The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Guess What This Is?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
WHAT IS THIS PRODUCT? TRY TO GUESS BASED ON ITS INGREDIENTS .....

NO CHEATING by searching GOOGLE ...

Most of us "consume" this in our lives. (I removed ingredients that might give it away)

Ammonium Chloride
Macrocystis Pyrifera Extract
Cocodimonium Hydroxypropyl Hydrologyzed Wheat Protein
Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate
Cocamidopropyl Betaine
Taraxacum Officinale Extract
Urtica Diocica
Polyquaternuim-39
Polyquarternium-28
Cocotrimonium Chloride
Tocopheryl Acetate
Biotin
Niacinamide
Ascorbic Acid
Panethenol
Citric Acid
Polysorbate 20
DMDM Hydantion
Disodium EDTA
Blue 1
Yellow 5

NO CHEATING!
Take a guess.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

hatterasguy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 29, 2008
Powerade/Gatorade?

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
My first guess was toothpaste.

Then I saw "Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate", which is an integral part of every shampoo bottle I've ever read (gotta read something in the shower, right? ;) )

So my vote goes to Shampoo-- but the citric acid is a new one-- that's used primarily as a preservative for food.

So I'm probably wrong--looking forward to learning what it is! :)

(probably a Big Mac or something!)

-Russ H.

PaulRobert

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
May 15, 2009
New Jersey
Well since blue and yellow make green and I'm allergic to Blue #1-- I think its gum.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Oops-- I missed the "Polyquaternium" on the first look-see. As I recall, most of my shampoos used Quaternium #5-- but I'll guess that Polyquaternium is a variant of that.

So I'm still gonna guess Shampoo-- perhaps the citric and ascorbic acids are to lighten or highlight?

Or perhaps its a "natural" or "botanical" shampoo, given the biotin and natural acids?

-Russ H.

bflbob

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jul 25, 2007
Endicott, New York, United States
That was my first guess too.

Hi Bob!! How are ya? :wave:

I've been good, but busy as heck.

Work is booming for us this year.

And...a shameless link -- > www.tendaytrends.com -- I've been really busy with this. The posts are up to date, but not posted to the blog yet.

Loving the weekly Mastermind sessions, too!
Thanks for steering us to them.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Hi Bobbo!

Missed ya round these parts!

-Russ H.

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007

This is what throws me. I don't think wheat protein would be an ingredient in anything unless is was edible. ...But then again the different types of acids and the coloring make me also think shampoo as blue and yellow= green and how many foods are dyed green? The sulfate part is a key ingredient in almost every type of non-professional line shampoo (sulfates contribute to hair loss--just FYI)

Okay, I'm going with some sort of over the counter shampoo that is green. Pert Plus?

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
This is fun!!!

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Odd bit of trivia:

One of my best friends from college was an engineer for Pert Plus (no lie!).

We still keep in touch. He has a twin (lots of twins in my life-- freaky).

-Russ H.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
At the end of the day I will reveal who is correct, if any.

TC2

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jun 30, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Ammonium Chloride - Bleach
Macrocystis Pyrifera Extract
Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate - Bleach
Cocamidopropyl Betaine - skin softener
Taraxacum Officinale Extract
Urtica Diocica
Polyquaternuim-39
Polyquarternium-28
Cocotrimonium Chloride - skin softener
Tocopheryl Acetate
Biotin
Niacinamide
Ascorbic Acid
Panethenol
Citric Acid
Polysorbate 20
DMDM Hydantion
Disodium EDTA
Blue 1
Yellow 5

Based on the bold words that I have seem, it looks like something related to skin protection. I guess it's sunblock or lotion that block UV light. Not sure why they use blue and yellow color, because it will turn out green.

Edit: If it's green. It may be the green muddy thing (facial mask) that women put on their face to make their skin smooth.

TC2

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jun 30, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
MJ:

BTW. Just curious what's the motivation behind this question?

Is that something you are investing or something you will give away as prize? You seem to have some interesting motivation behind this.

May be something that will scare all of us not to use some products out there?

:coco:

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Terence quit cheating. NO GOOGLING OF THE INGREDIENTS!

My motivation was to highlight the ingredients in some of these products we use daily. I'm not making a statement one way or another -- it is just interesting to see what things go into products -- and we use them without question.

The primary ingredient in this product is "Ammonium Chloride" and I thought to myself, if the product was really labeled in big bold letters "Ammonium Chloride" and not it's official description, would I not think twice about using it?

I was really caught off guard when I read the ingredient list as it read like an advanced chemistry textbook.

We have to learn to question everything. You are your ultimate protector. Just because it is on the store shelf might not mean it is healthy and/or safe.

Just because a studious man with a charming English accent on CNBC says "the recession is over" doesn't mean it is.

qwerety

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
May 26, 2008
Detroit, MI
My first guess was toothpaste.

Then I saw "Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate", which is an integral part of every shampoo bottle I've ever read (gotta read something in the shower, right? ;) )

So my vote goes to Shampoo-- but the citric acid is a new one-- that's used primarily as a preservative for food.

So I'm probably wrong--looking forward to learning what it is! :)

(probably a Big Mac or something!)

-Russ H.
As someone into health things I used to belong to a forum about health and Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate and Sodium Laureth Sulfate was talked about in shampoos, soaps, and other body care products. It was said to never use things that had those or an ingredient Cocamide DEA (may not be spelled correctly). I thought shampoo as well, but some ingredients don't seem to fit.
I see it has a wheat protein and some kind of extract. Extract could be used in any type of body care stuff, but the wheat protein leads me to believe it may be something for the hair. Doesn't mean its shampoo, it could be any hair care type product.

I don't have a specific guess, but I do guess its some type of hair care product. Not sure what type, because most hair care products have certain fragrance put in them as well (although MJ mentioned some ingredients were left off). If I had to guess though seeing as how I don't see any scents listed I will have to go with shampoo.

Its def some body care type product.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
The Answer Is ....

SHAMPOO!!

Ironically, this thread was inspired by looking at the PertPlus ingredient list ... it was a long list and I was shocked to realize that all shampoo seems to be a treasure trove of chemicals.

This exposes a need for organic/natural shampoo that is better marketed.

If the shampoo was labeled

"AMMONIUM CHLORIDE"

instead of

Herbal Moisturizing Shampoo

I'm sure some "greenies" would take notice if put into commercial form.

:nonod:

TC2

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jun 30, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Terence quit cheating. NO GOOGLING OF THE INGREDIENTS!

BTW, I did not cheat. I had problem with certain chemical in the past. Especially with sunblock that contains some coconut oil that make my eyes watering. I also worked in the research lab for two years. So have a little, but not very deep background in chemistry.

Anyway, you made good points. I guess that's why my sister-in law (major in Biochemistry) don't buy any artificial skin products. I guess when we are not worry about the foods on the table, we start paying attention on what we use and what we eat everyday. I also guess. Age plays an important role on buying decision.

qwerety

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
May 26, 2008
Detroit, MI
PhxMJ;101197[B said:
][/B]
Ironically, this thread was inspired by looking at the PertPlus ingredient list ... it was a long list and I was shocked to realize that all shampoo seems to be a treasure trove of chemicals.

This exposes a need for organic/natural shampoo that is better marketed.

If the shampoo was labeled

"AMMONIUM CHLORIDE"

instead of

Herbal Moisturizing Shampoo

I'm sure some "greenies" would take notice if put into commercial form.

:nonod:
Like I said in my last post I saw a couple of those ingredients mentioned as bad on this health forum and I went to find some more natural type shampoos. I found one at Trader Joes and it had all kinds of natural ingredients. I think it may have had 1 or so bad ingredient, I can't remember cause it was a couple years ago. I was happy to find one without all the chemicals. So, I finally use it and I discover that ironically it striped my hair worse than any other shampoo I had ever used. I was shocked and never used it again. The one I use now is better and it sucks but it has some of the same familiar chemicals in it. I'm not sure how Trader Joes could make a shampoo that striped hair so bad considering all the natural ingredients I saw including lots of moisturizing type ingredients.

There def is an open market to not only a more natural shampoo, but also one that doesn't strip your hair badly as well. There are more natural ones out there, but it certainly doesn't mean they work better.

*edit* just looked online and I think I found the ingredient list to that Trader Joes shampoo

Shampoo - Purified water, organic rosemary oil, organic valencia orange citrus, organic mango, organic lemongrass, organic ginko biloba, organic echinacea, organic willow bark, organic sea kelp, organic chamomile flower, organic textured soy protein, organic lavender, organic grapefruit, C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Tocopherol (Vit E), Citric Acid, Methylparaben, propylparaben, sea salt, botanical fragrance

idk which one, but one of those chemical ingredients really striped my hair badly.

I couldn't find a picture of the shampoo, but here is one of the conditioner. The bottle looks the exact same, but instead of a white liquid it has a clear liquid. Stay away and don't get no matter how tempting the nice ingredients seem.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.