The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Guys, stop! Money makes you mean.

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Carrots

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Apr 1, 2013
Texas
That's right, money makes you mean. According to this man's logical and flawless experiments we lose empathy, compassion, and charity the more money we accumulate. Personally, I can't see any mistakes in his experimental design. I mean look at all the video examples. So many results that support his hypothesis and he has like two videos per experiment that back up his claim.

/sarcasm

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

James Turchetto

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
32%
Dec 23, 2013
I watched the video a week or so ago. It's probably true for most of us if I'm being honest, having said that that it's a small sample size but they all show similar behavioural patterns. Now whether you want to deduce from that footage that we're all greedy, thoughtless and without doubt horrible pricks that's up to the general public. I'm pretty sure they'd support that notion, I've only just begun my journey so I can't comment from a personal perspective but I already have the mindset to help family (Parents/siblings) and no one else. If that means I lack empathy so be it, and if I'm successful at what I do, yeah I may brag a bit but not intentionally it'd just be so unfamiliar to what I'm used to, why shouldn't I revel in the moment.

I think that's the biggest issue with the sample footage, it's simple people revelling in the situation they've found themselves in and yeah were going to be dicks when things are swung so heavily in our favour, why it's a surprise I don't know. I definitely feel there's a case to be made on both sides, however to generalise as they have, leads to a poor study.

Last edited:

Gale4rc

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Sep 23, 2013
It's true, i've seen a lot more studies too that all say the same thing

Carrots

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Apr 1, 2013
Texas
It's true, i've seen a lot more studies too that all say the same thing

Anybody familiar with fields of science and research fully understands that with any study you can find many others that will say the exact opposite and vice versa.

Gale4rc

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Sep 23, 2013
lets see it then :)

Carrots

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Apr 1, 2013
Texas
You're the one who said you found many studies supporting his claim

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
I did not watch the video and will not.

I don't need to read studies or watch videos as I can point to real life experiences. Money magnifies the personality and character (or lack of). If you're a loving, compassionate person without money, you'll be an even greater loving and compassionate person with money. If you're a greedy jackass... you get my point.

I've known a certain individual for 25 years. The first 12-13 years I knew him he was broke as can be. He was arrogant, condescending, argumentative, selfish and an all around jackass. His business has experienced tons of growth and success since then and he is even worse now than he was before.

Another person who has struggled with living above her means for as long as I've known her (my whole life). She was a compulsive shopper (couple hundred thousand dollars in cc debt), very critical of others and pretentious. She came into lots of money, paid off all debts but within 10 years she's back in the same situation - out of money and high cc debt. I thought she was bad before but she unbearable to be around now.

Personal and close friends of mine (married couple) have lived a feast or famine lifestyle for as long as I've known them (20 yrs) and are very humble. When business is tough and there's not much money coming in they are still very compassionate and help others where they can. They support a few very great causes and charities. When large checks come in (100k-300k) their giving goes up exponentially. By the way, they have been some of the best friends we've ever had and I'd even say when the large checks do come in they seem even more humbled.

beatgoezon

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Aug 31, 2013
I've noticed the same thing, a good financial situation amplifies what's already inside you.

If you think becoming wealthy will bring greed, arrogance, and showing off your possessions, then it's very possible you have these qualities within you already.

Cleanse yourself, develop a purer character, and you will have no problems when you're wealthy.

davedev

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
372%
Jun 3, 2013
Florida
I've noticed the same thing, a good financial situation amplifies what's already inside you.

Right on. But seems that it's our first instinct to blame the nearest object instead of taking that inward look.

Money is just a tool that allows you to acquire more of whatever you value.

Phones

Break your boundaries
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Aug 13, 2011
Praia da Areia Branca, Portugal
Money gives you freedom to show more of who you are, that's all.

smarty

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 2, 2013
:totalbs:
For you who think that money makes you mean, I will be glad to collect your money in my PayPal. PM me for details.
Just trying to make you feel better & happier without money ;)

Last edited:

Viral

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Nov 18, 2013
Estonia
Money tends come a lot harder when the source is out of desperation or anything out of abundance.It will start to drag one down and put breaks on, even worse it can backfire and reverse.The need for always more and more money comes out of competition and fear in our economy, cause capital is an huge factor to survival and/or growth.

When i studied some characteristics of successful teenage millionaires or just generally young people who excel at a field, sport or hobby than they ought to be the purest among the purest of people driven with immense passion towards their vision.
-

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.