Hi Fastlaners,
My name is Werner Guldenpfennig and I live in South Africa, I am 24 years old and I love business. I'm currently enrolled in University studying a Business degree majoring in Business management.
My road so far has good and bad, but the bad has taught me more about myself and what i want in life.
I started off enrolling in a Chemistry and Polymer science degree, but quickly became unhappy realising that i would be stuck in a lab under strict rules, i discontinued that course and decided upon a business degree.
At that time it felt right to me, i believed studying a business degree would help me in understanding how to successfully start a company and become my own boss, I was wrong.The degree focused more on being an employee than a problem solver or how to start a successful company.
I continued my studies feeling empty, at that time I was enjoying a hobby called Specimen Carp Angling, and the sport started to take off in South Africa, however equipment was really expensive as everything was imported from the UK.
I decided that it would be a great idea to start an online shop and import the products myself, I delved deeper into the cost of these products and found out that the products were far cheaper than what the normal retail stores were charging us.
I borrowed $500 from my father, and partnered with a guy that could develop the website for me. The store became a great success, people got what they needed at a price they have never been able to receive, I also developed my own bait which did extremely well and was the top selling product in the store.
The bad that happened with the store, being inexperienced with selecting partners, i unfortunately chose someone that did not share the same vision I had, and the same customer service ethic. My vision was to import and re-brand products directly from the OEM and make my own brand of tackle, make a large profit on the gear but still be cheaper than imported tackle, providing great quality and value to our customers. My partner disagreed and we argued for sometime, I decided that the business wont last long if it continues as he thinks it should, so i cut my losses and sold. I sold my share for $10000.
A few months after i sold out, a new competitor entered the market and did exactly what i planned, and stole the majority of the clients from my old business. The fishing store taught me a million times more than what University has taught me so far, and that experience was priceless.
I believe that I was born to do business, and that i still have a million more things to learn, but i accept that there will be hurdles and broken bones, but the lessons taught by those incidents make you a much better businessman in the long run.
So lets talk business!
My name is Werner Guldenpfennig and I live in South Africa, I am 24 years old and I love business. I'm currently enrolled in University studying a Business degree majoring in Business management.
My road so far has good and bad, but the bad has taught me more about myself and what i want in life.
I started off enrolling in a Chemistry and Polymer science degree, but quickly became unhappy realising that i would be stuck in a lab under strict rules, i discontinued that course and decided upon a business degree.
At that time it felt right to me, i believed studying a business degree would help me in understanding how to successfully start a company and become my own boss, I was wrong.The degree focused more on being an employee than a problem solver or how to start a successful company.
I continued my studies feeling empty, at that time I was enjoying a hobby called Specimen Carp Angling, and the sport started to take off in South Africa, however equipment was really expensive as everything was imported from the UK.
I decided that it would be a great idea to start an online shop and import the products myself, I delved deeper into the cost of these products and found out that the products were far cheaper than what the normal retail stores were charging us.
I borrowed $500 from my father, and partnered with a guy that could develop the website for me. The store became a great success, people got what they needed at a price they have never been able to receive, I also developed my own bait which did extremely well and was the top selling product in the store.
The bad that happened with the store, being inexperienced with selecting partners, i unfortunately chose someone that did not share the same vision I had, and the same customer service ethic. My vision was to import and re-brand products directly from the OEM and make my own brand of tackle, make a large profit on the gear but still be cheaper than imported tackle, providing great quality and value to our customers. My partner disagreed and we argued for sometime, I decided that the business wont last long if it continues as he thinks it should, so i cut my losses and sold. I sold my share for $10000.
A few months after i sold out, a new competitor entered the market and did exactly what i planned, and stole the majority of the clients from my old business. The fishing store taught me a million times more than what University has taught me so far, and that experience was priceless.
I believe that I was born to do business, and that i still have a million more things to learn, but i accept that there will be hurdles and broken bones, but the lessons taught by those incidents make you a much better businessman in the long run.
So lets talk business!
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
