What's new

How 5 months on this forum changed my life, could it change yours too?

Anything related to matters of the mind

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 38,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Forum membership removes this block and all non-sponsor ads.

theguy22

Contributor
LEGACY MEMBER
Hi all,

So I guess this would be a good time to introduce myself. I'm T from London, 25. I graduated last year from a fairly top university in the UK and am currently working a corporate finance job in the city. I hate it, and I want to change my life through business.

It's been nearly 5 months since I finished reading TMF and joined this forum. I remember my general reaction after reading the book, 'err, so I know I need to start a business, I know I need to solve problems, but erm, what on earth can I actually do?'.

I think when you're a complete newbie in business, this is always your natural reaction. You know you need to solve problems, but you don't know where to look. You may find certain problems, but you don't know how to go about solving them. There is a strong impostor syndrome you experience in that you don't believe that you have what it takes to create something valuable.

But the problem here isn't that you're not competent enough, the problem here is that you don't know that there are people like you, perhaps much less smarter, who are making money, lots of money, doing stuff that you can do too, better. The difference between you and them is that they felt less of a hesitancy when it came to actually taking action and starting that business. But why is that? What gave them the confidence to start and overcome any initial fears?

To answer this, I think it's interesting to look at how people make decisions when it comes to the things they devote a large portion of their lives to. One major example of this is career. Most people don't choose their career by thoroughly researching all the possible opportunities out there, weighing up the pros and cons and considering their own relevant skillsets, no. Most people choose their careers based on what's in their bubble of possibilities. For example, if you know a lot about the process of how to become a doctor— you know the grades and work experience required and the exact route you need to take—and let's say you have some family members who are doctors, then becoming a doctor to you will probably seem a lot easier than to someone who has no knowledge of the process. Or at least you will have a lot less hesitancy in pursuing that career than someone who was completely unfamiliar to it. In this scenario, becoming a doctor is something that is well within your bubble of possibilities. It's something you know the exact process for and should you decide to pursue it, you know exactly what you need to do. However, if someone tells you to, say, become a Typeface Designer, you'll feel a lot more hesitant even if it earns more. It's too far from your bubble of possibilities. It's too unfamiliar. You don't know anyone who's done it, you don't know how much the job pays, you don't know the path it requires and you don't know whether people like you do well in it. There's just too much friction.

You see, the more something is within our bubble of possibilities, the more confident and less hesitant we feel when it comes to pursuing it. The problem with when you're a complete beginner in business, and lived a scripted life your while life, is that your bubble of possibilities is too small. You don't know many people on a personal level that have done well in business. You don't know the process and steps behind creating a product and launching it. You don't know what the hell sales or marketing is. All of these don't-knows create friction.

Friction = Hesitance => Inaction

The greatest thing that this forum has done for me in the past 5 months is that it has added so many things to my bubble of possibilities. I've read countless examples of exactly how people have started certain businesses and made them a success. You see when you actually read case studies of processes and execution in action, your brain sort of goes 'ah, you know what, I could actually do that too'. Once you feel that feeling, that thing suddenly becomes a part of your bubble of possibilities because, well, it now seems more possible for you to do.

My advice to any complete newbie to this forum would be to read actual case studies on execution. Start making things feel more possible by seeing exactly how they're done by people like yourself. I think these psychological things make a huge difference. We feel a lot more confident about doing something if they have been done successfully by people that look, talk, walk and dress like us. The problem is that people in our real life circles have never created anything or started a business, not because they can't, but because they are still living the scripted lifestyle whereas you are closer to escaping it than they are. They haven't started the same reason you hadn't, it's too unfamiliar territory. It's only natural that you feel apprehensive and scared, I don't blame you. Heck, I was and probably to some extent still am the same. But this forum right here, it's full of people just like you who are making money, just like you could too. Read their specific case studies. Interact with them. Ask questions. Start pushing things into your bubble of possibilities.

BUT

...practice to act. Do not get lost in analysis paralysis. The chances are, even if something enters your bubble of possibilities, you will still fail. But that's ok. Zoom out, the point at this point in your entrepreneurial career isn't to hit a home run on first attempt, it's to get in the practice of doing. Do and fail as much as you can and as fast as you can. One day you'll hit that home run.

Last edited:
Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circle, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today
Ximduni vu vji gusan. (Cimevif)

Jo emm,

Tu O haitt vjot xuamf ci e huuf voni vu opvsufadi nztimg. O'n V gsun Mupfup, 25. O hsefaevif metv zies gsun e geosmz vuq apowistovz op vji AL epf en dassipvmz xusloph e dusqusevi gopepdi kuc op vji dovz. O jevi ov, epf O xepv vu djephi nz mogi vjsuahj catopitt.

Ov't ciip piesmz 5 nupvjt topdi O gopotjif siefoph VNG epf kuopif vjot gusan. O sinincis nz hipisem siedvoup egvis siefoph vji cuul, 'iss, tu O lpux O piif vu tvesv e catopitt, O lpux O piif vu tumwi qsucmint, cav isn, xjev up iesvj dep O edvaemmz fu?'.

O vjopl xjip zua'si e dunqmivi pixcoi op catopitt, vjot ot emxezt zuas pevasem siedvoup. Zua lpux zua piif vu tumwi qsucmint, cav zua fup'v lpux xjisi vu muul. Zua nez gopf disveop qsucmint, cav zua fup'v lpux jux vu hu ecuav tumwoph vjin. Vjisi ot e tvsuph onqutvus tzpfsuni zua iyqisoipdi op vjev zua fup'v cimoiwi vjev zua jewi xjev ov velit vu dsievi tunivjoph wemaecmi.

Cav vji qsucmin jisi otp'v vjev zua'si puv dunqivipv ipuahj, vji qsucmin jisi ot vjev zua fup'v lpux vjev vjisi esi qiuqmi moli zua, qisjeqt nadj mitt tnesvis, xju esi neloph nupiz, muvt ug nupiz, fuoph tvagg vjev zua dep fu vuu, civvis. Vji foggisipdi civxiip zua epf vjin ot vjev vjiz gimv mitt ug e jitovepdz xjip ov deni vu edvaemmz veloph edvoup epf tvesvoph vjev catopitt. Cav xjz ot vjev? Xjev hewi vjin vji dupgofipdi vu tvesv epf uwisduni epz opovoem giest?

Vu eptxis vjot, O vjopl ov't opvisitvoph vu muul ev jux qiuqmi neli fidotoupt xjip ov dunit vu vji vjopht vjiz fiwuvi e meshi qusvoup ug vjios mowit vu. Upi nekus iyenqmi ug vjot ot desiis. Nutv qiuqmi fup'v djuuti vjios desiis cz vjusuahjmz sitiesdjoph emm vji quttocmi uqqusvapovoit uav vjisi, xiohjoph aq vji qsut epf dupt epf duptofisoph vjios uxp simiwepv tlommtivt, pu. Nutv qiuqmi djuuti vjios desiist cetif up xjev't op vjios caccmi ug quttocomovoit. Gus iyenqmi, og zua lpux e muv ecuav vji qsuditt ug jux vu ciduni e fudvus— zua lpux vji hsefit epf xusl iyqisoipdi siraosif epf vji iyedv suavi zua piif vu veli—epf miv't tez zua jewi tuni genomz nincist xju esi fudvust, vjip cidunoph e fudvus vu zua xomm qsucecmz tiin e muv ietois vjep vu tuniupi xju jet pu lpuxmifhi ug vji qsuditt. Us ev mietv zua xomm jewi e muv mitt jitovepdz op qastaoph vjev desiis vjep tuniupi xju xet dunqmivimz apgenomoes vu ov. Op vjot tdipesou, cidunoph e fudvus ot tunivjoph vjev ot ximm xovjop zuas caccmi ug quttocomovoit. Ov't tunivjoph zua lpux vji iyedv qsuditt gus epf tjuamf zua fidofi vu qastai ov, zua lpux iyedvmz xjev zua piif vu fu. Juxiwis, og tuniupi vimmt zua vu, tez, ciduni e Vzqigedi Fitohpis, zua'mm giim e muv nusi jitovepv iwip og ov iespt nusi. Ov't vuu ges gsun zuas caccmi ug quttocomovoit. Ov't vuu apgenomoes. Zua fup'v lpux epzupi xju't fupi ov, zua fup'v lpux jux nadj vji kuc qezt, zua fup'v lpux vji qevj ov siraosit epf zua fup'v lpux xjivjis qiuqmi moli zua fu ximm op ov. Vjisi't katv vuu nadj gsodvoup.

Zua tii, vji nusi tunivjoph ot xovjop uas caccmi ug quttocomovoit, vji nusi dupgofipv epf mitt jitovepv xi giim xjip ov dunit vu qastaoph ov. Vji qsucmin xovj xjip zua'si e dunqmivi cihoppis op catopitt, epf mowif e tdsoqvif mogi zuas xjomi mogi, ot vjev zuas caccmi ug quttocomovoit ot vuu tnemm. Zua fup'v lpux nepz qiuqmi up e qistupem miwim vjev jewi fupi ximm op catopitt. Zua fup'v lpux vji qsuditt epf tviqt cijopf dsievoph e qsufadv epf meapdjoph ov. Zua fup'v lpux xjev vji jimm temit us neslivoph ot. Emm ug vjiti fup'v-lpuxt dsievi gsodvoup.

Gsodvoup = Jitovepdi => Opedvoup

Vji hsievitv vjoph vjev vjot gusan jet fupi gus ni op vji qetv 5 nupvjt ot vjev ov jet effif tu nepz vjopht vu nz caccmi ug quttocomovoit. O'wi sief duapvmitt iyenqmit ug iyedvmz jux qiuqmi jewi tvesvif disveop catopittit epf nefi vjin e tadditt. Zua tii xjip zua edvaemmz sief deti tvafoit ug qsudittit epf iyidavoup op edvoup, zuas cseop tusv ug huit 'ej, zua lpux xjev, O duamf edvaemmz fu vjev vuu'. Updi zua giim vjev giimoph, vjev vjoph taffipmz cidunit e qesv ug zuas caccmi ug quttocomovoit cideati, ximm, ov pux tiint nusi quttocmi gus zua vu fu.

Nz efwodi vu epz dunqmivi pixcoi vu vjot gusan xuamf ci vu sief edvaem deti tvafoit up iyidavoup. Tvesv neloph vjopht giim nusi quttocmi cz tiioph iyedvmz jux vjiz'si fupi cz qiuqmi moli zuastimg. O vjopl vjiti qtzdjumuhodem vjopht neli e jahi foggisipdi. Xi giim e muv nusi dupgofipv ecuav fuoph tunivjoph og vjiz jewi ciip fupi taddittgammz cz qiuqmi vjev muul, veml, xeml epf fsitt moli at. Vji qsucmin ot vjev qiuqmi op uas siem mogi dosdmit jewi piwis dsievif epzvjoph us tvesvif e catopitt, puv cideati vjiz dep'v, cav cideati vjiz esi tvomm mowoph vji tdsoqvif mogitvzmi xjisiet zua esi dmutis vu itdeqoph ov vjep vjiz esi. Vjiz jewip'v tvesvif vji teni sietup zua jefp'v, ov't vuu apgenomoes vissovusz. Ov't upmz pevasem vjev zua giim eqqsijiptowi epf tdesif, O fup'v cmeni zua. Jidl, O xet epf qsucecmz vu tuni iyvipv tvomm en vji teni. Cav vjot gusan sohjv jisi, ov't gamm ug qiuqmi katv moli zua xju esi neloph nupiz, katv moli zua duamf vuu. Sief vjios tqidogod deti tvafoit. Opvisedv xovj vjin. Etl raitvoupt. Tvesv qatjoph vjopht opvu zuas caccmi ug quttocomovoit.

CAV

...qsedvodi vu edv. Fu puv hiv mutv op epemztot qesemztot. Vji djepdit esi, iwip og tunivjoph ipvist zuas caccmi ug quttocomovoit, zua xomm tvomm geom. Cav vjev't ul. Buun uav, vji quopv ev vjot quopv op zuas ipvsiqsipiasoem desiis otp'v vu jov e juni sap up gostv evvinqv, ov't vu hiv op vji qsedvodi ug fuoph. Fu epf geom et nadj et zua dep epf et getv et zua dep. Upi fez zua'mm jov vjev juni sap.
Ectumavimz hsiev tvagg jisi. O qistupemmz dep simevi, jewoph sitvesvif mogi metv zies huoph cedl vu tdjuum vu gopotj e dunqavis tdoipdi fihsii. O jewi taddittgam qiuqmi op nz genomz, cav pu catopitt uxpist. Xjip vjiz iwip jies vji qjseti "tvesv e catopitt" nutv tjavvis ev vji vjuahjv cideati vu vjin ov't tu opdsifocmz onquttocmi. Vjiz emm mowi vji tdsoqvif mogi, xipv vu tdjuum jewi y z b fihsiit epf fu simevowimz ximm cav vjiz'si puv gopepdoemmz gsii. Vjot gusan, jet tmuxmz jimqif ni tvesv nuwoph vuxesft neloph ov nusi ug e siemovz cav O'n tvomm tvsahhmoph. O lpux ov'mm veli voni, epf vjev't ul et muph et O'n nuwoph gusxesf. O siemmz eqqsidoevif vjot sief.

Ximduni vu vji Gusan :)

Jo @vjihaz22 , hsiev qutv, siemmz opvisitvoph. O vjopl vjot ot tunivjoph iwisz quvipvoem ipvsiqsipias taggist xovj cav zua'wi nepehif vu taddittgammz qav ov opvu xusft. Ov tuapft moli zua jewi vji sohjv nopftiv; dep O ipraosi et vu vji taddittit zua'wi jef sidipvmz?

26, Mupfup jisi.

Opvisitvoph qutv.

Ov’t podi epf emm vjev zua jewi e civvis apfistvepfoph ug xjz uvjist neli ov. Huoph vjsuahj zuas caccmit ug quttocomovoit, xjisi esi zua sohjv pux?

Zua nipvoupif e des qsufadv, nezci timmoph vjsuahj ivtz? Pux zua’si miespoph xic fiw gus vji teni qsufadv?

Jo @vjihaz22 , hsiev qutv, siemmz opvisitvoph. O vjopl vjot ot tunivjoph iwisz quvipvoem ipvsiqsipias taggist xovj cav zua'wi nepehif vu taddittgammz qav ov opvu xusft. Ov tuapft moli zua jewi vji sohjv nopftiv; dep O ipraosi et vu vji taddittit zua'wi jef sidipvmz?

Ectumavimz! Pu jesf taddittit et ug ziv O'n egseof, katv viedjoph nztimg jux vu dufi epf xusloph up ep idunnisdi ivtz/enebup qsufadv ev vji nunipv. Tii cimux

26, Mupfup jisi.

Opvisitvoph qutv.

Ov’t podi epf emm vjev zua jewi e civvis apfistvepfoph ug xjz uvjist neli ov. Huoph vjsuahj zuas caccmit ug quttocomovoit, xjisi esi zua sohjv pux?

Zua nipvoupif e des qsufadv, nezci timmoph vjsuahj ivtz? Pux zua’si miespoph xic fiw gus vji teni qsufadv?
O'n miespoph xic fiwimuqnipv op hipisem et e johj nesliv-wemai tlomm vu jewi. Vji des qsufadv ofie ot tunivjoph vjev O jewi migv vu duni cedl vu mevis qisjeqt, O'n raovi tasi vjev ov't puv iwip dassipvmz quttocmi gsun ep iphopiisoph quopv ug woix apmitt O jewi e coh S&F cafhiv vu gohasi ov uav. Tu ov't tunivjoph vjev xuamf siraosi e geos cov ug opovoem deqovem. Zit dassipvmz xusloph up ep ivtz/enebup qsufadv gus xjodj O xomm dsievi ovt uxp idunnisdi xictovi vuu. Miespoph gedicuul eft up vji tofi vu taqqusv ov. Vji huem xovj vji metv upi ot vu katv hiv nz jepft fosvz epf vu hiv op vji jecov ug veloph edvoup epf geomoph. Ov't puv tunivjoph getvmepi ev emm cav ev vji nunipv nz eon ot vu katv tvesv tnemm, hiv tuni geomasit apfis nz cimv epf miesp op vji qsuditt et O hu emuph.

Ectumavimz! Pu jesf taddittit et ug ziv O'n egseof, katv viedjoph nztimg jux vu dufi epf xusloph up ep idunnisdi ivtz/enebup qsufadv ev vji nunipv. Tii cimux

O'n miespoph xic fiwimuqnipv op hipisem et e johj nesliv-wemai tlomm vu jewi. Vji des qsufadv ofie ot tunivjoph vjev O jewi migv vu duni cedl vu mevis qisjeqt, O'n raovi tasi vjev ov't puv iwip dassipvmz quttocmi gsun ep iphopiisoph quopv ug woix apmitt O jewi e coh S&F cafhiv vu gohasi ov uav. Tu ov't tunivjoph vjev xuamf siraosi e geos cov ug opovoem deqovem. Zit dassipvmz xusloph up ep ivtz/enebup qsufadv gus xjodj O xomm dsievi ovt uxp idunnisdi xictovi vuu. Miespoph gedicuul eft up vji tofi vu taqqusv ov. Vji huem xovj vji metv upi ot vu katv hiv nz jepft fosvz epf vu hiv op vji jecov ug veloph edvoup epf geomoph. Ov't puv tunivjoph getvmepi ev emm cav ev vji nunipv nz eon ot vu katv tvesv tnemm, hiv tuni geomasit apfis nz cimv epf miesp op vji qsuditt et O hu emuph.
Miv ni lpux og zua piif jimq xovj epzvjoph Ivtz/Gc eft.

Vjot ot xjev vji gusan ot ecuav. Qsuwofoph wemai.

Miv ni lpux og zua piif jimq xovj epzvjoph Ivtz/Gc eft.

Vjot ot xjev vji gusan ot ecuav. Qsuwofoph wemai.
Vjeplt nep! O nohjv jewi vu veli zua aq up vjot wisz tuup!

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circle, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today

Welcome to an Entrepreneurial Revolution

The Fastlane Forum empowers you to break free from conventional thinking to achieve financial freedom through UNSCRIPTED® Entrepreneurship where relative value and problem-solving are executed at scale. Living Unscripted® isn’t just a business strategy—it’s a way of life.

Follow MJ DeMarco

Get The Books that Change Lives...

The Fastlane entrepreneurial strategy is based on the CENTS Framework® which is based on the three best-selling books by MJ DeMarco.

mj demarco books
Back
Top Bottom