The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How do I get them to trust me!!

Marketing, social media, advertising

Kalactose

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jan 21, 2022
So I have opened a laundry shop for a few weeks now and I have been getting customers around the area which is nice, but my ambition is to get sales from clients that are not in my area and be the top laundry shop in my state within 1 year.

For now I'm focusing on passing out flyers with free pickup and delivery - My problem is that I cannot get people to pick up the phone, this is because they fear their clothes might be stolen because it might not be a legit company. I have also put up 5 banners in different areas but no one has called me- So how do I get them to trust my shop from giving out the flyers?

I thought a possible way is to give out collateral to the customer but I feel like this is too impractical. Please I would appreciate any helpful tips. Thanks.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Plushy

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Jun 19, 2023
USA
My problem is that I cannot get people to pick up the phone, this is because they fear their clothes might be stolen because it might not be a legit company
I feel like this is a problem, because lots of people don't like calling or might have social anxiety.

What if you had a website portal where clients can schedule pick ups / deliveries, and have an app to show the progress of their laundry? I think the more information people have, like if you have a fb page and ig showing your laundromat, the more people will trust. Have Google reviews from past clients.

You can also consider something to give them as a gift, like hey here's a coupon for your friends/family. People will trust you more the more you go out of your way to show them benevolence and show that you understand their needs, including understanding how them calling you is too much work for a client who's already shakily taking a chance in a new business with their precious belongings. Maybe you can have some sort of guarantee like "if we lose your clothes, you get a $100 coupon" or something. I liked my moving company bc they had an app to track the truck and if they lost my belongings they will give me money back. These are just ideas, I have no experience running a laundromat so take it with a grain of salt.

and be the top laundry shop in my state within 1 year.
I really think if you show real time progress of the laundry, that would be a huge advantage over others. I went to a tour of a dorm recently and I found out their machines are linked to an app that shows when it's done, and it makes it very appealing to me.

Len_1590

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 13, 2023
My problem is that I cannot get people to pick up the phone, this is because they fear their clothes might be stolen because it might not be a legit company
I feel like this is a problem, because lots of people don't like calling or might have social anxiety.

What if you had a website portal where clients can schedule pick ups / deliveries, and have an app to show the progress of their laundry? I think the more information people have, like if you have a fb page and ig showing your laundromat, the more people will trust. Have Google reviews from past clients.

You can also consider something to give them as a gift, like hey here's a coupon for your friends/family. People will trust you more the more you go out of your way to show them benevolence and show that you understand their needs, including understanding how them calling you is too much work for a client who's already shakily taking a chance in a new business with their precious belongings. Maybe you can have some sort of guarantee like "if we lose your clothes, you get a $100 coupon" or something. I liked my moving company bc they had an app to track the truck and if they lost my belongings they will give me money back. These are just ideas, I have no experience running a laundromat so take it with a grain of salt.

I really think if you show real time progress of the laundry, that would be a huge advantage over others. I went to a tour of a dorm recently and I found out their machines are linked to an app that shows when it's done, and it makes it very appealing to me.
The idea of showing the progress of laundry sounds game changing to me, but maybe I'm out of touch.
Could also save on other things like people ringing to find out when they can collect.

I've got very little to add, but genuinely thought this was a great idea - particularly if the goal could be, for example hotels and they can track how their next delivery of towels, bed sheets etc is going and when it will arrive. Removes some uncertainty for them in planning

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
285%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
So I have opened a laundry shop for a few weeks now and I have been getting customers around the area which is nice, but my ambition is to get sales from clients that are not in my area and be the top laundry shop in my state within 1 year.

For now I'm focusing on passing out flyers with free pickup and delivery -

My problem is that I cannot get people to pick up the phone, this is because they fear their clothes might be stolen because it might not be a legit company. I have also put up 5 banners in different areas but no one has called me- So how do I get them to trust my shop from giving out the flyers?

Maybe I misunderstand what you're calling a laundry shop... what services are you offering?

Why would anyone need to call you?

Are you sure people think you're going to steal their clothes? Where is your shop located?

I thought a possible way is to give out collateral to the customer but I feel like this is too impractical. Please I would appreciate any helpful tips. Thanks.

The stats around dry cleaners have proven again and again that if you can get someone to come in 3 times, you will have that customer for life.

So the strategy becomes to give them an insanely inexpensive offer the first time, do an INCREDIBLE job... and give them a coupon for the 2nd time with less (but still great) of a discount... and then do the same for the third time.

Build a list of email and/or text messages (or WhatsApp if you are outside of the States).

The next strategy involves finding B2B customers. What businesses do you have in your local area that require uniforms? Hospitals, Dentists, Private schools, Janitorial services -- what sort of company needs routine cleaning of their clothes?

Finally, learn to maximize every customer. Not only with upsells and cross-sells but with referrals.

Kalactose

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jan 21, 2022

Thank you for your reply Plushylad. Most people do not engage with websites or apps in my country, also the upfront cost will be very high for me to do that. I wanted to open a Facebook page but my laundromat is very small, not huge and confidence inspiring, but my work is the best, better than any competitors.

Unfortunately, saying guarantees like "if we lose your clothes, you get a $100 coupon" is a huge NO NO in my country as it will be immediately taken as a scam. I, myself do not take any service seriously from my country that has bold guarantees.

You can also consider something to give them as a gift, like hey here's a coupon for your friends/family. This is an amazing idea. I know exactly what to give out as a gift.

My plan is to find the infinite money glitch, If I am able to get people who are from different areas to use my service, then I can scale insanely and grow incredibly fast. Most local companies have their clients finding them physically, but if I can remove the physical part and make them trust me without actually going to the shop on ground, which I know it's possible, I just need to scratch my head long enough, then I have hit the infinite money glitch. Thank you for your reply and if you have any more tips, please share them with me.

Kalactose

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jan 21, 2022
Maybe I misunderstand what you're calling a laundry shop... what services are you offering?

Why would anyone need to call you?

Are you sure people think you're going to steal their clothes? Where is your shop located?

The stats around dry cleaners have proven again and again that if you can get someone to come in 3 times, you will have that customer for life.

So the strategy becomes to give them an insanely inexpensive offer the first time, do an INCREDIBLE job... and give them a coupon for the 2nd time with less (but still great) of a discount... and then do the same for the third time.

Build a list of email and/or text messages (or WhatsApp if you are outside of the States).

The next strategy involves finding B2B customers. What businesses do you have in your local area that require uniforms? Hospitals, Dentists, Private schools, Janitorial services -- what sort of company needs routine cleaning of their clothes?

Finally, learn to maximize every customer. Not only with upsells and cross-sells but with referrals.
Thank you for your reply Steve. My services are washing and dry cleaning, I'm trying to scale the laundromart by finding clients that are not in my area - so I'm giving our flyers and posting banners - The problem is most people in my country are accustomed to going to the laundromarts or any shop in general and actually seeing it before purchasing their services. Basically, they only trust it's a real company if they see it with their own eyes - I'm trying to solve this problem. How do I make them trust that I'm actually a legit company without them actually visiting my shop?

The strategy you gave looks excellent, I would definitely implement it. I would also look for b2b customers. You seem like you have some experience in this field. Are there any specific challenges you faced? What advice would you give for someone starting a new laundromat?

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
285%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
Thank you for your reply Steve. My services are washing and dry cleaning, I'm trying to scale the laundromart by finding clients that are not in my area - so I'm giving our flyers and posting banners - The problem is most people in my country are accustomed to going to the laundromarts or any shop in general and actually seeing it before purchasing their services. Basically, they only trust it's a real company if they see it with their own eyes - I'm trying to solve this problem. How do I make them trust that I'm actually a legit company without them actually visiting my shop?

What country? What city?

How far away are you targeting? Do locals have reliable transportation? Is it on their way to/from work? If they ARE too far away, do they need a reliable pickup/delivery service?

I do not believe anybody thinks you're going to steal their clothes. (Lose them, maybe, but this sounds like a limiting belief not grounded in reality.) BUT -- to just play along -- What are you doing to prove your professionalism? Do you yourselves have uniforms? Do you participate in community events as a sponsor? Are you asking your current customers for referrals? Are you getting more business from people who already know, like, and trust you and your service?

Many years ago I had a martial arts school in a city of 11,000. I had a little over 12% of the population training with me. I was absolutely maxed out. I decided to sell the business but the only thing that would have made sense would have been to open a second satellite location.

Maybe you don't have the income yet to expand but you haven't said much about your actual situation. If you're trying to convince someone who is an hour away to bring their clothes into your shop -- you're going to struggle. No amount of sales or marketing skills will make up for poor location or convenience.

The strategy you gave looks excellent, I would definitely implement it. I would also look for b2b customers. You seem like you have some experience in this field. Are there any specific challenges you faced? What advice would you give for someone starting a new laundromat?

I looked into purchasing a drycleaners many years ago but did not end up buying it.

My stepmother owned a scrubs shop (medical uniforms) and would sell to many of the hospitals, clinics, and elderly care homes in the area directly. Every one of those facilities either needed a cleaner nearby or they had to have facilities in-house.

You would be surprised to know how many hotels and care facilities do NOT have their own cleaning on property.

I'm just a marketing guy who has been around the block a couple times.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
258%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska

You might also try a pick-up service for hotels and long-term-stay motels. They sure need laundry services.

I would try for referral business. I'd hang a flier on each order that has 2 detachable discount coupons. One discount is for their next order and the other one is for their referral. The coupon for the referred person would have a place for the current customer to print his name as the giver. That way you know who referred them and it's more personal. Then do the same flier again with the referred customer. And again...

That can create clusters of customers you can target with specials and ads. I can see those clusters getting their own name like a team or a private club. And then competing against one another for special treatments or sales. It could be a lot of fun and a real marketing opportunity. Just a thought...

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Jun 3, 2015

What extra service are you giving to someone for leaving their area?

Why wouldn't they just go to one near to them?

I think your ambitions may need to be adjusted to making your laundry as successful as possible, and then maybe down the line trying to acquire new premises in other areas.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ

For now I'm focusing on passing out flyers with free pickup and delivery - My problem is that I cannot get people to pick up the phone, this is because they fear their clothes might be stolen because it might not be a legit company. I have also put up 5 banners in different areas but no one has called me- So how do I get them to trust my shop from giving out the flyers?

Do you have a physical location? Maybe show photos of it on the flyer?

I was recently in Bali and we outsourced our laundry to a service. Then as we were riding down the street we saw people doing laundry by a river and we thought, what if the person we gave our clothes to is literally hand washing our clothes in the river? We never even thought to ask. We just assumed they were tossing it into a washing machine. Lol

By the way, the thought of them stealing our laundry, never occurred to us.

nopalmer

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Feb 7, 2023

It's a pity not to consider a website, but I believe you know better what would work in your country. Online presence in any form (a website being the best option) is pretty much a must nowadays. As for the cost, some platforms offer a free plan that would be more than enough, at least at the beginning. Even a Facebook page would help because you could add photos and at least try to get people to engage and leave a review. The more reviews, the more legit your business appears to be in the eyes of potential customers. Either way, I wish you to stay persistent and be patient. Just don't wait for too long to adjust the strategy that's not giving results. Also, since you're sharing flyers now, make sure they're well designed and don't look cheap. This could play a role too.

sanderdehoogh

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Jul 3, 2023
I'm also curious where you are based, it might make it easier to come up with ideas of what you can try. Any input?

Trust often comes from others, provide proof points from people in the community. Online is usually great for this, but any network would do. If your culture is (for example) built around a close knit community, find the places where people go to and get the people who run those on board. It is always ten times more valuable if someone else says your shop is great, rather than you saying the same thing with a flyer.

Offering discounts in my opinion may draw people to your shop, but it won't solve the issue of trying to build trust without them visiting you. Find advocates who share with others how great your shop is, I think they'll be your strongest assets in building trust.

Last edited:

Kalactose

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jan 21, 2022
What country? What city?

How far away are you targeting? Do locals have reliable transportation? Is it on their way to/from work? If they ARE too far away, do they need a reliable pickup/delivery service?

I do not believe anybody thinks you're going to steal their clothes. (Lose them, maybe, but this sounds like a limiting belief not grounded in reality.) BUT -- to just play along -- What are you doing to prove your professionalism? Do you yourselves have uniforms? Do you participate in community events as a sponsor? Are you asking your current customers for referrals? Are you getting more business from people who already know, like, and trust you and your service?

Many years ago I had a martial arts school in a city of 11,000. I had a little over 12% of the population training with me. I was absolutely maxed out. I decided to sell the business but the only thing that would have made sense would have been to open a second satellite location.

Maybe you don't have the income yet to expand but you haven't said much about your actual situation. If you're trying to convince someone who is an hour away to bring their clothes into your shop -- you're going to struggle. No amount of sales or marketing skills will make up for poor location or convenience.

I looked into purchasing a drycleaners many years ago but did not end up buying it.

My stepmother owned a scrubs shop (medical uniforms) and would sell to many of the hospitals, clinics, and elderly care homes in the area directly. Every one of those facilities either needed a cleaner nearby or they had to have facilities in-house.

You would be surprised to know how many hotels and care facilities do NOT have their own cleaning on property.

I'm just a marketing guy who has been around the block a couple times.
Perhaps, I spoke too soon. Today, I've had multiple clients call me and actually take my service - I was busy all day. This is literally the best day of my life knowing that I can get people without actually seeing my shop eye to eye which is groundbreaking in my country.

Your strategy works perfectly, my problem is I did charged them an insanely inexpensive service and did an incredible job... They loved it. But my profit is very slim for now and I feel like it will be impossible to increase prices once I have worked with them 2-3 times. What do you think? Thanks

Kalactose

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jan 21, 2022
You might also try a pick-up service for hotels and long-term-stay motels. They sure need laundry services.

I would try for referral business. I'd hang a flier on each order that has 2 detachable discount coupons. One discount is for their next order and the other one is for their referral. The coupon for the referred person would have a place for the current customer to print his name as the giver. That way you know who referred them and it's more personal. Then do the same flier again with the referred customer. And again...

That can create clusters of customers you can target with specials and ads. I can see those clusters getting their own name like a team or a private club. And then competing against one another for special treatments or sales. It could be a lot of fun and a real marketing opportunity. Just a thought...
Wow! Gold. An infinite loop of new customers. I will definitely try it out.

Although, for their first order, I already gave them a large discount and increasing that discount in the next order might bring a 0 profit service. Is it worth it to get the recurring customer or not? Getting 0 profits kinda sucks. What do you think I should do?

Kalactose

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jan 21, 2022
Do you have a physical location? Maybe show photos of it on the flyer?

I was recently in Bali and we outsourced our laundry to a service. Then as we were riding down the street we saw people doing laundry by a river and we thought, what if the person we gave our clothes to is literally hand washing our clothes in the river? We never even thought to ask. We just assumed they were tossing it into a washing machine. Lol

By the way, the thought of them stealing our laundry, never occurred to us.
I do have a physical location but it's a small laundry shop compared to competitors. Showing the photos of my shop might slightly disuade them so I'm not really sure.

Although, today I got a few calls from some banners I already posted on streets. The banners did not have my shop photos but looked insanely professional. My plan is to get all my siblings and look like we are the employees of the shop on the fliers, lol. Thanks for your reply Biophase.

Kalactose

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jan 21, 2022
I'm also curious where you are based, it might make it easier to come up with ideas of what you can try. Any input?

Trust often comes from others, provide proof points from people in the community. Online is usually great for this, but any network would do. If your culture is (for example) built around a close knit community, find the places where people go to and get the people who run those on board. It is always ten times more valuable if someone else says your shop is great, rather than you saying the same thing with a flyer.

Offering discounts in my opinion may draw people to your shop, but it won't solve the issue of trying to build trust without them visiting you. Find advocates who share with others how great your shop is, I think they'll be your strongest assets in building trust.
I'm from Nigeria, so maybe now you might understand why it's so hard to build up trust lol. My plan is since I've started getting a few customers now, I can ask them for referrals thereby increasing trust.

From this thread, I have also understood that its kind of normal for potential customers to see your business as kind of sketchy when you're just starting out but after a while of persistent work, trust automatically grows with it.
Thanks for your reply Sanderdehoogh.

Kalactose

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jan 21, 2022
Sooo... are you going to tell us where you are?

Do you really think any of us are going to look down on you based on where you live?
Oops, I'm from Nigeria. I just replied to Sanderdehoogh saying where I'm based.

So after offering great discounts to pull the customers in, how do you increase prices after working with them 2-3 times. Won't they leave? I feel like it's impossible to increase prices and get them to continue buying

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
258%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Wow! Gold. An infinite loop of new customers. I will definitely try it out.

Although, for their first order, I already gave them a large discount and increasing that discount in the next order might bring a 0 profit service. Is it worth it to get the recurring customer or not? Getting 0 profits kinda sucks. What do you think I should do?
Show the regular price and give them the same discount on your coupon that you gave on the first order. And that discount for their referral.

If you can get them up in groups who live close to each other, you can cut your cost and give group discounts for them putting their orders with each other. That way you can do one pick-up and drop-off for several orders. It will save you time and money. Also, your customers will bond with you and your business better. And here's another idea. Print up a certificate for the person who is the point person for the group. Think of a catchy title for them being the center of the laundry group. It will cost you a piece of paper and some brainpower to think of the title.

Kalactose

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jan 21, 2022
Show the regular price and give them the same discount on your coupon that you gave on the first order. And that discount for their referral.

If you can get them up in groups who live close to each other, you can cut your cost and give group discounts for them putting their orders with each other. That way you can do one pick-up and drop-off for several orders. It will save you time and money. Also, your customers will bond with you and your business better. And here's another idea. Print up a certificate for the person who is the point person for the group. Think of a catchy title for them being the center of the laundry group. It will cost you a piece of paper and some brainpower to think of the title.
Dude this is so good. I will definitely try this out. How do you guys get these kind of ideas, does it just pop up in your head, lol.

Thanks so much.

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
285%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior

Exactly what I was thinking

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
285%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
Well? How's it going? Did you get the coupon ready? Start contacting hotels?

Kalactose

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jan 21, 2022
Well? How's it going? Did you get the coupon ready? Start contacting hotels?
Thanks for asking. I have been getting so much orders now from the banners I posted earlier about a week ago. Customers are calling left and right and I haven't even shared the fliers yet. I can only imagine how many more customers I will get when I give out fliers. The scalability of this is insane and I can truly see myself becoming the most popular laundromart in my state in less than a year. I know there is the strong need and I know I can get sales. All that's left is to scale.

I have the coupons, fliers and stickers already on order and will likely collect them tomorrow.

The work these past few days has been so much that it's actually made me ill. I can barely sleep because I keep thinking about what I will do next. The work is too much - Does starting a new business actually needs this amount of back-breaking work? For how long? It's never ending, lol.

Another problem I have is I have a long time contract with my client on Upwork. I haven't given him the best service as usual and if I don't work well, he might give me a bad review which will for sure cripple my Upwork career. Granted business is booming but I do not want to give up my freelance career.

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
285%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
The work these past few days has been so much that it's actually made me ill. I can barely sleep because I keep thinking about what I will do next. The work is too much - Does starting a new business actually needs this amount of back-breaking work? For how long? It's never ending, lol.

There's a great book I mentioned in another thread if you haven't read it, it's called "The E-Myth: Revisited" and it talks a lot about processes.

You've got to find ways to do MORE work with less. The PROCESS is important. Everything from how you take the clothes, to how you launder them, in what order, how to handle pickup and delivery.

You've got this though. Work on one problem at a time. Only hire the best and most motivated people.

Another problem I have is I have a long time contract with my client on Upwork. I haven't given him the best service as usual and if I don't work well, he might give me a bad review which will for sure cripple my Upwork career. Granted business is booming but I do not want to give up my freelance career.

Systems, systems, systems.

Details don't mean a lot, they mean everything.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.