The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How many people attend meetups? Were they helpful?

faromic

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
I'm debating on signing up for some local meetups in my area. I mainly interested in networking with people with businesses and similar mindsets to my own.

I'm interested in also going to a programmers meetup like Ruby on Rails or something along those lines. The descriptions say to bring your laptop to code, but I was thinking of just going and observing. Talk to people about their projects, how they do things, etc. In general there are so many different types of meetups I just wanted to get a feel for what kinds of experiences people have had.

I also think hanging out with other similar people can increase your motivation and give you confidence.

Anyone go to meetups regularly or have been in the past and what kind of experience did you have?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Halffull

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
49%
Oct 25, 2012
I'm debating on signing up for some local meetups in my area. I mainly interested in networking with people with businesses and similar mindsets to my own.

I'm interested in also going to a programmers meetup like Ruby on Rails or something along those lines. The descriptions say to bring your laptop to code, but I was thinking of just going and observing. Talk to people about their projects, how they do things, etc. In general there are so many different types of meetups I just wanted to get a feel for what kinds of experiences people have had.

I also think hanging out with other similar people can increase your motivation and give you confidence.

Anyone go to meetups regularly or have been in the past and what kind of experience did you have?

These are really hit or miss. Some of them are really awesome, some of them end up being kind of lame. However, it only takes one meeting to discover which is which.

Pinnacle

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Oct 29, 2007
Edmond, Oklahoma
I attended and eventually managed a local meetup of entrepreneurs. It was a highly, highly valuable and enriching experience. Met people from all walks of life, in all kinds of businesses, with common goals among all of us. We would sometimes have meetups where we simply chit-chatted and shot the breeze while others may be topic-centric (discussions about tax loopholes, legal entity selection, social media marketing, etc.). Meetups, I believe, are invaluable.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
These are really hit or miss. Some of them are really awesome, some of them end up being kind of lame. However, it only takes one meeting to discover which is which.
Agree 100% with this. Just attend three or four of these and decide for yourself if your time invested there was worth it. And then come back and let us know your opinion about it, ok?

faromic

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
I will do that and get back to everyone once I've attended 3 or 4 different kinds.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Hit or miss, depends on the group type and speaker. Some I attended as a participant were up-sells for the person speaking. 5 minutes into it and I realized I was being taught nothing; it was an hour long upsell on some 10 disc CD set.

I've spoken at a few so I'm hoping that my being the speaker was the "hit" vs the "miss".

Choose wisely.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
550%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Define your goals before going to any of these...

If you go to an event just to observe you are certain to do just that - observe.

Don't say an event is a waste of time unless you went with a purpose that was unmet. If you go for ideas and get none, it was a failure. If you go to make new connections and did not do so, it was a failure. If you went to learn new coding techniques and trends and came away empty handed - failure.

If you go to observe then you can't possibly fail.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.