The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How much does the avg mobile app cost to create?

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

chrisbiz4444

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
51%
Aug 9, 2013
RI
If I wanted to hire a developer to create a mobile app how much would it cost me to fully develop it and take it to market.

Also if anyone has experience with the app market how to you take an app to market. For example receive payment ect. Is it as easy as getting a merchant account and rolling with it?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Strive

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
On a serious note, the only thing that really matters about your question is how it relates to you. Depending on what you want done in the app will determine how much production will cost you. Spell out your project, the functionality, what you want it built on, and then take that outline to a freelance website and see what the average bid is. Good developers will point out things you probably hadn't thought of, and can determine where to trim the fat, and where you'll need to focus your spending on. You should have a good estimate on what your specific app will cost after speaking with the people who would be doing the actual work. Also, I'm sure a lot of other members can attest to this: 95% of the time, you get what you pay for. Hope this helps!

twoturboz

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Oct 4, 2013
It depends widely. You can hire various foreign devs. ie from Ukraine or India for around 18 bucks an hour. I also looked into having a very professional USA company do one - they usually charge a flat rate.

I wanted something done that I presumed was fairly simple for an iPad app, that if I knew the slightest about coding, I could probably do myself... They wanted 60k.

mentalic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Nov 26, 2012
It all depends. Really. You have to be as specific as possible and get some offers. It can cost you from some dollars to thousands. How much do you think that famous games have costed making? Do you think that Rovio Entertainment hired two beginner developers and created Angry Birds? Of course not.

Concerning marketing your mobile app, if it is iPhone/iPad, you have to enroll with Apple Developer program at https://developer.apple.com/programs/ios/ pay a small fee and you're done. Apple has done a really amazing job about this. You will be charged a fee (I think it is 30% for every transaction) and get paid. A strategy for getting publicity is providing the app for free for some time, gain (hopefully) some positive reviews and then ask for money at the new customers.

Pay attention to the following costs when creating a professional app:
You will probably need 1-2 developers. Depending on the size of the app.
You will probably need 1-2 testers. Despite how good a developer is, testing from someone else is mandatory.
If your app has to look professional or is a games app you will probably have to hire a graphic designer.
You will probably have to create a website specific for the app in order to promote it and support its users.

PS If you are deciding the way to go: Android VS iOS, I would go for the second.
Check this article about it:
http://www.idigitaltimes.com/articles/17985/20130531/ios-app-sales-vs-android-apples-itunes.htm

Gale4rc

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Sep 23, 2013
You're looking at minimum $10k for a decent app with minimal features

fpena911

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Oct 11, 2012
Wow, 60K.

Wait until you try to get bids on digital work from one of the "big names" in the industry. Even the smallest project still runs $120k when I could hire someone on Freelancer.com to do the work for $1000. But big companies have requirements for those they bid work out to and that is the price you have to pay.

happybhoy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jan 2, 2015
Ecosse
Lots of people fall for the suggested topics at the bottom of the threads. Still added a little bit of value to the forum.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.