The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How Much Money Is Enough For You?

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
As much where all my basics needs are taken care of, and I can do almost anything I want without thinking "Shit! Do I have enough in the bank for this?"
So, what are your basic needs?
How much would that cost per month?

GMSI7D

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jan 27, 2016
Lyon, France
$100 million. I am trying to push it even further.

Dan pena's book is the right one for you

if i had this sum of money, i would give away 96 % of it to charities instead of letting the bank make money with it or politicians steal it from me.

i would keep 4 milion dollars . that's enough

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

DoubleDareYou

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Nov 10, 2016
High Elevation Mountain Rainforest
I remember some time ago giving a rough number at My Wealthy Affiliate and everybody was like ‘oh man, chill out...take it easy, one step at a time’ kind of comments. I guess none of them considered it feasible.

The height of your bar will change overtime, just like in the graph. You'll have a different perspective depending on where you're standing.

Ultimately, we all have to slow down at some point because there's a life to live right? That's the whole point, achieving financial freedom in order to fully enjoy the other areas of life. If you couldn’t do that with money, people wouldn’t go for it.

Also there is the cumulative knowledge and capital which would allow you to leverage your efforts in order to achieve great profits with relative ease. But again that’s relative, one can always grow beyond.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
my company shall be worth 1.1 billion (on the books) 10 billion (off the record)
Why would you want to deal with the mess of off the records financials when you can do it all within the parameters of legal accounting? Why cheat when you can do it legally?

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Feb 17, 2015
England
I was talking to my Fathers friend on Friday night. He's an ice cream man. He told me the man he works for is worth about £20m. He's invested his ice cream money into property.

On Saturday morning my Fathers friend is due to be working in one of the ice cream vans. There's another two vans also in operation from his company that day. Who's working on them?

The £20m man is in one and his wife is in the other. Worth extraordinarily amount of money and still working 8 hours standing in a van serving ice scream! A lesson in itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clairvoyance1991

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Aug 24, 2017
Bosnia and Herzegovina
you have to see reality and not the hype arround MJ DeMarco's stuff

reality : mathematics are against you

reality : not everybody can buil an empire on the internet and retire with millions

show me the proof if i am wrong . dreaming is a thing, reality is another thing

yes people here will say that all is possible, everyone can become the next milionaire against the odds,

just kick a$$ and stop moaning or whatever

and so on

there is a name for that kind of thinking:

Why would the odds and mathematics be against me? My mother did it, no internet, no education. It was slow lane but she did it. She beat the odds and she didn't spoil me, I don't even own a car because I don't want to. At the moment my facebook ads are giving back to me 18$ back for every 1$ I invest. Sadly I'm limited by the supply. But don't F*cking tell me it's not possible lol F*ck the odds, I created the odds when I took charge of my life

edit: I don't even understand how you can write something like this above to somebody you don't even know (what they do, how much they are already into this and stuff). You saw I had 1 post and that I probably am just filled with adrenaline or motivation and you went on me. If you have accepted fact that you might not manage, don't drag others down. Your reality doesn't change mine.

edit2: Also if I have misunderstood you and you just wanted to help I'll just say that I'm sorry for overreacting and that I know about the cognitive biases and if you want to help others you can probably say it less harsh.

Last edited:

A. Rodriguez

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Jan 5, 2018
Nigeria
In the movie, Wall Street, Money Never Sleeps, Shia Lebouf asks the rich financier, Josh Brolin “How much money is enough? What number is enough for you?” His answer?

MORE.

I believe MORE is ENVY.

Envy is a prescription for unhappiness because there will always be someone else with something better, bigger, and faster. In other words, the illusion of MORE never arrives. MORE keeps you confined in future thinking and denies all the joys of your present.

Instead, find your ENOUGH.

Strive for more, but know how much and what exactly is your enough. Be grateful for what you have. (Many people around the world don’t have clean water, toilets, food, etc.) You might be shocked at how close you are to “enough” — once you get there, you gain immunity from the rampant message of consumerism.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
[QUOTE="Xeon, post: 664011, member: 50816]That would be enough to take good care of my parents, get girls with lesser effort and build an indoor swimming pool, pay for premium gym membership, and stop working at a sickening 9-6 job. I will learn baking, dancing, singing, volunteer at pet shelters, take dogs out for walks for others for free, foreign languages,.....[/QUOTE]
Start doing all those things today with at least a small portion of your day. When I was very young, I was always going to happy when XXXX happened. I worked 24/7/365. Then I had a major health shake-up, and almost died from it. I had ask myself, "If I die today, when am I going to let myself be happy?" It completely changed me. Yes, I still get up and work everyday. I do something even though I'm semi-retired. Yes, I've been successful in my life. I just try everyday to stop and smell the flowers along the way.

nradam123

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Mar 14, 2016
$100 million. I am trying to push it even further.

Damian Pros

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Feb 8, 2016

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
As much as I need to feel genuinely free.

Mikkel

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
I will paraphrase, as it has been written before. I do not have a specific goal in terms of how much money per month or total net worth. My goal is to make enough money for whatever I desire to do. Maybe this year it will be $50,000/month(unlikely I will need this much a month for anything.) However, when I get older, I may only need $5,000/month.

I believe that a stagnant life is a boring life. So i'd like to be able to pursue any activity I want without having to worry about "paying the bills."

I have recently have been in contact with a volunteer group that goes to Nepal to help those affected in Earthquakes. Since I don't have my needed $x,xxx/month to allow me to go and help these people out, I have to give up the opportunity(I am helping out in different ways though! Working on that good karma;)) If I was capable of produce a steady income and had excess, I may be able to go to Nepal myself and buy the materials needed... rather then donating it to a charity who will waste that money on themselves. :mad:

To not make this longer than it has to... It all depends on what I want to do in life at the moment

TTG SS

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Sep 3, 2014
Scottsdale, AZ
Enough to satisfy all my goals I believe would end up being around $40-50M. With roughly a 1/3 of that in homes & cars and the rest invested in real estate. Besides that I am very minimalistic and sometimes I wish I didn't have such a burning passion for high-end cars and luxury mansions.

Now I just need to roughly increase my net worth by around 500x Ha-ha. My first major goal is a liquid $1M net worth by age 30.

Shades

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 8, 2011
Just enough to buy freedom. Our lifestyle isnt crazy. Perfectly fine with just a nice 1200-1500sqft house on a bit of land. Perfectly fine with a Kia. My goal is to make enough to be able to make about 100k a year in interest. Then I would probably go flip houses one at a time just because real estate is something I enjoy. Not looking to make the absolute most profit per project. 100k in enough to have the bills paid, have some meals out, buy the latest tech I might want, go for a trip if we feel like it. That's all we are really looking for. It is always interesting how different the meaning of freedom is from person to person.

mrarcher

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Jan 26, 2016
Scotland
Exactly enough for a visa. After that id gladly do a crappy job the rest of my days.

kytro360

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Sep 28, 2016
As much where all my basics needs are taken care of, and I can do almost anything I want without thinking "Shit! Do I have enough in the bank for this?"

Roman Goncharov

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Nov 16, 2016
Russia Volgograd
goal in the next year to obtain financial freedom. and while I work on the railroad all the time I spend on family and work on my website, read books and try to develop. we live on 500 dollars a month (if converted from rubles) for us it is good money. want to buy house, car, Chevrolet Camaro( we have two in town and every time I see her I stop and think what to do next) 10 000 $ in a month now my first goal!

Last edited:

Fine young man

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Jun 17, 2013
My current goal is to have at least a modest 100k per year in passive income from real estate, so that would be around 2 million in capital. As a single guy in my early 20s, I don't really need more. I've been "permanently" traveling for a few years now, staying in semi-luxurious 1br apartments in first world countries most of the time and I still haven't spent more than 80k in a year.

But the thing is, I enjoy creating businesses so I definitely wouldn't retire at that point. It'll just allow a focus shift when profits won't really matter as much, allowing us to focus on quality and value even more. It's a bit like sport, so having more financial freedom will allow you to focus on the truly fun and engaging parts, while outsourcing most of the boring grind. No more 14-hour workdays. Truth be told, I'm already shifting towards this type of mindset, outsourcing more and working less, seems to be going fine.

So yeah, 2 mil will probably be enough, but won't stop there!

Last edited:

Clairvoyance1991

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Aug 24, 2017
Bosnia and Herzegovina
I hope I can quote MJ on this one as I see it the same way :

If You Think You Can Afford It -You Can't
Think about the last time you bought a pack of gum. Did you fret over the price? Did you ask, “Hmmm, can I afford this?” Probably not. You bought the gum and it's done. The purchase had no impact on your lifestyle or your future choices. To a rich man who walks into a dealership and buys a six-figure Bentley without thought, the acts are the same. Affordability is when you don't have to think about it. If you have to think about “affordability,” you can't afford it because affordability carries conditions and consequences.

I don't think there is a right number on my mind right now, that might be or might not be a problem, I just like to see a increase weekly/monthly/yearly, however you want.

StartToday

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Sep 22, 2017
Between Goku's strong thighs
10k/month would be enough for me to truly feel free. I could live anywhere in the world with such passive income.

But I have a feeling that when I get close to that, I'll probably push for a little more (15k or 20k).

justonemore

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
139%
Dec 19, 2017
NewYork
I can live off $35k/year. I'm minimalist. A PC and an old sportscar and I'm happy.

For me though, 'enough' is having income I don't have to stress about losing. Industries/products/websites falling down, losing popularity. That's what stresses me.
If I could get $35k/yr passive without a real fear of that passive money drying up, then that would be enough.

Dunkafelics

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Jun 12, 2015
Vancouver, Canada
Enough to provide for my family and also allow us to work from home (or wherever we choose). I don't need fancy things, but I certainly want to be there for my family as much as possible.

D

Deleted52409

I wouldn't want people to know that I'm rich. And I'm not even sure if I would be able to spend much over $100,000 in a year. I despise fancy cars, suits, ultra huge mansions, $800 iphones, and private jets. That money would be better used for experiences rather than items I can't take with me when I die.

All I need is $5 million dollars and a ranch house in Montana and I will sleep 14 hours a day and spend the rest of my life traveling/exploring nature.

Nomadic

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
194%
Jan 16, 2016
I don't like to put a number on it. Enough to be free and live a fulfilled lifestyle.

Much appreciated and informative post. However, I have to say, it seems like you are posting these things as if they are facts rather than just personal experiences. I think everyone will encounter their own sets of problems as they are on the rise, but it might not necessarily be these problems.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Reach that point of measured adaptation.
No, it's more of a letting go process. What I needed when I young... what I thought I wanted... what I thought I was working for... what kept me up at night... what drove me night and day... has lost its power. It really doesn't matter anymore. Less is truly more. Simple is better. It's deep contentment of my inner being and soul.

No, I'm not dying. I just living in the here and now, for myself and my loved ones. Yes, I'm still working everyday. I stop working when I get tired or bored. Then I come home to cross country ski or snow shoe during the winter. During the summers, I take long walks in our woods with our dog. I cook wonderful meals for my husband. We cut firewood all summer. We do projects at home and on my rentals. I quilt with my friends on Thursday afternoons. My life is basically quiet, and as busy as I want to be.

GMSI7D

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jan 27, 2016
Lyon, France
In the movie, Wall Street, Money Never Sleeps, Shia Lebouf asks the rich financier, Josh Brolin “How much money is enough? What number is enough for you?” His answer?

MORE.

I believe MORE is ENVY.

Envy is a prescription for unhappiness because there will always be someone else with something better, bigger, and faster. In other words, the illusion of MORE never arrives. MORE keeps you confined in future thinking and denies all the joys of your present.

Instead, find your ENOUGH.

Strive for more, but know how much and what exactly is your enough. Be grateful for what you have. (Many people around the world don’t have clean water, toilets, food, etc.) You might be shocked at how close you are to “enough” — once you get there, you gain immunity from the rampant message of consumerism.

in our western world , people are not smart enough to live for meanings and less like asian traditions and primitive culture ( africa and so on)

westerner are still animals with impulse like child in a candy store.

this is well calculated by bankers with their fiat currency scam: to make people work for things they don't need

so bankers can con them with stupid debt for a lifetime.

i am waiting for the main disaster that will end this way of life because this is inevitable:

war, major financial crisis and so on which are waiting behind the scenes

yes people don't believe a word i say and i am kind of the dork of the forum

---> but laughs best who laughs last

i will be the first to come here on this forum to laugh when the medias announce that a main disaster has just hitten america.

i promise you before great visonnaries of manking through history

plato.jpg

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
I think I can have a pretty comfortable life earning US$20,000 per month, but my ultimate dream would be more like US$85,000 to S$100,000++ per month. Basically, around the range of "big money" as mentioned in Unscripted lol

That would be enough to take good care of my parents, get girls with lesser effort and build an indoor swimming pool, pay for premium gym membership, and stop working at a sickening 9-6 job. I will learn baking, dancing, singing, volunteer at pet shelters, take dogs out for walks for others for free, foreign languages,.....

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.