The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to Learn Code, Start a Web Company, $15k+ per month within 9 months

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Hi all,

I just finished reading all this threat responses. Information here is incredible. Thank you guys for sharing this knowledge.

Myself I have have been in the same business (Web development / marketing) for years now and this thread inspired me to seriously aim for the bigger projects! Thanks for that!

One idea for the ones who want to start out in this field.
Build a service website and rent it out. That was thing I did at start. You´ll get your first projects that way, because you just build it for yourself. Then you could try out SEO strategies for those sites. And then, when you have results (first price inquiries or calls), then you reach out to some businesses, and SHOW the results and offer to rent site out (risk-free for them). Its easiest sell you can make. Additional to that, you will get confidence and fast.

Build and rent a site actually could make you more money for long term. I mean, lets say you rent site out for 150-200 bucks for month. And you do this for 12 months, its 1800 - 2400 in year. From just one website. Key here is to make site that gets results (price inquiries), that´s it.

Good luck to all ya´ll

Welcome to the forum. Interesting, this is similar to what @Andy Black does with his Adwords.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
If you want to get a big fat coupon (I paid €19 instead of €195), click HERE.

For people reading this later - never pay more than 20 for this course. Just wait a week and there will be new vouchers. Google "Udemy voucher" and go through some sites, there is usually one.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Anyway, my question to you is this, do you ever consider bringing on a high level designer and paying them %30 - %50 of the fee you take for each job to handle the creation of the website for you?

This is the way I work.

Seems like you have a very solid sales process and with the addition of other people to handle the work, this could scale pretty quick.

Thanks again

If I was to scale bigger tomorrow my main area to focus on would be more sales. I would outsource the content, wordpress and hosting side of things. I personally would do design (I like it) and I would try get a sales team going. Sales is always the hardest and the one thing that will slow you down in this game.

This month sales have not been great so far. I have been highly distracted with a side project and two of my sales guys are busy for the week. Hoping to start back in on it proper next week. My guy in Alberta has a solid lead on a 20k website but its probably a slow burner (1 - 2 months from now).

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Hey Fox,

Thanks for all the information! Do you usually work within industries that you understand? It would make designing websites through understanding of customer needs much more intuitive.

If not, how do you go about understanding what would cause a potential customer to pull the trigger? Are there questions you typically ask clients before you get started?

Main question: what results do you want to see. Some people want sales, some people just want a pretty website to show off.

I usually work with industries I have some knowledge of. If not (and sometimes also) I take the best 10 websites I can find in that niche and study the patterns. I look for whats working and whats not. I use all that to build my own site that combines all the best parts. That is an easy enough way to get started with what works. The top guys have already done the research so just use that. Go for different cities and areas then where you are building your website.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Hi all,

I just finished reading all this threat responses. Information here is incredible. Thank you guys for sharing this knowledge.

Myself I have have been in the same business (Web development / marketing) for years now and this thread inspired me to seriously aim for the bigger projects! Thanks for that!

One idea for the ones who want to start out in this field.
Build a service website and rent it out. That was thing I did at start. You´ll get your first projects that way, because you just build it for yourself. Then you could try out SEO strategies for those sites. And then, when you have results (first price inquiries or calls), then you reach out to some businesses, and SHOW the results and offer to rent site out (risk-free for them). Its easiest sell you can make. Additional to that, you will get confidence and fast.

Build and rent a site actually could make you more money for long term. I mean, lets say you rent site out for 150-200 bucks for month. And you do this for 12 months, its 1800 - 2400 in year. From just one website. Key here is to make site that gets results (price inquiries), that´s it.

Good luck to all ya´ll

Welcome to the forum. Interesting, this is similar to what @Andy Black does with his Adwords.

Yep... might be worth reading this thread:

And watching these:

TKDTyler

The Tea Guy
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
347%
Aug 25, 2014
If you want to get a big fat coupon (I paid €19 instead of €195), click HERE.

large.jpg
You the real MVP. I tip my hat to you sir :D

TKDTyler

The Tea Guy
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
347%
Aug 25, 2014
Main question: what results do you want to see. Some people want sales, some people just want a pretty website to show off.

I usually work with industries I have some knowledge of. If not (and sometimes also) I take the best 10 websites I can find in that niche and study the patterns. I look for whats working and whats not. I use all that to build my own site that combines all the best parts. That is an easy enough way to get started with what works. The top guys have already done the research so just use that. Go for different cities and areas then where you are building your website.

The niche that I am looking into targeting has some of the worst web design in building leads that I've seen in a service industry; thus I am having trouble finding actual websites that convert sales well or leave a positive impact stylistically. Do you mind if I PM you with my niche to see if you have had some experience in creating web designs for these types of clients? I think I have a pretty good idea of what I should build, but it would be great speaking with you a little.

Rep transferred!

Denim Chicken

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Jun 5, 2010
California
I didn't do any course but have worked in a few jobs where I had front of house positions. I think of a website like this...

View attachment 13291

Lets say there are 10 possible links on any one page. 8 will being them "downstream" while only one or two go back to the home page.
Every click brings them through a little journey that ticks all the boxes needed for a sale (social proof, trust, scarcity, and so on...)

Now one one page I might have three different links that all say different stuff but go to the SAME page. For example...
"See how we can start helping you today" (link)
"Begin your journey towards better results now"(link)
"Our proven record of success" (link)

All these links bring them to the Services page. And so on until someone has gone the whole way through the site till and they end up on the COA page which asks them to do only ONE simple task - call, usually email or buy.

Now if someone really wants they can find the company history page or privacy policy but its not promoted.
Also its all done in a set order. Lots of websites just have links going everywhere with no plan or formula.

My before and after analytic stats on website designs show the results. Time on the site goes up 100-300%, amount of pages views is the same. And of course COA results go up to.

Thanks for the great thread. Maybe I can help..

I worked as a top producer in inside sales, means I have experience being the best selling things that cost anywhere from $99 to $50k, over the phone or email for a major SAAS company that you may have heard of. It gave me so much insight on how to run it as a business, especially the sales and marketing.

Sales and marketing is EVERYTHING. It's funny, I got downvoted into oblivion on reddit for suggesting someone work on their sales and marketing when they asked how to generate more revenue for their freelancing job. Apparently, freelancing and graphic designers and web developers are all focused on the skill (and rightfully so) and don't know shit about sales. I read a thread where a freelancer was looking to partner with a sales guy and the sales guy asked "What's your value proposition?" and not only did he (the freelancer) have no clue what that meant, he said "I dont want to work with someone who uses the word value proposition".. ugh end rant.

Anyway, here's a way you can go fastlane with this. You are currently spending HOURS coding and these websites honestly aren't hard to do from a coding or design perspective. I know HTML and CSS. Like what you said, the key is the funnel and increasing revenue, not a pretty digital paperweight. What you are charging doesn't matter if it brings in revenue for them, ie ROI. I've sold a $20k plan to someone for a HR tool because that 20k brought in about $100k+ in business for them.

Once you have a specific sales process down, something you can literally take your hands off of and teach someone, hire more sales people. Go 50/50 split with no base salary or work on different comp structures and hire more sales guys. When they sell more than you can fulfill (I.e. landing contracts but you have not enough time to code it yourself)..

Then I would outsource the coding and it doesn't mean hiring 100 people in Pakistan to do shitty work but you have a formula and once you feel confident in it, you find someone reputable and establish a relationship (either online or local) and have them do the coding. They're happy as an employee and they can handle multiple projects at once.

Eventually you want to be the VP of Sales/Head of design or Agency owner. It's funny, as a sales guy if I have a product and no one to fulfill, I'll go out and land a contract and agreement and then go find someone who will fulfill that. It's kind of an opposite mentality versus all the graphic designers who complain that their work is amazing but cant land someone to buy a $200 website.

For sales, you'll want a CRM (cheap or excel will do) where you have the contact info, notes of everyone you contact. And you'll want to systematize your sales process. It'll work short term to juts google and start calling random people but eventually you will lose track of people you called and who you talked to. I've only used salesforce (expensive) but say you call Company A and the DM is the VP of Marketing named Jim. You have his contact info. and log every contact or "touch" you have with him. If he says he's not interested but their budget refreshes next quarter, log it, put it in gmail calendar to call Jim and always, always end the call with an action. "Ok cool, mind if I circle back in a few months?" Most of the time they say sure. And when you call, its very professional. And remember this, when you call him in a few months, he's a warm/hot LEAD. People forget this. I know the newbies and shitty sales people in my company would just say "OK thank you, have a great day". I'm like you're a moron, he juts said he may be interested in a few months, why dont you call him back in a few months.

Prospecting is an art in itself. But id say systematizing this is key. By company size, name, location, whatever. If you hire sales guys, are you going to free for all? (If you hire a lot, there will be arguments over engagement. who gets who if they both have contact) Once you have maybe 10+ sales guys, you will def think of writing a proper rules of engagement and comping the sales guy with legit analytics. This is when you go from a couple dudes selling for you, into a true SAAS company IMO.

Hope this helps.

For those of you that are starting out, I would actually do what MJ suggested, doing work for free and kind of "forcing it" onto to them by donig it voluntarily and showing them the work. With their approval. If they sign off on it, that goes in your portfolio. I would also be very interested in doing work for anyone famous or recognizable, that's a gold mine for future clients right there.

Another idea would be to run an adwords campaign with FREE website but have it come to a landing page describing your services and how you are offering a free website for qualifying companies. Make sure they fill out a lead form including all their contact, their DM info, their current website. And target this specific to pay very little for conversions. Now you have incoming leads. You have people who are interested in a free website. You can sort thru the good ones and possibly upsell for paid services later.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
The niche that I am looking into targeting has some of the worst web design in building leads that I've seen in a service industry; thus I am having trouble finding actual websites that convert sales well or leave a positive impact stylistically. Do you mind if I PM you with my niche to see if you have had some experience in creating web designs for these types of clients? I think I have a pretty good idea of what I should build, but it would be great speaking with you a little.

Rep transferred!

Sure send a PM

@DGLpost that is a lot of info on sales! For the moment I run a really simple set up that works quite well. I only select one person in different geographical areas and leave it up to them. Its 100% commission so the more motivated they are the more they make. I leave all the systems to them but I do help with closing support which I quite enjoy. I will look into what you have wrote, at the moment though its still a very small crew.

This is a side business to support the growth of Fastlane businesses. I am purposely keeping it at a good balance of time and profit. If I wanted to scale this I would be doing quite a few things differently.

Denim Chicken

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Jun 5, 2010
California
Sure send a PM

@DGLpost that is a lot of info on sales! For the moment I run a really simple set up that works quite well. I only select one person in different geographical areas and leave it up to them. Its 100% commission so the more motivated they are the more they make. I leave all the systems to them but I do help with closing support which I quite enjoy. I will look into what you have wrote, at the moment though its still a very small crew.

This is a side business to support the growth of Fastlane businesses. I am purposely keeping it at a good balance of time and profit. If I wanted to scale this I would be doing quite a few things differently.

It sounds like a great setup, no reason to grow too fast. more people more problems. But if you wanted to, you could.

Other than pictures and flow, is there anything else you do for the website to optimize for revenue? For your CTA, do you have a simple contact form? Have you ever had anyone complain that the website didnt do anything for them because of lack of SEO or traffic?

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
It sounds like a great setup, no reason to grow too fast. more people more problems. But if you wanted to, you could.

Other than pictures and flow, is there anything else you do for the website to optimize for revenue? For your CTA, do you have a simple contact form? Have you ever had anyone complain that the website didnt do anything for them because of lack of SEO or traffic?

SEO is such a huge area. I do my best but the days of typing some text and it shoots to the front page are long gone (as you know). I look for companies that are already on the first or second page of Google and then do a good clean SEO job. I don't try any grey or black hat stuff.

Never got any complaints (except some app developer on upwork for a nightmare $100 job that I eventually quit after two weeks) and I think 90% of my clients have recommended me to someone else. I have started giving free "touch up" work for people who find me more clients too.

Good selection of clients = easy to get great results.
Think if it like property. I am finding the one run down abandoned property on a somewhat busy street on the boring side of town.

If someone is on the front page or second of Google with a poor site that will be top three with a new modern responsive website. How can someone be on the first page of Google with a bad website? Small niches. A small city might only have 20 of a certain service but the difference between being number 8 and number 2 on Google might be a large chunk of change.

Last edited:

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
I have been getting quite a few PMs from people asking to where, and what level, to get started.

They might know someone who needs a website and they want to jump in and get going.

My advice is to start small.
Maybe 1 -3 pages with a simple contact form and social media links.

I know that is not much but its better to have a starting portfolio of good clean designs (even for free) then to over reach and do an average job on a bigger website. In the beginning you probably ca't get away with charging too much anyway. Its nearly all for exposure and for future reference to the bigger jobs. Smaller "clean" websites will and you larger paying jobs a lot faster better than a mediocre bigger website.

Its not that its that hard, its just a lot. Every extra page makes a website quite a bit tricker. It won't be hard after some practice but to begin with just get some easy ones under the belt.

I recommend simple one page designs for the first 3 websites. This is just my thoughts. Get a few hosted and get a feel for dealing with clients, email systems, hosting, project cycles etc. Then start working on increasing the size of the website.

There are some great one page templates available that will make things very easy.

I don't want to limit people but keep in mind the website is only 20% of the package (Im talking time spent). There is a lot of other things that go into a job from start to finish. Increasing the website size early in the game strains the other 80% and puts a lot of pressure on you to deliver.

Just like a boxer early in your career pick fights you can win to get your confidence up. Move up slowly but consistently.

Screen Shot 2016-10-08 at 4.14.56 PM.png

JDx

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
May 11, 2016
Amsterdam
Just finished my 1st website for a client; I was planning on delivering everything today but due to a lack of time on their side we have postponed it till Saturday. Feels good to have it done!
Lesson learned for the next site; make sure the template is responsive. It was a bit of a headache getting a non responsive site to function properly on phones and tablets lol.
Thanks @Fox for the tip to try and keep sites under 1s loading time and checking it via pingdom, putting in that extra bit of effort can save loads. I actually found some local companies who had their site made by some company (who makes horrible websites, like why someone would pay for this I have no clue), and their loading time is over 5 seconds LOL.

Currently working on my own portfolio site and then I'll be looking for a template for the next potential client I want to approach. I was thinking about setting up a basic site to show the client and then hopefully him agreeing and "buying" the site. Having something to show due to a lack of portfolio makes the most sense right now.

What do your guys portfolios look like? At the moment I grabbed a free template and am adding in snapshots of the designs I did along with links to the actual pages.

GoranS

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Sep 24, 2016
Croatia
I have been getting quite a few PMs from people asking to where, and what level, to get started.

They might know someone who needs a website and they want to jump in and get going.

My advice is to start small.
Maybe 1 -3 pages with a simple contact form and social media links.

I know that is not much but its better to have a starting portfolio of good clean designs (even for free) then to over reach and do an average job on a bigger website. In the beginning you probably ca't get away with charging too much anyway. Its nearly all for exposure and for future reference to the bigger jobs. Smaller "clean" websites will and you larger paying jobs a lot faster better than a mediocre bigger website.

Its not that its that hard, its just a lot. Every extra page makes a website quite a bit tricker. It won't be hard after some practice but to begin with just get some easy ones under the belt.

I recommend simple one page designs for the first 3 websites. This is just my thoughts. Get a few hosted and get a feel for dealing with clients, email systems, hosting, project cycles etc. Then start working on increasing the size of the website.

There are some great one page templates available that will make things very easy.

I don't want to limit people but keep in mind the website is only 20% of the package (Im talking time spent). There is a lot of other things that go into a job from start to finish. Increasing the website size early in the game strains the other 80% and puts a lot of pressure on you to deliver.

Just like a boxer early in your career pick fights you can win to get your confidence up. Move up slowly but consistently.

View attachment 13327
Hey fastlaners, this is my first post on here. I want to thank you Fox, this thread is full of valuable information. Yesterday I completed the Codecademy HTML/CSS course and I'll be starting that Udemy course you recommended. I actually started Codeacademy last year just for fun but quit after a first few lessons and after reading this decided to get back to learning.
Couple of questions:
- Since my company would be registered in Croatia (EU) not Canada or US, do you think that would discourage
clients from working with me?
-Any tips or advice on finding a sales person in Canada who would meet with potential clients and close deals? I know you can find clients just through e-mail/Skype, but it would be better to actually have someone to meet them in person.

Last edited:

GoranS

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Sep 24, 2016
Croatia
Why canada? Your own country has businesses that need sites.
That is true, and I will make websites for companies here, but most of them are not willing to pay more than a few hundred dollars for a site. One job for a company in Canada or US would be 10 times more profitable for the same amount of time and effort.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
What do your guys portfolios look like? At the moment I grabbed a free template and am adding in snapshots of the designs I did along with links to the actual pages.

My own site is very average and I don't keep it well updated. I usually don't use it when pitching clients. I like to show them past sites and I don't see any need to show them my own site if we are already talking. Using past work (proven results) is a lot more powerful than having a great personal website.

My portfolio is the three most relevant past jobs to that particular client. Show the what will most likely make them buy. If you have a low portfolio count then you can also use other peoples sites and them them this is the look you will go for (as long as you can deliver).

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Since my company would be registered in Croatia (EU) not Canada or US, do you think that would discourage clients from working with me?

Any tips or advice on finding a sales person in Canada who would meet with potential clients and close deals? I know you can find clients just through e-mail/Skype, but it would be better to actually have someone to meet them in person.

Not at all. Use Paypal or another form of payment where its not super obvious where the money is going to. Remove anything from your business set up that shows where you really are. Have a .com website, have USA or Canada on your social media and company address, use "Good morning" etc. for their time zone, basically make it just look like might just be on the other side of town.

If you have a noticeable foreign accent then try get someone else to do your sales or go mostly through email. Same with writing skills. I target a lot of oil companies who I know will just ignore anything that might be "foreign". They want to deal with Northern American companies so don't give them any reason to not think you are. Now this isn't saying to lie. Its just removing barriers to making the sale.

If anyone asks directly where I am based I am 100% honest. I explain I do websites for Northern America because they are the best to deal with and also get the most value from my work. People like that you only want to help those who appreciate it the most.

As for sales guys start networking with guys through whatever means you can. Use a commission only basis and make sure its decent so you attract talented people and keep them happy. You will need to be bringing in bigger sites for this though, above $4000/$5000 is best so its around a $1000 a sale minimum for your sales guy. There are plenty of guys on here who would probably be suitable but you have to show value first so guys know its worth their while too. Sales is a key part of this business so always make sure to keep anyone on your sales team happy.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Just to let people know I got a post over here about 1-on-1 coaching if people want to check it out. Its something that a few people asked about over PM and I put something together that is quite reasonable with a think a large ROI...

1-on-1 Skype Coaching Program

I am still answering all posts on here though and there is enough info on here to do it without any coaching. I just wanted to have an option for people who really wanted to go for this.

GoranS

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Sep 24, 2016
Croatia
Not at all. Use Paypal or another form of payment where its not super obvious where the money is going to. Remove anything from your business set up that shows where you really are. Have a .com website, have USA or Canada on your social media and company address, use "Good morning" etc. for their time zone, basically make it just look like might just be on the other side of town.

If you have a noticeable foreign accent then try get someone else to do your sales or go mostly through email. Same with writing skills. I target a lot of oil companies who I know will just ignore anything that might be "foreign". They want to deal with Northern American companies so don't give them any reason to not think you are. Now this isn't saying to lie. Its just removing barriers to making the sale.

If anyone asks directly where I am based I am 100% honest. I explain I do websites for Northern America because they are the best to deal with and also get the most value from my work. People like that you only want to help those who appreciate it the most.

As for sales guys start networking with guys through whatever means you can. Use a commission only basis and make sure its decent so you attract talented people and keep them happy. You will need to be bringing in bigger sites for this though, above $4000/$5000 is best so its around a $1000 a sale minimum for your sales guy. There are plenty of guys on here who would probably be suitable but you have to show value first so guys know its worth their while too. Sales is a key part of this business so always make sure to keep anyone on your sales team happy.
Thanks for such a great response! I really appreciate that.
It's not so much about accent, but my english skills in general. I`m ok with e-mail, but phone calls/Skype are a different thing. That's why I'll find a native speaker to do the sales and I would make sure to pay a decent commision. 1k for the sales guy on a 4-5k job sounds like a good deal to me. If made "only" 1500$ profit a month within the next 6 months I would be very satisfied, but you are a proof that it is possible to make much more if you put enough effort and provide value. NOTE: 1500 $ is over 10k in Croatian Kuna!
Thank again, Fox, for this thread!

Last edited:

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
If made "only" 1500$ profit a month within the next 6 months I would be very satisfied, but you are a proof that it is possible to make much more if you put enough effort and provide value.

Thats only two $1200 websites a month with some margins for your sales guy and running costs. Very doable.

Can you reach out to companies in the US and Canada who might be run by people from your country. Basically use your language as an advantage. Do you have any contacts state side that you can leverage to get started?

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
So people have asked a lot as to how I get new jobs and what my sales letters look like. This is one that I just used today and took about 20 minutes to write up. Keep in mind that this won't work for you because its highly specialized to that exact website and that exact person. This is all knowledge that I picked up from @SinisterLex thread on copywriting. If you don't know how to apply for work he has the best on thread on the forum to show you exactly what to do.

DONT COPY THIS, use the bigger ideas and apply it to the job you are applying for. I will write back later if I successfully get this job.

Hello <removed>,

Thanks for reaching out. I had a good talk with <removed> yesterday about your website and I am glad he put us in touch. It looks like a really interesting project. I have some good friends who also do mentoring and coaching and I really enjoy that industry.

I think your website has a lot of potential for improvement. You have a lot of great past reviews and proof or results that would be great to show off more. I believe that in your line of work its very important to show strong "social proof" so I would really focus on showing how much you have changed people lives, personal results and company performance.

I also like the educational section and we can work on expanding that a little and having a better display with affiliate links. I don't know how much (if any) money you make off linking to Amazon at the moment but we could set up a nice system for that.

I think we could do a great job on advertising your different programs as well with strong calls to action to get people booking more. You have a great selection of different products that we could really boost.

There is a lot more that could be done but I don't want to write a huge email right away! I love making websites so I could type all night. I do want to add though that we will of course cover all the basics such as SEO, having it look great on mobile devices, making it look great when shared on social media and improving all the small details that add up big time when combined.

I aim to build websites that get results. We can go over what exactly that means for you but I think I have a fair idea already. My aim is not just to have a great looking website but also a website that brings in a constant stream of new customer and revenue for you. With all my websites I aim to have a return of 10-20 times what a person paid for it. I like to price my jobs according to the value I can add to you and your business.

For me to do up a detailed quote can you help me by answering some simple questions that will help me gauge how much I value I can add and what exactly you are aiming for...

- What type of results are you looking for with your website? For the people who visited what is the best possible scenario that you could hope for? Bookings, call you, email you, sign up for something etc???

- Bigger than the actual website what is your business goals and aims for the future. What direction do you want to take your business (this really helps me see the big picture with the website)???

- What type of budget are you comfortable to work with for this? I want to provide the best value I can for what you are happy to work with.

Once I have this information I can send you a much more detailed quote and take it from there.

Thanks <removed>,

Regards,

Rob

GoranS

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Sep 24, 2016
Croatia
Thats only two $1200 websites a month with some margins for your sales guy and running costs. Very doable.

Can you reach out to companies in the US and Canada who might be run by people from your country. Basically use your language as an advantage. Do you have any contacts state side that you can leverage to get started?
Yeah, it's definitely doable, but that is just my primary goal. Later on I would like to expand it, get more sales people, outsource, etc. But now is not a time to think about that, I'm just starting. What I need to focus on now is completing that Udemy course and building a first few sites (probably for free) to get some experience and build up my portfolio.
And, yes, that was exactly my plan - to find somebody from Croatia who is living in Canada. Communicating would be much easier. At the moment, I don't know anybody who lives there, but I'm sure I could find someone through social media etc.
This is from Wikipedia (number of Croatians in Canada - and that is data from 2011, today it is probably even more) :
Total population
(114,880 (2011)[1])
Regions with significant populations
23px-Flag_of_Ontario.svg.png
Ontario74,020
23px-Flag_of_British_Columbia.svg.png
British Columbia19,855
23px-Flag_of_Alberta.svg.png
Alberta

Last edited:

Cato

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
367%
Sep 29, 2016
Europe
Hi ya`ll

Very lovely threat you guys have here. Special thanks to Fox for starting this all.

Does any of you guys work at London or searching projects from there?
If yes, what would be main issues or concerns making there?

-Freewolf may I ask, why you prefer to target Canada or USA over UK - London?

GoranS

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Sep 24, 2016
Croatia
Hi ya`ll

Very lovely threat you guys have here. Special thanks to Fox for starting this all.

Does any of you guys work at London or searching projects from there?
If yes, what would be main issues or concerns making there?

-Freewolf may I ask, why you prefer to target Canada or USA over UK - London?
Honestly, I didn't think about UK at all. Basically, it's the same thing as USA or Canada - bigger profits than if I done it for a company in my country.
I don't see why there would be any issues about working from London.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Cool guys my course (posted above) to help people out is nearly full. I will encourage everyone who is doing it to post up their progress, if they wish, so you can see how quickly it is possible to make this work.

I am pretty excited to teach and I really hope it goes great for everyone. There were so many weeks where I wasted time cause I had no idea what I was doing when I started. I remember burning whole days with the most simplest google searches "how do I put a website online".

I am always still happy to update this thread though so keep posting questions if you have them.

JoeK

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Aug 30, 2016
I've been getting better with HTML, CSS, and Bootstrap. I will eventually be learning JQuery and Javascript.

I have a fantastic theme builder already that utilizes Wordpress.

My question would be this:
  • I identify a potential client. Client has a website= www.companyx.com. Company X is currently running on X database.
  • I use hosting company xyz
  • I want to use my hosting company to host the website as they are fast and have amazing uptime
How would I go about getting the client's website on my host, so that I can use the Wordpress CMS, and then subsequently my theme builder?

Thanks again Rob! The quality is amazing in this thread.

KingWing26

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Sep 7, 2016
Boston, MA
I am still answering all posts on here though and there is enough info on here to do it without any coaching. I just wanted to have an option for people who really wanted to go for this.

I don't believe I saw any posts regarding other web design companies, how are you able to compete with them? Are you able to charge lower rates? Do you feel as though you have a more quality product?

P.S. Loving the thread, I started the HTML/CSS code academy class yesterday, I have good exposure to SQL at work and I have some slight knowledge in JavaScript. We'll see where this lands me :D

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
I don't believe I saw any posts regarding other web design companies, how are you able to compete with them? Are you able to charge lower rates? Do you feel as though you have a more quality product?

P.S. Loving the thread, I started the HTML/CSS code academy class yesterday, I have good exposure to SQL at work and I have some slight knowledge in JavaScript. We'll see where this lands me :D

I never compete in price. If someone starts mentioning companies who can do websites for lower I start seeing red flags. Web design is something that can always be done cheaper but thats not how you win the game.

I have linked to it a few times on this thread but this quick book is key:
https://www.freshbooks.com/ebooks/breaking-the-time-barrier

I price on value added.
And I get those jobs through showing people how I already added value for other companies and how I will add value for them.

Does a company want a website or do they want results? If they want a cheap website Im the wrong guy. If they want results Im their guy ;)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.