The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to Pay Zero Dollars in Taxes on Millions in Profits

bflbob

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jul 25, 2007
Endicott, New York, United States
Do you think that a for-profit corporation that makes several million dollars can actually get away without paying any corporate taxes?

We did it recently, and I'd like to share the basics with all of you, but I'm going to make you work a bit first. In fact, I think the final answer will be presented at this year's B&P.

Anyone have any guesses???

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
D

DeletedUser394

What instantly popped into my head: "Have the CEO Rob a Bank"

My only serious guess so far is to offset the taxes by deducting any losses from a sister company... I don't know!

Cat Man Du

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 30, 2007
Do you think that a for-profit corporation that makes several million dollars can actually get away without paying any corporate taxes?

We did it recently, and I'd like to share the basics with all of you, but I'm going to make you work a bit first. In fact, I think the final answer will be presented at this year's B&P.

Anyone have any guesses???

Real Estate ownership provides this perk! "Kio" pays no income tax and I don't either!:tiphat:

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
suburbs of savannah in Ga
do you have it all earmarked for growth in the upcoming year?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
depreciation, amortization and non caSh charges?

bflbob

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jul 25, 2007
somehow sold it into a self directed retirement account?

You're on FIRE!

But it isn't a self-directed retirement account. It is, however, a retirement account of sorts.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Nope. Nope. Nope.

Clue: The owner no longer owns the company, but he still controls it.

Hee hee.

Few see the magnitude of the Carnagie quote in my signature. :)

One way:

1. Accumulate years worth of losses
2. Take it as non-taxable profit when your biz does make money.

Another way:

Living Trust (there are several other ways to do this as well, like selling stock in the co and putting the $$$ in a tax-deferred account).

-Russ H.

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
ok so your not paying corp taxes but Id imagine that someone is paying a personal tax of some sort on it.

tell me Im wrong... please lol

bflbob

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jul 25, 2007
Hee hee.

Few see the magnitude of the Carnagie quote in my signature. :)

One way:

1. Accumulate years worth of losses
2. Take it as non-taxable profit when your biz does make money.

Another way:

Living Trust (there are several other ways to do this as well, like selling stock in the co and putting the $$$ in a tax-deferred account).

-Russ H.

Russ...you are targeting it well. Your last sentence hits close, but it isn't a Living Trust.

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
ok not immediatley but when you actually recieve the money so that its personally usable by you, you pay tax on it. or your heirs will.

so it goes into a retirement fund of some sort that you can contiually purchase/spend/invest it tax free untill you make a withdraw/take distribution.

I have been thinking about how I may use some type of set up like this to use as a trading vechicle for my forex trading. I know you can do it somehow.

bflbob

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jul 25, 2007
ok not immediatley but when you actually recieve the money so that its personally usable by you, you pay tax on it. or your heirs will.

so it goes into a retirement fund of some sort that you can contiually purchase/spend/invest it tax free untill you make a withdraw/take distribution.

I have been thinking about how I may use some type of set up like this to use as a trading vechicle for my forex trading. I know you can do it somehow.

I think you might achieve that by trading your Forex in a Roth IRA.

bflbob

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jul 25, 2007

Great story, but that isn't quite what we did.

In our case, the owner sold the company.

The best thing is that he owns controlling interests in several other companies.

By selling this one, we were able to eliminate "common ownership" issues with the others.

(For those of you who are unfamiliar, you have to provide similar benefits, you may share loss experience for insurance, and other similar issues if one person owns more than 80% of two or more companies.)

Bond

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Dec 13, 2009
Great story, but that isn't quite what we did.

In our case, the owner sold the company.

The best thing is that he owns controlling interests in several other companies.

By selling this one, we were able to eliminate "common ownership" issues with the others.

(For those of you who are unfamiliar, you have to provide similar benefits, you may share loss experience for insurance, and other similar issues if one person owns more than 80% of two or more companies.)

He also sold the company:

"A few months before the sale, I transferred the ownership of CD Baby and HostBaby, all the intellectual property like trademarks and software, into the trust.

It was irreversibly and irrevokably gone. It was no longer mine. It all belonged to the charitable trust.

Then, when Disc Makers bought it, they bought it not from me but from the trust, turning it into $22 million cash to benefit music education."

In the end i guess both owners got what they wanted...:coolgleamA:

bflbob

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jul 25, 2007
He also sold the company:

"A few months before the sale, I transferred the ownership of CD Baby and HostBaby, all the intellectual property like trademarks and software, into the trust.

Ah...I took it that his transfer was a donation, not a sale.

Good deal!

Last edited:

bflbob

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jul 25, 2007
I keep a chunk of my retirement funds in an operating company that I control via an ESOP. I rolled the retirement funds into the company's 401K Plan, and then used the 401K Plan to purchase shares. All profits are rolled back into my retirement funds, so much of the taxes on profit are deferred.

That said, the company requires that I actively participate at least 1000 hours per year in management activities, and I'm required to pay myself a taxable salary for that work, so I'm not able to get away with paying no taxes...

No minimum of hours required with this one. That said, the owner draws a very nice paycheck each week, and a healthy bonus at the end-of-year. Those dollars are taxable. But the profits of the company aren't.

The biggest thing for us was to go from a C-corp to an S-corp. Profits pass to the shareholder. The shareholder is the ESOP, which is a tax-free entity. No taxes are due until an employee retires and draws his/her benefit. At that time, the employee (only) owes taxes on the disbursement.

Better yet, when the owner sold the company to the ESOP, he got a (6-month?) window in which he could roll over his proceeds to buy stock of another company or similar investment vehicle. Sort of like a 1031 rollover in real estate.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
No minimum of hours required with this one. That said, the owner draws a very nice paycheck each week, and a healthy bonus at the end-of-year. Those dollars are taxable. But the profits of the company aren't.

The biggest thing for us was to go from a C-corp to an S-corp. Profits pass to the shareholder. The shareholder is the ESOP, which is a tax-free entity. No taxes are due until an employee retires and draws his/her benefit. At that time, the employee (only) owes taxes on the disbursement.

Better yet, when the owner sold the company to the ESOP, he got a (6-month?) window in which he could roll over his proceeds to buy stock of another company or similar investment vehicle. Sort of like a 1031 rollover in real estate.

That's why I hang out here.

Muchos thankos, Bobbo. I owe ya one! (OK, maybe 2-- I've lost track) ;)

-Russ H.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
PS Wanted to give you more rep speed, but I gotta spread the love around first!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.