The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to secure my brand(name)?

Ikke

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Jul 20, 2012
Netherlands
I had the idea to import sunglasses. So I registered the website URL, had a kickass logo designed, made a facebook page and send out the forms to register the trade/business name with the chamber of commerce.

Today I found out there is a competitor using the same name as me and they have already registered the trade/business name with the chamber of commerce. They also have a facebook page with close to 200 likes and have their own branded products in stock and they will launch their ecommerce store in the coming days.

I still would like to pursue this venture but I haven't tested the products yet. I'm still negotiating with several Chinese suppliers.

I think I might be able to secure the trademark in 3 countries and perhaps make them quit using the same brand name. I can also go for an European registered trademark, but that is about 4 times more costly.

But now I'm wondering if it is all worth it and that perhaps I should just move on. :(

Does anyone have any experience with a similar situation?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

PaulRobert

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
May 15, 2009
New Jersey
I am not too sure about Europe and it's patent/trademark laws but here in the US, it's all about who used the name first and what it represents. Talk with an attorney and see if it makes any sense and before you dig yourself into a hole.

**Legal Disclaimer** I am not a patent attorney. What is written above should not be taken as legal advice.**

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Since you are prelaunch… It might be easier to just rebrand into something unique and exclusive.

secretentourage

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Jan 4, 2013
BOCA, LA, NY and VA
If someone beat you to the name and idea, simple tweaks should allow you to do what they do so much better since you know they exist but they dont know you do.

Ikke

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Jul 20, 2012
Netherlands
Since I cooled down from the realization that I lost the current brand name yesterday. I have decided to go for a new more unique name which isn't as closely linked to the product itself. The hard part now is making up a new name.

It probably just isn't worth my time effort and money to fight over a name which has no real value yet.

TedM

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
May 21, 2013
Israel
It probably just isn't worth my time effort and money to fight over a name which has no real value yet.

completely agree. focus on building your own value.

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
Can't you just pick a different name?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.