The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How We Achieved 4th Place on Product Hunt!

Marketing, social media, advertising

Yula

Go Small, Then Big or Go Home
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Mar 26, 2021
Netherlands
Yesterday we finally launched our Product on Product Hunt and ended up placing 4th.

We did a lot of things well, but also many things went wrong - so I thought why not make a post about it for anyone that wants to launch on the platform.

A little background story you can skip if you'd like:

June last year I had an idea and analyzed if it would comply with CENTS, and it did - for the most part that is. It was time for action and I decided to test and validate it as soon as possible. But since I had 0 coding experience I had to learn fast and apply it immediately! After validating the idea in August, which could have been way faster. It was time to make the real product. I teamed up with my accountability partner, who is great in coding and we made the App. Fast forward, after a lot of struggles both in the code as well as on the legal aspects we finally launched the App yesterday.

So... How did we get to 4th place on a very competitive Tuesday?

I started engaging in the community 4 months ago to make my name visible. I supported every launch I could and talked to probably 1000+ makers and built some kind of relationship with them.

After getting to know more and more people from the community, I started creating community discussions and sharing some value bombs to gain some more authority and followers. In the meantime, the product was still being built, but we started to get a bit of a name and people were excited about the concept.

Once people get excited about the concept, they're more open to sharing your product with others once you launch.

Build a product they love so much that they would get rep from their friends if they share it with them!

What we did good:
Made lots of connections with people who already had a name in the community, if they support your launch - their following will most likely too.

What we did bad:
We should have engaged more consistently, I had weeks where I engaged a lot and weeks where I just supported some.

Fast forward to 1 or 2 months before launching day.

By now your product should be pretty much finished and shouldn't have any big changes coming up.

Create a teaser page for your product and start sharing it rigorously with the community you've built.

I can't stress the following enough
:

Since our product is targeted toward startup founders, I used Sales Navigator to connect to 100 founders every week who were in Product Hunt groups on LinkedIn.

GIVE FIRST, ASK LATER!!!

Once you connect with them, be a human and ask about their things first. Show genuine interest and help where you can! Afterward, you can kindly ask them if they are willing to sign up to your teaser page, and most of them will.

Try to grow the signups to your teaser page to at least 150 notified users, these will all get an email on your launch day.

What we did good:
We had 180 notified users on Product Hunt and built an email list of 100 people that we would email personally on launch day. Made around 500 new connections on LinkedIn with whom we had built some kind of relationship. It doesn't have to be much, show genuine interest and make your name stick in their head. Be personal.

What we did bad:
We made the teaser page too soon, our product was still under development and this made us rush quite a bit.

1 to 2 weeks before the launch...

The product should be finished for real right now. Don't change anything if it works...

Start messaging and notifying people about your upcoming launch and let them know to save the date! The community is very willing to put in some effort if you put some effort into them.

Again... Be a human and talk to them like you would to your friends!

Start posting on social media, and on all platforms to make people aware of your upcoming launch.

Make some community posts sharing value and dropping your teaser page link with an added comment about your launch date.

And lastly, mentally prepare for a 16+ hour shift on launch day...

What we did good:
Since we made some connections with influential people, they were also willing to promote our launch date and we got quite some traffic from those posts.

What we did bad:
We had to postpone our launch due to the product being rushed. Apple and Google hadn't approved the App yet so we were racing against the clock to get it listed. Don't announce a date if you can't be certain you can launch that day. We had postponed it multiple times and people started losing trust in it actually being launched. This caused people to unfollow the page and unsubscribe from our email list.

Launch day...

It starts at 12:01 PST, that's also the standard launch time you'll see once you submit a product. This is to make sure your product will get the full 24 hours of exposure!

Be ready, because this is gonna be a long day. I started working at 8:00 am CEST and stopped working at 2:00 AM CEST the next day.

Message all the connections you have personally that you have finally launched and that you need their support. Do this immediately once your product launches, as the first 4 hours of PH are extremely important.

The most supported products will be shown in the featured category on the home page and this will be visible after 4 hours. If you're not on this list, your launch will end up failing. After 4 hours the page refreshes and will show the top 10 - 15 or so products. From this point on most votes will all be organic, and it's super important to actively engage on the comments you're getting.

You'll get a lot of positive feedback as PH is rarely negative, but this is due to people expecting your support in return. Don't be disappointed by the low conversion rates as a lot of supporters, just support to make their names visible as well.

If the votes are starting to stagnate, send a new message telling your current standing and that their support would make an impact. And of course, you're very willing to return the favor!

Important note: While the community is very positive, handling feedback and comments is VERY exhausting to keep up with. Lastly - clarity is everything!

What we did good:
We managed to get featured right away since we had so many votes in the first 4 hours from the people we made a real connection with, we got to the number 1 spot as soon as it opened. We ended up being in 4th amongst 142 other products that had launched that day. We're fully bootstrapped, and had zero $ invested in branding so we reached the top without really having a brand name behind us!

What we did bad:
Due to our product being a bit rushed, we didn't fully test the Android version and based everything off of the Apple version. This meant of course that the Android version had some bugs that could ruin the user experience... So we quickly managed to patch it, but just to emphasize it one more time: Make sure your product is done and tested!
Unfortunately some people buy votes, PH is very strict with this but their detection system isn't always as good. We refrained from using any black hat tricks as it would not be worth it in the long run so we eventually went from first place to fourth place.

The result after the first day...

New connections: ~100
Website traffic: ~200
App downloads: 102
Revenue made: $0 (we already anticipated this as the value will become clear after 2 weeks)
Big opportunities: 5

So... the big question!

Is it worth it?

The first day... Yes and no, it depends on what you're trying to achieve and how. Have a simple low-ticket product you can sell with a one-time payment? Then it's probably a good way to get some revenue. If you have more complex products, it's better for long-term play. We'll eventually get a lot of high authority backlinks and improve the overall organic approach for our website. We also have some very big opportunities for possible collaborations, which we will hear more about in the next few weeks.

TL;DR

Achieving 4th place on a competitive launch day involved months of community engagement, creating discussions, and building relationships with key influencers. Good strategies included making numerous connections, creating a product teaser page, and personal outreach on platforms like LinkedIn. Challenges faced included inconsistent engagement, premature teaser page creation, and postponing the launch due to app approval delays. On launch day, personal outreach and leveraging connections helped secure early votes and feature on the home page, although there were issues with the Android version of the product. The launch resulted in new connections, website traffic, and app downloads but no immediate revenue. It made it clear it's a long term play for complex products.

4ef.png

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

TempusFugit

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Mar 6, 2024
Good job! I'm glad to hear it went well and see you learned a lot from this.
[P.S. I upvoted on Product Hunt :) ]

Yula

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Mar 26, 2021
Netherlands
Good job! I'm glad to hear it went well and see you learned a lot from this.
[P.S. I upvoted on Product Hunt :) ]
Thank you so much Thomas! Haha yeah, Product Hunt has been a tough one to crack but pretty satisfied with our rank.

Tau Ceti

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
330%
Sep 15, 2014
Stockholm, Sweden
New connections: ~100
Website traffic: ~200
App downloads: 102
Revenue made: $0 (we already anticipated this as the value will become clear after 2 weeks)
Big opportunities: 5

First off, congrats on your launch.

I think it's great you gave it all but honestly it seems like the ratio of input vs output is quite mediocre.

All this work for a paltry 200 visits on your website? I am sorry but i doesn't seem to be a great way to spend your valuable time.

Secondly, PH is heavily gamed these days so the best product doesn't usually win because every one and their dog buys upvotes.

You said you did not and that's great but in reality it is not even close to be a level playing field.

Another issue is that the PH crowd (at least the non bot users) will latch onto everything new in a heartbeat which is great for a quick dopamine shot but it is not the validation that you think it might be.

Since they always seek new apps, they, most of the time never really commit and 99% of the apps launched there end up closing shop after a few months.

That is just how it is.

Finally are you sure that PH is your target market for your app? You are targeting founders, I personally think that most of the PH crowd is people who are interested in tech but not necessarily founders. Happy to be corrected if I am wrong.

So my question to you is and please don't take this the wrong way, was this whole endeavor really worth in terms of outcome for your product?

Couldn't you have used all this time to do something maybe more productive or advertised your app somewhere else where you don't have to do this song and dance ritual of begging for upvotes?

You mentioned potential future collaborations but words don't mean much. Actions on the other hand...

The only positive I see for a PH launch these days is really that they give you a nice back-link which can help your SERP rankings but besides that I think it is becoming less and less relevant as time goes on since the bot problem is not going to go away anytime soon.

Anyway, I hope you don't take this the wrong way. Juts giving my 2 cents.

Yula

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Mar 26, 2021
Netherlands
First off, congrats on your launch.

I think it's great you gave it all
Thank you!

Secondly, PH is heavily gamed these days so the best product doesn't usually win because every one and their dog buys upvotes.

You said you did not and that's great but in reality it is not even close to be a level playing field.
Yeah correct, when I started I didn't know it was so heavily gamed. If I did, I'd probably stay away from it.

Another issue is that the PH crowd (at least the non bot users) will latch onto everything new in a heartbeat which is great for a quick dopamine shot but it is not the validation that you think it might be.

Since they always seek new apps, they, most of the time never really commit and 99% of the apps launched there end up closing shop after a few months.

That is just how it is.
True, also something I didn't know when I first started. From what I'm seeing, the first day is full of people who download and never look back. Now on the second day, the traffic is getting more serious and so are the people that download the App.

Finally are you sure that PH is your target market for your app? You are targeting founders, I personally think that most of the PH crowd is people who are interested in tech but not necessarily founders. Happy to be corrected if I am wrong.
To be honest, the most valuable thing would probably be the connections I made. My target market is definitely on the platform, but mainly the makers themselves.

And yeah, to be honest, these are smaller amounts than the tech enthusiasts - but still quite a large amount.

So my question to you is and please don't take this the wrong way, was this whole endeavor really worth in terms of outcome for your product?

Couldn't you have used all this time to do something maybe more productive or advertised your app somewhere else where you don't have to do this song and dance ritual of begging for upvotes?
If I knew how rigged the game was when I first started, I probably wouldn't have tried PH. But I was in far too deep once I realized this hahaha.

I can't really know for sure if it's been worth it. I'll know after a month or so, the traffic has been good today and we're getting quite some downloads right now essentially for free.

You mentioned potential future collaborations but words don't mean much. Actions on the other hand...
Totally agree! I have 4 meetings today with accelerators to potentially do collabs, using the platform for their startups. These collabs would be very valuable, so I'll report back once I've had some meetings.

Anyway, I hope you don't take this the wrong way. Juts giving my 2 cents.
No offense taken, thank you for sharing your insights! ;)

cikatomo

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Jan 7, 2014
Great Land of Canada
I skimmed your article and didn't catch anything of substance. Forgive me if I missed something.

I have a few questions.

What are you building?

Who is your audience, your community, that you are building?

Who is the Product Hunt audience, are they same as your audience?

What exactly was the purpose of publishing on Product Hunt, what goals were you trying to achieve?

If your goal was to make a sale, what do you think is the reason you didn't make any?

Last edited:

Yula

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Mar 26, 2021
Netherlands
I skimmed your article and it didn't catch anything of substance. Forgive me if I missed something.

I have a few questions.

What are you building?

Who is your audience, your community, that you are building?

Who is the Product Hunt audience, are they same as your audience?

What exactly was the purpose of publishing on Product Hunt, what goals were you trying to achieve?

If your goal was to make a sale, what do you think is the reason you didn't make any?

No worries!

I'm building VenturePals, an App/platform to find your accountability partner, solely for entrepreneurs. So the audience would be mainly solopreneurs who are struggling to stay accountable, but not limited to.

We've had interest from various entrepreneurs so far, scale-ups, people who sold their biz, etc.

The Product Hunt audience is pretty much tech enthusiasts, but among those are a lot of makers, creators, and entrepreneurs who could benefit from the App.

The purpose of launching was mainly to create a name, we've bootstrapped this for now and PH could essentially do this for free.

We knew we wouldn't make any sales to begin with as the platform heavily relies on the amount of active users. The number 1 reason we didn't make any revenue is probably due to the free version and paid version looking similar at the start. The perceived value from the paid version will be visible after 1 to 2 weeks.

cikatomo

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Jan 7, 2014
Great Land of Canada
No worries!

I'm building VenturePals, an App/platform to find your accountability partner, solely for entrepreneurs. So the audience would be mainly solopreneurs who are struggling to stay accountable, but not limited to.

We've had interest from various entrepreneurs so far, scale-ups, people who sold their biz, etc.

The Product Hunt audience is pretty much tech enthusiasts, but among those are a lot of makers, creators, and entrepreneurs who could benefit from the App.

The purpose of launching was mainly to create a name, we've bootstrapped this for now and PH could essentially do this for free.

We knew we wouldn't make any sales to begin with as the platform heavily relies on the amount of active users. The number 1 reason we didn't make any revenue is probably due to the free version and paid version looking similar at the start. The perceived value from the paid version will be visible after 1 to 2 weeks.
Ok thanks, I only have few things to add on a first look.

The website is slow for me. The above the fold animations seems to heavy for my chrome and laptop.

Bold titles, I personally would change Why use... Problem#1 Problem#2 etc to something more of a substance. It's bold title, it should be pack with message, not description, it's not technical documentation. I would add some supscript above the title instead problem#1 Procrastionation is killing you? something in that line. That's what I would do, but don't trust me. Trust you testing stats.

Yula

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Mar 26, 2021
Netherlands
Ok thanks, I only have few things to add on a first look.

The website is slow for me. The above the fold animations seems to heavy for my chrome and laptop.

Bold titles, I personally would change Why use... Problem#1 Problem#2 etc to something more of a substance. It's bold title, it should be pack with message, not description, it's not technical documentation. I would add some supscript above the title instead problem#1 Procrastionation is killing you? something in that line. That's what I would do, but don't trust me. Trust you testing stats.
Good catch! Normally I'm great at writing copy and deviating from descriptive text, but I'm always too close to my own projects hahaha. Changed it now! :)

The website can be a bit slow due to some of the animations yeah.

Dufresne85

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Nov 3, 2021
Just being curious here, why not ask 1 dollar for access to the app and see if people are at least willing to pay?

Yula

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Mar 26, 2021
Netherlands
Just being curious here, why not ask 1 dollar for access to the app and see if people are at least willing to pay?
We actually talked about this today and plan on doing a monthly 'contribution' fee of like 1 or 2 dollars, to make sure more serious people stay on the platform.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.