The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 38,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Registration at the forum removes this block.

Hunting Whales: Is there An Ethical Way To Do This?

Marketing, social media, advertising

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Jun 3, 2015
The video below describes how mobile game companies have found a very unethical way to make A LOT of money. They basically advertise a game that doesn't truly exist, at least not in the sense they advertise it. The game acts as a hook to get you to download, once you have the game you realise it's actually one of those "civilisation games" where you build up bases, territory, etc.

Most people immediately uninstall when they realise they've been duped, however a small percentage of people will play the game anyway, and an even smaller percentage will become whales. These so-called whales, will spend thousands and thousands on these games.

Clearly the companies are using a version of the 80/20 rule and they know that with enough downloads, the one percent of people who become whales, will more than pay for all the advertising and make them a huge profit to boot.

This depresses me, these companies skirt around the law by putting a version of the advertised game, within the actual game they are selling. Thus, they get away with what is essentially false advertising. I hate the fact that so much cash is being made from legally fooling people, because others will copy and it will (or rather, has) become the standard. Where are all the ethical business people gone? Are we doomed to watch the unethical ones make all the money?

One thing that has always made me proud of this forum, is that people on here do have ethics. When new users come by to float questionable ideas, they are quickly piled on and told in no uncertain terms, that scammers are not welcome here.

Anyway, what do my fellow fastlaners think about this, and - regardless of industry - is there an ethical way to produce the results these mobile game companies are getting?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhajAqI66nU

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
327%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
The video below describes how mobile game companies have found a very unethical way to make A LOT of money. They basically advertise a game that doesn't truly exist, at least not in the sense they advertise it. The game acts as a hook to get you to download, once you have the game you realise it's actually one of those "civilisation games" where you build up bases, territory, etc.

Most people immediately uninstall when they realise they've been duped, however a small percentage of people will play the game anyway, and an even smaller percentage will become whales. These so-called whales, will spend thousands and thousands on these games.

Clearly the companies are using a version of the 80/20 rule and they know that with enough downloads, the one percent of people who become whales, will more than pay for all the advertising and make them a huge profit to boot.

This depresses me, these companies skirt around the law by putting a version of the advertised game, within the actual game they are selling. Thus, they get away with what is essentially false advertising. I hate the fact that so much cash is being made from legally fooling people, because others will copy and it will (or rather, has) become the standard. Where are all the ethical business people gone? Are we doomed to watch the unethical ones make all the money?

One thing that has always made me proud of this forum, is that people on here do have ethics. When new users come by to float questionable ideas, they are quickly piled on and told in no uncertain terms, that scammers are not welcome here.

Anyway, what do my fellow fastlaners think about this, and - regardless of industry - is there an ethical way to produce the results these mobile game companies are getting?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhajAqI66nU
In my opinion, ethics has no place in business. As a business I will do whatever it takes to succeed and to make sure I and my employees make as much money as possible. There are no limits to that, just as there are no limits to war. I will not sit around in a room with my guys and be like "how can we save the planet?". Most who claim otherwise are either hypocrites or naive. There's also the possibility they are saints, but I wouldn't count on that.

Become a Fastlane Member Today to Read More or Comment.

This thread has
more posts!

Join MJ DeMarco's Inner Circle and Rub Shoulders with Other Millionaire Entrepreneurs

Imagine a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been the driving force of Fastlane, contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With over 38,000 posts game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve freedom. Join 90,000+ members and access a vast library of 1,000,000+ posts from entrepreneurs worldwide.

Fastlane isn’t just another community led by an absent guru. By joining, you enter MJ’s inner circle—a supportive home where you’re never alone. Embrace true mentorship and transform your entrepreneurial journey with the Fastlane Forum.

Basic Membership (Monthly)

• Read all threads in the main forums/categories.
  • Post comments in existing topics.
  • React to any comment/post.
  • Sort big threads by best posts.
  • Cancel anytime

$5 per month

Join Now

Basic Membership (Yearly)

• Save 22% vs yearly
  • Read all threads in the main forums/categories.
  • Post comments in existing topics.
  • React to any comment/post.
  • Sort big threads by best posts.
  • Cancel anytime

$47 per year

Join Now

VIP Insider Membership

• Same as basic plus...
  • Guaranteed read/response from MJ DeMarco*
  • Access to the private Insider forum for more advanced users.
  • Bookmark any posts
  • No non-sponsor ads

$119.88 per year

Join Now

* If you post any question or problem within the INSIDER forum, this guarantees MJ will read and respond to your post to the best of his ability at least one time. This guarantee does not imply a lifetime dialogue or a personal ongoing mentorship. Again, MJ has authored more than 38,000 responses at this forum since 2007.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.