The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Hyperinflation Coming? Very Very Concerning...

Anything related to investing, including crypto

^eagle^

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Mar 17, 2008
Florida
Just posted this in the other thread as well ... FT.com / Asia-Pacific - China calls for new reserve currency

This is one of the reasons I boycott Walmart. Walmart is the stranglehold that China has on the U.S. All of Walmart's production is based in China. If Walmart Fails then China will fail.

Walmart is the only retailer that prospered during these past few years while other companies are shutting their doors. And its because of Walmarts influence in China. It's the acchilles heel but no one sees it. Or no one wants to cause we want cheap goods.

Sam Walton I'm sure is rolling over in his grave. Walmart almost went under until they went to China and found cheap goods and labor. And now they want to bring that here.

Keep your friends close and your enemies closer. Classic Lao Tzu.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
This is one of the reasons I boycott Walmart. Walmart is the stranglehold that China has on the U.S. All of Walmart's production is based in China. If Walmart Fails then China will fail.

Walmart is the only retailer that prospered during these past few years while other companies are shutting their doors. And its because of Walmarts influence in China. It's the acchilles heel but no one sees it. Or no one wants to cause we want cheap goods.

Sam Walton I'm sure is rolling over in his grave. Walmart almost went under until they went to China and found cheap goods and labor. And now they want to bring that here.

so, pls tell us how do you "really" feel about walmart, lol :D

so, are you shorting wal-mart? or buying more options on that share?

^eagle^

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Mar 17, 2008
Florida
so, pls tell us how do you "really" feel about walmart, lol :D

so, are you shorting wal-mart? or buying more options on that share?

I buy products from walmart that I know they lose money on. Door busters and what not. But mostly I just shop elsewhere. My hope is that people will begin to realize the threat walmart is to the American way of life. If Walmart and China had their way they would have walmart as a solitary government run retail outlet for the world.

No competition. Just happy worker bees making 500 dollars a month.

Boycotting walmart is the best weapon we have in combating a hostile takeover.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Part I, II, and III

(PART II has interesting stories about Zimbabwe)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzmYI_4XCbM]YouTube - Hyperinflation Nation Part 1/3[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQCCDttLhA4]YouTube - Hyperinflation Nation Part 2/3[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVcyM2Z4Ego]YouTube - Hyperinflation Nation Part 3/3[/ame]

maximus20895

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Mar 16, 2009
Knoxville,TN
That statement is rediculous. Walmart is just doing business and they are very successful. Why do you think they are where they are now? Not by bad customer service and shitty prices.

Business is business, you have winners and losers. Walmart just so happens to be a big winner due to the fact that they had good businesss tactics and played the game very well.

While you are bitching at walmart, there millions of people who are shopping there and saving money every single day which is terrific, especially in the resession we are having.

While Walmart's employees make a measly income, they do have a job. Walmart has giving an estimated 2,300,000 jobs to people. Some who would not have had one.

You are also blaming Walmart for the employees measly 500/mo paycheck. Life is about choices, these people could of gone to college or started a business. It is not Walmart's fault that these people chose not to.

The bottom line is that Walmart is successful for a reason and whether you like it or not, it saves people money and provides 2+ million jobs and some would have a much worse finacial status without it.

I see no reason why Walmart is a bad guy in any shape, form or fashion. They started a business and made it successful.

I buy products from walmart that I know they lose money on. Door busters and what not. But mostly I just shop elsewhere. My hope is that people will begin to realize the threat walmart is to the American way of life. If Walmart and China had their way they would have walmart as a solitary government run retail outlet for the world.

No competition. Just happy worker bees making 500 dollars a month.

Boycotting walmart is the best weapon we have in combating a hostile takeover.

TaxGuy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Apr 28, 2008
Goodyear, AZ

Did anyone else see the irony in using a quote from a Chinese philosopher for this post :p

That statement is rediculous. Walmart is just doing business and they are very successful. Why do you think they are where they are now? Not by bad customer service and shitty prices.

Business is business, you have winners and losers. Walmart just so happens to be a big winner due to the fact that they had good businesss tactics and played the game very well.

While you are bitching at walmart, there millions of people who are shopping there and saving money every single day which is terrific, especially in the resession we are having.

While Walmart's employees make a measly income, they do have a job. Walmart has giving an estimated 2,300,000 jobs to people. Some who would not have had one.

You are also blaming Walmart for the employees measly 500/mo paycheck. Life is about choices, these people could of gone to college or started a business. It is not Walmart's fault that these people chose not to.

The bottom line is that Walmart is successful for a reason and whether you like it or not, it saves people money and provides 2+ million jobs and some would have a much worse finacial status without it.

I see no reason why Walmart is a bad guy in any shape, form or fashion. They started a business and made it successful.

I think the issue is that Sam Walton built the company on principles and one was "Made in the USA" and since his death the company sold its soul and now EVERYTHING is Made in China. An interesting debate as my view on it is that the quality of "Made in America" has dropped significantly thanks to Unions, unskilled workers being paid like professionals and good ol' American "entitlement" principles(I'm American, therefore I should earn more without doing more) to the point that the cost doesn't justify the labor which is what leads to Walmart circumventing the Unions and having products manufactured in China, like most every company out there(i.e. my Apple products, lol, they say "Designed in California" on the box, but "Made in China" on the product itself).

The danger of that is outsourcing ANYTHING does lower costs, but is most likely leading to hyperinflation as there is not enough production to support spending and thus the money isn't worth the paper its printed on and viola- inflation comes.

i.e. one job outsourced might save one company, in one industry a few bucks, but all the industries that an American employee would be supporting domestically are hurt and then the domino effect of what's been happening in the last few years occurs.

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
Great videos MJ! ...Hyperinflation is a sobering thought--no wonder people are getting so actively involved in forex. Fascinating stuff.

^eagle^

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Mar 17, 2008
Florida

While I agree that they play the game well, That does not make them a Good company. SO you think some people have a choice. Well Lets look a ficticious example...

There'sthis small town in Oklahoma somewhere in the panhandle region. They have a decent local economy with the oil industry as their base. They have many small and medium chained businesses thriving in town. Walmartcomes in and sets up shop. Although prices arent exorbantly highat the otherbusinesses they are moreexpensive than walmart.People begin shopping at wal mart driving the other companies out of business. These people closethier doors to find work elsewhere. The town dgrinds almost to a standstill because the only place hiring is walmart.

Now all thats left of this town is a walmart and a few local bars(walmart doesnt sell much liquor) where tales are told of how great this town once was. People are then driven away and property values decline because no one wishes to work or live there.

The taxrevenues dwindle becasue the town is now desolate.

This happens more often than you think.

Yay walmart!

I now see this happening in the midsized towns including my own beloved Tampa Bay. While on not such a grand scale because ofthe large health care industry thriving here.

Monopolies are dangerous dude. I dont know about you but I like choices where I like to shop and its not soley based on price. We Are becoming another China.

Im sure you will be singing a different tune when the government only allows you to shop one market..

That is why we have a two party system. To not only keep the rich from exploiting the masses but at the same time to keep opportunity alive for the masses. We are quickly driving AWAY from the latter.

I see Walmart is backing a bill making it MANDATORY that companies supply employees with helath care. On the outside this looks like walmart is being the "good Guy". But consider the repercussions,

The real reason they are backing this is because they know that it will drive many small busineses out of business because they cannot afford to provide health coverage. they are Counting on the masses to want a free lunch.

Trust me...

This monster needs to be killed before it kills America.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Eagle, I do agree with you about the monster of Walmart. Not happy about a lot of what has happened to mom and pop stores. What they have done is legal and no worse than what was done to gas prices last year. In both cases entities looked at the rules in place at the time and used them for their own profit. Didn't like paying $4.00 a gallon either but that was what was happening at the time.

Even though I do agree, I am not a big fan of the "Walmart is bad" mantra. That's a blanket statement that is not true. I personally have seen the local Walmart give huge amounts of money to schools and civic programs. I also know many families would be worse off without their low prices. Many of those families have been my tenants.

So, with all that thrown out there, the central question is and hopefully will continue to be: "It is what it is, what are you going to do about it to benefit your interests?":cheers:

maximus20895

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Mar 16, 2009
Knoxville,TN
^my thoughts pretty much right there.

Yes, I agree that they are shutting down small shops, but at the same time they are saving people money and giving back to the community. Walmart was once a mom and shop too.

If you are aruging about Walmart why not argue about Google, Microsoft, Apple, etc..

^eagle^

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Mar 17, 2008
Florida
Because Walmart is a provider of needs. Food and clothing. Microsoft and the rest are providers of WANTS.

When the proverbial fecal matter hits the fan Those companies Wont mean all that much. But We NEED Food and clothes. ANd Who will be at our "rescue".......?

Walmart backed by CHINA!

I like the part in the videos where they talked about the Depression of 1920. Walmart was also bailed out a few decades ago by our "caring" government.

Let the market take care of itself. Companies go bankrupt and new investors stepin and buy the assets creating new companies and new jobs. Although now its probably too late.

I am updating my CDL so I can Drive a Tractor Trailer Semi as a plan B if I cant get my trading in gear to beat Hyperinflation. They will still need truckers. Always a demand for truckers.

hakrjak

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs
Heads up -- For my BBQ today, I paid $5.77/LB for Ribeye Steaks yesterday, one of the lowest prices in years. Also $2.99/LB for London Broils.... No hyperinflation yet ;) -- Also I noticed Coke was on sale for about $2 per 12 pack, which I haven't seen since the late 90's!

According to an economist I trust that I was reading the other day -- He was saying that because the banks are still not lending, and since a lot of this newly printed money is still sitting in reserves on the sidelines -- That's what makes our situation different from the 1970's. Apparetly in the 70's, this money was pouring into the private sector easily. Right now, you still can't even get an investment real estate loan to save your life.

Cheers,

- Hakrjak

max momo

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Mar 15, 2008
California
DEPRESSION? No way
Not -evident- in my town.

Btw my town is Vallejo, CA. Remember, the one everyone made fund of a year ago cuz we wuz BANKRUPT! Funny, nobody makes fun anymore; now that their town/county/state/country is in the same boat (just a little behind the curve, eh?)

I caught this dude on Moe Ansari show yesterday, some PHD in state/public finance. According to him, turns out both NV and AZ are actually worse off than Ca on a Per Capital basis. For that matter, NY is worse off on a political basis (you think Ahnold has it bad, look into what’s been going on in Albany last couple months).

And large swaths of Ohio, Michigan, and a few southern states- troubles there too.

Anyway, at home, we are just a working class hub. Middle class.

I just got back from a walk. Know what I saw?

- A few neighbors upgrading/rehabbing their newly purchased houses.

- Most just kicking back on the porch, drinking and BBQing. (some have three bbqs lined up).

- In their driveways? Cars. Usually two but often three. Every fourth one has either a RV or a boat. Every fourth house also has a car that stopped running a while ago, sitting in the side driveway (half the houses here have two driveways).

Someone just reminded me: Remember when Hong Kong was top-of-the-town? Per capital leading owner of Rolls Royces? What happens when their car breaks down? They tow it with a beast of burden! What do we do? We let it sit there and get a new one! And pack the old one full of gear, clothing, books, audio visual equipment, exercise equipment extra stock, etc.

- Fact is, most people park their cars in the first and backup driveways b.c. their garages are FULL OF STUFF. Home shops, pool tables, extra living rooms, more cars, equipment, camping gear, Drum sets, more audio-visual equipment, antiques, supplies, more food, etc.

- I dodged MANY aluminum cans (worth CASH in our state) in the street. Most people ain’t bothering to pick ‘em up. Too much trouble for free metal/money/commodities! They have better things to do like surf the web, pick out a new ipod or drink beer.

I picked abandoned money off the sidewalk.

You know what else is littering the sidewalks here? FRESH FOOD.
Peaches and plums are at their height. Most of it simply falls off and rots in the yard or on the sidewalks/streets. Most folks here get 4.5 squares a day (and pack on an extra 10-20 pounds).
They couldn’t bother to PICK UP FREE FOOD!

Depression?

Not here. Maybe your neighborhood, have you walked around or even talked to the neighbors lately.

Sure, the depression is on the telly and the newspapers (disappearing) and spewed from the parasitic politician class – but I don’t see it.

Now, maybe YOU remember 1930-1936 well, but I doubt it. From the FIRST HAND stories I’ve heard, things weren’t as I just described. Your mileage may vary, but maybe its your vehicle.

IS CALIFORNIA BANKRUPT?

NO.

Are the parasitic politician class pretending so? YES.

Currently, the IOUs are to pay/collect 4% interest! Are YOU getting that kind of return on CASH?

In 1992, the last time CA issued IOUs, only one N. Cal bank – a credit union with mostly state workers – accepted IOUs. Today Wells, BAC, Chase et. al. promised to cash these IOUS (with a wrinkle, they COLLECT the interest).

Just another TARP/TALF/BARF; a banking scam, more of the same fiat games.

Carry on with the gnashing and wailing.

p.s Ok. Not everybody has it really great.

Fact is, some folks are losing their homes.

You know what that means?

They will move from a 2900 square feet home with 2 driveways, 3.2 cars, 3 baths, 4 rooms, a boat or RV, and a garage/kitchen/4rooms and a garage full of stuff they don’t need. (They will rent a larger storage unit for all that stuff)…

INTO

A 3/1 1,100 sq. foot home with only one driveway. AND They might have to downsize to two cars (and a larger storage unit).

OH YEAH TIMES ARE BAD!!!

And you know that RICH creditor nation (the one that starts with the initials CHINA?).

MOST of their citizens have one or two light bulbs in room, if not the ‘house’.

Plumbing? Sanitation Districts?

(har)

Best depression yet!

pps. Yep, CHINA, INC has begun to let the Ruan run. See last months story on trade using native currency with Brazil. See their bitching about the USD dollar.

The reality is, they screwed themselves. China CAN NOT collect. All they can do is crash the dollar and further screw themselves in the process.

The supply lines are too far and too long for them to support a military invasion.

Anyway, they’ve already sent advanced scouts (San Francisco now is almost a majority Chinese).

You know what happened?

They like it here. They built homes and businesses and schools and communities and send their kids to CAL (Berkeley, Davis, Irvine) to get a PHD.

And then you know what happens?

Their kids bring the ways of the usa back to CHINA. They build factories and server farms and engineered infrastructure and BRING DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC IDEALS.

Only way China can collect is to BUY our STUFF. And the stuff we have is not cheap-a$$ plastic trinkets. We have metal, commodities, land, universities, bio-labs, houses, multiple and redundant freeways.

They will buy it back – much of it.

(That is why real estate and gold are such good bets right now.)

Don’t you love it when a good plan comes together? (Send fiat in return for labor/goods).

Off to a parade and potluck/BBQ. Enjoy the fruits of your labor.

Happy Fourth of July, Long Live the Republic!

hatterasguy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 29, 2008
Heads up -- For my BBQ today, I paid $5.77/LB for Ribeye Steaks yesterday, one of the lowest prices in years. Also $2.99/LB for London Broils.... No hyperinflation yet ;) -- Also I noticed Coke was on sale for about $2 per 12 pack, which I haven't seen since the late 90's!

According to an economist I trust that I was reading the other day -- He was saying that because the banks are still not lending, and since a lot of this newly printed money is still sitting in reserves on the sidelines -- That's what makes our situation different from the 1970's. Apparetly in the 70's, this money was pouring into the private sector easily. Right now, you still can't even get an investment real estate loan to save your life.

Cheers,

- Hakrjak

No one is spending money, so no matter how much they shoot into the system, its not going to take affect. Since its just going to sit in vaults, or bank accounts. The individual savings rate is almost 7%, higher than its been in a decade. A government stimulis check isn't going to have much inflationary affect if its put in a bank.

If people start spending gradualy you will see a return of slight inflation, maybe even 70's era inflation for a bit. But if the pick up of the economy is as gradual as I think it will be, you probably won't see to much inflation. The money will just ease its way into the market.

BTW the amount of currancy injected compared to the amount of currancy already in circulation isn't that large.

bflbob

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jul 25, 2007
Endicott, New York, United States
ACK...I hate the whole Wal-Mart bashing thing.
They are Capitalists, and that isn't such a bad thing.

There'sthis small town in Oklahoma somewhere in the panhandle region. They have a decent local economy with the oil industry as their base. They have many small and medium chained businesses thriving in town. Walmartcomes in and sets up shop. Although prices arent exorbantly highat the otherbusinesses they are moreexpensive than walmart.People begin shopping at wal mart driving the other companies out of business. These people closethier doors to find work elsewhere. The town dgrinds almost to a standstill because the only place hiring is walmart.

Why does the town grind to a halt?
Is it because they save $3 on an 8-pack of toilet paper?
Is it because they have to work at Wal-Mart's tire shop, instead of Ed's Tires?

Or is it because the oil market tanks?
Because someone decides that those folks in OK are putting their lives at risk?
So the oil company must invest $1.2 billion in upgrades to a plant that is barely breaking even, because a skunk was born with three eyes on the outskirts of the plant.

I don't believe that Wal-Mart is the end of the world.
I DO believe that it is just PART of the world...a world that is always changing.

I don't believe that people buying at Wal-Mart is a plot by the Chinese to overtake the world.
I believe they buy there because they have cheaper prices.
That isn't their fault, it is their ADVANTAGE.

The problem isn't Wal-Mart...it is us.
We can buy at Ed's Tire, or at Wal-Mart Tire.
We can buy toilet paper at 60 cents a roll at the corner market, or 40 cents at Wal-Mart.
They aren't forcing us to buy there.
We do it of our own free will.

Personally, I think the average American, me included, has become fat and happy.
I have a tenant who lost his job a few months ago.
Unemployment has run out, yet he passed on a job because it would only pay him $40/day.
So, I ask, which is more? $0 or $40?
Well, $0 is.
Because at $0, someone else picks up his expenses.
In this case, Catholic Charities.

I'm all for charity and aid, especially if it helps a kid.
But we've gone beyond charity and aid in this country.
We've developed dependancy on funds that should not exist.
We've raised our standard of living to the point of unaffordability.
When we can't afford it, we borrow to fund it.
When we can't borrow any more, we tell the government they owe it to us.
Public assistance is our drug of choice.

When my average non-working tenant has a fancier TV, computer, etc., than my average working tenant does, there is a problem.
When my average non-working tenant has a bigger family than my average working tenant does, there is a problem.
When my average non-working tenant is BIGGER than my avereage working tenant is, there is a problem.

Let's assume the government announced that there was no more money for any assistance (of any kind, including unemployment, social security, and medicaid/medicare). At the same time, they announced that all minimum wage laws were now abolished.

Would the auto workers be willing to work for less than $25 an hour? You bet.
Would my tenant take that $40/day job? You bet.
Would the average American decide it was better to work for food than it was to starve? You bet.
Would Wal-Mart consider buying wood blocks from a USA company, instead of China? You bet.

But that would be because the cost was reasonable. They were made from "trees" by a low-paid work force.
Right now, they can't afford them, because they are made by a "seasoned group of fine wood-crafter artisans with a combined experience of over a century", who need $40/hour in pay and benifits to keep up their lifestyle.
They can't afford it because the wood is "cut from only the finest hardwoods, from non-native-American lands, which are grown organicly, and replanted with non-genetic seedlings".

It makes us happy to know such things exist.
It makes us happy to buy them when we can afford them.
It makes us sad when we realize we can't afford them.
It makes us a little happier when Wal-Mart sells the Chinese knock-offs.
Which we can afford to buy, but are unwilling to make ourselves.

It isn't Wal-Mart's fault.
It is our own.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
ACK...I hate the whole Wal-Mart bashing thing.
They are Capitalists, and that isn't such a bad thing.

So the oil company must invest $1.2 billion in upgrades to a plant that is barely breaking even, because a skunk was born with three eyes on the outskirts of the plant.

I don't believe that Wal-Mart is the end of the world.
I DO believe that it is just PART of the world...a world that is always changing.

I don't believe that people buying at Wal-Mart is a plot by the Chinese to overtake the world.
I believe they buy there because they have cheaper prices.
That isn't their fault, it is their ADVANTAGE.

The problem isn't Wal-Mart...it is us.
We can buy at Ed's Tire, or at Wal-Mart Tire.
We can buy toilet paper at 60 cents a roll at the corner market, or 40 cents at Wal-Mart.
They aren't forcing us to buy there.
We do it of our own free will.

Personally, I think the average American, me included, has become fat and happy.
I have a tenant who lost his job a few months ago.
Unemployment has run out, yet he passed on a job because it would only pay him $40/day.
So, I ask, which is more? $0 or $40?
Well, $0 is.
Because at $0, someone else picks up his expenses.
In this case, Catholic Charities.

I'm all for charity and aid, especially if it helps a kid.
But we've gone beyond charity and aid in this country.
We've developed dependancy on funds that should not exist.
We've raised our standard of living to the point of unaffordability.
When we can't afford it, we borrow to fund it.
When we can't borrow any more, we tell the government they owe it to us.
Public assistance is our drug of choice.

When my average non-working tenant has a fancier TV, computer, etc., than my average working tenant does, there is a problem.
When my average non-working tenant has a bigger family than my average working tenant does, there is a problem.
When my average non-working tenant is BIGGER than my avereage working tenant is, there is a problem.

Let's assume the government announced that there was no more money for any assistance (of any kind, including unemployment, social security, and medicaid/medicare). At the same time, they announced that all minimum wage laws were now abolished.

Would the auto workers be willing to work for less than $25 an hour? You bet.
Would my tenant take that $40/day job? You bet.
Would the average American decide it was better to work for food than it was to starve? You bet.
Would Wal-Mart consider buying wood blocks from a USA company, instead of China? You bet.

But that would be because the cost was reasonable. They were made from "trees" by a low-paid work force.
Right now, they can't afford them, because they are made by a "seasoned group of fine wood-crafter artisans with a combined experience of over a century", who need $40/hour in pay and benifits to keep up their lifestyle.
They can't afford it because the wood is "cut from only the finest hardwoods, from non-native-American lands, which are grown organicly, and replanted with non-genetic seedlings".

It makes us happy to know such things exist.
It makes us happy to buy them when we can afford them.
It makes us sad when we realize we can't afford them.
It makes us a little happier when Wal-Mart sells the Chinese knock-offs.
Which we can afford to buy, but are unwilling to make ourselves.

It isn't Wal-Mart's fault.
It is our own.

Legendary post. Rep speed+

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Der Bobbo said:

Haven't heard (or smelled) any 3-eyed skunk stories.

But they have tightened up emissions on plants that were mega-polluting, or dumping so much hot water into the local rivers that it killed all of the fish and only algae could live on top.

And I have seen the pix of kids (many of 'em are dead now) around the plants who contracted all kinds of weird diseases or cancers.

Did the plant cause it?

Can't really prove it.

Only thing you can do is point to the toxicity in the soil and water (thousands or millions of times recommended doses), and the fact that the kids aren't making it to their 20th birthdays.

Would I make someone spend a billion dollars they didn't have to clean up a plant like that?

Hell yes.

-Russ H.

PS I thought the rest of your post is spot on. Rep speed for summing it up so well. I only have that one (3 eyed?) nit to pick with ya. ;)

bflbob

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jul 25, 2007
Would I make someone spend a billion dollars they didn't have to clean up a plant like that?

Russ:

I'm with you on this, but it just reinforces my point.

We, as Americans, would do that.
Even if it meant closing down a town or city.

But that costs money, and we have had it, so we spent it.

In other countries, they aren't so fortunate.
Their choice may be as simple as "work at the plant and die by 20, or die from starvation this year."

But we, as Americans, don't think that way.

We think that it is best to buy gas from an oil company that fights pollution -- unless the place down the street sells gas cheaper.

So, the oil company closes, because it can't afford the updates.
And the employees either work at Wal-Mart, or not at all.
And without the oil, Wal-Mart won't last long there either.
They sell cheap, but they don't sell for nothing.

So, I guess my point is that I'm all for the $1 billion updates, unless it means I can't feed my family.

And thast is where I fear we may be headed.

hakrjak

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs
Another update from the grocery store... Today at Sam's club, I paid $1.58 for a Gallon of Milk... For those of you who don't usually buy milk, it's usually $2.99-3.99 per gallon. I haven't seen $1.58 since the 90's. Deflationary trend? Keep your eyes open...

Cheers,

- Hakrak

bflbob

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jul 25, 2007

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

JM86

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Jan 27, 2009
New Jersey
Read an article today in the Wall Street Journal about how to invest if we get hyperinflation or deflation.

What i found most interesting was the that author says cash investments can actually do well if we get inflation since the Fed would most likely boost short-term interest rates to try to slow the inflation down. So short-term "cash equivalent" money market investments could benefit from that.

It's suprising but it seems to make pretty good sense. Any thoughts?

max momo

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Mar 15, 2008
California
JM 86, Central banks love inflation. In fact that is their prime direcive - public pronouncements aside. When you are earning 8% in your money marke fund many folks will see that as an improvemen over todays 1.5%. Of course if the MM is paying 8 than inflation is actually running 8-11%. So you are losing 2-3%, which is the bankers profit.

Hence the reason bankers do everyhing they can to create a steady inflationary environment. They are deathly afraid of deflation. You can see why: Not only do they lose their spread, but fractional reserve fiat systems become unstable. As you see since we entered deflation in late 2006 the havoc played on the banking and derivative systems.

Cash is almost always a poor 'invesment'. You have no chance beating the odds in a game designed, run and refereed by a larger opponent.

randallg99

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
my largest sector holding originally intended for parking cash (more or less) is shooting for the moon as I type....

the earnings are blowing everything out of the water.

Probably the best sector to be in while you're trying to play the inflation/deflation game. Agency rated and government backed REITS.

CMO
AGNC
NLY
ANH

of course, I wish I had a lot more... would have saved a bundle in commissions.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
randall-

I seem to recall you were making a killing in ROI at the beginning of the year.

Care to share where you are now, compared to Jan 1?

(sorry if I'm being too nosy-- as a guy who is a complete flop when it comes to reading markets, I always appreciate someone who can).

-Russ H.

randallg99

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
Russ-

never thought you'd ask :)

the "trading account" is up over 500%. I have withdrawn from this account to pay for some expenses (vacations, kiddie camp, etc...)

the rest of my accounts have been more conservative but they've outperformed the indices nicely

using a very simple strategy and following the "rules of investing" have been working like a charm

spending a lot of time reading the earnings reports this evening. I need to get off this computer soon but I am finding some cracks in the companies I invested in. I placed low balls in MFA which does has a higher percentage of non-agency debt. Thankfully I didn't buy earlier, they just announced a secondary moments ago at 7.05. At this price, it's probably worth it. I'll probably buy a slug if it goes below 7 tomorrow. (anything's possible).... Agency reits is probably the safest risk for the reward now, IMO. Might not get you that 150 foot yacht, but it'll generate some nice income.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.