The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

netra-patwari

New Contributor
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Aug 31, 2023
India
Hello,

I'm Netra, a 17-year-old from India.

In this part of the world, you can't just walk away from your studies. It's a whole ordeal—psychiatrists, scolding, slapping, even blackmailing by your parents. Completing at least a bachelor's degree is a non-negotiable expectation, and your education is their financial responsibility, whether you're studying in your home country or abroad.

Parents and relatives have this fixed idea that you should land a secure job in a reputable firm. If you dare mention the possibility of venturing into business, their response is often a dismissive, "When you grow up, you'll understand."

The education system in India is largely theoretical. I vividly recall memorizing the ray diagram of a concave lens, but I haven't actually laid eyes on one in my school.

I need some real talk from the community.
I've got this project/product in the works, and I've reached out to a few startups for guidance. Honestly, their focus on fancy philosophies and market reviews seems a bit premature for my liking—I've got a plan.

I'm diving into self-study on IT (currently tackling web development through YouTube), aiming for paid internships, and eventually landing a job. Currently pursuing a integrated program diploma+degree in Information Technology, but the thought of six years for a bachelor's degree is daunting. College isn't really my jam—the schedule is a time sink, and the curriculum is stuck in the past.
My passion for tech kicked in early, and the college scene just isn't cutting it.

My plan is to continue learning independently, bootstrap my idea.
Any advice from Community is needed....

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Sarthak_Tyagi

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Feb 23, 2021
Hello,

In this part of the world, you can't just walk away from your studies. It's a whole ordeal—psychiatrists, scolding, slapping, even blackmailing by your parents. Completing at least a bachelor's degree is a non-negotiable expectation, and your education is their financial responsibility, whether you're studying in your home country or abroad.

Parents and relatives have this fixed idea that you should land a secure job in a reputable firm. If you dare mention the possibility of venturing into business, their response is often a dismissive, "When you grow up, you'll understand."

The education system in India is largely theoretical. I vividly recall memorizing the ray diagram of a concave lens, but I haven't actually laid eyes on one in my school.

I've got this project/product in the works, and I've reached out to a few startups for guidance. Honestly, their focus on fancy philosophies and market reviews seems a bit premature for my liking—I've got a plan.

I'm diving into self-study on IT (currently tackling web development through YouTube), aiming for paid internships, and eventually landing a job. Currently pursuing a integrated program diploma+degree in Information Technology, but the thought of six years for a bachelor's degree is daunting. College isn't really my jam—the schedule is a time sink, and the curriculum is stuck in the past.
My passion for tech kicked in early, and the college scene just isn't cutting it.

That was my plan way back when I was in 9th grade and read TMF . I learnt python and web development(full stack) all by myself and made a project. I couldn't market it well enough as one might expect from an Indian boy in 9th grade - studies. But as know I am in college(2 months since starting) I can tell you to always look for opportunities and right now focus on developing your skill. You will get enough time in college to pursuit any kind of monetary targets.

HPC2079

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Nov 12, 2023
I have talked to Indian people before and many of them say this, so unfortunately you will have to go through this unless you're willing to live an extreme life. Unless you can prove your parents wrong (example, in month 1 you earn $1000 with a website and tell your parents, in month 2 you earn $2000 and tell your parents "see I'm making progress") they will not change their mindset and even if you prove them wrong it's not guaranteed to change their mind.

What seems positive to me:
  • You are reaching out to startups and companies, keep doing this!
  • You are doing "self-study" or actual EDUCATION apart from your schooling.
Before I give any advice or share experience, here's a secret:
On Youtube you can do $('video').playBackRate = 4 to watch faster than x 2 speed
Subtitles will be displayed faster also but they aren't t always fast enough.

If you consider dropping out of college, I suggest..
Start executing and earn your first money.
If you expect support from your parents, earn your first $1
If you think you'll be on your own, earn your first $1000 (just earn $1 a thousand times)
I believe this is enough to live for a while in India.
Building a safety net is not what I would do personally if I knew I would go through with it,
but I have unusual personal values and my living standards are very low.
There's a lot of things you can do to get better grades aside from spending more time which doesn't always help.
If being physically in college is not the issue, I would suggest you go there and do the bare minimum,
while working independently in your free time.

Further signs of hope:
If you can work from countries with low cost of living such as India or Hungary,
you can do very well if you can serve customers from premium countries such as Switzerland or even Germany. (Europe)

Good luck! Post an update to show how it's going.

netra-patwari

New Contributor
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Aug 31, 2023
India
That was my plan way back when I was in 9th grade and read TMF . I learnt python and web development(full stack) all by myself and made a project. I couldn't market it well enough as one might expect from an Indian boy in 9th grade - studies. But as know I am in college(2 months since starting) I can tell you to always look for opportunities and right now focus on developing your skill. You will get enough time in college to pursuit any kind of monetary targets.
I was in 8th when I started reading Unscripted by M J Demarco.
Do u still plan for Bootstrap your business Idea.
Or things change with time.
I am learning Web development so that , I can get paid or get a job.
Product on I am working is from educational sector. Kind of Ed-tech.

Sarthak_Tyagi

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Feb 23, 2021
I was in 8th when I started reading Unscripted by M J Demarco.
Do u still plan for Bootstrap your business Idea.
Or things change with time.
I am learning Web development so that , I can get paid or get a job.
Product on I am working is from educational sector. Kind of Ed-tech.
After reaching here I got an altogether different environment. There are clubs and societies who foster startups etc. venture clubs and all and you get to look at what worked for others. The most important - you get to make connections. I am looking to build everything from the base for my business. I remember putting everything I thought of an idea in to a list and funny enough I have 70 to 80 such ideas on it. I did 2 of them when I was in school and failed everytime when it came to marketing. So that's what I am aiming for and I would say I have plenty of seniors and teachers to ask for help where I get stuck.
A head's up - If you get a college good enough it'll just boost your efforts, believe me so try and focus on that also but don't stop building these skill you're working on.

Kybalion

Renegade Master
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Oct 5, 2018
I would find a way to do my bare minimum in the academic structure I was in - choose a university/college where they are lenient with slackers.

In essence, maximize the time you can spend on entrepreneurship, while still checking off the academic box.

Focus on launching your offer and making enough money to sustain yourself - then as soon as you can do that bounce.

When the money starts coming in you'll see how silly it is to keep studying just because your parents want you to.

It's important to respect them - but it's equally important to remember that you have just about 60 years of quality life in front of you. Possibly less. So you don't want to do anything just because other people think it's the right thing to do. You do you.

Epynok

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jun 20, 2023
Hello,

Hey I am from India too!

Your product description seems pretty vague though...

Good Luck!

netra-patwari

New Contributor
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Aug 31, 2023
India
STARTUP INCUBATION , rather than helping me to make products , are instead intrested in buy 10 copies before done, tag line of company, future vision
THIS IS DOC >>PITCH DOC

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
Your Tech skills will have relative-value in the employment world of IT.

Getting a degree shows that you know how to show up to work and stay in one place, the degree can also get you into higher paying positions, higher salaries.

Skills though matter the most in Tech. You must be constantly evolving with the ever-growing change of Tech. *Sigh*.

Venture Capitalists are pouring Millions of dollars into AI and Machine learning.

Not sure if it's a FAD trend or something evergreen that is going to stay.

By the time you graduate, I suspect the IT field will level out or normalizd after its growth outburst from past years.

Try to take less debt.

I hope you love Customer Service because that will be a huge component of the job, plus talking to people.

Good luck! I'm Rooting for you :) you can take my spot in Tech. I'm exhausted from it.

Last edited:

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
Self study is the way to go, get your foundation correct first. Just know that there isn't anything wrong with having a job and building something at the Sametime or going to school and building something at the same time.

Epynok

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jun 20, 2023
STARTUP INCUBATION , rather than helping me to make products , are instead intrested in buy 10 copies before done, tag line of company, future vision
THIS IS DOC >>PITCH DOC
I was very wrong about your product being a vague afterthought.

You have a very noble mission as stated in the document.

I wish you success in your endeavor! Cheers!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
@netra-patwari -- if you continue to start new threads posting the same information DOZENS of times, you will be removed from the forum. You are now moderated.

GideonEkasi

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Nov 6, 2023
Hello,

One thing you should understand is that you're alone in life, you may think you have family and all that, but when you really sit and think about it, your life is yours to live, only you knows whats really good for you. Your parents may mean you well, but one of the greatest things they can do is sit back and let their child test out life by themselves. Check out this video by Luke Belmar, hopefully you find some meaning in it.

View: https://youtu.be/aCZXAXcDCM4?si=NxqQI6gPUEcqLu9S

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
THIS IS DOC >>PITCH DOC
Wow you actually built a pitch deck?

Go to Venture Capitalists and Present it to them, then comeback and tell the forum what their feedback was. I would love to hear it.

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
So it seems your suggesting a change in the way students in India learn. Instead of mobile devices, laptops, desktops, or the internet.

You want to go back to something tangible as in Textbooks or other related material that can be created with creative software to make it more engaging for the students to learn instead of being bored all time from non-engaging activities.

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
In a pitch deck you would probably tell the VC projected sales forecast as in how much of the market you expect the capture.

If you had a billion market cap, and expect to capture 1% you'd probably tell that in their or how many clients/customers you expect to obtain.

But pitch decks aren't reliable because once you hit the marketplace after the developing the MVP, it could flop and now you have an investor who has invested in you, plus you probably spent his/her money. How are you going to return his/her money now that the market says what you have provided isn't solving their problem.

ChristianGDBG

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Jan 2, 2020
France
To bounce off what ZackarySprague said,

in 2020, I got an idea to create a kinetic rower to create electricity. I developped the idea, until my idea resembled this:
A kinetic rower which creates electricity for the effort produced.

Then I went to monaco, and decided to speak with some of the guys. What came out of that discussion was: 'How do you prove how much electricity the user has produced?' I thought about it for a while.
Then, my idea became: A kinetic rower, which stocks electricity in batteries, and the amount of elec is stocked in the cloud.
When then after another iteration, 'How can I incentivise rowing to customers?' A Kinetic Rower which produces electricity, and stocks that value in the cloud. Once that value is stocked, we can tokenize that data and exchange that against a monetary value through blockchain.
Anyway..this line of thought goes on for a while. Until... I decide to go to an incubator.
I pitch my idea to a startup incubator, I'd spoken with a factory for the production of the rower's structure, spoken with generator producers, and all that. I was even accepted into the startup incubator and worked with them to create my final pitch etc...
Then I realise, how do I monetize this idea...?! So I started calculating. And... I found out that, I'd have to row 160 something hours to produce the equivalent of 1€ of electricity. The entire project fell apart and I lost 3 years of mental iterations because I didn't consider the main value: how much money can it generate per hour?

The ROI of investors is something to consider massively before you start getting money, you need to test out the idea, make a lean mvp, find its failure points. In other words, test out the product on willing users, perhaps create a beta product and see if you can test it by reaching out to friends or schools and test the temperature.

Sam_

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Aug 29, 2023
Hello,

I really liked the idea, but the niche is probably very small. But it can serve as an add on instead of the main product. The main service could be 5 min short engaging videos (animated ofc) about each subtopic. You can then also sell the books as a supplement.

netra-patwari

New Contributor
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Aug 31, 2023
India
I really liked the idea, but the niche is probably very small. But it can serve as an add on instead of the main product. The main service could be 5 min short engaging videos (animated ofc) about each subtopic. You can then also sell the books as a supplement.
Yes that is part of the plan.. After all every Manga is converted into an Anime.

netra-patwari

New Contributor
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Aug 31, 2023
India
In a pitch deck you would probably tell the VC projected sales forecast as in how much of the market you expect the capture.

If you had a billion market cap, and expect to capture 1% you'd probably tell that in their or how many clients/customers you expect to obtain.

But pitch decks aren't reliable because once you hit the marketplace after the developing the MVP, it could flop and now you have an investor who has invested in you, plus you probably spent his/her money. How are you going to return his/her money now that the market says what you have provided isn't solving their problem.
Actually, this pitch is not for investors; it's for government grants. Students in India can receive up to 2.5 lakh INR. Grant money is never returned nor asked for, even if you not establish a business.

netra-patwari

New Contributor
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Aug 31, 2023
India
So it seems your suggesting a change in the way students in India learn. Instead of mobile devices, laptops, desktops, or the internet.

You want to go back to something tangible as in Textbooks or other related material that can be created with creative software to make it more engaging for the students to learn instead of being bored all time from non-engaging activities.
Actually, the target customers are from the upper class and upper-middle class. They appreciate the creative learning concept.

On the contrary, many Indians study out of fear. The typical routine involves 6 hours of school, followed by 4 hours of coaching (parents send their kids to another academy for additional preparation of the same syllabus), and finally, 2 hours of homework. It's a hell-like torture. Indians are not interested in education per se, but rather in achieving high grades in subjects like Maths, Science, and English.

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
Actually, this pitch is not for investors; it's for government grants. Students in India can receive up to 2.5 lakh INR. Grant money is never returned nor asked for, even if you not establish a business.
Oops, sorry for the confusing then. Good luck!

Epynok

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jun 20, 2023
Wow you actually built a pitch deck?

Go to Venture Capitalists and Present it to them, then comeback and tell the forum what their feedback was. I would love to hear it.
Yeah I do agree maybe try approaching VC.

Epynok

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jun 20, 2023
Yes that is part of the plan.. After all every Manga is converted into an Anime.
You could look at the example of ACK in India (Amar Chitra Katha) and how they made history interesting again.

Finding out entrepreneurs in your niche and modelling successful ones would certainly help and I am sure there are more examples than ACK in India.

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
Bad Ques : How do we find them and then they mostly are interested into startups not into ideas and half made products . . .

I need to find some friends in real life.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...