The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I have $30 in my bank account and no savings. How do I stop sucking with money?

Anything related to matters of the mind

JusticeForSpoils

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Feb 21, 2023
The saddest part is, I'm still a teenager living at home. No car payment, no mortgage, no rent, no groceries, and no tuition. I've made, oh I don't know, probably $15,000 at least from the odd jobs over the last couple years, and now I'm down to $30 with no savings, even with a current job. I haven't bought a single "expensive" thing ($500+) since I was 16.

Subscriptions, gas, fast food, drugs & booze, clothes, video games, instruments, dead-end hobbies, all of it just piles up until I'm squandering my entire paycheck the same week I get it. Not a single dime in savings, or a valuable asset to show for any of it.

I've cancelled all my subscriptions, totaling nearly $100 a month alone. But that won't save me. How do I stop sucking with money? I really need to stop living like a deadbeat so I can get onto my own two feet.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria
The saddest part is, I'm still a teenager living at home. No car payment, no mortgage, no rent, no groceries, and no tuition. I've made, oh I don't know, probably $15,000 at least from the odd jobs over the last couple years, and now I'm down to $30 with no savings, even with a current job. I haven't bought a single "expensive" thing ($500+) since I was 16.

Subscriptions, gas, fast food, drugs & booze, clothes, video games, instruments, dead-end hobbies, all of it just piles up until I'm squandering my entire paycheck the same week I get it. Not a single dime in savings, or a valuable asset to show for any of it.

I've cancelled all my subscriptions, totaling nearly $100 a month alone. But that won't save me. How do I stop sucking with money? I really need to stop living like a deadbeat so I can get onto my own two feet.
15k sounds like very little money to work with.
Where do you live for context?

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe

@BigRomeDawg nailed it.

Let's say it was $15,000 over 3 years. That is only $92 dollars a week spent.
Which right now, is actually pretty good.

100% the way forward is focusing on how to make more.
Where are you on a business direction and some skills or an overall idea to get going?

JusticeForSpoils

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Feb 21, 2023
15k sounds like very little money to work with.
Where do you live for context?
American Midwest. Stuff is so expensive since the pandemic. Wages are comparatively low for un-skilled labor, about $11-17 an hour. I think gas is the main thing that gets me. It's $4.30ish a gallon and rising, and I have to commute around for various things making it hard to get more than 1.5 to 2 weeks out of a gallon.

savefox

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Jun 15, 2022
American Midwest. Stuff is so expensive since the pandemic. Wages are comparatively low for un-skilled labor, about $11-17 an hour. I think gas is the main thing that gets me. It's $4.30ish a gallon and rising, and I have to commute around for various things making it hard to get more than 1.5 to 2 weeks out of a gallon.
Go wash some windows and make 50 an hour

JusticeForSpoils

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Feb 21, 2023
@BigRomeDawg nailed it.

Let's say it was $15,000 over 3 years. That is only $92 dollars a week spent.
Which right now, is actually pretty good.

100% the way forward is focusing on how to make more.
Where are you on a business direction and some skills or an overall idea to get going?
That's a good point. I have a web design business going, but I've had a lack of motivation lately. I was busting my a$$ for a couple months, but after building a free website, a couple failed sales meetings that I put a lot of work into, some issues at home, and some personal issues, I got burnt out and crashed.

Just played video games and took on more hours at work to keep myself busy. Trying to ease myself back into it, and I need to figure out a way to stop stretching myself so thin. I have a lot of stress right now about trying to become an adult that can support myself after the summer.

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria
That's a good point. I have a web design business going, but I've had a lack of motivation lately. I was busting my a$$ for a couple months, but after building a free website, a couple failed sales meetings that I put a lot of work into, some issues at home, and some personal issues, I got burnt out and crashed.

Just played video games and took on more hours at work to keep myself busy. Trying to ease myself back into it, and I need to figure out a way to stop stretching myself so thin. I have a lot of stress right now about trying to become an adult that can support myself after the summer.
First question, how old are tou exactly?
Second, is your dad at home?

JusticeForSpoils

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Feb 21, 2023
First question, how old are tou exactly?
Second, is your dad at home?
I'm 18, about to graduate high school next month. My dad is at home, he helps out a lot, but I don't want to be reliant on him longer than I have to. He's done so much for me, and I want to get to a place where I can be self-sufficient, and eventually, be able to do lots for him. I just want to make him proud I suppose.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
You can’t start a business while being broke.

If you are not studying why not work full time.

Learn some basic budgeting from youtube.

Anything that is not a necessity, that doesn’t help you get healthy or wealthy, is a distraction on your time or wallet.

Private Witt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
221%
Feb 20, 2018
Oklahoma
Maybe not going to be a popular opinion here but have you considered joining the military for a few years. Sounds like you have discipline issues along with money problems. Keep it safer and choose the Navy. Not only will give you backbone but can save money and the education benefits will be strong.

YoungPadawan

Miles to go before I sleep
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Nov 7, 2015
Get a steady job for now. Trying to start a business while broke is going to be difficult without having any money and it takes time for a business to get off the ground.

Get a job, then continue with your web design thing on the side.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria
I'm 18, about to graduate high school next month. My dad is at home, he helps out a lot, but I don't want to be reliant on him longer than I have to. He's done so much for me, and I want to get to a place where I can be self-sufficient, and eventually, be able to do lots for him. I just want to make him proud I suppose.
Its not about being reliant its about growing up.
These questions that you are asking you should ask your father.
Its not for us to direct you.

Also drugs and alcohol? Drop those, they will never serve you.

Subsonic

How you do anything is how you do everything
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Aug 16, 2022
Germany

Well if you want to learn personal finance then read rich dad poor dad.

Some people here really dislike it but I read it recently and found it pretty insightful.

Spenny

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
385%
Nov 16, 2022
United Kingdom
"How do I stop sucking with money?". Ok cool, you've come looking for answers.

You have an income problem, not a savings problem

Bang, we've diagnosed the problem.

I've had a lack of motivation lately.

The feeling for readiness will never come. I don't have the motivation to revise for exams but I do it regardless.

If I was you, with all of your free time, I would be eating up knowledge on how to get started.

We have window cleaners
We have car detailers
We have carpet cleaners

They are ALL posting their journey.

Here's a step by step guide:
1. Read this kids thread on window cleaning. He just got started.
2. Buy the equipment
3. Go start.

This isn't rocket science. Get started. Go. Allons-y. On y va.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.