The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 38,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Registration at the forum removes this block.

I keep poring money into my business but a year after business registration still no revenue from it. Can I have my expenses reimbursed?

Taxes and regulation

Eholic

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Apr 6, 2020
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

I don't have any income from my business as of yet.

However I have invested and keep investing to improve my business to begin seeing revenue from it.

Will I have any of my expenses reimbursed during the tax period at the end of the fiscal year?

as a side note: I am UK based but have my LLC is was formed in Miami, Florida on my behalf by a formation company with a registered agent.

I am looking forward to hearing from you,
Thank you

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Tinker Explorer

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Jun 19, 2024
WA, AZ, OH
I don't know UK Tax law, but if you are a sole member LLC and didn't elect SCorp status, you are filing as an individual with a schedule C in the US, and you can take up to $5000 of startup costs as expenses, and $5000 organizational costs. If you spend more, you can still amortize costs over time up to $50,000. This is all before you open your doors. Here's a link describing the types of expenses you can deduct. Here’s how businesses can deduct startup costs from their federal taxes | Internal Revenue Service

And these numbers sometimes change from year to year - just saw another IRS pub that had different amounts, so I would double check with your tax advisor when you file.

You must have an intent to make a profit, and prove that you are doing so by improving your business (which sounds like exactly what you are doing). It's case by case, but a general rule of thumb is to make profit 3 of 5 years. Other things they may look at is the dreaded business plan, or steps you're taking to improving your strategy for profit.

Gypsy Soul

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Jun 27, 2024
San Antonio, TX
Hello everyone,

I don't have any income from my business as of yet.

What is your business selling service / product or both?

However I have invested and keep investing to improve my business to begin seeing revenue from it.
What are you investing (money, time, marketing, research, processes, etc...) into your business?

Will I have any of my expenses reimbursed during the tax period at the end of the fiscal year?
You need an accountant one who specializes in your industry would be preferred to help with this.

as a side note: I am UK based but have my LLC is was formed in Miami, Florida on my behalf by a formation company with a registered agent.
What was the reasoning for registering in Miami? Does your business conduct business only in the US?

I am looking forward to hearing from you,
Thank you
Please give us more info so we can help you.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.