The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I make more than my teachers in high school

Idea threads

trulyandres

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
342%
Dec 12, 2023
Update: Thank you everyone for your support! It makes me feel way more confident about my choice here.

A month ago I checked in making $2.5K a month. This week marks my first $5K month. I don't even know how to feel. This is absolutely insane.

I'm a seventeen year old senior student in high school with a mobile car detailing business. Since my last post, I hired three employees--one exterior cleaner, one interior cleaner, and one salesperson in training. I've started to work on my business in secret because my parents want me to go down the typical slowlane college path, so when they saw my grades slipping, they grounded me and told me to focus only on school. That's when I hired and trained my employees to do work on my behalf. I still haven't told my parents how much I make, and decision day for college is this Tuesday. The only people who know are my girlfriend and sister.

I'm fully convinced now that I'm going to take a gap year to go all in on this business. Today I made $242 in door to door sales in 50 minutes while I pretended to be at school studying. I'm absolutely sure I could scale this to be huge if I could be a full time entrepreneur.

I'm going to be telling my parents about my choice very soon. I'm fairly sure that this will cause a massive division, but at this point with the income I'm making and the fact that I become an adult in two months, its more up to me than it is to them.

I'm posting here looking for advice from guys with more experience. What do you do when your own family is so scripted that they don't support you? Will there be a point when the amount I'm making is "enough" for them to consider my decision here reasonable? What can I do to make them see it the way I see it?

Luckily my girlfriend's parents are extremely supportive and offered me their home to live in for a few weeks if I need to once I turn 18. I think I might have to do this if my gap year announcement makes the tension too thick at home.

Wish me luck.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

msissoko

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Dec 26, 2023
A month ago I checked in making $2.5K a month. This week marks my first $5K month. I don't even know how to feel. This is insane.

I'm a seventeen year old senior student in high school with a mobile car detailing business. Since my last post, I hired three employees--one exterior cleaner, one interior cleaner, and one salesperson in training. I've started to work on my business in secret because my parents want me to go down the typical slowlane college path, so when they saw my grades slipping, they grounded me and told me to focus only on school. That's when I hired and trained my employees to do work on my behalf. I still haven't told my parents how much I make, and decision day for college is this Tuesday. The only people who know are my girlfriend and sister.

I'm fully convinced now that I'm going to take a gap year to go all in on this business. Today I made $242 in door to door sales in 50 minutes while I pretended to be at school studying. I'm absolutely sure I could scale this to be huge if I could be a full time entrepreneur.

I'm going to be telling my parents about my choice very soon. I'm fairly sure that this will cause a massive division, but at this point with the income I'm making and the fact that I become an adult in two months, its more up to me than it is to them.

I'm posting here looking for advice from guys with more experience. What do you do when your own family is so scripted that they don't support you? Will there be a point when the amount I'm making is "enough" for them to consider my decision here reasonable? What can I do to make them see it the way I see it?

Luckily my girlfriend's parents are extremely supportive and offered me their home to live in for a few weeks if I need to once I turn 18. I think I might have to do this if my gap year announcement makes the tension too thick at home.

Wish me lu
A month ago I checked in making $2.5K a month. This week marks my first $5K month. I don't even know how to feel. This is absolutely insane.

Wish me luckLu

i’m rally impressed for what you’ve done so far. At only seventeen you already make as much money as a lot of people. You’re definitely on the right way. Don’t let your parent interfere with your success. You have the potential to make them see a life they can only dream of. And as MJ says in The Great Rat Rate Escape simply show don’t tell. All the doubt will disappear when they will see the numbers. I’m 16 years old and I’ve just started my fasting journey, I fear the moment when I will tell my parent that I don’t want to follow the old-fashioned way. So I hope yours will accept and support your decision.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia

Wish me luck.
Buy time.

Tell them you are definitely coming back to school after the gap year.

If it doesn’t work you come back.

If it works you made enough to call the shots for your own life.

trulyandres

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
342%
Dec 12, 2023
In my opinon, don't try to get their validation. Don't spend too much time trying to convince them as well. Focus on your own lane, eventually, they will come through. But you have to be firm on your own path.
Appreciate that bro. I think you're right. I gotta become my own person

trulyandres

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
342%
Dec 12, 2023
I like that. I haven't read the rat race yet, but it's true.

AceVentures

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
406%
Apr 16, 2019
TLDR: Get out of the indoctrination camps and go make your money.

My parents never supported my decision to walk away from my buttoned-up career, even after I made a bunch of money.

From their viewpoint, wearing a suit with shiny shoes and going to sit in an office everyday is the definition of success. Of course they only believe this because they haven't been the guy doing that. They haven't gone to sit in an office to stare at excel spreadsheets all day, sitting in meaningless meetings and dreading waking up every Monday morning.

But I have. And I decided to walk away from that dreadful meaningless life.

Today I lead an unscripted life. I get to work on my dream projects and watch my kids grow up.

Does their support affect my health?
Does their support affect how I lead my family?
Does their support make a difference to my mission?

I finally learned to stop asking for permission and to do what I thought was best.

There are no social obligations, only social consequences.
Up to you to determine the consequences you're willing to live with to lead life on your own terms.

trulyandres

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
342%
Dec 12, 2023
TLDR: Get out of the indoctrination camps and go make your money.

My parents never supported my decision to walk away from my buttoned-up career, even after I made a bunch of money.

From their viewpoint, wearing a suit with shiny shoes and going to sit in an office everyday is the definition of success. Of course they only believe this because they haven't been the guy doing that. They haven't gone to sit in an office to stare at excel spreadsheets all day, sitting in meaningless meetings and dreading waking up every Monday morning.

But I have. And I decided to walk away from that dreadful meaningless life.

Today I lead an unscripted life. I get to work on my dream projects and watch my kids grow up.

Does their support affect my health?
Does their support affect how I lead my family?
Does their support make a difference to my mission?

I finally learned to stop asking for permission and to do what I thought was best.

There are no social obligations, only social consequences.
Up to you to determine the consequences you're willing to live with to lead life on your own terms.
You're right. I need to stop seeking permission from my parents to live a life aligned with my goals.

Stargazer

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Mar 8, 2018
England
Do you know for a fact they won't support you?

There's a difference between saying 'I am not going to xyz' and having no alternative or some pie in the sky idea versus 'Listen, 2 months ago I started a small business and am already hitting $xyz consistently and still growing' and then explain the decision logically.

Dan

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Update: Thank you everyone for your support! It makes me feel way more confident about my choice here.

Wish me luck.

@perchboy looks like you've got some "competition"!

If your parents will kick you out after graduating high school just because you're not going to go straight to a useless college degree, then I say: F*ck em. Sounds rude but it's true. You can be the bigger man here. Have their friends say "Have you heard about Andres? He's living a good life, last I heard he's making 6 figures running his own business and living in a lake house."

Don't argue with your parents. Just say "Yep, I'm working hard, I'm making $5k/month and I've just gotten started. If I fail I'll go back to school on my own dime. It's my choice and if you don't want me around, I'll be at girlfriend's house."

I think you'll do well in life.

jcrey

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Mar 3, 2019

Wish me luck.
As a parent I sometimes dont get the logic behind why other parents are stopping their kids to learn life skills that school dont offer.

Hang in there lad, I reckon you are on the right track.

trulyandres

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
342%
Dec 12, 2023
As a parent I sometimes dont get the logic behind why other parents are stopping their kids to learn life skills that school dont offer.

Hang in there lad, I reckon you are on the right track.
Thank you, I appreciate the support from older guys like you.

I love my dad and I understand where he's coming from, even if I wholeheartedly disagree. We are from Venezuela (total shithole now) and he was able to escape by graduating top of his class in university and then getting a law degree from Harvard. A big company hired him and we moved here to the United States. Formal education meant EVERYTHING to him, so he is not at all supportive of non-traditional paths like mine.

trulyandres

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
342%
Dec 12, 2023
Do you know for a fact they won't support you?

There's a difference between saying 'I am not going to xyz' and having no alternative or some pie in the sky idea versus 'Listen, 2 months ago I started a small business and am already hitting $xyz consistently and still growing' and then explain the decision logically.

Dan
Yeah, I'm fairly sure. I kept them updated when I was making $2500 a month. They thought it was a waste of time then so I think they'll probably think the same now even though I make twice as much.

jcrey

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Mar 3, 2019

I love my dad and I understand where he's coming from, even if I wholeheartedly disagree. We are from Venezuela (total shithole now) and he was able to escape by graduating top of his class in university and then getting a law degree from Harvard. A big company hired him and we moved here to the United States. Formal education meant EVERYTHING to him, so he is not at all supportive of non-traditional paths like mine.
This is a classic generation gap, I sometimes experience this with my kids. I also had time to reflect on my own experience when I was in their shoes.

this is a classic generation gap. I had time to reflect on my experience and was able to adjust it when dealing with my kids. Just follow your heart, if your parents see that you are happy with what you are doing, they will let you do it eventually.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
461%
Mar 15, 2018

I left home at 17 and never looked back.

But unlike you, I went after the education yet never stopped side-hustles. Why does it have to be either/or? It was my ticket out of a country that didn't provide me with what I wanted. Similar to your dad, world class education with top level jobs allowed me to become who I am today. On this forum, financially, I am a giga-Chad, no two ways about it. But I choose never to talk numbers, because it should make no difference. Solid advice should stand on its own.

That is unless you are 17 and start thinking that this place is "like-minded individuals confirming what you already know". Impressionable post pubescent teens turning into adults go through such changes, geez I remember being like that. Painful time of life, actually.

My reply here is only because I want you to get a different perspective, slightly different from what your typical response "F*ck your parent's opinion" will say.

1. You don't even know what will become important in your future to you. Today you boldly proclaim that you are making more than your teachers, as if that was some high bar. F*ck. You make more than 99% of people on this forum, so what? You aren't event at 6 figures and these days 7 figures is not that much IMO.
  2. If you are so bright and "genius" level performer, you are smarter than your parents and literally most of the population out there (hence your business performance at 17!)... why can't you do both? Washing cars as you side hustle while you are crushing it with education? Ahh... because education is flawed, teaches us nothing and you make more money than your teachers.

*waiting on all the haters to join in bashing education as much as everyone bashes jobs here...*

Now that we got all that out of the way, here are some thoughts and questions:

• What alternatives have you evaluated before thinking "detailing over education" decision? List at least 10 please.
  • How does your detailing business stack up against CENTS framework? I'll wait.
  • If entrepreneurs are inventors who solve big problems, what will be your personal exposure to such problems you'll be able to identify, let alone solve by working detailing for the next few years? Not impossible, but might be harder than you think!
  • Let's talk statistics. How many 17 year old car detailers made it to being truly financially free? What does the math say? How many well educated entrepreneurs made it to the same levels? What kind of entrepreneur typically achieves the greatest results? What do they have/know/experience? How are you increasing the odds of your success.

Your ability to understand finance, raising capital, present in boardrooms, business writing ... just a few ;).

I have nothing against a side hustle, I applaud you for doing what you did until now. But I want to shine the light into a dark corner where there's hate towards formal education. Yet it can provide great connections (people!), especially if you are bright enough to get into world class college.

Drop out when you know your business is not only killing it, but needs you full time. But please define "killing it" 1,000x higher than a teachers salary!

darkcyrus101

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Oct 31, 2022
Kuala Lumpur
I left home at 17 and never looked back.

But unlike you, I went after the education yet never stopped side-hustles. Why does it have to be either/or? It was my ticket out of a country that didn't provide me with what I wanted. Similar to your dad, world class education with top level jobs allowed me to become who I am today. On this forum, financially, I am a giga-Chad, no two ways about it. But I choose never to talk numbers, because it should make no difference. Solid advice should stand on its own.

That is unless you are 17 and start thinking that this place is "like-minded individuals confirming what you already know". Impressionable post pubescent teens turning into adults go through such changes, geez I remember being like that. Painful time of life, actually.

My reply here is only because I want you to get a different perspective, slightly different from what your typical response "F*ck your parent's opinion" will say.

1. You don't even know what will become important in your future to you. Today you boldly proclaim that you are making more than your teachers, as if that was some high bar. F*ck. You make more than 99% of people on this forum, so what? You aren't event at 6 figures and these days 7 figures is not that much IMO.
  2. If you are so bright and "genius" level performer, you are smarter than your parents and literally most of the population out there (hence your business performance at 17!)... why can't you do both? Washing cars as you side hustle while you are crushing it with education? Ahh... because education is flawed, teaches us nothing and you make more money than your teachers.

*waiting on all the haters to join in bashing education as much as everyone bashes jobs here...*

Now that we got all that out of the way, here are some thoughts and questions:

• What alternatives have you evaluated before thinking "detailing over education" decision? List at least 10 please.
  • How does your detailing business stack up against CENTS framework? I'll wait.
  • If entrepreneurs are inventors who solve big problems, what will be your personal exposure to such problems you'll be able to identify, let alone solve by working detailing for the next few years? Not impossible, but might be harder than you think!
  • Let's talk statistics. How many 17 year old car detailers made it to being truly financially free? What does the math say? How many well educated entrepreneurs made it to the same levels? What kind of entrepreneur typically achieves the greatest results? What do they have/know/experience? How are you increasing the odds of your success.

Your ability to understand finance, raising capital, present in boardrooms, business writing ... just a few ;).

I have nothing against a side hustle, I applaud you for doing what you did until now. But I want to shine the light into a dark corner where there's hate towards formal education. Yet it can provide great connections (people!), especially if you are bright enough to get into world class college.

Drop out when you know your business is not only killing it, but needs you full time. But please define "killing it" 1,000x higher than a teachers salary!
I agree with this. The books have planted a seed of hate towards formal education... Everyone's path is different. There's no one size fits all.

AceVentures

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
406%
Apr 16, 2019
There’s no “seed” planted to hate formal education.

When the institutionalized form of learning outputs brain dead groupthink rather than critical thinkers with useful life skills, it becomes clear as an outdated and corrupt format for mature development.

Self learning is the only learning worth anything to you or to the world. Nobody is against learning. Only against the idea that institutionalized learning is superior to self-learning.

I doubt OPs ambitions are to detail cars for the rest of his life. And his mentioning outearning his teachers isn’t to brag about success but to highlight the inconsistency with being told to show up and sacrifice his potential to be “educated” by someone who can’t produce as much as OP can of his own volition.

It’s critical thinking to question the use of that form of learning which doesn’t yield the value he seeks and is capable of producing on his own, and that’s only at 17.

His options aren’t limited to “car detailing for the rest of his life” or formal education. He can replace the formal educational pathway for one designed to his needs and goals. Getting coaches, mentors, and surrounding himself with his superiors is imo a better strategy than sitting in a classroom with a blue-haired liberal arts major who pretends they’re your superior without having earned that respect.

An example of unconventional learning could be spending a month with @Johnny boy to learn the ropes of a service business. Wouldn’t that be far more valuable than spending a month memorizing made-up historical facts at his high school?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.