The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

If You are a Student, Ditching Efforts in Studies Could be Your Biggest Mistake

Anything related to matters of the mind

SnowLava

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jul 7, 2023
India
Hey folks, time for a story! So, after I read The Millionaire Fastlane (MFL) , I got my hands on Unscripted . In Unscripted , there's a part about school, and it hit me like a ton of bricks. Teachers and parents, they're living by the script and want us to do the same, which is kinda average. My ego was like, "Look at me, I'm different!"

So, I drop my "I'm-going-to-be-a-business-tycoon-someday" bomb on my unsuspecting mom. Hold up, did I say I actually had a business? Nah, just that someday, in the distant galaxy of time, business might be in my cards. Mom wasn't so thrilled. She said it's risky, and I should just get a regular job like my brother.

Of course, I had my verbal armor on – defending my someday-somehow business dreams. It was like a verbal tennis match between "Mom's Reality" and "My Cinematic Future." But oh boy, did it escalate into a full-on debate! I even dared to drop the line, "Marks won't make me rich." Yeah, that didn't go down well.

Now that I think about it, I was being so silly and foolish. Turns out, marks are very important. They open doors, like getting into good colleges(govt ones that do not require a fortune to study). I realized I was being lazy when I said grades don't matter. It was just a defense mechanism. My actual problem was I didnt want to do the hardwork. I didn't have a business, but there I was acting like a business expert to my mom who knows way more about life.

Here's what I get now:

1. School Isn't All Bad: Yeah, it's not just boring stuff. We learn useful skills, like managing time and getting better at learning things.
  2. Hard Work Matters: Even if we don't feel like it, if we study, we develop that skill. To do the work when we dont feel like it. That would be very useful as an actual entrepreneur.
  3. Just because I know a lot of things about the 'Unscripted life', doesn't mean I have that life and I can dismiss people who have a lot of experience in the real world.
I'm not saying something totally new, but learning these things on my own made it sink in better.

Let's stay humble while we are on this journey!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Dark Water

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
238%
Mar 25, 2014
The script is a much easier game to play and win, and succeeding there just makes your unscripted journey easier. There are guidelines, the path is well lit and traveled, and like children's bowling, there are bumper guards up everywhere you go.

There's no reason not to take advantage of that early on.

Getting good grades -> scholarships/less expensive college -> more time to work on unscripted pursuits while having less of a future burden.

But you can and should develop your unscripted mindset/skillset/endeavors alongside your usual day-to-day. Just keep your unscripted cards close to your chest.

SnowLava

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jul 7, 2023
India
succeeding there just makes your unscripted journey easier.
Needed to hear this. Thanks! Getting into good college, jobs etc. could be used as a way of building XP required for being a good entrepreneur.

Tyler_Durden

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Aug 14, 2023
True, school is actually an fantastic place to learn socal skills and actually selling.
You like the one girl in class? Learn to providr value and be a good man to her. Learn to take the risk of getting rejected.

You have a group project? Be a leader and do the most stuff so people will do theirs and respect you.

My mentality shiftet thanks to this forum toward school.
Unscripted living is actually to be a fantastic giver that provides value to other humans.

It is not about being rich, it is about not being selfish and make the lifes of people around you better.

Instead of taking we must learn to give and to help without focusing on the thibgs we might get but instead of the things we can give.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
635%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
You should stay in school because if all it takes is your mom to argue with you for you to lose all frame of the conversation you are obviously not gonna make it.

You can stay humble, just promise you won't hate on us winners when we get everything we want and life seems unfair and we are arrogant and not humble like you.

Humble
adjective

1. having or showing a modest or low estimate of one's own importance.

Speak for yourself. This is the last thing I want to be. Nobody is going to lift you up and make you important, you are the only one who can think anything of yourself. You are making a big mistake and deserve the lack of success that's coming for every man who calls himself humble.

Consolation

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Sep 6, 2017
Malaysia
I quit college even though I had few months left. This was few years ago. Not to start a business. But, I just couldn't figure out what the hell am I doing with my life for the past 3 years in college, and what would it be for the next 3 years after college.

This was months before my FTE, months before I found TMF . Seems like a dejavu, when I looked back. How the hell I was able to see the Script is being played on, I have no idea.

Quitting college is easy. And if you want to go back to school, that's easy too, IMO.

When I was in college, I have developed few skills from doing social service. I have skills in Photoshop, and I took IT too. So, when I started my first business, the learning curve of doing graphic design and web design were not so huge.

I was much already into books since 5 years old, so it's just natural for me when I want to know about a certain parts of a business, I learned it by reading. Furthermore, English is my third language, so imagine how many books or articles that I can consume to polish my skills.

I have already have large social circles when in college, so it's easy for me if I need help from someone wether it's business related or not. Few senior aged ladies that I know sometimes called me for help, and I will sure have extra cash.

TLDR: I'm not suggesting everyone who's a student to quit. But ask yourself are you willing to endure the process afterwards?

Ps. I didn't bid farewell to my family when I moved to start a business.

Tyler_Durden

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Aug 14, 2023
You should stay in school because if all it takes is your mom to argue with you for you to lose all frame of the conversation you are obviously not gonna make it.

You can stay humble, just promise you won't hate on us winners when we get everything we want and life seems unfair and we are arrogant and not humble like you.

Humble
adjective

Speak for yourself. This is the last thing I want to be. Nobody is going to lift you up and make you important, you are the only one who can think anything of yourself. You are making a big mistake and deserve the lack of success that's coming for every man who calls himself humble.
Isn´t to be humble to accept that you are not special in comparison to other´s. Therfore you need to bring the efford (or even more) others would bring for the same result? Please correct me if I am wrong but I am a bit confused because i think to remain humble is something good. It reminds you that if you want to make a few millions, you need to work like somebody who could get a Million

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
635%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Isn´t to be humble to accept that you are not special in comparison to other´s. Therfore you need to bring the efford (or even more) others would bring for the same result? Please correct me if I am wrong but I am a bit confused because i think to remain humble is something good. It reminds you that if you want to make a few millions, you need to work like somebody who could get a Million
Idk what tf you’re talking about but no…humility is for the poor people

SnowLava

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jul 7, 2023
India

Humble
adjective

Well perhaps you are right. But what I mean by being 'humble' is to not act like I am an expert in the Unscripted life just because I read about it, without having any experience of it.

Maybe I have got the definition of humility wrong. I do not mean seeing myself as 'below' others, but as MJ DeMarco said in the MLF, I dont want to think of myself as deserving of an unscripted life without any hardwork.

But maybe I am wrong and I would love to correct myself.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Like so many things in life, experience will teach you that things are not always yes or no. There are times you need to be self assured and steadfast. There are also times in life to be more receptive and less arrogant. Inexperienced people that think they know it all are very hard to teach and work with.

Edit to add: Do not equate being humble with being weak. Sometimes it takes a strong person to admit they don't know something and need to be taught.

Last edited:

James Klymus

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Dec 28, 2018
Chicago, Illinois
Get good grades so you can get 6 figures in debt and get indoctrinated for another 4 years.

College is bad for most people for 3 reasons:

1. Crippling debt
2. Massive waste of time (4+ years)
3. You're getting the same credentials as everyone else. The world doesn't need another business major, Nor will it help you stand out from the others applying for the job.

I'll say this, Since nothing is black and white: If you have the opportunity to go to a prestigious university where you will be able to gain connections with 1%ers, Or if you have the opportunity to play sports at a D1 school, Go for it. There is no never or always. Of course if you are going to be a doctor, Lawyer blah blah...

I say that because I know people will say "Well what if!" or "Well I...". Yes there are exceptions. But in general college is a scam. Overpriced, Forced politically correct ideology, And 4+ years of your life for a job you could have gotten without a degree.

Most people are not going to Harvard. They are going to the same state school everyone else can get into.

We have the internet, Where we can learn anything we want.

At the end of the day, Companies SHOULD hire you based on results. It would be absolutely moronic for a hiring manager to say "You solve our problem perfectly and would be an asset to this company, Too bad you didn't go to college"

As Andy Black likes to say, "What can you do to help someone this week?"

SnowLava

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jul 7, 2023
India
Last edited:

SnowLava

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jul 7, 2023
India
How you do anything is how you do everything. - From @Subsonic's profile.
What exactly does this proverb mean? That our attitude towards any small, often seemingly insignificant task, dictate our attitude towards the big tasks?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.