The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Information Technology

Guru

Lima Whiskey

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Aug 6, 2023
Hi guys.
I have a specific interest in the IT profession of Penetration Testing (a.k.a. Ethical Hacking) and I am currently learning the basics of how to utilize Kali Linux to execute White/Gray Hat Hacking.
I believe there are many in this forum who are knowledgeable in this field, so it would be very insightful and helpful if anyone can share his/her experience of: 1) how you make money from your skills, 2) what avenues are available for a person possessing this specific skill set to start their Fastlane journey towards passive income and financial freedom.
Cheers.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

rakesh3

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jul 23, 2023
Hi guys.
I have a specific interest in the IT profession of Penetration Testing (a.k.a. Ethical Hacking) and I am currently learning the basics of how to utilize Kali Linux to execute White/Gray Hat Hacking.
I believe there are many in this forum who are knowledgeable in this field, so it would be very insightful and helpful if anyone can share his/her experience of: 1) how you make money from your skills, 2) what avenues are available for a person possessing this specific skill set to start their Fastlane journey towards passive income and financial freedom.
Cheers.
Well, I am trying to find a way to make money from my skills(currently learning web design and business skills). I am looking to make money through any freelancing space in the beginning and then move on to other ways, also find how many require the Ethical hacking skill that you are learning and how it would impact others(provide Value). Hope this helps

Lima Whiskey

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Aug 6, 2023
Well, I am trying to find a way to make money from my skills(currently learning web design and business skills). I am looking to make money through any freelancing space in the beginning and then move on to other ways, also find how many require the Ethical hacking skill that you are learning and how it would impact others(provide Value). Hope this helps
Thank you for sharing your thoughts brother.
All the best in your endeavor as well.

Tau Ceti

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Sep 15, 2014
Stockholm, Sweden
Hi guys.
Cheers.

Hi,

You can make money from your skills by either selling your time or selling your services.
To sell your time, you can become an employee or a freelance contractor.

To sell a service, you could become a consultant on a retainer by multiple companies or you could also adopt the subscription model from this guy designjoy: DesignJoy - Unlimited Design & Revisions . That is a contractor on retainer. How much does this apply to ethical hacking, pen testing,etc I am not sure and I guess that is up to you to discover that but it could be one way to make it work.

Cyber security is a tough filed. You always have to learn , always have to be on the bleeding edge of technology. I would assume this type of job leads to burn out if you are not ready for it.

To be honest if you are just starting, you should first pay your dues if I may say so. That is, try to get on some bug bounty programs and see if you can get some money this way. Then later approach the companies with your bug bounty track record and offer your services.

Otherwise no company will hire you because experience and knowledge is king in this space.

Later you could also create a SaaS related to cyber security.

Good luck to you.

Sandboarder

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Jun 14, 2023
There are many successful companies offering pentesting as a B2B service, selling courses and offering certificates or doing both. You've landed on this forum, so you would probably prefer to have a team that do it for you rather than doing it yourself, but still you need knowledge to manage it. Also consider getting into defensive cybersec, it offers more opportunities.

Lima Whiskey

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Aug 6, 2023
Hi,

You can make money from your skills by either selling your time or selling your services.
To sell your time, you can become an employee or a freelance contractor.

To sell a service, you could become a consultant on a retainer by multiple companies or you could also adopt the subscription model from this guy designjoy: DesignJoy - Unlimited Design & Revisions . That is a contractor on retainer. How much does this apply to ethical hacking, pen testing,etc I am not sure and I guess that is up to you to discover that but it could be one way to make it work.

Cyber security is a tough filed. You always have to learn , always have to be on the bleeding edge of technology. I would assume this type of job leads to burn out if you are not ready for it.

To be honest if you are just starting, you should first pay your dues if I may say so. That is, try to get on some bug bounty programs and see if you can get some money this way. Then later approach the companies with your bug bounty track record and offer your services.

Otherwise no company will hire you because experience and knowledge is king in this space.

Later you could also create a SaaS related to cyber security.

Good luck to you.
Thank you Sir. Your thoughts and reference is highly appreciated.

Lima Whiskey

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Aug 6, 2023
There are many successful companies offering pentesting as a B2B service, selling courses and offering certificates or doing both. You've landed on this forum, so you would probably prefer to have a team that do it for you rather than doing it yourself, but still you need knowledge to manage it. Also consider getting into defensive cybersec, it offers more opportunities.
Thank you for your reply. What you said is very helpful.

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
I would say Software or building a desktop application as like @Ravens_Shadow did. Sadly the industry as really taken a huge hit IMHO. I hail from this industry and have over 8 years of experience. Hiring has slowed, recruiters feel bad for passing up people, jobs are still being cut, and people are getting laid off. Competition is fierce for the most jobs.

Stay where your at, but I'd recommend that it might be time to start pivoting. Sadly enough for me, this is what I'm going to do.

I don't think the market will grow as fast as It did during COVID. If anything Tech grew because of it and couldn't handle the amount of growth. Their has been a tremendous amount of similarities to what is going in today in Tech close to the Dotcom bubble burst.

VCs no longer giving out money, investors pulling out their shares, interest rates skyrocket meaning borrowing becomes less lucrative to most, and companies who took on that debt are now facing the repercussions and how have to cut costs in order to stay profitable to the already investors by reducing headcount which is the easiest to cutoff first. The market is now trying to normalize to what it was pre-covid.

This cycle will repeat again and we do not want to be in the middle of it.

Good luck.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.