What's new

Intro

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 38,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Forum membership removes this block and all non-sponsor ads.

usf813

New Contributor
Hi Everyone,

This post is to introduce myself and tell a little of my story. I'll get right into it:

I grew up and went to high school in Central Florida. Upon graduating, I was already sold on the scripted life and knew I was going to college to get a degree. I just didn't know what to go for. I narrowed it down to computers or business, and since business seemed more practical, I went with that. My thought was that everything is a business, so that degree would always be in demand. I graduated from college during the Great Recession and couldn't easily find a job, even with my degree, so I went to work for my family's business. I worked there for about 8 years in the Accounting Department, then 2 years in IT. I also went back to school and got my MBA after several years. Since I was part of the family, the entire time I worked there I felt like an owner and treated the business as if it was my own. I believed I was an entrepreneur even though I wasn't. Reality hit me the day I was let go as a result of a dispute between family members in which I wasn't directly involved. This was my first stent in the scripted life.

Upon leaving that company, I took the opportunity to start my own business doing what I enjoyed, which was integrating financial software systems for companies. For about a year, I worked as a consultant doing just that. I charged by the hour to build financial/IT systems for companies and also did some tax work, which brought in additional recurring revenue. When my major projects were coming to an end, I was approached by an international automotive startup to set up their first US facility's financial systems and I accepted the offer. It just sounded interesting and exciting to me. However, they wouldn't hire me as a contractor so I became an employee once again. I kept my entrepreneurial dream barely alive by keeping my recurring tax clients on the side. I realize through all of this, even having my own business, I was still living the scripted life because I was trading my time for money.

I left that job after a year and decided to try my consulting business again. This time it would be different. My wife and I had just moved to a new city and I felt like we had a fresh start. I came up with a plan to go out and meet business owners. I was going to tell them what skills I had to offer and see if they had projects I could help with. I realize now what a mistake that was. Instead of starting by indentifying a need, I tried to market my skills like an employee. Even if I had found new clients, I would've been trading time for money once again. I struggled to find new clients and by the time I realized my mistakes I was out of money, looking for employment once again.

Fast forward to my current situation: I have been an employee working in finance for a large corporation for a year and a half. Through everything, I have managed to keep one consulting client for which I file taxes each month, but the income from this is minimal. I have not actively looked for new clients because I am looking for opportunities outside of consulting, where I don't have to trade time for money. I have gotten increasingly fed up with my employer having me work long hours and finally decided I've had enough. The major issue is that I depend on the income and benefits to support my family. If I'm going to leave my job, I have to quickly find another way to support us or dip into savings...but I have a plan...

I recently identified an opportunity in my local area where rv and boat storage is in high demand. Every lot in the area is full and there are waitlists. My plan is to open my own lot as soon as possible and begin generating monthly recurring revenue not tied to my time. The initial investment would be more than I have in cash, so I would like to put some money down and finance the rest. I am already making progress and completing actions to start this new business each day. Again, I do to feel as though I can leave my job at this time as it's supporting my family and the new business won't make enough to support us at first. Therefore, I plan to keep my job while starting this business and for around the first year of the new business' operation, until it can replace at least half of my current income. The advice I've received from entrepreneur friends of mine is to quit my job now and be forced to figure it out, but I am struggling to see how that would be possible without at minimum digging into savings and losing my down payment on the business.

I recently read the books FLM and Unscripted. They are wonderful and confirm a lot of my thoughts on what is missing from my life, what needs to change to get on the right track. If anyone has any advice on how I could make a better plan to get out of the scripted life, I would appreciate hearing your thoughts. Thanks for taking the time to read this. I'm happy to be on this new journey and a member of this community.

Thanks @MJ DeMarco for inspiring me to do more.

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs achieve reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circl, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today

Welcome to an Entrepreneurial Revolution

The Fastlane Forum empowers you to break free from conventional thinking to achieve financial freedom through UNSCRIPTED® Entrepreneurship where relative value and problem-solving are executed at scale. Living Unscripted® isn’t just a business strategy—it’s a way of life.

Follow MJ DeMarco

Get The Books that Change Lives...

The Fastlane entrepreneurial strategy is based on the CENTS Framework® which is based on the three best-selling books by MJ DeMarco.

mj demarco books
Back
Top Bottom