What's new

INTRO Introduction - Hello From Mesa, AZ - the 'Short and Long' - Excited to Join this Community

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 38,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Forum membership removes this block and all non-sponsor ads.

bensand495

New Contributor
Hi, I’m a mechanical engineer and small business owner in Mesa, Arizona.

Created an abridged version because, good grief! Apparently, I had a lot to say. This was the sentenced I typed at the end of my “F*ck you” moment:
Through it all, I’ve realized that I am my #1 opponent. That’s why I am here. To seek the wisdom of those of you who have made it through the gauntlet, and those of you who are still in it.

What brought me here was the books – I’m currently on Chapter 19 in Fastlane and Chapter 26 in Unscripted . I am enjoying them and should finish them up in the next few weeks, but I wanted to get an early start! This is the first real community that I’ve joined that I feel I want to grow with, learn from, and contribute to. Just this introduction ‘exercise’ was valuable to me, because – as mentioned – apparently there are a lot of things I needed to put in writing, if only just for my own sanity.

The truth is, I’m still recovering from 12 hour days at the med device company and my swift demise at the EVSE company (described in unabridged version) but I put it farther behind me every day. I’m excited for the next chapters in the books and in life – looking forward in the index, I’ll call these “Own Yourself First” and “Ignite Your Purpose, Invigorate Your Soul.”

Background summary AKA M.O.D.E.L. Citizenry? [and still lost my head]

I got my feet wet with some ‘sort-of-legal’ email marketing back in high school. Made some money, but as new laws came out, it became harder to legitimately make a profit, so the system was not replicable. Graduated 2014 from ASU with BSE, Mechanical Engineering. 2015-2018 New product development: Builders Hardware and Key Cutters. 2018-2022 Product development for medical device manufacturers – fast paced - Custom equipment and software control systems design, development, validation – designed 200-300 parts per year - Developed and deployed 2-3 custom software PLCs per year. Picked up 3D printing in 2020ish and I’ve built 2x industrial machines now, and sold 3D printed parts to various parties to pay off the equipment (but not the sweat equity LOL.) Nov 2022 – Mar 2023 Sr. ME at EVSE co and my head rolled.” Picked myself up and immediately got the bones of an Engineering service business up and running. Also, setup some framework for online ecom (Amazon.) I’m proud of what I’ve done, but I’m disappointed in my ability to get traction, and I am struggling with things like marketing, advertising, and self-promotion.

Unabridged Version
I think I've needed to write this for a long time - if only for myself...

Following the Script
After graduating in 2014, I began work at the Hillman Group developing new products – I was exposed to the world of product development, mass manufacturing, and distribution. I was fortunate enough to bring products from ideas to stocked items in big box stores. Some of the original ideas came straight from my ‘noggin’ and I was listed as an inventor on the patent (unfortunately, the rights of which were mandatorily sold to Hillman for “$1” – and I never actually saw that dollar…)

Engineering my involuntary slavery
From there I was recruited by the owner of a small company [the company] designing devices, fixtures, and tooling for medical device manufacturers. I hate to say, ‘there were warning signs’ because overall, the experience gained was/is very valuable, but it was work from home and I had to use my own computer and equipment – I spent thousands upfront to ‘get started,’ but I was getting paid, so no serious concerns. Here I was exposed to many fast-paced medical device projects on a yearly basis – I was able to improve my mechanical engineering/design skills as well as my software development skills in LabView, python, C++ - Invaluable; however, no benefits, no retirement. The ‘entrepreneurial’ calling strengthen here as well. Early on, there was always a ‘sour taste’ in my mouth, I was risking/sacrificing a lot – one particular period, projects were very slow, and I did not bill hours for ‘doing nothing,’ (despite being at my desk, ready for work) so my pay decreased – after that I renegotiated for salary. I pushed that roundabout experience deep down and still gave 100% in everything.

By the fourth year at this company, we had grown from three guys + the owner all working at home to ~15-20 employees working in two commercial warehouse buildings taking on advanced projects for multiple ‘largest med device mfgs in the world.’ Unfortunately, that sour taste never really subsided, and grew stronger through what appeared as targeted unfairness (I don’t feel sorry for myself, if anything it gave me a bit of drive and opportunity, despite becoming more noticeable). Long story short, I was assigned multiple full mechanical/software suite development projects as a sole mechanical engineer and software developer and left off the ‘high profile’ exciting projects that had multi-disciplined teams dedicated to them. I was reliable and always delivered yoy, once at the forefront of every project, now dedicated to sideline projects that pay the bills; although, my 10-12 hour days/week count was gradually increasing with these solo projects. The distaste really grew when a director of engineering was brought in (a real micro-manager), the new office had massage chairs, and the boss rolls up in a new electric truck. I was just barely scratching six figures, and had no equity or reward to show for sticking through and hitting years of early projects out of the park – except for massage chairs…? I never sat in or used one, purely out of principle. Call me proud or stubborn but investing my own money in home equipment and having periods of low billable hours impacting my take home only to see frivolous spending once we ‘made it’ was too much. I was ready to leave and when recruiters came calling, I evaluated my options and jumped at the most convenient offer – a Sr. Mechanical engineering position at an EVSE manufacturer, 40% raise, fully paid benefits.

My “Gamble of Hope”
The day before thanksgiving was my last day at that company, and the following Monday was my first day at the EVSE company. It was odd, it happened so fast – I showed up when my new boss told me to be there, but no one was there to greet me. I texted my boss. I knocked on the door, rang the doorbell, thinking ‘shoot, was I a few minutes late!?’ finally the plant manager meets me at the door, gives me a tour, and shows me my desk. He mentioned that my boss (Directory of Product Development) works remotely in another state and wasn’t there – a few hours later my boss texted me saying, sorry – I’m not actually there; reach out to person X. That was but a taste of things to come. Turns out the engineering department was a mess – there were multiple empty desks and two ‘abandoned’ desks – whoever was there left in a hurry... Not a good sign. First impressions – the work was light, the environment was casual (too casual?), and in many ways I was counting my blessings. Summarizing the next few months – it was slow – I never saw my boss and despite scheduling meetings (which he often cancelled) it was hard to get ahold of him. When we did speak, he was a MAJOR minute-detail-micro-manager and despite my best efforts, it somehow turned it into a pissing contest – ironically because he was uninformed or inept (turns out his family invested in the company and he was there on money, not merit.) He also pulled a few ‘bully’ moves that I was unfamiliar with, like EOD deadlines at 3PM without prior notice (and I always finished my work ahead of schedule) and rose to those challenges with a good spirit. I sought a lot of counsel on how to approach this – I really softened my approach, took good notes, and tried to deliver on everything he asked and document ‘why’ some things were impractical or would violate standards (such as Electrical or Fire Code.) Sort of shot myself in the foot again here – my project trackers showed he bounced around a lot and changed requirements on a whim, and my code lookups showed some things that he was adamant about were in fact illegal or unsafe (I really avoided trying to be ‘right’ by this point or proving him ‘wrong,’ but sometimes it was inevitable.) After almost two months of working there, he finally came to visit the AZ office, and I initiated a heart to heart. Taking insight straight from pages of ‘conflict resolution’ books, I explained that my goal is to work well together and opened a discussion of how we can best do that. Somewhere he asked if I planned to stay – I replied something like, “the projects where much simpler and smaller than anticipated, I don’t see myself working here past the year” <<Later found out that was a death sentence.

My “F*ck This” Moment:
2.75 Months in, I’m working on a design project that I ‘ground-up’ rehashed over about 2.5 weeks that they had swirling around for over a year prior to my arrival. It was a ~30 part small assembly, but I was excited. I was effectively navigating the ‘minefield’ of my boss and using tools to help our meetings move effectively with minimal backlash – I was addressing all of his concerns or requests exceptionally and quickly and I was always ready to implement feedback, I steered clear and did not engage when he took cheap shots. Thursday afternoon email from boss, “Hey I need you to finish those designs and drawings by Friday.” Response, “Do you mean this Friday (tomorrow) or next Friday?” 30 drawings and an assembly usually takes a few days no-matter where you are at. No response. Truly, ‘in-SPITE’ of him, I used some of my more ‘valuable skills’ and applied macros, software automation, and raw HP and cranked as fast as possible all Thursday night – finishing a ‘prelim package.’ Came in early on Friday and continued to crank. While it wasn’t up to my standards, it was up to industry standards, and I emailed him the completed CAD package and drawings Friday afternoon – he still had not clarified when it was ‘actually due.’ The rest is a bit of a blur, but I received a Teams call and HR asked me to go somewhere private. They then explained that I was terminated effective immediately, my boss was on the call as well and said, “sorry, but you knew this was coming, right? HAHA” I took the news calmly and collected myself and asked for feedback and why it was so sudden with no notice. They basically said that I wasn’t a good fit and I was still within the 90 day probation period. Turns out my recruiter has to deliver another candidate If I didn’t go past 90 days and I was one of many that went through the ‘revolving door.’ My recruiter eventually cancelled their contract with that company.

I slowly gathered my things and walked to my car. I slowly drove home. What am I going to tell my wife? What am I going to do?

Beginning my “Unscripted Life”
Next Monday, began filing my LLC, building my website, hiring graphic designers, and calling potential customers. A vendor that I was working for at the EVSE company (who incidentally told me that “My current boss was an a**hole and to be careful) awarded me my first design contract for a kiosk. I did it for next to nothing, but it gave me a kickstart and the ability to ‘small business’ a few more months. I’ve now operated for nearly 8 months. I’ve had multiple small customers, and one repeat customer who has literally ‘kept my doors open’ by hiring me to do 3D Print manufacturing and design work in multiple industries. I have also successfully opened an amazon store, sourced and shipped bulk product from overseas to an amazon warehouse, and actually sold a few. I’m at about 40% of my target for this period regarding the contract engineering side. I’m at ‘less than 0%’ on the Ecom side. I’m trying to find a groove and push my business through the gauntlet. It’s tough, but I’m ready!!

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs achieve reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circl, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today
Ximduni ecuesf.

Gummuxoph vji Tdsoqv
Egvis hsefaevoph op 2014, O cihep xusl ev vji Jommnep Hsuaq fiwimuqoph pix qsufadvt – O xet iyqutif vu vji xusmf ug qsufadv fiwimuqnipv, nett nepagedvasoph, epf fotvsocavoup. O xet gusvapevi ipuahj vu csoph qsufadvt gsun ofiet vu tvudlif ovint op coh cuy tvusit. Tuni ug vji usohopem ofiet deni tvseohjv gsun nz ‘puhhop’ epf O xet motvif et ep opwipvus up vji qevipv (apgusvapevimz, vji sohjvt ug xjodj xisi nepfevusomz tumf vu Jommnep gus “$1” – epf O piwis edvaemmz tex vjev fummes…)

Xux. Figopovimz tuapft moli zua jewi e gavasi op qsufadv fiwimuqnipv epf opwipvoph.

Ximduni! O'n emtu vji uxpis ug e tnemm catopitt op Nite. Op effovoup vu nz uvjis sumit, O fu emm ug vji i-dunnisdi epf hseqjod fitohp xusl gus vji dunqepz.

Ximduni ecuesf.

Xux. Figopovimz tuapft moli zua jewi e gavasi op qsufadv fiwimuqnipv epf opwipvoph.
NK, e siem qmietasi vu ci jisi epf vjepl zua gus qavvoph zuas xotfun op xsovoph (epf eafocmi)!

Hutj, O juqi tu. Op tuni xezt O giim vjev vji 'tdsoqv' us vji 'iphopiisoph tdsoqv' op qesvodames jet fammif nz dsievowovz epf nefi ni panc vu vji iydovinipv ug oppuwevowi ofiet. Updi csohjv izif epf catjz veomif, pux e fiwom't efwudevi. O jewi tuni ovint op vji xuslt, cav O gohjv xovj timg fuacv. Ot ov xusvj vji voni epf iggusv? Xomm ov qez ugg? Ov't ietois fiwimuqoph uvjis qiuqmit ofiet/iraoqnipv/ivd cideati vjisi ot e gmeh ev vji gopotj mopi - cav vjip O xomm tvomm ci e tmewi, katv xovj e foggisipv netvis. O piif vu TPEQ UAV UG OV!

O siemmz sitqidv jux zua vuul vu vji mocsesz, miespif pix tlommt, epf qatjif ep upmopi catopitt vu gsaovoup. E mieq O jewi nadj vu miesp gsun. Op vji niepvoni, O'mm liiq siefoph vu gopotj aq vjuti cuult (ecuav jemgxez vjisi...)

Ximduni! O'n emtu vji uxpis ug e tnemm catopitt op Nite. Op effovoup vu nz uvjis sumit, O fu emm ug vji i-dunnisdi epf hseqjod fitohp xusl gus vji dunqepz.
Jiz ov't hsiev vu niiv epuvjis mudem. Vjeplt gus vji ximduni puvi!

Jimmu epf ximduni! Xjev o fof op vji qetv xet vu tvesv e tnemm qsukidv katv gus vji teli ug ov. Opwipv e tnemm epf opiyqiptowi hefhiv vjev tumwit upi ug zuas uxp qsucmint.

O xuamf sidunnipf tunivjoph zua dep gopotj xovjop e nupvj us tu

Cz fuoph vjot zua dep:

- Tii og zua ipkuz vji qsuditt
- Tvesv tnemm tu zua dep tii vji „gopotj mopi“
- Giim vji kuz ug dsievoph tunivjoph gus zuastimg, puv gus tuniupi imti.
- Tvez up vsedl
- Ewuof Qsudsetvopevoph epf uwisvjoploph

- Cupat: Djepdit esi vjev zua‘si puv vji upmz upi xovj vjot qesvodames qsucmin ;)

Emm vji Citv !

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs achieve reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circl, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Welcome to an Entrepreneurial Revolution

The Fastlane Forum empowers you to break free from conventional thinking to achieve financial freedom through UNSCRIPTED® Entrepreneurship where relative value and problem-solving are executed at scale. Living Unscripted® isn’t just a business strategy—it’s a way of life.

Follow MJ DeMarco

Get The Books that Change Lives...

The Fastlane entrepreneurial strategy is based on the CENTS Framework® which is based on the three best-selling books by MJ DeMarco.

mj demarco books
Back
Top Bottom