The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Is it a waste of time to learn code if I don't know EXACTLY what I want to do with it?

Anything related to matters of the mind

liam_hughes_85

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Jan 7, 2022
I'm still kind of in the idea phase, still developing a better mindset with seeing opportunities to create value and solve problems and stuff. Spend a lot of time exercising that 'muscle'.

I've learned a bit of React JS and now Python in the meantime, and have a handful of ideas I have 'bookmarked' until I get to that skill level, but it's not a direct pathway to a specific idea. My justification is that no matter what I end up pursuing, having some coding know-how will be useful.

I feel like it's made me a better critical thinker and put me closer to understanding the tech start up/SAAS scene, thinking in terms of what tropes to avoid that everyone is doing. Kinda started doing it because I needed to do something while I acclimate myself and get better at finding ideas/problems (I've read a lot about mindset and marketing/strategy as well).

Just curious what people think; is it a waste of time to learn code if it's not directly for a specific project?

Happy Wednesday and hope your businesses/projects/day are going well.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA
no matter what skill you are learning, you will learn it 100x slower when you aren't learning it to do something specific

pick something specific and do it - like set up a phishing bot to spam fortunate 500 directors and up*

*I don't condone cyber crime, but there is a lot of money in it

SEBASTlAN

Marketing Wizard
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Dec 22, 2014
Los Angeles
The best way to get ideas is from doing the work and finding problems along the way. I'm sure after 6 or 7 freelance jobs something will pop up.

D

Deleted115974

I'm still kind of in the idea phase, still developing a better mindset with seeing opportunities to create value and solve problems and stuff. Spend a lot of time exercising that 'muscle'.

I've learned a bit of React JS and now Python in the meantime, and have a handful of ideas I have 'bookmarked' until I get to that skill level, but it's not a direct pathway to a specific idea. My justification is that no matter what I end up pursuing, having some coding know-how will be useful.

I feel like it's made me a better critical thinker and put me closer to understanding the tech start up/SAAS scene, thinking in terms of what tropes to avoid that everyone is doing. Kinda started doing it because I needed to do something while I acclimate myself and get better at finding ideas/problems (I've read a lot about mindset and marketing/strategy as well).

Just curious what people think; is it a waste of time to learn code if it's not directly for a specific project?

It depends, if you are learning to only complete your idea then you should only learn the things which will get things done.

However, if you have a lot of time, don't have any idea, and just want to learn, then Keep Learning! I had been coding since 9th-10th grade. I just kept learning for fun and now I am a founding MLE at a startup. So I feel that if you don't have any idea, the best thing you can do is to just keep learning!. Also as you code more, and make more projects, your vision o the things that can be solved grows.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Jun 3, 2015
Not so much a waste of time as a missed opportunity.

Learning while you're actually building something will make you learn better. Check out the book "Ultralearning" by the guy who passed an MIT degree in one year on his own.

He has some great advice and you can put it into action straight away.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I would highly suggest you get yourself a goal as you learn a new skill so you can push the feedback loop.

Aim to create something simple, even if it might not have any market value.

The key in its value is to yourself, to show yourself you can do it, and you can move on to bigger things.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe

This would be a really good listen:

Screenshot 2023-06-22 at 16.16.33.png

It is from Naval and covers a lot about the mindset of coding/building and building wealth.

He covers from a silicon valley background and it will line up a lot with your own skills and goals.

(I have listened to this entire thing like 15+ times over the years, it is really solid)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.