The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Is sending out a couple of hundred mass emails a month spam?

Marketing, social media, advertising

silentjay

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Feb 14, 2013
I've never done any type of email marketing before so go easy on me if this is completely stupid!

If I were to get someone to build a small email list for niche businesses I want to target, and then send out an identical email to them, looking at less than a hundred or so emails a month...is this going to be classed as spam? would I be risking getting my mailservers black listed?

If it's relatively safe are there any good services for this type of thing...or just use plain old gmail?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Twiki

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Oct 7, 2012
Well it's not a stupid concern that you raise, but it would be a terribly stupid thing to use Gmail or your own mailserver for this sort of thing. Google CAN-SPAM and "Aweber" and "MailCheat(Chimp)" and "MadMimi" (I've only used Aweber though). But if it's only a couple hundred or less on that list and this is a B2B thing, why not just call them up? Or at least send them each a custom email and forget the generic email idea?

PS. I think aweber may not be work for you depending on how the list is built, if it's opt-in or not.

Last edited:

petethepeddler

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
48%
Sep 2, 2010
PA / NY
Last edited by a moderator:

silentjay

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Feb 14, 2013
Thanks guys good advice, and I read the email thread link.

Think it's not really worth risking it, I'll go with the more personal approach using a less volume more customized emails and maybe include phone/sms marketing.

1step

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky
While this is technically still probably considered spam maybe you can attempt to mail merge a letter to each of them and then just copy and paste. It would be pretty simple if you are only sending a couple hundred a month, wouldnt take long and would still accomplish your goal.

silentjay

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Feb 14, 2013
While this is technically still probably considered spam maybe you can attempt to mail merge a letter to each of them and then just copy and paste. It would be pretty simple if you are only sending a couple hundred a month, wouldnt take long and would still accomplish your goal.

Thanks I'll keep this in mind. I sent out 25 targeted SMS's on the weekend, didn't get one lead. I've figured I'd need to get one sale per 50-70 sms's to make this form of marketing worthwhile

mayana

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Apr 26, 2011
Georgia, USA
It's spam if they didn't ask you to e-mail them (i.e. they didn't sign up for your list). I think what you are thinking of doing is spam.

If you know these people, take the time to send them individual e-mails and explain why they should sign up for your list. Then, you won't have to worry about it.

AntiGuru

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Feb 17, 2013
Canada
The volume doesn't matter, it's how you build the list that matters. Opt-in, preferably opt-in + confirm or if they've bought something from you, those are all legit ways to build the list and you should be able to email them safely, providing good disclosures and 1-click unsubscribes (and sending them meaningful content).

MailCheat(Chimp) is a good service, I also use a hosted version of that called Interspire which I use when I have an older list or customer segment that needs to be reactivated.

Laverdure

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Jan 18, 2012
I've never done any type of email marketing before so go easy on me if this is completely stupid!

If I were to get someone to build a small email list for niche businesses I want to target, and then send out an identical email to them, looking at less than a hundred or so emails a month...is this going to be classed as spam? would I be risking getting my mailservers black listed?

If it's relatively safe are there any good services for this type of thing...or just use plain old gmail?

Why don't you build a relationship with these guys on your email list and go for higher life time value o0?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.