The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Is there a need for this? (Literally)

Idea threads

The righteous

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Apr 23, 2024
One of the biggest problems I'm struggling with while coming up with ideas is "is there a need for this?"
So I thought, maybe many people more is struggling with this?
And I think I have come up with a trust score based website that allows you to post your business ideas, and you can choose between different levels of classified. Like if you want feedback on something but don't want someone else to do it you can select the highest classified option, but if you just want as much feedback as possible then you can select a lower option.
Is this something that would be useful for new businesses? Do y'all think there's a demand?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Choate

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
Mar 25, 2014
Boston
As we know, ideas are often worth nothing until there's execution and process involved.

But, in the hypothetical example of whether or not an idea is stolen, does a "higher classification" of protection not attract the very vultures who are looking to steal an idea?

In other words, the person with the means, capability and lack of moral compass to steal ideas right here on the forum isn't browsing the free sections—they have an INSIDERS subscription and blend in with the crowd. Likewise, with your idea, they are going to eventually find their way to the "highly classified" areas. It doesn't take 20,000 eyeballs for your idea to generate competition and copycats, but just 20 trained eyes who are looking for the next opportunity. At the end of the day, competition isn't necessarily bad though.

At its core, your idea is really just "business idea validation". Googling "validate my business idea" already has 75 million results. It sounds like there's already a market for this—and plenty of ideas and spins being tested. There's videos, Reddit posts, apps, and more... It's being hit by all angles. You are even doing it yourself in this post by asking the forum to validate your idea about idea validation.

But none of that is relevant. Can you make an MVP by Saturday and then send out 10-20 emails, a LinkedIn post, etc. by Monday?

The righteous

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Apr 23, 2024
As we know, ideas are often worth nothing until there's execution and process involved.
Yes, but going all in on a business without knowing if there's a need for it is very risky, and a lot more costly than spending some time and effort on finding out if there's a demand for it. I think many people want the security of knowing that people want it. It would have a way to target an audience to get relevant feedback.
But, in the hypothetical example of whether or not an idea is stolen, does a "higher classification" of protection not attract the very vultures who are looking to steal an idea?
I meant it more like, if they want anyone and everyone to review it, or if they want to be more careful. And I'd have very harsh ways to ensure that no ideas are leaked.
n other words, the person with the means, capability and lack of moral compass to steal ideas right here on the forum isn't browsing the free sections—they have an INSIDERS subscription and blend in with the crowd. Likewise, with your idea, they are going to eventually find their way to the "highly classified" areas. It doesn't take 20,000 eyeballs for your idea to generate competition and copycats, but just 20 trained eyes who are looking for the next opportunity. At the end of the day, competition isn't necessarily bad though.
I don't think anyone would be intersted in finding out what ideas some random collage student has. And yeah competition isn't bad, but perhaps you are starting from zero and don't want anyone ahead of you to use the idea that you want to do, they will have much more resources and ability to do it better and in a greater scale.
At its core, your idea is really just "business idea validation". Googling "validate my business idea" already has 75 million results. It sounds like there's already a market for this—and plenty of ideas and spins being tested. There's videos, Reddit posts, apps, and more... It's being hit by all angles. You are even doing it yourself in this post by asking the forum to validate your idea about idea validation.
And? I don't see anyone doing this. If I had the abillity to validate my idea without risking it getting leaked I definitely would. I am very vague with it in my fastlane post so I realize that the feedback I get isn't the best since it's based on a very vague foundation (I still appreciate your feedback a lot).

But none of that is relevant. Can you make an MVP by Saturday and then send out 10-20 emails, a LinkedIn post, etc. by Monday?
Sadly I cannot, far from. Even the simplest MVP would take at least a few months to do, and that's why I really want to make sure there's a need for it. This is the my biggest source of doubt. I don't want to repeat my first business where I spent months making something no one wanted

Choate

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
Mar 25, 2014
Boston
Yes, but going all in on a business without knowing if there's a need for it is very risky, and a lot more costly than spending some time and effort on finding out if there's a demand for it. I think many people want the security of knowing that people want it. It would have a way to target an audience to get relevant feedback.

I meant it more like, if they want anyone and everyone to review it, or if they want to be more careful. And I'd have very harsh ways to ensure that no ideas are leaked.

I don't think anyone would be intersted in finding out what ideas some random collage student has. And yeah competition isn't bad, but perhaps you are starting from zero and don't want anyone ahead of you to use the idea that you want to do, they will have much more resources and ability to do it better and in a greater scale.

And? I don't see anyone doing this. If I had the abillity to validate my idea without risking it getting leaked I definitely would. I am very vague with it in my fastlane post so I realize that the feedback I get isn't the best since it's based on a very vague foundation (I still appreciate your feedback a lot).

Sadly I cannot, far from. Even the simplest MVP would take at least a few months to do, and that's why I really want to make sure there's a need for it. This is the my biggest source of doubt. I don't want to repeat my first business where I spent months making something no one wanted

Look: all I'm saying is that there is obviously a market for idea validation out there. The forum cannot tell you whether your specific spin of it is worth pursuing or not. And if you are going to listen to someone here tell you no, doesn't matter if it's MJ DeMarco himself, then you weren't going to be successful anyways.

The biggest issue I see is why you think it'll take months to create the "simplest" version of an MVP.

- Spend 1 hour brainstorming your target audience
- 1 hour reading Andy Black's posts on $0.01 Google ad campaigns
- 3 hours putting together a basic landing page
- $10 for a Fiverr explainer video
- $10 on driving traffic to the landing page for email signups

Sure, I left out some steps. Before you jump and say "that isn't possible because xyz..." think about the bigger picture here and what you are really looking for. You need feedback from less biased sources, your potential target audience; not forum members with all of our inherent biases and quirks.

The righteous

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Apr 23, 2024
Look: all I'm saying is that there is obviously a market for idea validation out there. The forum cannot tell you whether your specific spin of it is worth pursuing or not. And if you are going to listen to someone here tell you no, doesn't matter if it's MJ DeMarco himself, then you weren't going to be successful anyways.

The biggest issue I see is why you think it'll take months to create the "simplest" version of an MVP.

- Spend 1 hour brainstorming your target audience
- 1 hour reading Andy Black's posts on $0.01 Google ad campaigns
- 3 hours putting together a basic landing page
- $10 for a Fiverr explainer video
- $10 on driving traffic to the landing page for email signups

Sure, I left out some steps. Before you jump and say "that isn't possible because xyz..." think about the bigger picture here and what you are really looking for. You need feedback from less biased sources, your potential target audience; not forum members with all of our inherent biases and quirks.
Yeah I know. I just wanted to know what you all thought about it in general. And I'm sorry if I came of rude, i really appreciate you for giving your feedback.

Hmm interesting. So I get a bunch of people to sign up for it before it's launched? Because the business itself is a very complex website, which will take a few months at least, assuming I find someone else to work on it with me. This is really clever, now I can see if there's demand before spending countless hours making it. And I'm well acquainted with Facebook ads so yeah.

I'm going to consider this today, and see if this is something I'll do. Most likely I will. I really appreciate this awesome advice. Have a great day

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
One of the biggest problems I'm struggling with while coming up with ideas is "is there a need for this?"
And I think I have come up with a trust score based website that allows you to post your business ideas, and you can choose between different levels of classified. Like if you want feedback on something but don't want someone else to do it you can select the highest classified option, but if you just want as much feedback as possible then you can select a lower option.
Is this something that would be useful for new businesses? Do y'all think there's a demand?
There's lots of people who need help getting started in business, and a lot of people looking for help too. I suspect the solution isn't to give them "ideas" but to show them it's not about ideas and is about finding people who need help, a service, or a product, and then delivering it profitably.

My thoughts on "ideas":

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
Bu
Build a mvp and find out if people pay for it.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.