The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • The Fastlane Forum Is Going Exclusively Private with Paid Access

After 17 years of my personal dedication to a freely accessible forum, the time has come for this forum to become a private, limited access community. To read more, visit the announcement thread.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Is this investment too much…?

Keushei

Serial Entrepeneur
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Dec 31, 2022
United kingdom
Will keep this short and to the point.

I’m launching an e-commerce brand and have got the initials designs for my product all developed in china. I’ve tested the product myself and works exactly as intended and believe there’s a real market for it.

Thing is, I know I have to to test the waters before buying in bulk. Moq is 300 pieces and will be around 2k dollars to ship over. I estimated my profit will be somewhere between 3-5k from selling all 300 units… it’s just untested.

Do you think I should get my site launched now and just have the item as out of stock and take pre orders/emails for when it’s back in stock?

Just fishing for ideas

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MichelleWood

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jun 28, 2023
Melbourne, Australia
Do you think I should get my site launched now and just have the item as out of stock and take pre orders/emails for when it’s back in stock?
Hey @Keushei !

First of all congratulations on actually taking action on your product development.

I don't think $2k is too much to invest. However would 100% go with the pre-sale model. I'm not a marketing expert but maybe something along the lines of 'pre-order now', rather than 'sold out'. People love to be the first to get a new item, it's a bit of FOMO and ego combined. You only need to look at the queue when a new iPhone comes out.

Ali B

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Feb 21, 2023
Melbourne, Australia
Build a fake landing page with no checkout, advertise it and see how many get to the "Buy now" page.

Try doing it in a more ethical way though

You'll learn a few more skills that way (building a landing page, marketing, and testing analysis).

If it doesn't go well, you've saved yourself 2k, if it does, you win 3-5k(assuming they sell).

Win-win.

Last edited:

Keushei

Serial Entrepeneur
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Dec 31, 2022
United kingdom
Build a fake landing page with no checkout, advertise it and see how many get to the "Buy now" page.

Try doing it in a more ethical way though

You'll learn a few more skills that way (building a landing page, marketing, and testing analysis).

If it doesn't go well, you've saved yourself 2k, if it does, you win 3-5k(assuming they sell).

Win-win.
Do you think landing page or shopify store?

I’ve half built a basic store but might be worth doing just a landing page.

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
294%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
Post the rest of your numbers, sale price, shipping costs, taxes etc

I’d build a store, you’re going to have to build one either way

You say you have the product and it works as you intended, you made it, or it was a sample?

If moneys tight just pay more per unit and order 100 as a test

I’d be giving it the best chance of success as possible otherwise you’ll end up dragging it out, what if I do this, what if I did that better etc, or worse, not trying properly and giving up thinking it doesn’t work when it would have

I’d probably order 100, send some to creators photographers and influencers, and aim to break even rather than profit. Worst case you sell them on marketplace

Also ads are expensive, doing a test and not taking their money would not give you much info, and probably result in you losing more money than if you broke even on a smaller order.

Keushei

Serial Entrepeneur
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Dec 31, 2022
United kingdom

You say you have the product and it works as you intended, you made it, or it was a sample?

I’d be giving it the best chance of success as possible otherwise you’ll end up dragging it out, what if I do this, what if I did that better etc, or worse, not trying properly and giving up thinking it doesn’t work when it would have

I’d probably order 100, send some to creators photographers and influencers, and aim to break even rather than profit. Worst case you sell them on marketplace

Also ads are expensive, doing a test and not taking their money would not give you much info, and probably result in you losing more money than if you broke even on a smaller order.
Sale price I’m testing in the 25-40 range. My guess is sales would happen at 32 but have to see.

I have a sample that works as intended. I have branding set up to be added but that’ll be on the first order, I don’t have a sample with branding on yet.

Moneys not tight, just don’t want to be forking out thousands unnecessarily. It’s my first time in e-commerce and don’t know the ropes well enough to be chucking money left right and centre. I’ll negotiate a 100 moq deal for a higher price though.

I’ll get the store built. Im a web dev too so should be done this weekend. Im using shopify which is painful when you know how to code. But I hear it’s good for back end etc.

My plan was to run some fb ads and tik tok ads as cheap as possible to test waters. I don’t plan to profit on this but a break even would be a win.

I feel like preorder/order 100 units is the way.

Keushei

Serial Entrepeneur
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Dec 31, 2022
United kingdom

Do you do you e-commerce? You sound like you know the game pretty well

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
294%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
Do you do you e-commerce? You sound like you know the game pretty well
Yeah I do

And yeah I think with 100 you can minimise the downside, worst case the remaining units sell on marketplace over time

Can you share all the numbers?
Tax, shipping, landed unit costs, packaging etc.

$32 is a very low price but can be done

Do people buy 1 of these or multiple? Will they reorder?

Keushei

Serial Entrepeneur
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Dec 31, 2022
United kingdom
Yeah I do

And yeah I think with 100 you can minimise the downside, worst case the remaining units sell on marketplace over time

Yeah I do

I don’t have all the costs worked out yet, but here’s a few:

Shipping stock from China is baked into the quote. Quoted 325 dollars but mentions the shipping time could be 50-60 days.. which seems excessive?

Production time is about a month but that’s fine.

The price would be 32ish pounds so more like 40 dollars,

The shipping price will be as cheap as I can get, possibly through Royal Mail to begin with. The package size and weight about size of a sports bottle so not huge.

Packaging is free from supplier. It comes in premium brown boxes and plan to stamp branding on the outer box rather than pay for branded boxes.

They may order a couple but one should be fine. My plan was to release supporting products down the road that would 100% benefit the customer too.these are consumables.

Keushei

Serial Entrepeneur
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Dec 31, 2022
United kingdom

Shipping stock from China is baked into the quote. Quoted 325 dollars but mentions the shipping time could be 50-60 days.. which seems excessive?

The shipping price will be as cheap as I can get, possibly through Royal Mail to begin with. The package size and weight about size of a sports bottle so not huge.

Packaging is free from supplier. It comes in premium brown boxes and plan to stamp branding on the outer box rather than pay for branded boxes.

They may order a couple but one should be fine. My plan was to release supporting products down the road that would 100% benefit the customer too.these are consumables.
To be honest, i Am getting another 1750 this weekend when this website is signed off that I’m building. So could just use that cash as the starting capital.

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
294%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia

50-60 days, is it DDU or DDP? I’m in Australia so it might be different but if it’s DDU you’ll have to pay customs fees and taxes which where I live it would be cheaper and faster just to do DDP. DDP sea is usually much faster because they process everything straight away at the port.

If you do 100 units maybe even just do ddp air

Keushei

Serial Entrepeneur
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Dec 31, 2022
United kingdom
50-60 days, is it DDU or DDP? I’m in Australia so it might be different but if it’s DDU you’ll have to pay customs fees and taxes which where I live it would be cheaper and faster just to do DDP. DDP sea is usually much faster because they process everything straight away at the port.

If you do 100 units maybe even just do ddp air
Oh okay, yeah I figured there was likely a better way to transport. Would ddp still be 50 days as that seems so long. Maybe I’m just naive.

I’ll take a look at transport options tonight.

Frances Kelleher

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Jan 24, 2024

I’m launching an e-commerce brand and have got the initials designs for my product all developed in china. I’ve tested the product myself and works exactly as intended and believe there’s a real market for it.

Thing is, I know I have to to test the waters before buying in bulk. Moq is 300 pieces and will be around 2k dollars to ship over. I estimated my profit will be somewhere between 3-5k from selling all 300 units… it’s just untested.

Just fishing for ideas
I agree with I

Just fishing for ideas
I agree with Michelle.

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
294%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
Oh okay, yeah I figured there was likely a better way to transport. Would ddp still be 50 days as that seems so long. Maybe I’m just naive.

I’ll take a look at transport options tonight.
I’m in Australia so might be different

Ddu usually 50-60
Ddp usually 20-45
Ddp air 8-12
Ddu air (fedex dhl etc) 3-5

DDU will be a cheaper quote but keep in mind you have to pay the customs fees

Yes you claim the tax back but usually the broker will charge $150 and there’ll be other fees too, you don’t get these back

So small orders are usually cheaper just to do ddp even though you don’t get the tax refund

Plus they’re faster

Also there’s usually like a base fee for small orders so air might not be much more expensive as you might think, sounds like your products are small

This is all just my experience in Australia, I’m sure someone in the shipping industry is shaking their head right now at this amateur advice/summary

Nishimura Sho

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jun 8, 2024
Do you think landing page or shopify store?

I’ve half built a basic store but might be worth doing just a landing page
Yes. It will be comfortable on Shopify.
Because WP is too slow for installing the woocommerce for landing page.
I am ecommerce developer. So I suggest Shopify platform for the landing page.

Keushei

Serial Entrepeneur
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Dec 31, 2022
United kingdom
Yes. It will be comfortable on Shopify.
Because WP is too slow for installing the woocommerce for landing page.
I am ecommerce developer. So I suggest Shopify platform for the landing page.
Orders being placed tomorrow. I’m paying 3 times the shipping for ddp air. The cost of waiting 60 days is too expensive.

Designs all mocked and sending payment tomorrow when some cash comes in.

I’m launching on Amazon and will do the shopify store too with some ads and organic marketing.

Still need to purchase barcodes, stamp for branding the packaging, leaflet supplier and I think that’s should be it for launch.

Keushei

Serial Entrepeneur
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Dec 31, 2022
United kingdom
Orders being placed tomorrow. I’m paying 3 times the shipping for ddp air. The cost of waiting 60 days is too expensive.

I’m launching on Amazon and will do the shopify store too with some ads and organic marketing.

Still need to purchase barcodes, stamp for branding the packaging, leaflet supplier and I think that’s should be it for launch.
I also code websites, so if any of you lovely people need a low cost website, let me know.

Would be wonderful if we could do business.. helps with my cash flow and you get a cheaper than normal website as always give discounts to fastlaners

Bounce Back

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Dec 30, 2023
Florida

So are you going to inspect/stamp them and then ship them to Amazon distribution? Or are you handling shipping them out?

Keushei

Serial Entrepeneur
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Dec 31, 2022
United kingdom
So are you going to inspect/stamp them and then ship them to Amazon distribution? Or are you handling shipping them out?
At this point I’ll be sending them out. Once things pick up, fba could be used in future.

The only thing I haven’t done is hire an inspector to check my order quality before shipping. They are sending a sample of finished product before they go ahead and mass produce though.

You think it’s worth hiring an inspector?

Bounce Back

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Dec 30, 2023
Florida
At this point I’ll be sending them out. Once things pick up, fba could be used in future.

The only thing I haven’t done is hire an inspector to check my order quality before shipping. They are sending a sample of finished product before they go ahead and mass produce though.

You think it’s worth hiring an inspector?
For your order size/price point I've seen in the other messages I wouldn't personally but that's just me (maybe future larger orders or if you switch the product up).

Keushei

Serial Entrepeneur
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Dec 31, 2022
United kingdom
Orders all finalised and payments sent.

Still need to sort out a stamp for branding the packaging; barcodes; setting up LTD (will get some sales before I do this step)
Sort out Amazon listings when I get the finished sample, take product photos, grow insta following.

Still a fair few things to whilst order is being produced. As soon as I get some traction I’ll place the next order as don’t want to run out of stock.

A part of me feels like I should be all in on this.. but I’m half doing web design and finding clients, half doing the e-commerce.

Stand by though that leaving my job was the best idea. It was such a time sink and now I’m free to per-sue business full time.

Bounce Back

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Dec 30, 2023
Florida

Still need to sort out a stamp for branding the packaging; barcodes; setting up LTD (will get some sales before I do this step)
Sort out Amazon listings when I get the finished sample, take product photos, grow insta following.

Still a fair few things to whilst order is being produced. As soon as I get some traction I’ll place the next order as don’t want to run out of stock.

A part of me feels like I should be all in on this.. but I’m half doing web design and finding clients, half doing the e-commerce.

Stand by though that leaving my job was the best idea. It was such a time sink and now I’m free to per-sue business full time.
Rooting for you man. Try to find creative ways to get high rated reviews asap.

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
294%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia

ecommerce is slow and expensive and has low margins

I’d keep doing as much web design as you can until you have enough profit from ecommerce

Keushei

Serial Entrepeneur
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Dec 31, 2022
United kingdom
Rooting for you man. Try to find creative ways to get high rated reviews asap.
Thanks! And yeah will do. I have a friend who runs a successful Amazon ads agency who said he’d help set up the products on there. I know i can figure it out but he may know a few things that you can only learn through launching a shit tonne of products for people.

Keushei

Serial Entrepeneur
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Dec 31, 2022
United kingdom
ecommerce is slow and expensive and has low margins

I’d keep doing as much web design as you can until you have enough profit from ecommerce
Thanks for the advice, I’m current building my new site for website stuff and planning to run seo on it. Should be done by the weekend.

Need to get better with lead gen as that’s the part I’m struggling with. Sales and designing I’m fine with.. just not so much lead gen.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.