The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Is this strategy entirely wrong?

Anything related to matters of the mind

MRiabov

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
May 30, 2023
Sup,

So I've recently noticed a simple pattern in all of my decision-making,

"abhor everything bad until you reach perfect and maybe you'll reach success"

This is how I approach everything. I abhor bad strategy until I look up or create the right one (very rarely create something myself), and attempt at executing it (fail to act or act until failure).

I abhor bad and unproductive outreach and am slashed if I have to do something I know is not good. I abhor bad friends until I can gain success because then the higher people will listen to me. Because I hope if I can be perfect and will do perfect the outcome is perfect and thus satisfactory.

My problem is - something rarely pops out. I spend a lot of time thinking, but I don't do outreach I am supposed to do. Because when I start doing outreach it becomes "holy crap. Don't you realize you can't SEO someone in 1 month? If we don't come up with something, and you won't be able to leadgen for your clients, you won't earn any money."

Is this headspace entirely wrong? Something is definitely wrong about me, because all the people seem to walk around me a looong way. Usually it's mediocre people that hate me around them, not the relatively successful ones. But I don't even know what decisions to do, so I came to ask - maybe the strategy that I have "inherited" from my family is entirely wrong?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

ChasingDream97

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Jun 19, 2023
Sup,

So I've recently noticed a simple pattern in all of my decision-making,

"abhor everything bad until you reach perfect and maybe you'll reach success"

This is how I approach everything. I abhor bad strategy until I look up or create the right one (very rarely create something myself), and attempt at executing it (fail to act or act until failure).

I abhor bad and unproductive outreach and am slashed if I have to do something I know is not good. I abhor bad friends until I can gain success because then the higher people will listen to me. Because I hope if I can be perfect and will do perfect the outcome is perfect and thus satisfactory.

My problem is - something rarely pops out. I spend a lot of time thinking, but I don't do outreach I am supposed to do. Because when I start doing outreach it becomes "holy crap. Don't you realize you can't SEO someone in 1 month? If we don't come up with something, and you won't be able to leadgen for your clients, you won't earn any money."

Is this headspace entirely wrong? Something is definitely wrong about me, because all the people seem to walk around me a looong way. Usually it's mediocre people that hate me around them, not the relatively successful ones. But I don't even know what decisions to do, so I came to ask - maybe the strategy that I have "inherited" from my family is entirely wrong?
It doesn't matter your mindset.
What matters are your results.
Is it working for you.
Are you on the road to what you want or are you drifting ?

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
634%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
So you're saying you overthink and don't do things unless they're perfect? So you end up procrastinating since it needs to be perfect to do it?

Remember...

Do it as good as it can be done.

Do it = Actually do it. No more "not doing". You actually have to do something.

As good = Try your best when you do it.

As it can be done = If you can't do it better, then that's as good as you do it. Even if it's "bad", it's still as good as it could be done.

You'll be bad. Then you'll get better. Have the patience to accept sucking at some things. See the wisdom in being a fool and not waiting to start, knowing that you are on a journey to becoming great, and the first step is sucking at it.

Let's play a game. Your goal is to get the highest score....

You have to build a clay pot. The nicest pot wins.

Point system:

Not building a pot at all = 0 points.

Bad pot = 2 points

Decent pot = 5 points

Good pot = 8 points

Great pot = 10 points

Anything you do is better than nothing.

I assume the actions you wish to take will not HURT you and get you thrown in jail or killed, so they don't really take you backwards at all. And sitting around takes up the same amount of time as trying.

So just remember, by doing nothing, you are choosing the WORST action. See that there's success in even bad, inefficient actions because it's some sort of momentum and experience and you can build from there.

Here's one of my favorite quotes because it punches me right in the gut....

“I saw my life branching out before me like the green fig tree in the story. From the tip of every branch, like a fat purple fig, a wonderful future beckoned and winked. One fig was a husband and a happy home and children, and another fig was a famous poet and another fig was a brilliant professor, and another fig was Ee Gee, the amazing editor, and another fig was Europe and Africa and South America, and another fig was Constantin and Socrates and Attila and a pack of other lovers with queer names and offbeat professions, and another fig was an Olympic lady crew champion, and beyond and above these figs were many more figs I couldn't quite make out. I saw myself sitting in the crotch of this fig tree, starving to death, just because I couldn't make up my mind which of the figs I would choose. I wanted each and every one of them, but choosing one meant losing all the rest, and, as I sat there, unable to decide, the figs began to wrinkle and go black, and, one by one, they plopped to the ground at my feet.”
― Sylvia Plath, The Bell Jar

Look around, what does real life look like. Everyone just going to their shit jobs, popping out babies, taking a few vacations, getting old and staring at a wall in a nursing home until they just die. All gone.

They probably all had dreams.

None of them came true.

There's a very real possibility you end up like them too. Dead figs at their feet.

Doesn't that scare the shit out of you?

That's what is destined for you. Especially if you continue to wait and procrastinate until things are perfect.

A poster hangs behind me in my office. It's my life in weeks. It's a sheet of 4,524 squares. Each representing 1 week of a normal lifespan.

1,340 something of mine are filled in. Gone.

30%. Poof.

I fill in the weeks.

They go by so fast.

It reminds me I need to get my motherfucking a$$ in GEAR! NOW.

Or else I will certainly be staring at a wall in a nursing home, thinking about my dead figs, so worried I couldn't have them all, and now I can't even have one.

Pick something worth being great at. Dig into it. Don't worry about sucking at it. And hit the ground running towards it with incredible urgency and enthusiasm. Focus on it each day, all day, every day, like your a$$ is on fire. Get better and better and then become great, always moving like you're being chased. Smarter, faster, harder, constantly analyzing and looking for new angles to improve while never stopping your progress.

For me, I have one thing that is a priority above all else. I do not put things in front of it. I think about it all day. All things are subordinate. The rest of my life is trying to focus on good habits, and having some fun sometimes. But the center of it all is my one focus, and my thinking revolves around how I'm going to get there in a direct path.

beginnermark

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Sep 16, 2023
So you're saying you overthink and don't do things unless they're perfect? So you end up procrastinating since it needs to be perfect to do it?

Remember...

As it can be done = If you can't do it better, then that's as good as you do it. Even if it's "bad", it's still as good as it could be done.

You'll be bad. Then you'll get better. Have the patience to accept sucking at some things. See the wisdom in being a fool and not waiting to start, knowing that you are on a journey to becoming great, and the first step is sucking at it.

Point system:

Bad pot = 2 points

Decent pot = 5 points

Good pot = 8 points

Great pot = 10 points

I assume the actions you wish to take will not HURT you and get you thrown in jail or killed, so they don't really take you backwards at all. And sitting around takes up the same amount of time as trying.

So just remember, by doing nothing, you are choosing the WORST action. See that there's success in even bad, inefficient actions because it's some sort of momentum and experience and you can build from there.

“I saw my life branching out before me like the green fig tree in the story. From the tip of every branch, like a fat purple fig, a wonderful future beckoned and winked. One fig was a husband and a happy home and children, and another fig was a famous poet and another fig was a brilliant professor, and another fig was Ee Gee, the amazing editor, and another fig was Europe and Africa and South America, and another fig was Constantin and Socrates and Attila and a pack of other lovers with queer names and offbeat professions, and another fig was an Olympic lady crew champion, and beyond and above these figs were many more figs I couldn't quite make out. I saw myself sitting in the crotch of this fig tree, starving to death, just because I couldn't make up my mind which of the figs I would choose. I wanted each and every one of them, but choosing one meant losing all the rest, and, as I sat there, unable to decide, the figs began to wrinkle and go black, and, one by one, they plopped to the ground at my feet.”

Look around, what does real life look like. Everyone just going to their shit jobs, popping out babies, taking a few vacations, getting old and staring at a wall in a nursing home until they just die. All gone.

None of them came true.

There's a very real possibility you end up like them too. Dead figs at their feet.

That's what is destined for you. Especially if you continue to wait and procrastinate until things are perfect.

A poster hangs behind me in my office. It's my life in weeks. It's a sheet of 4,524 squares. Each representing 1 week of a normal lifespan.

30%. Poof.

I fill in the weeks.

They go by so fast.

Or else I will certainly be staring at a wall in a nursing home, thinking about my dead figs, so worried I couldn't have them all, and now I can't even have one.

Pick something worth being great at. Dig into it. Don't worry about sucking at it. And hit the ground running towards it with incredible urgency and enthusiasm. Focus on it each day, all day, every day, like your a$$ is on fire. Get better and better and then become great, always moving like you're being chased. Smarter, faster, harder, constantly analyzing and looking for new angles to improve while never stopping your progress.

For me, I have one thing that is a priority above all else. I do not put things in front of it. I think about it all day. All things are subordinate. The rest of my life is trying to focus on good habits, and having some fun sometimes. But the center of it all is my one focus, and my thinking revolves around how I'm going to get there in a direct path.
nicely put

ChasingDream97

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Jun 19, 2023

Remember...

Point system:

Bad pot = 2 points

Decent pot = 5 points

Good pot = 8 points

Great pot = 10 points

None of them came true.

30%. Poof.

I fill in the weeks.

They go by so fast.

I should start thinking like this.
It would change my life for the better in a million ways

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA

30%. Poof.

I fill in the weeks.

That other 70% isn't even guaranteed.

I was listening to the Andy Frisella podcast with where Tim Grover (famous basketball strength coach) was talking about how people will tell you that you always have time. He got choked up talking about Kobe's untimely death (his long time client / friend) and he kept saying "you don't have time, you don't have time."

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
634%
May 9, 2017
Washington State

I was listening to the Andy Frisella podcast with where Tim Grover (famous basketball strength coach) was talking about how people will tell you that you always have time. He got choked up talking about Kobe's untimely death (his long time client / friend) and he kept saying "you don't have time, you don't have time."
True.

However, if I think I’m dying tomorrow, I would never do my laundry…

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia

The lesson for me rather seems to be avoid small plane and helicopters.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.