The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Is web design still a profitable business in 2023 ?

The business of web design

Naïm Rhioui

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Apr 29, 2023
So i read a thread from Fox (the fox web school) and the thing is that nowadays it is really easy to create website so i'm just wondering how it is possible to actually sell websites 10.000$ when you can actually make one with much less so i'm wondering if it's still profitable.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

nagualdev

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Aug 7, 2017
Spain
In my opinnion it depends on the type of web design you will offer.
You need to offer different designs/web components apart from those offered by tools like Elementor or Divi, for example.
Web components made by technologies like three.js are hard to be generated automatically by a tool, by now.

Regars,
Israel.

Indulgency

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Nov 3, 2019
You could probably make an entire business out of rescuing small businesses who thought they could do everything under the sun on a WIX site and now realize they cannot. Either by technical limitations, time, or weaknesses in a non-enterprise solution.

Maybe it is just me but I feel like I've heard a dozen stories just this past year of that exact struggle.

akshayazariah

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Feb 24, 2023
Short answer: yes... but with a condition — can you sell websites?

Long answer: it's not the act of designing websites itself that gets you sales, but rather, the ability to identify & effectively solve business problems. As the books state, problem-solving is the cornerstone of entrepreneurship. In order to drive sales, and ultimately business growth, you need to be solving problems and demonstrating value — whether that value is presented to consumers or other businesses (web design typically falls in the latter category).

Hell, I know people still making thousands of bucks a month from copywriting, even though the consensus would have it that many businesses are tending towards the replacement of manual labor with automated systems (AI tools, essentially) when it comes to things such as penning ad copy. Remember, you're not being paid to design websites; you're being paid to solve business problems. If you can do that, then yes — web design is absolutely profitable. Every day, tons of small businesses emerge with a lacking digital presence.

RicardoGrande

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
252%
May 9, 2021
So i read a thread from Fox (the fox web school) and the thing is that nowadays it is really easy to create website so i'm just wondering how it is possible to actually sell websites 10.000$ when you can actually make one with much less so i'm wondering if it's still profitable.
It may be easy to create a website but few business owners have the time, know how, or ability to set up a website that meets their needs and meet them well. New businesses are also getting stood up around the clock.

For reference: One of my first big clients tried to set his site up himself on wix, but in his own words "it was a mess". He had no problems handing the reins over and was thrilled with what I was able to set up for him. The job was very profitable.

The bigger issue will be finding prospects you believe you can help, getting your foot in the door, and making the sale. The bigger issue I've experienced is that a good chunk of businesses have higher priorities than their sites (lack of employees, plenty of work) so you have to be ready to roll a numbers game as you hit a few early projects out of the park and work to sell those results to other businesses and win projects.

Bence Ur

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
99%
Aug 24, 2023
It may be easy to create a website but few business owners have the time, know how, or ability to set up a website that meets their needs and meet them well. New businesses are also getting stood up around the clock.
Yes for example in WordPress you install a theme or a plugin, then all of a sudden you can change everything yourself without code, I mean everything:
- layout
- colors
- borders, border styles
- text decoration
- size
- animation
- padding, margin
- rounded corners
- background
- images, image styles
- add videos
etc.

But it doesn't guarantee that the end result will be good.

JohnE10

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Aug 26, 2023
Toronto, ON Canada

In addition to what's been mentioned already, business owners want to engage in their craft; they don't want anything to do with building a website, no matter how easy it may be. They certainly don't want to maintain one.

It's much more appealing to just pay someone to do it.

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
A good website isn't just about looking nice. It's about addressing real business needs. If your plan is to create websites that focus on looks and winning awards, you're probably not going to get far.

In 2023, do websites addressing real business challenges and owner concerns hold value? Absolutely.

But, are websites that are merely eye-catching without any real substance valuable in 2023? Not at all.

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas

Yes it is, most people who were able to charge that amount were due the amount of value they have produced for that company. Value means the problems they have either solved or the sheer amount of sales the website has produced for the client they have worked with.

There is a misconception when people say Value a bit. The word value is still by any means the holy grail. But if you get very granular. If you were able to get a manufacturing company a million-dollar contract or even a $100,000 dollar contract. You could charge them 10% of the total value created that the website has produced. Thus, making you the $10,000 in value back to your pocket.

I am about to receive $625 dollars for a website build that I am about to complete, this client has been in the talks for months. So this is gonna be awesome. I sent the invoice today.

My portfolio client charges anywhere between $800 to $3,000 dollars for a project if not more depending on the sheer size of the house or fireplace for the German schmear mortar coloring. Still boggles my mind. Right now, her business is booming and the website I have created just helped her client base prove that she has the capability to perform the job.

User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Sep 9, 2021
Então eu li um tópico da Fox (a Fox Web School) e o fato é que hoje em dia é muito fácil criar um site, então estou me perguntando como é possível realmente vender sites por 10.000$ quando você realmente pode fazer um com muito menos, estou me perguntando se ainda é lucrativo.

friend sincerely creating a website to create will not be as profitable as it was profitable it will be for those who are in the backend today we have artificial intelligence that makes websites in minutes a real slap in the face of those who type codes all day (html\css3) when such artificial intelligence for creating websites have an integration with javascript there in fact and game over see the case of Durable i.a

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.