The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • The Fastlane Forum Is Going Exclusively Private with Paid Access

After 17 years of my personal dedication to a freely accessible forum, the time has come for this forum to become a private, limited access community. To read more, visit the announcement thread.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I've failed at this for 9 years... what now?

Feedback

College Dropout

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
139%
Nov 22, 2017
Winston-Salem, NC
Well if you’re going to be an amoral douche then I hope you fail.

I’m not screwing anyone over, and the more successful people I’ve met didn’t have to either.
Can your employees afford to live? What about your products... are they ethically sourced or are there nets around the manufacturing plants? Somewhere down the line someone is being made to pay for your success.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
Can your employees afford to live? What about your products... are they ethically sourced or are there nets around the manufacturing plants? Somewhere down the line someone is being made to pay for your success.
Chill. You sound bitter because you are frustrated.

Take a step back to plan for the next move.

Bounce Back

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Dec 30, 2023
Florida
Chill. You sound bitter because you are frustrated.

Take a step back to plan for the next move.
I just want to add because this is basically where all the blue-haired folks come from just they are on a quicker circuit (skip the trying that at least this guy did):

To CollegeDropout:

This, even though it may feel matrix-breaking/illusion-shattering and just so meta that it rises above all the "traps" of wantrapreneurship, is just a scape-goat cop out type mental maneuver. Everything goes back to ego.

You had to suppress ego to make money -> put yourself in uncomfortable situations

You then felt/painted yourself abused -> ego stirred back up

You fought your ego back -> tried new things/businesses

Those failed/you gave up to early, either way didn't work out -> Choice of accepting you either sucked at it, or are not special and this wasn't your lucky draw (hit to your ego again) OR "it is impossible and all exchanges of values are inherently abuse and evil".
One of those allows you to shield self-reflection and shrug uncomfortable facts. Perhaps the strongest drug sold on this planet.

College Dropout

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
139%
Nov 22, 2017
Winston-Salem, NC
Well if you’re going to be an amoral douche then I hope you fail.

I’m not screwing anyone over, and the more successful people I’ve met didn’t have to either.
Every single amoral douche I know is doing phenomenally well right now but I think it's just the times we're in.
I just want to add because this is basically where all the blue-haired folks come from just they are on a quicker circuit (skip the trying that at least this guy did):

To CollegeDropout:

This, even though it may feel matrix-breaking/illusion-shattering and just so meta that it rises above all the "traps" of wantrapreneurship, is just a scape-goat cop out type mental maneuver. Everything goes back to ego.

You had to suppress ego to make money -> put yourself in uncomfortable situations

You then felt/painted yourself abused -> ego stirred back up

You fought your ego back -> tried new things/businesses

Those failed/you gave up to early, either way didn't work out -> Choice of accepting you either sucked at it, or are not special and this wasn't your lucky draw (hit to your ego again) OR "it is impossible and all exchanges of values are inherently abuse and evil".
One of those allows you to shield self-reflection and shrug uncomfortable facts. Perhaps the strongest drug sold on this planet.
That is a phenomenal insight. I've tried to accept the "I just suck" thing and mold it into some sort of Buddhist/Hippie philosophy...

"Looks like I'm not special. I'm actually well below average in nearly every regard. But, I can at least focus on enjoying what I have... A/C, Food, a few decent friends, I live in America, I live in 2024 where there's Netflix and Instagram and if I just place all my energy into being the best blue collar nobody I can be... maybe I can actually enjoy it or at least tolerate it."

Kinda like putting sprinkles on a dog turd and calling it ice cream.

I digress... Are you saying that I should try and remove my ego from the equation?

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
Every single amoral douche I know is doing phenomenally well right now but I think it's just the times we're in.
How? Did you see their tax return?

"Looks like I'm not special. I'm actually well below average in nearly every regard. But, I can at least focus on enjoying what I have... A/C, Food, a few decent friends, I live in America, I live in 2024 where there's Netflix and Instagram and if I just place all my energy into being the best blue collar nobody I can be... maybe I can actually enjoy it or at least tolerate it."

You are underestimating how hard it is to be a first generation wealthy.

I estimated to be far far less than 0.1 percent of the population.

If you focus and grind in the trade as a business owner that will shoot you to be the top 1-2 percent minimum.

You are not “below average” for not hitting the jackpot of business and life.

I was talking to my friend who worked as a com sci PHD researcher. 2014-2018 was the period when Singapore NUS com sci graduate default path was to work in a start-up on Bay area on work visa. If they fail they come back to Sg to work in a routine corporate job. Singapore market is too small for bigger Tech business. The failure rate is like close to 100 percent, based on his memory as most came back from Bay Area after the start-up failed.

Last edited:

Bounce Back

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Dec 30, 2023
Florida

That is a phenomenal insight. I've tried to accept the "I just suck" thing and mold it into some sort of Buddhist/Hippie philosophy...

I digress... Are you saying that I should try and remove my ego from the equation?
Ego isn't really an understanding owned by Buddhist/hippies but if you want to chalk it up to something easily dismissible you can continue that trend - its your life/call.

I'm not saying remove it but acknowledge how its pushing/pulling you. We all face these same thoughts repeatedly in this line of vocation. Sometimes sharing a different angle can help snap someone out of it but they have to want to be snapped out of it for it to amount to any progress.

To be honest if you removed it completely you probably wouldn't even care about money and if I did so I wouldn't be writing to you on an entrepreneurship forum. I'm just a random dude on the internet though - not trying to guide you to one thing or the other - I put words on a screen and how you internalize them and connect dots is ultimately up to you.

My most likely last comment in this thread is that being driven by guilt/shame only gets you to places where those pressures are relieved and no further. That path is also pretty filled with a lot of judgement of others as you deflect it off yourself.

College Dropout

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
139%
Nov 22, 2017
Winston-Salem, NC
How? Did you see their tax return?

You are underestimating how hard it is to be a first generation wealthy.

I estimated to be far far less than 0.1 percent of the population.

If you focus and grind in the trade as a business owner that will shoot you to be the top 1-2 percent minimum.

You are not “below average” for not hitting the jackpot of business and life.

I was talking to my friend who worked as a com sci PHD researcher. 2014-2018 was the period when Singapore NUS com sci graduate default path was to work in a start-up on Bay area on work visa. If they fail they come back to Sg to work in a routine corporate job. Singapore market is too small for bigger Tech business. The failure rate is like close to 100 percent because if someone made it big everyone would know.

That makes me feel better. Not the PDH researcher part... that's extremely depressing.

I hope the electrician thing pans out. I just made my 5th visit to the only other electrical contractor in town to find out that once again, everyone is gone on jobs. I'm about to just wake up at 4 AM and just wait in the parking lot until someone shows up to open.

I guess I'll just have to deal with a decade of people thinking I suck and never being able to get laid lol

Red

Nigerian Lottery Prince
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
Feb 23, 2010
Phoenix
Honestly, I'm convinced almost anyone in this country who is doing well and is not an employee is probably ripping someone off on some level. It's been like that since we

This. This is why you are hitting roadblocks & will continue to do so until this belief is changed.

Reiteration of above.

You know how people talk about their dating lives and how all their relationships fail or have common characteristics that are unwelcome?

The common denominator is you.

The saboteur is these very subconscious (actually, quite conscious,as you've typed them out here) beliefs that, if kept in place, will never allow you success.

You won't violate your own personal code & right now that code mandates that success people are con artists & shitty human beings. Until that changes, your situation never will.

College Dropout

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
139%
Nov 22, 2017
Winston-Salem, NC
This. This is why you are hitting roadblocks & will continue to do so until this belief is changed.

Reiteration of above.

You know how people talk about their dating lives and how all their relationships fail or have common characteristics that are unwelcome?

The common denominator is you.

The saboteur is these very subconscious (actually, quite conscious,as you've typed them out here) beliefs that, if kept in place, will never allow you success.

You won't violate your own personal code & right now that code mandates that success people are con artists & shitty human beings. Until that changes, your situation never will.
Yes, I have a ton of self limiting beliefs I need to address. If perspective shapes our world, I can make mine better and clear out a path to success by shaping my perspective. But it's certainly easier said than done. It feels a whole lot like gaslighting yourself while attempting to ignore reality.

Red

Nigerian Lottery Prince
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
Feb 23, 2010
Phoenix
Yes, I have a ton of self limiting beliefs I need to address. If perspective shapes our world, I can make mine better and clear out a path to success by shaping my perspective. But it's certainly easier said than done. It feels a whole lot like gaslighting yourself while attempting to ignore reality.

I'm curious, how do you feel that MJ screwed people to earn his success?

Because I see FAR more examples of people who have benefitted the masses earning WAY more money than the con artists. I would list them for you, but you would just go down the list and choose to see how you feel they've screwed people. My input doesn't matter here.

It would be a great start to hear your list of people who have benefited mankind and reaped the financial rewards. Care to start that list for us?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
449%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
On some level... someone is getting shafted.

"How do I absolutely screw over strangers in a manner where they leave so utterly confused they thank me for it?"

These two statements indicate that I would be the one getting shafted if I spent my precious time trying to help you.

Nope.

Your issues have nothing to do with Fastlane/Slowlane.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
449%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

And he finds no irony in that he is voicing his opinion, including the marginalization of my own work, FREELY on my forum that I pay for. Reminds me of the angry anti-capitalist who rants his protests from their new iPhone in a Starbucks while wearing a $300 pair of Birkenstocks.

College Dropout

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
139%
Nov 22, 2017
Winston-Salem, NC

Because I see FAR more examples of people who have benefitted the masses earning WAY more money than the con artists. I would list them for you, but you would just go down the list and choose to see how you feel they've screwed people. My input doesn't matter here.

It would be a great start to hear your list of people who have benefited mankind and reaped the financial rewards. Care to start that list for us?

It would be a great start to hear your list of people who have benefited mankind and reaped the financial rewards. Care

I'm not willing to die on this hill. What do you suggest I do to move forward?

I want to keep wiring houses... and when I'm off work I'd like to see if I can build something cool on my phone.

It would be a great start to hear your list of people who have benefited mankind and reaped the financial rewards. Care to start that list

It would be a great start to hear your list of people who have benefited mankind and reaped the financial rewards. Care to start that list for us

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
449%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I want to keep wiring houses

I said I wouldn't help, but this skill is far more valuable than you think, but its value is NOT in the hourly rate you make wiring houses.

College Dropout

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
139%
Nov 22, 2017
Winston-Salem, NC
And he finds no irony in that he is voicing his opinion, including the marginalization of my own work, FREELY on my forum that I pay for. Reminds me of the angry anti-capitalist who rants his protests from their new iPhone in a Starbucks while wearing a $300 pair of Birkenstocks.
The irony isn't lost on me.
I said I wouldn't help, but this skill is far more valuable than you think, but its value is NOT in the hourly rate you make wiring houses.
Hey MJ... Okay. I'm not willing to die on the hill I've been standing on all morning. I'm willing to accept that I'm wrong. Something about knowing you just read me shitting on your accomplishments hit me like a brick. I'm not sure what the hell got me to that point. I spent years of my life aspiring to be like you... went WAY WAY off course when it didnt work like i thought it should... and now I'm mad. But it's not your fault. I shouldn't be venting and arguing like this on your forum. I apologize and I appreciate your feedback.

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
330%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
I'm not convinced this fastlane slow lane stuff is real either. MJ built a lead gen company back when the internet was basically just AOL and there was no competition and then immediately pivoted into selling digital products (and books) for wantrepreneurs... which appears to be where his eal money comes from. "F*cking" might be a strong word but I guarantee you he didn't put his lead gen biz through 11 graphs and flow charts to see if it would work. He'd never have gotten off the ground. At least... that was my experience at 18 trying to make it work. It's just endless strategizing and mind maps. A guy could spend a year drawing shit on a whiteboard and never get anywhere... at which point he will come back for more products/courses $$$
Who says you have to be convinced this “fastlane stuff” works? This is not a cult — and unlike most other places on the internet you can be here and have opinions that go against what MJ and even a majority of members think on topics, and as long as you are polite, civilized and not taking advantage of people you will be left alone, ie you won’t be banned.

I have personally disagreed with MJ multiple times, publically, in the forum, and lo and behold I’m still around. Having been in many online communities though, I have to say that this is the ONLY ONE where the founder & owner of the community would be willing to extend anyone such rights.

So before badmouthing MJ have a look at how he runs the community. How involved he is with new members. He answers every post. And have a look at what happens when people disagree with him. Yes, he is tough, but based on everything I’ve seen he’s also fair and an adult.

This thread started out well, but it seems to be descending into mud slinging and it’s a shame. You’re not going to get any real help this way.

I believe he makes the majority of his money through book sales and partnerships with the gurus on here and probably elsewhere.
Who cares how MJ made his money? This is one of those points where I actually disagree with most people on this forum. I don’t care if you made all your money selling get-rich-quick scams or whatever — all I care about is if the lessons you share are useful. The lessons MJ shares in his books are groundbreaking for learning what makes a business profitable.

Because I'm probably barking up the wrong tree. Instead of asking myself "how do I create something awesome that people can't go without" I should start asking myself "How do I absolutely screw over strangers in a manner where they leave so utterly confused they thank me for it?"
There is a long debate about this, but I probably agree with you to a certain extent. I do believe that the richest people are also usually the most unethical. Because it’s a simple equation… being unethical is a high risk, high reward strategy, so those who reach the biggest levels of wealth, statistically speaking, are likely to be those who took the bigger risks.

There was a super long debate about this between myself and @Kak : MINDSET - Business Ethics- Kak vs Dragon

Having said that, I don’t believe that being PURELY unethical works. There are times when you have to be willing to make ethical sacrifices, at the same time, being unethical is inherently dangerous. You should never be unethical for the sake of it. I am in favor of pragmatic leadership — you need to be willing to sometimes be unethical. Sometimes turn a blind eye, sometimes arrange things in your favor without regard for others, and so on. I did a lot of those things while building my business.

But at the same time your partners, your employees, and even your clients do need to trust you. They cannot trust you if you never take care of them and screw them over. So even when unethical towards some, you have to be ethical towards others.

Same for your product… yeah you can sell a sucky product. I’ve sold sucky products before. But if your mindset is simply “I will screw these people over” then you will fail. If on the other hand your mindset is “I need money to be able to build something great”, then you may succeed, because you are aware that in the long run your aim isn’t to sell a sucky product, but to MAKE THE PRODUCT GREAT.

Most new businesses start out with sucky products and to some extent tricking/taking advantage of consumers. I bought many products from new businesses like that. The difference in whether I stick with it or not is usually in the intent of the seller. If the seller is super involved and making efforts to fix what’s not working, usually I stick with it, because I understand the business is new and I see the potential. At the same time if the seller is happy he got my money and doesn’t do anything, then I just leave.

Last edited:

Red

Nigerian Lottery Prince
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
Feb 23, 2010
Phoenix
What do you suggest I do to move forward?

I'm so glad you asked, haha.

What you need to do moving forward has nothing to do with what you do with yourself to earn income. So keep doing the wiring because you have bills to pay. That's a great skill set you've acquired & it will serve you well in the future. (I'm in the housing/construction industry here in Phoenix, I understand the need better than most).

Moving forward, every single day, take 15 minutes to look for examples of how entrepreneurs have made their money improving the lives of others. That's it. Bonus points if you come back & update this thread daily with applicable findings.

I understand you feel that this is hard with your current mindsets & that makes sense (this is all we're inundated with from media, peers, etc). So I'll start you off with a few examples from the small pool of this forum:

@biophase has a company that earns millions annually & donates to animal shelters. He donates ONE FOR ONE on items that are purchased by the consumer. So every time the average Joe buys a dog collar from his company, he DONATES a dog collar to a rescue or shelter. If you've researched the forum, you know he's acquired multiple multi-million dollar properties & is planning on building another.

@MJ DeMarco himself found a way to organize consumers needs for rental vehicles & get those needs to the companies that could fulfil the need in a streamlined manner. The customers found providers in a timely manner in a time before the term "lead generation" even existed. A literal win/win for everyone.

This forum is full of people who have created businesses that benefit the human race but we can't change your mind. YOU have to seek out the examples of this yourself. YOU have to choose to see the reality of their situations & businesses, not the brainwashing you've been spoon fed these past 2 decades.

I mean, you don't have to do anything.... But the cycles of frustration you've experienced will just perpetuate through the rest of your life. That's super easy to predict.

Having overcome my own limiting beliefs in MANY other areas of my life, I wish you luck. It's not easy at the beginning, but it definitely works.

MakeItHappen

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
194%
Apr 12, 2012
I want to keep wiring houses... and when I'm off work I'd like to see if I can build something cool on my phone.
Have you had any real-life role models/mentors?

You could contact all the electricians who are successful business owners. Tell them your inspiration, ask for guidance, and implement their recommendations. Not everyone will say yes but finding a mentor is a "sales job". You will hear the word no more often than yes but it takes only one great mentor to make a real difference.

Most electricians are probably older folks who look to retire in the next 5-10 years. You could buy ar profitable business down the line (it doesn't necessarily take all that much money of your own with loans and seller-financing in place).

If you would simply commit to this one path that you are already on you could become very successful down the line.

Also, there are salespeople that are making six figures, living frugally while investing most of the earnings and retire within 10-15 years... So even sales as "just" a job can lead to financial independence.

There are so many clearly defined ways to financial success. You don't have to reinvent the wheel by creating something new online.

You might be in a better situation than you anticipate.

College Dropout

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
139%
Nov 22, 2017
Winston-Salem, NC
I'm so glad you asked, haha.

What you need to do moving forward has nothing to do with what you do with yourself to earn income. So keep doing the wiring because you have bills to pay. That's a great skill set you've acquired & it will serve you well in the future. (I'm in the housing/construction industry here in Phoenix, I understand the need better than most).

Moving forward, every single day, take 15 minutes to look for examples of how entrepreneurs have made their money improving the lives of others. That's it. Bonus points if you come back & update this thread daily with applicable findings.

I understand you feel that this is hard with your current mindsets & that makes sense (this is all we're inundated with from media, peers, etc). So I'll start you off with a few examples from the small pool of this forum:

@biophase has a company that earns millions annually & donates to animal shelters. He donates ONE FOR ONE on items that are purchased by the consumer. So every time the average Joe buys a dog collar from his company, he DONATES a dog collar to a rescue or shelter. If you've researched the forum, you know he's acquired multiple multi-million dollar properties & is planning on building another.

@MJ DeMarco himself found a way to organize consumers needs for rental vehicles & get those needs to the companies that could fulfil the need in a streamlined manner. The customers found providers in a timely manner in a time before the term "lead generation" even existed. A literal win/win for everyone.

This forum is full of people who have created businesses that benefit the human race but we can't change your mind. YOU have to seek out the examples of this yourself. YOU have to choose to see the reality of their situations & businesses, not the brainwashing you've been spoon fed these past 2 decades.

I mean, you don't have to do anything.... But the cycles of frustration you've experienced will just perpetuate through the rest of your life. That's super easy to predict.

Having overcome my own limiting beliefs in MANY other areas of my life, I wish you luck. It's not easy at the beginning, but it definitely works.

I'm not arguing when I say this. I'm attempting to understand.

I'm not sure what looking at examples of businesses benefitting people will do for me. I understand that businesses must provide something of value. I understand that it's not just people exclusively screwing over other people and for transactions to occur someone at some point has to go "ooo I want that" or the business wouldn't exist.

I also understand the idea that you should aim to deliver massive value and the money will follow.

I understand the whole dang Unscripted book. I've read it. I've annotated it. I grew up with it.

But I find the direction the book pushes me in to be frustrating... I'm supposed to somehow analyze the market, engineer an idea, put it through 8 diagrams and charts, test it for 6 years, reiterate it, secure funding, analyze the market some more, more charts, and then I get to see if it makes any money. (I'm obviously hyperbolizing but this is what it feels like.)

I'm not Zuckerberg. I'm not trying to start a fortune 500 company or invent the next snuggie.

I'm nowhere near smart/lucky enough.

I made a little money online. That company was up and running in 60 days. I'd like to figure out how to do it again in an ethical manner. But browsing businesses doing positive things for the world seems like a step backwards... Shouldn't I be trying to leverage what I already can do to make more money?

I just know you're going to pick this response apart but I'm here for it haha

"No barriers to entry..."

Last edited:

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
550%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
25 - NOW -

As someone who recently turned 40, I can only chuckle when I see 20 somethings talk about giving up and wasting time.

I didn't even really start this until I was almost 30. I spent over 10 years trying and failing to get to this point. I've had to take a step back to re-coup but I plan to get back in it shortly, from scratch, again.

You're 25 with 9 years of failures behind you? Shit.... I'd love to be in your shoes!

College Dropout

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
139%
Nov 22, 2017
Winston-Salem, NC
As someone who recently turned 40, I can only chuckle when I see 20 somethings talk about giving up and wasting time.

I didn't even really start this until I was almost 30. I spent over 10 years trying and failing to get to this point. I've had to take a step back to re-coup but I plan to get back in it shortly, from scratch, again.

You're 25 with 9 years of failures behind you? Shit.... I'd love to be in your shoes!
That's a great perspective. I guess I just feel a little emotionally beat up by the whole deal.

College Dropout

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
139%
Nov 22, 2017
Winston-Salem, NC
Have you had any real-life role models/mentors?

You could contact all the electricians who are successful business owners. Tell them your inspiration, ask for guidance, and implement their recommendations. Not everyone will say yes but finding a mentor is a "sales job". You will hear the word no more often than yes but it takes only one great mentor to make a real difference.

Most electricians are probably older folks who look to retire in the next 5-10 years. You could buy ar profitable business down the line (it doesn't necessarily take all that much money of your own with loans and seller-financing in place).

If you would simply commit to this one path that you are already on you could become very successful down the line.

Also, there are salespeople that are making six figures, living frugally while investing most of the earnings and retire within 10-15 years... So even sales as "just" a job can lead to financial independence.

There are so many clearly defined ways to financial success. You don't have to reinvent the wheel by creating something new online.

You might be in a better situation than you anticipate.
I'm addicted to the feeling of creating something and then watching it grow and make money. It's like solving a rubix cube.

Living out of my car, building my business out of a Starbucks was the happiest I've ever been.

I could have easily gotten an apartment but it didn't matter to me. I had my phone, my staff, and my coffee... that's all I needed.

I suppose that's why I'm here. I just turned it into something negative because I'm pissed at my place in the world.

Reaching out to mentors is a great idea! I'll give that a shot.

Last edited:

Red

Nigerian Lottery Prince
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
Feb 23, 2010
Phoenix
I'm not sure what looking at examples of businesses benefitting people will do for me.

I appreciate you asking clarifying questions about all of this. I'll do my best to explain the angle I'm coming from...

Our mindsets rule our lives. We live our lives playing out the truths, morals & understandings that we hold to be true, whether they are known "mindsets" or more insidious covert, subconscious beliefs. What they are or their relation to "reality" has no matter, if we believe it, it's true for us.

What do I mean by this?

Have you ever known a woman who likes to begrudgingly complain that "There are no good men! All men are dogs!".... What does she continuously encounter & attract? Shitty men. Define shitty however you want: unfaithful, abusive, unreliable, whatever, it doesn't matter. She only encounters poor quality men because that's the only thing that she believes exists. She becomes her own self-fulfilling prophecy & no one can help her until she detaches her reality from that erroneous & detrimental belief. She would not recognize a good man if you placed one in front of her.

The same can be said for men who only see "gold diggers" .... there is no convincing them that there are quality women out there. They will only see & interpret every action or word through their tainted lens of "all women are users & not to be trusted" ..... the end result is a very lonely man who doesn't understand why he can't find a partner. It has nothing to do with the reality of the availability of good women, but everything to do with his deeply held truth that there are no good women.

You have stated in quite a few ways that you believe the only path to the life you want (entrepreneurial independence & freedom or wealth) is to screw people over or behave in other unscrupulous ways. You have stated this repeatedly in this thread before we began discussing it directly.

Since you walked out on the RE investor who was trying to screw over Grandman, I can only surmise that you have a strict moral code of ethics that money will not entice you to cross. This is great, I love this & wish more people operated this way.

So how does this impact your current situation?

You believe that the only way to achieve wealth is to screw over people for personal gain.

You won't screw over people for personal gain due to your intrinsic moral compass.

Ergo, you will never achieve wealth with your current mindsets.

Those of us who have different mindsets understand that the only true way to achieve what you want is to benefit as many people as possible by solving their problems or pain points that hold them back. Providing solutions to the problems of the highest number of people is what gets you to where you want to be. But if you can't see it that way, you won't even see the opportunities before you because at a deeper level, you don't believe they exist.

You will always sabotage yourself & your endeavors because you are trying to hold two diametrically oppositional beliefs at the same time (I want to create wealth & I want to be a good person). They can't co-exist within you currently.

So you choosing to find examples of ethical & helpful companies is THE ONLY THING that will get you out of your defeating loop of erroneous beliefs. You need to find examples of companies that benefit the customer for yourself.

Nothing will change for you until you address the underlying software that you're running on your operating system. It's just that simple. THAT is how my suggestions will benefit you.

And if you don't believe me, just do it for a week to spite me. One week of legitimate effort. Legitimate.

And if it doesn't start shifting some things, then come back here & tell me that you told me so.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
573%
Apr 17, 2022
Have you ever - any point during this journey - considered doing anything that is even remotely useful for society?

All I see is chasing money and complaining.

You also seem to be way too F*cking interested in what OTHER people are doing. Why does it matter how much money your boss is making? How is this affecting your life? Do you plan on marrying him?

Entrepreneurship doesn't mean dancing in front of a Lamborghini.

It means starting and running a company. Preferably, a big one.

Most would agree that this is F*ckING HARD, as it requires above-average levels of intelligence, mastery over certain mental skills (discipline, motivation, focus, organizational skills, etc.), and many years of hard work, commitment, and devotion.

Based on everything you've written in this thread, you're not interested in any of this shit.

You just want to get to the money - as fast as possible, and as easy as possible.

That's why you "failed" for 9 years, and will keep "failing" indefinitely.

And the fact that you have no issues stepping over into the morally gray area to reach your goals because "all successful people are immoral" is the final nail in the coffin.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
I'm pissed at my place in the world.

Good, What are you going to do about it?

You have a lot of excuses for a 25 year old.

30% of the nation would trade places with you in a moments notice and you are here..... self loathing.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
449%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
But I find the direction the book pushes me in to be frustrating... I'm supposed to somehow analyze the market, engineer an idea, put it through 8 diagrams and charts, test it for 6 years, reiterate it, secure funding, analyze the market some more, more charts, and then I get to see if it makes any money. (I'm obviously hyperbolizing but this is what it feels like.)

LOL, I have no idea what book you've read, you certainly haven't read mine, and if you want to claim you've had, you didn't comprehend a thing in it.

Create relative value.
Communicate and sell that value.
Repeat X 1000000.

No diagrams required. No funding required. No charts. No "six years".

At this point, you appear to be an expert in mental gymnastics to justify your lack of progress.

College Dropout

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
139%
Nov 22, 2017
Winston-Salem, NC
You will always sabotage yourself & your endeavors because you are trying to hold two diametrically oppositional beliefs at the same time (I want to create wealth & I want to be a good person). They can't co-exist within you currently.
This is absolute gold. Thank you. I'm willing to give it a shot. I think a week, as you mentioned, would be a good first step.

Red

Nigerian Lottery Prince
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
Feb 23, 2010
Phoenix
This is absolute gold. Thank you. I'm willing to give it a shot. I think a week, as you mentioned, would be a good first step.
Glad to hear it. I wanted to say 30 days minimum to start, but I didn't figure you would go for it, haha.

I honestly feel like a minimum effort of 30 days is what is needed to attempt to enact change in ANY aspect of life. But you are correct, a week is a good first step. Please keep us posted on what you find.

College Dropout

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
139%
Nov 22, 2017
Winston-Salem, NC
LOL, I have no idea what book you've read, you certainly haven't read mine, and if you want to claim you've had, you didn't comprehend a thing in it.

Create relative value.
Communicate and sell that value.
Repeat X 1000000.

No diagrams required. No funding required. No charts. No "six years".

At this point, you appear to be an expert in mental gymnastics to justify your lack of progress.
I created a sort of straw man argument for the sake of example. I'm aware that you don't mention securing funding or anything of that sort. I was hyperbolizing in an attempt to illustrate my point. Thank you for boiling it down for me.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.