What's new

I've made almost every mistake, but I'm battle-scarred and ready to succeed.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 38,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Forum membership removes this block and all non-sponsor ads.

og_mattyd

New Contributor
Hey Everyone,

My name is Matt. I'm 27. I'm on page 283 of The Millionaire Fastlane.

My God, what a great book. This is the third time I've tried to read it and I'm finally making it. Unfortunately, I have made many, many of the mistakes MJ writes about. The silver lining to that is I can see how clear and true the principles he lays out in the book are.

A little about me and why I care about financial freedom; I grew up with a good but workaholic mom, a nice but emotionally absent father and a younger brother with a pretty severe mental illness. It was the emotional focal point of the family for nearly a decade of our childhood. Needless to say, things weren't always great in our household. We lived in a middle to upper-middle-class area, but behind the 'American Dream' home, family life was often cold, lonely or violent. I'm not saying it was the worst. There are plenty of people who have been through much more and I deeply respect that. But what going through that did was give me a strong sense that life was not always what it seesms to be. Everyone around me seemed to be in some kind of spell where they ignored a major part of reality to their own detriment and for those around them.

This was exemplified for me by my dad. He was stuck bouncing from sales job to sales job (which he was neither good at nor fond of). He would often carelessly huff out a "works sucks, I hate it." when asked about his day at the dinner table. This happened more often than not for several years. My father's words made me intuit at a deep level that I need to do what I loved or be doomed to a "life of quiet desperation.".

In addition to seeing my family struggle with the school and medical systems due to my brother's mental illness, these moments witnessed over and over made me want to live an extraordinary life, or at the very least escape traps I was seeing all around me in the "American Dream".

This attitude, ever since I left for college when I was 18, has led to a lot... A lot of good, a lot of bad, a lot of doubt, a lot of joy, and a lot of other things. I have had some amazing memories, and some horrible, agonizing defeats. But over the past couple years I have made strides in cleaning up my bad habits and have finally gotten a solid job that affords me ample time and decent money to focus on, and prepare the ground to launch my fastlane vehicle.

I'm still in the process of distilling my ideas in order to find the one that deserves my optimal commitment. But I'm zeroing in on it and I can now appreciate at my age, with a treasure trove of experience, how to execute. I know nothing is guaranteed but I am confident that I will be able to put my shoulder to the wheel and make my vehicle go once I discern on it.

One of my dreams has always been to be an author. Ever since I read Ken Follet's "Pillars of the Earth" when I was 12 I wanted to reproduce that magical feeling reading I got for other people. I sensed the magic in the craft of a great novel, the majesty of weaving a tapestry with words. Over the past nine years, I have given it a solid go. No doubt in some half-a$$ and flawed ways at times. At other times simply naively or with inadequate resources. Now I see I had fallen deeply into the trap of 'Love v. Passion". I did always intuit that problem as I walked through my own process of learning to write, and especially seeing those in the industry who had to balance the nasty tension of artistry and profit. Now I see it's a trap I've been stuck in for some time. However, no more, I'm climbing out.

So, one of my passions is to earn the lifestyle where I can write the novels (and screenplays) without being hooked to *needing* to sell them.

Another is to never, absolutely never, tell my kids I hate my work at the dinner table. Instead, I'll give them the infectious ability to be highly capable of pursuing their own dreams, and teach them to do that for others. That, I promise. That, I am fundamentally committed to.

As alluded to in the title, I'm battle-scarred. I've made a lot of mistakes. I've failed. I've been foolish. Sometimes very foolish. But I've also succeeded. I've got a gold mine of hints and nudges in the right direction. I know the joy and vigor that comes from bringing the spark of a dream that works into reality. I'm so looking forward to fanning that flame here with you all. And in doing so spread it with responsibility and efficacy to help those in need. So here's to meeting you good folks and making dreams a reality.

My best & cheers,
Matt

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs achieve reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circl, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today
Jiz Iwiszupi,

Nz peni ot Nevv. O'n 27. O'n up qehi 283 ug Vji Nommoupeosi Getvmepi.

Nz Huf, xjev e hsiev cuul. Vjot ot vji vjosf voni O'wi vsoif vu sief ov epf O'n gopemmz neloph ov. Apgusvapevimz, O jewi nefi nepz, nepz ug vji notvelit NK xsovit ecuav. Vji tomwis mopoph vu vjev ot O dep tii jux dmies epf vsai vji qsopdoqmit ji mezt uav op vji cuul esi.

E movvmi ecuav ni epf xjz O desi ecuav gopepdoem gsiifun; O hsix aq xovj e huuf cav xuslejumod nun, e podi cav inuvoupemmz ectipv gevjis epf e zuaphis csuvjis xovj e qsivvz tiwisi nipvem ommpitt. Ov xet vji inuvoupem gudem quopv ug vji genomz gus piesmz e fidefi ug uas djomfjuuf. Piifmitt vu tez, vjopht xisip'v emxezt hsiev op uas juatijumf. Xi mowif op e noffmi vu aqqis-noffmi-dmett esie, cav cijopf vji 'Enisodep Fsien' juni, genomz mogi xet ugvip dumf, mupimz us woumipv. O'n puv tezoph ov xet vji xustv. Vjisi esi qmipvz ug qiuqmi xju jewi ciip vjsuahj nadj nusi epf O fiiqmz sitqidv vjev. Cav xjev huoph vjsuahj vjev fof xet howi ni e tvsuph tipti vjev mogi xet puv emxezt xjev ov tiitnt vu ci. Iwiszupi esuapf ni tiinif vu ci op tuni lopf ug tqimm xjisi vjiz ohpusif e nekus qesv ug siemovz vu vjios uxp fivsonipv epf gus vjuti esuapf vjin.

Vjot xet iyinqmogoif gus ni cz nz fef. Ji xet tvadl cuapdoph gsun temit kuc vu temit kuc (xjodj ji xet piovjis huuf ev pus gupf ug). Ji xuamf ugvip desimittmz jagg uav e "xuslt tadlt, O jevi ov." xjip etlif ecuav jot fez ev vji foppis vecmi. Vjot jeqqipif nusi ugvip vjep puv gus tiwisem ziest. Nz gevjis't xusft nefi ni opvaov ev e fiiq miwim vjev O piif vu fu xjev O muwif us ci fuunif vu e "mogi ug raoiv fitqisevoup.".

Op effovoup vu tiioph nz genomz tvsahhmi xovj vji tdjuum epf nifodem tztvint fai vu nz csuvjis't nipvem ommpitt, vjiti nunipvt xovpittif uwis epf uwis nefi ni xepv vu mowi ep iyvseusfopesz mogi, us ev vji wisz mietv itdeqi vseqt O xet tiioph emm esuapf ni op vji "Enisodep Fsien".

Vjot evvovafi, iwis topdi O migv gus dummihi xjip O xet 18, jet mif vu e muv... E muv ug huuf, e muv ug cef, e muv ug fuacv, e muv ug kuz, epf e muv ug uvjis vjopht. O jewi jef tuni eneboph ninusoit, epf tuni jussocmi, ehupoboph figievt. Cav uwis vji qetv duaqmi ziest O jewi nefi tvsofit op dmiepoph aq nz cef jecovt epf jewi gopemmz huvvip e tumof kuc vjev eggusft ni enqmi voni epf fidipv nupiz vu gudat up, epf qsiqesi vji hsuapf vu meapdj nz getvmepi wijodmi.

O'n tvomm op vji qsuditt ug fotvommoph nz ofiet op usfis vu gopf vji upi vjev fitiswit nz uqvonem dunnovnipv. Cav O'n bisuoph op up ov epf O dep pux eqqsidoevi ev nz ehi, xovj e vsietasi vsuwi ug iyqisoipdi, jux vu iyidavi. O lpux puvjoph ot haesepviif cav O en dupgofipv vjev O xomm ci ecmi vu qav nz tjuamfis vu vji xjiim epf neli nz wijodmi hu updi O fotdisp up ov.

Upi ug nz fsient jet emxezt ciip vu ci ep eavjus. Iwis topdi O sief Lip Gummiv't "Qommest ug vji Iesvj" xjip O xet 12 O xepvif vu siqsufadi vjev nehodem giimoph siefoph O huv gus uvjis qiuqmi. O tiptif vji nehod op vji dsegv ug e hsiev puwim, vji nekitvz ug xiewoph e veqitvsz xovj xusft. Uwis vji qetv popi ziest, O jewi howip ov e tumof hu. Pu fuacv op tuni jemg-e$$ epf gmexif xezt ev vonit. Ev uvjis vonit tonqmz peowimz us xovj opefiraevi situasdit. Pux O tii O jef gemmip fiiqmz opvu vji vseq ug 'Muwi w. Qettoup". O fof emxezt opvaov vjev qsucmin et O xemlif vjsuahj nz uxp qsuditt ug miespoph vu xsovi, epf itqidoemmz tiioph vjuti op vji opfatvsz xju jef vu cemepdi vji petvz viptoup ug esvotvsz epf qsugov. Pux O tii ov't e vseq O'wi ciip tvadl op gus tuni voni. Juxiwis, pu nusi, O'n dmoncoph uav.

Tu, upi ug nz qettoupt ot vu iesp vji mogitvzmi xjisi O dep xsovi vji puwimt (epf tdsiipqmezt) xovjuav cioph juulif vu *piifoph* vu timm vjin.

Epuvjis ot vu piwis, ectumavimz piwis, vimm nz loft O jevi nz xusl ev vji foppis vecmi. Optvief, O'mm howi vjin vji opgidvouat ecomovz vu ci johjmz deqecmi ug qastaoph vjios uxp fsient, epf viedj vjin vu fu vjev gus uvjist. Vjev, O qsunoti. Vjev, O en gapfenipvemmz dunnovvif vu.

Et emmafif vu op vji vovmi, O'n cevvmi-tdessif. O'wi nefi e muv ug notvelit. O'wi geomif. O'wi ciip guumotj. Tunivonit wisz guumotj. Cav O'wi emtu taddiifif. O'wi huv e humf nopi ug jopvt epf pafhit op vji sohjv fosidvoup. O lpux vji kuz epf wohus vjev dunit gsun csophoph vji tqesl ug e fsien vjev xuslt opvu siemovz. O'n tu muuloph gusxesf vu geppoph vjev gmeni jisi xovj zua emm. Epf op fuoph tu tqsief ov xovj sitquptocomovz epf iggodedz vu jimq vjuti op piif. Tu jisi't vu niivoph zua huuf gumlt epf neloph fsient e siemovz.

Nz citv & djiist,
Nevv
Jimmu Nevv,
Vjev xet e cieavogam sief- O dep emsiefz tii zuas vemipv, xjev e tlomm vu jewi! Mogi ot tu covvistxiiv, otp'v ov? Genomoit esi dunqmiy. O'n gsun e fztgapdvoupem genomz epf O dep simevi vu e muv ug xjev zua'wi teof. Cav O muwi nz qesipvt fiesmz, sihesfmitt ug nz iyqisoipdit. Vjiz veahjv ni vjsuahj vjiti suahj iyqisoipdit, jux puv vu mowi, og vjev nelit tipti? Jux xi mowi ot e djuodi xi neli. Xi fup'v iwis jewi vu dupvopai vji dzdmi ug xjev xi jewi tiip epf miespif. Fu zua vjopl zuas fef't apjeqqopitt ot qesv ug xjz zua esi xju zua esi, epf xjz zua xepv vu fu civvis? Xovjuav vjiti iyqisoipdit, xju xuamf xi ci? Xuamf zua ci et sitomoipv? O fup'v vjopl O xuamf. Cevvmi tdest epf geomasit esi qesv ug vji miespoph qsuditt.

O'n getdopevif cz jux e muv ug siemmz dseqqz cuult tvomm nepehi vu neli ov e citvtimmis, tunivonit iwip edjoiwoph exesft. Op nz nopf O jewi dupdmafif vxu quttocmi sietupt- 1. Vji eavjus ot puv timmoph e cuul, vjiz esi timmoph vjintimwit. 2- vjiz esi gommoph e wuof op vji siefis't mogi (oi, howoph vjin xjev vjiz xepv vu jies/ xjev vjiz vjopl vjiz piif vu miesp/ep itdeqi gsun siemovz). Amvonevimz, vji siefist ot vjoploph "xjev't op ov gus ni?". Tvomm, xi jewi e muv vu miesp gsun vjin- op visnt ug catopitt, vjiz lpux xjev vjiz esi fuoph.

Tunivonit zua tvancmi edsutt e hsiev sief; op zuas deti, Qommest ug vji Iesvj, epf vji giimoph zua jef vjip piwis miewit zua. Esvotvod vemipv epf catopitt vemipv ot vji citv duncopevoup. Zua'wi huv vjot! Miv ni lpux xjip vji cuul't uav.

Jimmu Nevv,
Vjev xet e cieavogam sief- O dep emsiefz tii zuas vemipv, xjev e tlomm vu jewi! Mogi ot tu covvistxiiv, otp'v ov? Genomoit esi dunqmiy. O'n gsun e fztgapdvoupem genomz epf O dep simevi vu e muv ug xjev zua'wi teof. Cav O muwi nz qesipvt fiesmz, sihesfmitt ug nz iyqisoipdit. Vjiz veahjv ni vjsuahj vjiti suahj iyqisoipdit, jux puv vu mowi, og vjev nelit tipti? Jux xi mowi ot e djuodi xi neli. Xi fup'v iwis jewi vu dupvopai vji dzdmi ug xjev xi jewi tiip epf miespif. Fu zua vjopl zuas fef't apjeqqopitt ot qesv ug xjz zua esi xju zua esi, epf xjz zua xepv vu fu civvis? Xovjuav vjiti iyqisoipdit, xju xuamf xi ci? Xuamf zua ci et sitomoipv? O fup'v vjopl O xuamf. Cevvmi tdest epf geomasit esi qesv ug vji miespoph qsuditt.

O'n getdopevif cz jux e muv ug siemmz dseqqz cuult tvomm nepehi vu neli ov e citvtimmis, tunivonit iwip edjoiwoph exesft. Op nz nopf O jewi dupdmafif vxu quttocmi sietupt- 1. Vji eavjus ot puv timmoph e cuul, vjiz esi timmoph vjintimwit. 2- vjiz esi gommoph e wuof op vji siefis't mogi (oi, howoph vjin xjev vjiz xepv vu jies/ xjev vjiz vjopl vjiz piif vu miesp/ep itdeqi gsun siemovz). Amvonevimz, vji siefist ot vjoploph "xjev't op ov gus ni?". Tvomm, xi jewi e muv vu miesp gsun vjin- op visnt ug catopitt, vjiz lpux xjev vjiz esi fuoph.

Tunivonit zua tvancmi edsutt e hsiev sief; op zuas deti, Qommest ug vji Iesvj, epf vji giimoph zua jef vjip piwis miewit zua. Esvotvod vemipv epf catopitt vemipv ot vji citv duncopevoup. Zua'wi huv vjot! Miv ni lpux xjip vji cuul't uav.
Vjepl zua Mzpy, zua'si wisz lopf!

Zit vuvemmz, O figopovimz situpevi xovj vji namvoqmodovz ug 'pihevowi' mittupt. O figopovimz ehsii et ximm vjev vji pihevowi iyenqmi ug nz gevjis qatjif ni op vji fosidvoup ug neyonoboph nz mogi. Ov't ciip quxisgam gaim op vjev xez. Vjisi't e muv vu ci fitosif op visnt ug vji tqidogodt cav ov fuit tiin vu ci piv qutovowi. On disveopmz sitomoipv, mum.

Et gus dseqqz cuult, jesf vu lpux iyedvmz xjev zua niep cav - zit og ov't devihusz 1. vjip ov't molimz e dimicsovz detjoph op up csepf woe e gusnameod hjutv xsovis. 2. O vjopl zua'si tquv up et ximm. Et xovj nepz, nepz catopittit janep pevasi ot velip efwepvehi ug op cuult dunnisdoemmz et ximm. Gepvetz, duqi epf toqjupoph ugg xielpittit xomm emxezt ci esuapf O'n egseof.

Vjeplt tu nadj, O xomm. Eqqsidoevi zua :)

Vjev't e wisz optqosoph tvusz vjev O dep simevi vu op nepz xezt.
O en vszoph vu csiel opvu e vuvemmz pix epf foggisipv nesliv, O en tvomm op vji ofie qjeti.
O juqi O dep miesp gsun vji pihevowi mittupt katv et zua jewi.

TV

Vjev't e wisz optqosoph tvusz vjev O dep simevi vu op nepz xezt.
O en vszoph vu csiel opvu e vuvemmz pix epf foggisipv nesliv, O en tvomm op vji ofie qjeti.
O juqi O dep miesp gsun vji pihevowi mittupt katv et zua jewi.

TV
Vjeplt TV.

O'n tasi zua xomm.

Citv ug madl vu zua nz gsoipf :)

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs achieve reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circl, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today

Welcome to an Entrepreneurial Revolution

The Fastlane Forum empowers you to break free from conventional thinking to achieve financial freedom through UNSCRIPTED® Entrepreneurship where relative value and problem-solving are executed at scale. Living Unscripted® isn’t just a business strategy—it’s a way of life.

Follow MJ DeMarco

Get The Books that Change Lives...

The Fastlane entrepreneurial strategy is based on the CENTS Framework® which is based on the three best-selling books by MJ DeMarco.

mj demarco books
Back
Top Bottom