The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Jedi Mind Tricks - Using process, words, and psychology to make lots of money.

BenFranklin

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
917%
Nov 24, 2019
Louisville, KY
For those of you who sell stuff or negotiate the old fashioned way...that is to say belly to belly with a human being or over the phone in direct conversation with real people, I'd like to share with you a collection of words, phrases, and understanding of human psychology that I have cobbled together over the last few years, parceled out in as many parts as it takes to share it. This is a compilation of learning directly from some of the best in the business, plus my own trial and error, over the last few years. More importantly, it works. And once you start putting these phrases and concepts into practice, (and practicing them until they are second nature), you'll likely find that in situations past where you've been tongue tied, stumped, brushed off, or otherwise rejected, the vast majority of those situations will vaporize, and you'll have Jedi-like power over others that will translate into real money if that's what you're after.

Before we get into the gold, a few notes:
-This is my first post of what I consider to be real value to help others. If some of this stuff was posted elsewhere on the forum 5 years ago, I apologize. I can't read every thread that's ever been posted.
-This information has helped me pull in hundreds of thousands of dollars from thin air over the last 2 or 3 years.
-About 5 years ago, I switched from being a real estate investor, to a real estate brokerage owner. I started my company from the ground up, which means I did everything myself and had to learn how to sell. At first, this was very difficult. I had been used to sitting at a computer analyzing real estate investment deals, or out in the field dealing with property. Now I was forced to convince complete strangers to hire me as their realtor. It was a 180 degree turn for me, and did not happen overnight. I stumbled in the dark for a long time, then got some good mentors, kept working on my game, and now have an industry leading record in a few statistics in my field. If I can do it, you can too.

Basic sales premise #1:
The first thing you need to understand about real selling, and the reason it has been and always will be one of the highest paid gigs around (including if you are a business owner), is that it is different and more difficult from order taking. When you take an order from a prospect, customer, or client (we'll use the word prospect from here on), it's real simple: they've already made up their mind that they're going to buy your thing. And nearly any goofball can fulfill that request. This is why the person behind the counter at McDonalds gets paid minimum wage (or is being replaced by a computer screen to be more relevant). Conversely, it's the sales person who, in one way or another, crosses paths with the consumer before they are ready to buy/sign up/commit; and it's that person's job to convince the prospect that it's ok, indeed in their best interest, to take action. This persuasion timeline to get the prospect to take action is typically in line with the size of the transaction. If you're a waiter and you're selling dessert after the prospect's meal, your timeline of persuasion might take 10 seconds. If you sell Boeing jets, your persuasion timeline might take over a year all said and done.
Pulling that persuasion off of course, is the rub. It's more difficult. You are not taking an order. You are leading the horse to water. And that's why great sales people, and business owners who hire and train normal folk to become great sales people, make far more money than those who sit around and wait for an order to fall in their lap.

In a nutshell, great sales people are great negotiators. And to do that, you have to be a great listener, and great at preparing. But when it's your turn to talk, it REALLY helps if you know what to say and how to say it, what to do and how to do it, and what to avoid altogether.

Before we get into phrases and such, a quick and infinitely helpful sidestep to anyone struggling with this concept is:
Have a sales process in place first.
The beauty of selling, and contrary to the opinion of many lone wolf types who do it, is that it is a repeatable process, just like all the others in business. It is also very teachable, and therefore scalable, despite what many in my industry believe. You should not be re-inventing the wheel every time you try to convince a prospect to buy/sign up/commit. You're encouraged to refine your process over time and make it more valuable to the prospect...but get a process in place first. Get it in writing so that you don't have to keep remembering it all. Here's a condensed version of what mine looks like at my realty brokerage:
1. Marketing and Lead Generation on autopilot (Facebook ads, Zillow, Yard Signs, Past Client marketing). I get them to reach out to me (way better than cold calling/door knocking).
2. Prospect reaches out to me: either a direct inquiry about a property (buying or selling), or registration.
3. I follow up quickly and often, with a combination of calls and texts, until I get them on the phone. This may take 5 minutes, it may take 5 weeks. If I can't get them on the phone after about a dozen attempts, they go into another database, where my system continues to drip value on them permanently and follow up occasionally until they become a client or tell me to go away.
4. On the phone (and this is critical for my industry)...the goal is NOT to sell them a home. It's to get face to face with them (either in person or over Google Hangout). This is called setting an appointment.
5. At the appointment, which can last 30 minutes for buyers or 2 hours for sellers, the goal is to sign them up as a new client, exclusive to me/my company. This is where the sale is made. This is done by overwhelming them with value and a no brainer decision that I'm the right guy for the job.
6. After they are a client, I'm now largely an order taker, with moments of persuasion here and there, until they close a real estate transaction.

There are many more steps within and around this whole song and dance from when someone first reaches out to me, and when I actually have a check in my hand, but you see...if you don't understand what the process is, and where the crucial moment of selling is, you run the risk of stumbling around in the dark, constantly on the back foot, or worse, trying to sell somebody way the hell too early, which in this case would be on the first phone call.

Now let's dive into some specific words/phrases, that should instantly make your life easier and more lucrative in anything related to sales or negotiating.

Cold Calling (or other cold approaches).
I don't recommend cold calling if you can avoid it, but when you are just starting out, it might be the only option. When I first started my realty company, I cold called AND cold door knocked. Both freaking suck, let me tell you, but I did generate leads and dollars from it. I quickly found better alternatives, but you gotta start somewhere.

When you are reaching out to a stranger on the phone or in person...and let me specifically say that when you are the one initiating the conversation...not them (that's why it's called cold) for any purpose whatsoever, you need to understand that you are interrupting that person's day. You are catching them completely off guard. So don't bullshit around about it. Don't make it something that it is not. Because when that person opens the door or answers the phone, a series of biological and evolutionary linked, hardwired actions are occurring in their brain in the blink of an eye, and if you could read their mind, it would sound something like this: "Who the F*ck are you, and should I fight you or run from you?"

Not exactly a, "Welcome friend! Join me for tea and crumpets" type of moment.

Now here's where most salespeople screw this very key moment up. They open with something like, "Hi there...my name is Bill Smith with XYZ corp. I was wondering if you had any interest in (insert product or service)."

Now I know that at least one other person has posted on here not to open with the above, but let's take a moment to explain why, and then finish the subject with what you should do instead. In this situation, the prospect is going to hang up on you/close the door, or at best, reply with, "Wait...now...who did you say you were again? Oh...ok...not interested...thank you." Already, right from the word go, you're on the back foot. Here's why: in the split second that you are introducing yourself, the prospect's brain is trying to make some connection with you that is familiar, only it can't, because you aren't familiar. Once that split second is over, the brain realizes that you are a stranger, and possibly worse, a salesperson stranger, and so the brain immediately goes on guard. Fight or flight. The prospect may not be overtly sweating or apprehensive, but believe me, inside their brain and body, that's exactly what's going on.

Like most things in life that you can't fight and win (the ocean, the stock market, taxes, etc), you need to acknowledge the situation for what it is, and use a type of jiu-jitsu to your advantage. Ride the wave...don't fight it.

Rewind, start over.

Here's the EXACT phrase that I learned from a close friend who is a marketing and sales genius. This person started his own marketing consultancy from scratch around 2009, made hundreds of thousands of dollars in income each year starting about year 3, and 10 years after starting, sold his company for nearly $2M. He used it throughout, and uses it to this day. Translation...it works:
"Hi Bill (use their name, if you know it...delete if you don't), we've not met or spoken before, and I know I'm calling you out of the blue...but when I don't have a relationship with someone, this is how I typically reach out."
PAUSE AND SHUT UP.

About 10 times out of 10, the prospect is going to eventually say, "Ok?..."

On the pause, my friend and I have waited as much as 30 seconds. That is an eternity. Nevertheless...you do NOT speak until they do.
What you are doing here is called a Pattern Interruption.
The only way that you can get around the lizard brain (the ancient part of the prospect's brain that wants to fight you or run from you), is to show it some novelty. You don't need to be a goofy circus clown, but you can't give the prospect a chance for their brain to associate you with a stranger salesperson. And the above phrase in bold is exactly how you avoid that. You are riding the wave. You are using psychology and evolution to your advantage here.

From there, after the prospect says "Ok?...", you are being given permission to proceed. The clock is ticking, and what you say and do not say next is also very key. You will continue by NOT stating your name or your company name. Doing so would immediately revert you back to the flowchart of fight or flight, and you will be spit out. Instead, you proceed with a novel, one line benefit statement, and then a low threshold "go for no".

I'll talk about those exact phrases and their psychology in Part 2, followed by more warm call/appointment/persuasion stuff in the coming days if there's any interest.
I have a company to run, and I have to get back to work, but have been meaning to be of use to you all since I joined up in November.
Hope Part 1 was helpful, and I hope to do more. If no interest...I'll go back to making money.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
I read a sales book fifteen years ago and went from a low number to a startlingly high number in sales, in one week. The advice in that book was almost word for word what you’re writing about.

Please continue. Your hook worked on one person, at least.

SROWE85

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
209%
Jul 22, 2018
United Kingdom
^^ Make that two. I'm currently in sales and have to make cold calls everyday. Even after 3 years i am still refining my pitch. I would love to test this. Please continue..

BenFranklin

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
917%
Nov 24, 2019
Louisville, KY
I read a sales book fifteen years ago and went from a low number to a startlingly high number in sales, in one week. The advice in that book was almost word for word what you’re writing about.

I'd love to know what book you referenced for further learning. My post (and upcoming continued posts) are based on 2 or 3 books, some online coaching, and LOTS of attempts in the boxing ring. Books:
Pitch Anything, Oren Klaff
The Unfair Advantage, Duane Lakin
Never Split the Difference, Chris Voss

BenFranklin

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
917%
Nov 24, 2019
Louisville, KY
^^ Make that two. I'm currently in sales and have to make cold calls everyday. Even after 3 years i am still refining my pitch. I would love to test this. Please continue..
The fact that you are still refining after 3 years means that you are, or will be if not already, among the best. That's been proven elsewhere in the sales world. Good job man. In my opinion, there's no such thing as a magic wand and never will be. But if you can increase your odds each time at bat, even by a few percentage points...that's where the dough lies baby. I'll continue in the coming days. Just trying to give back to the forum.

BenFranklin

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
917%
Nov 24, 2019
Louisville, KY
In Part 1, we covered a fair amount of process, psychology, and persuasion language, in sales and negotiation, starting with Cold Calling. I got tired of writing where I ended, and needed a break. Let's wrap up the Cold Calling topic here.

I already wrote about the opening script I came to learn and use. It's been tried, tested, and works. But now what?
What do you do after you've interrupted the prospect's day, completely out of the blue, and managed to get brief permission to continue?
This part I will admit is up for debate, but in my humble opinion, you need to:
1. State a novel, one line benefit statement, followed by
2. A low threshold "go for no".
Let's clarify and as usual, dissect.

A novel, one line benefit statement should quickly communicate to the prospect a benefit or advantage to them, should they do business with you. And by novel...it should pop. There should be a bit of a wow factor. If you own the company and you're doing the selling for now...you need to be able to say something about your product/service that virtually no other competitor can. If you work for the company as a salesperson, and there's no wow factor, try to convince the company to get you one.

A low threshold "go for no" is something I started employing relentlessly for the last year or so in just about any form of negotiation or sales situation I find myself in right after I came across Chris Voss, who wrote the book "Never Split the Difference". This book blew me away, and watching a few youtube videos with him sharing some secrets was just as powerful. In the instance of "go for no", what I'm specifically talking about here is that in negotiation and sales, for years, folks were taught to go for little micro "yes's". In other words, if you could get the prospect to say "yes" to little things leading up to THE BIG CLOSE...they'd automatically say yes at the point of signing a deal. But Voss found otherwise. He found that there is a natural human tendency for the person across the table (or phone) to be on guard unless they know, like, and trust you. And he found that those little "yes's" may lead to a big false "yes" right at the critical moment of signing a deal. Instead of going for little "yes's" throughout the discussion...Voss found that the exact opposite approach yielded much greater results. Where he would normally try to get a prospect to say "yes" to something, he simply flipped his phrasing around, in an effort to get them to say "no". I'll show examples in a minute, but the reasoning behind this is brilliant. And it all comes back down to the lizard brain as usual.

The lizard brain of your prospect especially on a cold call, needs to be provided an escape route. It needs to be persuaded...quickly...that you are a non threatening novelty.
And Voss found that one of the best ways to get people to let their guard down...drumroll...is to put them in a situation where they are allowed to say "no" to you.
It's freaking awesome when you start trying this out on people, I'm telling you.

To show some real world examples of basic scripts/language, let's pick three products or services out of the blue that I personally have no experience with whatsoever, just to prove a point that it's the concepts that we're going after here.
-Melatonin pills.
-A "done for you" mobile car washing service.
-A craft beer.

So. You're selling melatonin pills. You're trying to sell to doctors. Let's assume in all these examples that you are able to use a simplified version of what's below to get past any gatekeepers if they stand in your way, and an actual decision maker answers the phone.

Doctor: Hello, Doctor Smith speaking.
You: "Hi Doctor Smith. We've not met or spoken before, and I know I'm calling you out of the blue...but when I don't have a relationship with someone, this is how I typically reach out." Pause and Shut Up.
Doctor: ....Ok?
You: "My company produces melatonin pills, and is one of the few out there that...actually gets the correct dosage right...in every pill, which means a much safer prescription for your patients with sleep problems. Is now a bad time to take 2 minutes with you to discuss this a bit more?"

So let's examine briefly.
Notice that the one line benefit statement gets right to the point. The prospect can immediately see what's in it for them, and that my company is different.
Notice also what I did NOT do. I did NOT state my name or my company name at any point. Go back to Part 1 of this series for more depth, but the short story is that you...and your company...are completely irrelevant if the prospect does not have a relationship with you already.

Both myself and my friend that I spoke about in Part 1 have had entire conversations with prospects, including setting an appointment, without ever stating our name or company name, and only emailing it or texting it right after the call. Allow that to sink in.

Notice also that my phrasing in the last sentence is the definition of a low threshold "go for no". What I did NOT do, was I did not ask, "Do you have a couple of minutes to discuss this a bit more?" Same sentence in the bad example, but it demands a "yes" response, and that's NOT what the lizard brain wants to do. It feels the noose tightening when you do that. Give it an escape route. Allow it to tell you "no". It's also low threshold. Meaning that I'm not asking this person to let me do a full blown sales presentation on the phone, I'm not asking him to buy my shit...I'm not doing any of that. In my opinion, if you are interrupting somebody's day out of the blue like this, you have only one mission, and that's to set an appointment, whether it be in person or over Google Hangout, at which point you will do the real selling. Second best would be to get permission to keep the guy in your database to follow up with when a better time works for him.

One of the things people miss in sales is that if you lengthen the sales process, you very often shorten the sale decision when it comes time to cut a deal.

Other random examples of "go for no" micro scripts that I use ALL THE TIME in dealings with just about everybody I want to persuade (prospects, clients, my wife, my kids):
"Would it be too much trouble for you to..."
"Does any of this stuff sound just...half baked or totally crazy to you?"
"Would it be a bad idea to..."
"Is now a bad time to..."

The sky is the limit on "go for no". Swipe/deploy, make the above your own.

Let's do the two other examples to drive home the language point, then wrap up Part 2.

So now you own a "done for you" mobile car washing service, where you're trying to get in to office complexes, big attorney's offices, etc.
(By the way, for those of you looking for business ideas...a friend of mine did this for years and made great money.)

Office person: Hello, Bill speaking.
You: "Hi Bill. We've not met or spoken before, and I know I'm calling you out of the blue...but when I don't have a relationship with someone, this is how I typically reach out." Pause and Shut Up.
Bill: ....Ok?
You: "I own a mobile car washing service...we come to office complexes and clean cars for busy professionals...so they can be more productive on the job...and we also guarantee that our customers will be completely thrilled with our work...or we'll pay them $500. Is now a bad time to take 2 minutes to discuss this a bit more?"

See the pattern? Once you know this stuff, you understand that selling is a process transferrable to any industry.

Craft beer. You're trying to get your brand into every major liquor chain in every 3rd tier city in America. Conquer that, and your goal is 2nd and 1st tier cities.

Liquor chain manager: Thanks for calling Fizzy Liquors, Bill speaking here, how can I help you?
You: "Hi Bill. We've not met or spoken before, and I know I'm calling you out of the blue...but when I don't have a relationship with someone, this is how I typically reach out." Pause and Shut Up.
Bill: ....Ok?
You: "My company makes craft beer...and our beer offers retailers like yours one of the highest gross margins of any craft beer on the market. Is now a bad time to take 2 minutes to discuss this a bit more?"

Ok. So point made hopefully.
Now let's wrap this up.

First, ya gotta understand the lizard brain that you're dealing with. It's evolution, and you can't fight it. When you are dealing with a human being, and you are trying to persuade them...especially if it is a cold situation described in Part 1 and Part 2 here, if you don't understand the fundamental and predictable things that are going on in their brain, you're gonna get squashed. Conversely, if you understand the lizard brain; namely that in order to ride the wave, you have to show it pattern interruptions, harmless novelty, and an escape route, you stand a MUCH better chance at getting to the outcome you want.

It's also worth noting that although everything I've laid out is tried, tested, and works...there is no such thing in as a magic wand. No sales person has the market cornered on this stuff. Voss proved just a few years ago that a chunk of this stuff that had been taught for millinia was dead wrong. And everybody gets rejected. If you are cold calling, you're going to get lots of rejection. But...I submit to you the premise that if you use these tools I've laid out for you in cold calling and negotiating (as all sales are negotiations), your odds of winning go way up versus winging it and fumbling around on the phone.
If I had to draw out a flow chart of what you're trying to do here, it would look like this:
Cold call if necessary => convert to warm lead => follow up, follow up, follow up =>set appointment/sales presentation =>close =>deliver good or service.
Swipe and deploy the scripts provided, and go make some money.

In Part 3, I'll share some amazing stuff that I use to great success in more warmer situations (where my marketing caused the prospect to reach out to me), which I personally prefer and advise you to learn how to let your marketing do the heavy lifting grunt work and eliminate the cold approach as soon as you can.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
"Is now a bad time?" I've been using that sales trick for years. Good find.

Solid actionable steps here. I'll vouch that this approach works.

SROWE85

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
209%
Jul 22, 2018
United Kingdom
Thanks Ryan. Learning is never ending and i'm always keen to hear how others have succeeded. Thank you for the book recommendations, i'll get into those in the meantime. Coincidently, I've recently finished Chris Voss' book and it certainly struck a few chords.

A key theme on this forum is process not product, and its the process that i'm trying to refine. Although every sale/interaction is different, behind it lies the same principles - you still need to understand the customers pain points and get to the bottom of how you can add value to their business - No different to improving existing products and selling them on Amazon.

I have no intentions of staying in the job that i am in, although its the perfect place to sharpen my tools. The learning/skills required are highly lateral and will stay with me in whatever i do.

As you say, cold calling is numbing but your initial post has got me rather excited about coming at it from another angle.

BenFranklin

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
917%
Nov 24, 2019
Louisville, KY
In Parts 1 and 2, I discussed the lizard brain, having a sales process, the power of words, and cold calling.
Now let's move into some more highly actionable things you can start using in more warmer situations, and I'll get right to it this time, assuming you've now got an understanding on the human brain that you are dealing with when selling to or negotiating with another human being directly.

Enter a lady by the name of Elizabeth Stokoe. I somehow stumbled onto her a year or two ago and I'm amazed that the video below still only has 25k views. It's pure gold.

Stokoe is a Conversation Analyst from England. She's spent countless hours analyzing thousands of recorded conversations where persuasion is at the heart of it (like sales phone calls, conversations between cops and detained criminals, etc). So unless you've got her credentials or track record, I strongly suggest that you take 15 minutes and watch this video, where she reveals the power of 1 word when you want to convince someone to do something. Then go start testing this immediately in situations you find useful.

Here's the video (15min):
View: https://youtu.be/RUbd9RzX9u0

Pretty cool right?

So check this out. In my business (real estate brokerage), I started applying this immediately upon watching this video. There's a point on the phone call with leads where we eventually have to move from the qualifying section (talking about someday maybe buying or selling a home)...to actually getting belly to belly and making it a reality. I've now dubbed this my "jiu-jitsu" paragraph in my script, because it's a critical moment where I'm fundamentally convincing them to take action. And by taking action, what I specifically mean is getting in their car, driving across town, and meeting with me at my office for a sales presentation (we're now doing this via Google Hangout as I begin to scale and build my company). Prior to this video, I struggled with that...and for good reason...it's tough if you're winging it.

Here's the "jiu-jitsu" paragraph in my script with wanna be home buyers. Notice the use of the word "willing"...bolded and underlined in my script so I never forget its power.
"One of the things I’ve discovered in working with lots of buyers, is that most people get all excited about going out and looking at a bunch of homes...which I totally understand...but not everybody is caught up to speed on things like current market conditions, or how to find good deals and beat out other buyers that you’ll be competing with, or even the nuts and bolts of buying a home itself. The people who rush into this...tend to have bad experiences. So I’ve found that if you’re willing to just...get together over coffee...and have a simple conversation about what needs to happen for you to actually...buy a home you can be proud of...rather than risking a big financial mistake...you end up having a much better understanding of how to approach this whole process...does that make sense?"

This one word changed everything. As an agent on my team once said, "If I can get to that point in the script with the person on the phone...it's game over almost every time." Allow that to sink in. This is one of the ways that you grow a business. If you can get a bunch of people to reach out to you via your marketing, and then get them on the phone, and increase your ability to set appointments with them...even by a seemingly small amount of percentage points, then get really good at the actual presentation...well then you can start printing money. And as soon as you can hire and train a few good people to take your spot to do this...it's game over. You're on your way to building a Fastlane business. That's what I'm up to.

As usual folks...swipe and deploy. "Willing".
In Part 4 I'll discuss appointments (also known as sales presentations).

BenFranklin

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
917%
Nov 24, 2019
Louisville, KY
In wrapping up the Jedi Mind Tricks series, let's talk about appointments, also known as a sales presentation. This is where you are face to face with someone, and your goal is to get them to sign a contract right then and there. And of course, in all of this, the bigger picture is to master this stuff in the early days of your business so that you can hire people and teach them to do it. That allows you to honor the Commandment of Time (separating your time from the act of making money).

I responded in depth to another INSIDERS's question about sales presentations here, and there's a lot of gold for you to swipe and deploy.
https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/threads/sales-presentations.93544/post-852107

A few things not included in that post, and some key highlights that were:
-Get yourself in a favorable supply and demand situation.
What I mean here is that you should never go into a sales presentation feeling desperate to make a sale/get a sign up/cut a deal, etc. And the way you do that is to make sure that you have a steady, consistent stream of people to sell to. As an example, in 2019 my realty company averaged about 6 new client appointments per month. During peak season it would be 8 or 10. Armed with that track record, when I went into an appointment, yes...I wanted my company to sign up a new client...but I cared not a whit if they didn't. If after displaying a shit ton of value to them, making it an obvious no brainer decision to hire my company, and using some powerful Jedi Mind tricks that work a huge amount of time, if they still didn't get it or didn't want it...they could buzz off. I didn't care. There were many more like them. There was only one me.

-Have an agenda, timeline, and expectation of closing...OR NOT, and announce all of that right up front.
My script goes something like this.
"Ok Bill...so today's discussion has 3 or 4 main parts, and takes about a half hour depending on your questions. Part 1 is a brief review of what it is exactly that you want out of this...that'll take about 10 minutes. Part 2 covers X and takes about 10 minutes. Part 3 covers X and takes X minutes. At the end of all of that, if you like what you hear and see, and you think I'm the right guy for the job, we can knock out some documents to make that happen. If you DON'T like what you hear or see, and you think this is NOT a good fit for you...that's totally ok. We can part ways, no harm no foul."

This section is full of Jedi Mind Tricks, and should not be underestimated. First, the other person NEEDS to know how long this is going to be. It's an instant relief for them. Second, they will almost always let their guard down right then and there because they know what to expect, and if not, they almost always will when you get to Part 1, which should ALWAYS be where they talk about what they want and you listen and take notes if need be. It's here that they begin to understand that this is a 2 way street; that you're not shoving your bullshit down their throat. Thirdly, you've made a very easy sounding, non threatening reference to closing a deal...it thus won't be some big surprise to them when you make that critical ask at the end. And finally, you've given their lizard brain the always critical escape route. Let's be real: you can't force anyone to do anything. People will only do something when they want to. Your odds increase massively when you combine obvious no brainer value PLUS an escape route.

-Keep your core presentation to 20-30 minutes if possible.
You may be in the same room together for much longer than that amount of time. Genuine two way dialogue/Q&A type stuff is perfectly fine. But your core presentation should be guerilla warfare: get in, drop your grenades, get out.

-Memorize as much as possible, use as few support materials as possible.
This keeps the focus human to human. If you start throwing in Power Point slides and other written crap...you're asking the prospect's brain to divide it's attention, and that's exactly what will happen. Think conversation WAY more than presentation. You may have to pull out material and go over it before they sign on the dotted line, but you should keep it minimal and always be looking for ways to reduce.

-Practice.
Amateurs come into a business meeting winging it. Pros know exactly what they want to happen. They've thought through all of the objections that the prospect might throw their way, and they've practiced how they'll respond to that too.

-Smile and relax.
If you put yourself in a good supply & demand situation; if you've created a benefit rich pitch that is as clear and obvious as you can make it; if you've told the prospect how long this is going to take and that they can either cut a deal with you or walk...then just smile, relax, and do your thing. It's just a business meeting. There will be many more like it.

-Closing.
Signing a contract is the most natural conclusion to a business agreement. Not asking for the order/signature/commitment/purchase is the #1 reason that things don't get sold. Let's pause here to use some logic folks, because if you are in business, and you can't get somebody to commit to your thing...you're in deep shit. The way I got really comfortable with Closing; that is to say the idea of it, was this: can you imagine going to see a doctor and NOT signing some paperwork before the nurse tech calls you to the back room? Can you imagine going to a fine dining establishment and NOT being presented with a bill at the end of the meal...watching the waitstaff fidget and fumble around, hoping you'll pull out your wallet? Can you imagine calling a plumber out to your house to fix a broken water line and NOT filling out a "we'll fix your shit, then you'll pay us right afterwards" terms and conditions document? Can you imagine going to Amazon and NOT seeing a "Buy Now" button?
Catch my drift?

-Closing language.
It's common for new business owners, sales people, etc, to fumble closing. And I understand because it's a skill like any other. Some people are terrified of changing a flat tire. Once you learn how to do it a few times...it's no big deal. Same thing here. Here's my general script. Swipe and deploy as usual...it'll make the act of closing and making money much easier for you.
Me: "Ok Bill...so we've covered a lot of stuff here. Does any of this stuff sound...totally crazy or half baked to you." (said like a statement, not a question).
Bill: mmmm....Nope.
Me: "Great. Would it be a problem to take a minute to go over the contract." (said like a statement, not a question).
Bill: No...let's do it.
I go over the high points of the contract.
Me: "Ok...so that's pretty much the long and short of it...are there annnnyyy comments, questions, or concerns." (said like a statement, not a question).
Bill: Nope...it all makes sense to me.
Me: "Ok then, let's go ahead and knock it out."
I then put an ink pen in the spot near the first signature line, put my back in the seat, and shut up.
It's literally that simple.

Ok folks. I know some of these threads were monsters, and I really appreciate those of you who followed along the whole way. I'll try to be more brief on future posts when called for. But if you're out there in business and you're struggling with human interaction, that is to say persuading people to buy your thing, know that I was once in your shoes. As a naturally introverted person, I'm telling you that if I can learn to do this stuff and kick a$$ at it, and train others to do the same as I have done...you can do it too.

Helpful books on this subject:
Pitch Anything, Oren Klaff
The Unfair Advantage: Sell with NLP, Duane Lakin
Never Split the Difference, Chris Voss

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
But why did you put these on the Inside?

BenFranklin

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
917%
Nov 24, 2019
Louisville, KY
I'm not for sure I understand your meaning.
If I've done something wrong, please let me know.
My intention was to contribute actionable information to fellow INSIDERS who've paid money to be here who may not know this stuff but may want to.

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
Oh you’re fine. No worries. I was just curious.

pappaishere

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Feb 8, 2020
Australia
Can't wait for the second part!

Thanks for share!

Bekit

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Aug 13, 2018
For those of you who sell stuff or negotiate the old fashioned way...that is to say belly to belly with a human being or over the phone in direct conversation with real people, I'd like to share with you a collection of words, phrases, and understanding of human psychology that I have cobbled together over the last few years, parceled out in as many parts as it takes to share it. This is a compilation of learning directly from some of the best in the business, plus my own trial and error, over the last few years. More importantly, it works. And once you start putting these phrases and concepts into practice, (and practicing them until they are second nature), you'll likely find that in situations past where you've been tongue tied, stumped, brushed off, or otherwise rejected, the vast majority of those situations will vaporize, and you'll have Jedi-like power over others that will translate into real money if that's what you're after.

Before we get into the gold, a few notes:
-This is my first post of what I consider to be real value to help others. If some of this stuff was posted elsewhere on the forum 5 years ago, I apologize. I can't read every thread that's ever been posted.
-This information has helped me pull in hundreds of thousands of dollars from thin air over the last 2 or 3 years.
-About 5 years ago, I switched from being a real estate investor, to a real estate brokerage owner. I started my company from the ground up, which means I did everything myself and had to learn how to sell. At first, this was very difficult. I had been used to sitting at a computer analyzing real estate investment deals, or out in the field dealing with property. Now I was forced to convince complete strangers to hire me as their realtor. It was a 180 degree turn for me, and did not happen overnight. I stumbled in the dark for a long time, then got some good mentors, kept working on my game, and now have an industry leading record in a few statistics in my field. If I can do it, you can too.

Basic sales premise #1:
The first thing you need to understand about real selling, and the reason it has been and always will be one of the highest paid gigs around (including if you are a business owner), is that it is different and more difficult from order taking. When you take an order from a prospect, customer, or client (we'll use the word prospect from here on), it's real simple: they've already made up their mind that they're going to buy your thing. And nearly any goofball can fulfill that request. This is why the person behind the counter at McDonalds gets paid minimum wage (or is being replaced by a computer screen to be more relevant). Conversely, it's the sales person who, in one way or another, crosses paths with the consumer before they are ready to buy/sign up/commit; and it's that person's job to convince the prospect that it's ok, indeed in their best interest, to take action. This persuasion timeline to get the prospect to take action is typically in line with the size of the transaction. If you're a waiter and you're selling dessert after the prospect's meal, your timeline of persuasion might take 10 seconds. If you sell Boeing jets, your persuasion timeline might take over a year all said and done.
Pulling that persuasion off of course, is the rub. It's more difficult. You are not taking an order. You are leading the horse to water. And that's why great sales people, and business owners who hire and train normal folk to become great sales people, make far more money than those who sit around and wait for an order to fall in their lap.

In a nutshell, great sales people are great negotiators. And to do that, you have to be a great listener, and great at preparing. But when it's your turn to talk, it REALLY helps if you know what to say and how to say it, what to do and how to do it, and what to avoid altogether.

Before we get into phrases and such, a quick and infinitely helpful sidestep to anyone struggling with this concept is:
Have a sales process in place first.
The beauty of selling, and contrary to the opinion of many lone wolf types who do it, is that it is a repeatable process, just like all the others in business. It is also very teachable, and therefore scalable, despite what many in my industry believe. You should not be re-inventing the wheel every time you try to convince a prospect to buy/sign up/commit. You're encouraged to refine your process over time and make it more valuable to the prospect...but get a process in place first. Get it in writing so that you don't have to keep remembering it all. Here's a condensed version of what mine looks like at my realty brokerage:
1. Marketing and Lead Generation on autopilot (Facebook ads, Zillow, Yard Signs, Past Client marketing). I get them to reach out to me (way better than cold calling/door knocking).
2. Prospect reaches out to me: either a direct inquiry about a property (buying or selling), or registration.
3. I follow up quickly and often, with a combination of calls and texts, until I get them on the phone. This may take 5 minutes, it may take 5 weeks. If I can't get them on the phone after about a dozen attempts, they go into another database, where my system continues to drip value on them permanently and follow up occasionally until they become a client or tell me to go away.
4. On the phone (and this is critical for my industry)...the goal is NOT to sell them a home. It's to get face to face with them (either in person or over Google Hangout). This is called setting an appointment.
5. At the appointment, which can last 30 minutes for buyers or 2 hours for sellers, the goal is to sign them up as a new client, exclusive to me/my company. This is where the sale is made. This is done by overwhelming them with value and a no brainer decision that I'm the right guy for the job.
6. After they are a client, I'm now largely an order taker, with moments of persuasion here and there, until they close a real estate transaction.

There are many more steps within and around this whole song and dance from when someone first reaches out to me, and when I actually have a check in my hand, but you see...if you don't understand what the process is, and where the crucial moment of selling is, you run the risk of stumbling around in the dark, constantly on the back foot, or worse, trying to sell somebody way the hell too early, which in this case would be on the first phone call.

Now let's dive into some specific words/phrases, that should instantly make your life easier and more lucrative in anything related to sales or negotiating.

Cold Calling (or other cold approaches).
I don't recommend cold calling if you can avoid it, but when you are just starting out, it might be the only option. When I first started my realty company, I cold called AND cold door knocked. Both freaking suck, let me tell you, but I did generate leads and dollars from it. I quickly found better alternatives, but you gotta start somewhere.

When you are reaching out to a stranger on the phone or in person...and let me specifically say that when you are the one initiating the conversation...not them (that's why it's called cold) for any purpose whatsoever, you need to understand that you are interrupting that person's day. You are catching them completely off guard. So don't bullshit around about it. Don't make it something that it is not. Because when that person opens the door or answers the phone, a series of biological and evolutionary linked, hardwired actions are occurring in their brain in the blink of an eye, and if you could read their mind, it would sound something like this: "Who the f*ck are you, and should I fight you or run from you?"

Not exactly a, "Welcome friend! Join me for tea and crumpets" type of moment.

Now here's where most salespeople screw this very key moment up. They open with something like, "Hi there...my name is Bill Smith with XYZ corp. I was wondering if you had any interest in (insert product or service)."

Now I know that at least one other person has posted on here not to open with the above, but let's take a moment to explain why, and then finish the subject with what you should do instead. In this situation, the prospect is going to hang up on you/close the door, or at best, reply with, "Wait...now...who did you say you were again? Oh...ok...not interested...thank you." Already, right from the word go, you're on the back foot. Here's why: in the split second that you are introducing yourself, the prospect's brain is trying to make some connection with you that is familiar, only it can't, because you aren't familiar. Once that split second is over, the brain realizes that you are a stranger, and possibly worse, a salesperson stranger, and so the brain immediately goes on guard. Fight or flight. The prospect may not be overtly sweating or apprehensive, but believe me, inside their brain and body, that's exactly what's going on.

Like most things in life that you can't fight and win (the ocean, the stock market, taxes, etc), you need to acknowledge the situation for what it is, and use a type of jiu-jitsu to your advantage. Ride the wave...don't fight it.

Rewind, start over.

Here's the EXACT phrase that I learned from a close friend who is a marketing and sales genius. This person started his own marketing consultancy from scratch around 2009, made hundreds of thousands of dollars in income each year starting about year 3, and 10 years after starting, sold his company for nearly $2M. He used it throughout, and uses it to this day. Translation...it works:
"Hi Bill (use their name, if you know it...delete if you don't), we've not met or spoken before, and I know I'm calling you out of the blue...but when I don't have a relationship with someone, this is how I typically reach out."
PAUSE AND SHUT UP.

About 10 times out of 10, the prospect is going to eventually say, "Ok?..."

On the pause, my friend and I have waited as much as 30 seconds. That is an eternity. Nevertheless...you do NOT speak until they do.
What you are doing here is called a Pattern Interruption.
The only way that you can get around the lizard brain (the ancient part of the prospect's brain that wants to fight you or run from you), is to show it some novelty. You don't need to be a goofy circus clown, but you can't give the prospect a chance for their brain to associate you with a stranger salesperson. And the above phrase in bold is exactly how you avoid that. You are riding the wave. You are using psychology and evolution to your advantage here.

From there, after the prospect says "Ok?...", you are being given permission to proceed. The clock is ticking, and what you say and do not say next is also very key. You will continue by NOT stating your name or your company name. Doing so would immediately revert you back to the flowchart of fight or flight, and you will be spit out. Instead, you proceed with a novel, one line benefit statement, and then a low threshold "go for no".

I'll talk about those exact phrases and their psychology in Part 2, followed by more warm call/appointment/persuasion stuff in the coming days if there's any interest.
I have a company to run, and I have to get back to work, but have been meaning to be of use to you all since I joined up in November.
Hope Part 1 was helpful, and I hope to do more. If no interest...I'll go back to making money.
Amazing post!

I can smell a gold thread in the making.

Super valuable advice here.

That video by Elizabeth Stokoe was absolute GOLD. As a copywriter, I've started to notice where this word shows up... and I'm going to start using it EVERYWHERE now.

Last edited:

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016
A great book: Linchpin: Are You Indispensable?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
@BenFranklin -- thank you for sharing your sales tips. I've upgraded this thread to GOLD as well as MERGED all your posts pertaining to this subject (Part 1, 2, 3.)

Thanks again!

PapaGang

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Jul 10, 2019
Milwaukee, WI
I had to read over a half dozen books on sales to get what you've posted in a fraction of the time.
Thank you. This is super valuable to everyone on here who at some point has to sell, which is literally everyone.

Keushei

Serial Entrepeneur
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Dec 31, 2022
United kingdom

what book was this?.. super intrigued. :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.