The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Just had an amazing idea Now What?

SmoothFranko

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Jul 31, 2015
Australia
Hey guy's

I have not really had an idea of what I could possibly do until just now, I have just seen a product I know I could make way cheaper then the only competition but I am unsure now how to proceed. I have no experience with the invention / manufacturing process or even running a business this would be my first start-up.
My other main concern is in order to make the concept work I would have to produce a product of similar design to the competition, so would there be any legal issues with that? The competition is a foreign company based in Italy.

Sorry if this seems rambled I am quite baked right now and feel as if I have had the ephiany of a lifetime as all the shit i've read on here and in TMF has just CLICKED.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Hackdroot

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Nov 11, 2014
IMO....

Hey guy's

I have not really had an idea of what I could possibly do until just now, I have just seen a product I know I could make way cheaper then the only competition but I am unsure now how to proceed. I have no experience with the invention / manufacturing process or even running a business this would be my first start-up.

Learn. Research whether or not there is an existing patent involved and if it's even applicable or enforceable in your country. There's plenty of online resources that can give you the answers you need.

My other main concern is in order to make the concept work I would have to produce a product of similar design to the competition, so would there be any legal issues with that? The competition is a foreign company based in Italy.

You need to either consult with an intellectual property or patent attorney, or if you can't afford that, do your own research. Don't disclose your idea without having them sign an NDA, speak in hypothetical terms. Plus you don't really NEED to produce anything. You could file a patent on an improved design/process and license it to the existing manufacturer. (read "One Simple Idea" by Stephen Key, or watch some of his youtube videos)

Sorry if this seems rambled I am quite baked right now and feel as if I have had the ephiany of a lifetime as all the shit i've read on here and in TMF has just CLICKED.

Stop doing that. Do you want to be stoned or successful. Plenty of time for you to get baked when you retire.

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
284%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
Whatever you do DON'T SHARE YOUR IDEA! Everyone in the world will steal it so be sure to be as vague as possible if you want the best advice...

Bwahahahahaha... buddy... seriously?

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
@SteveO does "baked' mean what I think it does?
This could mean anything. I would use it in the context that I just finished a 10 mile run in 105 degree weather. :) I believe that this term could be used after a hard day at work or had a little too much party material. Or, even that he was placed in a pan with brownie mix.

Seeing as he has Australia listed as where he lives, it could mean anything....

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
This could mean anything. I would use it in the context that I just finished a 10 mile run in 105 degree weather. :) I believe that this term could be used after a hard day at work or had a little too much party material. Or, even that he was placed in a pan with brownie mix.

Seeing as he has Australia listed as where he lives, it could mean anything....
I was thinking something else was in the brownie mix.

crockbar

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Jul 5, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Hey guy's

Maybe you should think about your idea again when your not baked and see if it is still a really good idea :)

If it is than I can give you some pointers...

SmoothFranko

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Jul 31, 2015
Australia
Maybe you should think about your idea again when your not baked and see if it is still a really good idea :)

If it is than I can give you some pointers...
I did exactly that I decided that I needed to sleep on the idea.

One Simple Idea - Stephen Key
Thank you I will definitely give that a look

Learn. Research whether or not there is an existing patent involved and if it's even applicable or enforceable in your country. There's plenty of online resources that can give you the answers you need.
Thank you Hackdroot, I am looking into as I type this.

SmoothFranko

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Jul 31, 2015
Australia
I have so far come up with an idea on how I can make the product cheaper then my competition and tracked down a kick starter which had done something with the same principle but a simpler design. I had thought about contacting the guy that put up the kickstarter about possibly teaming up as he appeared to not have been doing the kick starter for entrepanuraly purposes.

***EDIT** I apologise for mentioning I was 'baked' if it offended anyone. I use the product as I occasionally have bouts of anxiety, and while it is still an illicit substance in Australia the laws in the state where I live are quite lax.

JustinBoshans

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Mar 14, 2013
Step 2. Don't forget to bring a towel!

I have no idea what's going on...

(if no one gets that joke, I am on the correct forum)

I understood the reference. Doesn't mean you're on the wrong forum.

Silverhawk851

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
482%
Sep 22, 2012
Toronto/Traveling
Sorry if this seems rambled I am quite baked right now and feel as if I have had the ephiany of a lifetime
Stephen-Colbert-Popcorn.gif

Dwight Schrute

Ludicrous Speed
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
Oct 27, 2014
where eagles dare
I got that joke too. Maybe we're wrong here?:eek:

***EDIT** I apologise for mentioning I was 'baked' if it offended anyone. I use the product as I occasionally have bouts of anxiety, and while it is still an illicit substance in Australia the laws in the state where I live are quite lax.
22593408.jpg

Relax dude!

Really, read One Simple Idea.
No need to raise money on kickstarter, or build a big factory from ground up.
You can offer a company a way to save them lots of money, and they'll gladly pay for it.

SmoothFranko

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Jul 31, 2015
Australia
I have looked at WIPO (World Intellectual Property Organisation) and the European Patent Office, and so far have not found any ongoing patents related to the design or the tech. It also looks like the only other company looking at this had a kick starter for US production of the product that failed to be funded in 2013.

**EDIT** Looks like they tried to relaunch there funding campaign on INDIGOGO in 2014 which also failed.

Last edited:
G

Guest3722A

The chronic bubonic is awesome for creativity, provided you're using the right strains. The trick though is once you find an idea that plays out when you're not roasted, and you find there's actually a solid flow of customer interest for it, YOU NEED TO PUT IT DOWN AND CLEAR YOUR HEAD in order to stay sharp throughout the process phase which requires a TON of focused time and energy.

James Thornton

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Oct 31, 2014
Haha I meant 2 things by that:

- This forum a such a better use of time than the many hilarious time-waster websites I avoid at all costs.

- If not many people get the reference, I'm probably amongst more experienced entrepreneurs that I can really learn from.

SmoothFranko

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Jul 31, 2015
Australia
The chronic bubonic is awesome for creativity, provided you're using the right strains.
I agree with you 100% especially the day after I feel inspired and creative.

SmoothFranko

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Jul 31, 2015
Australia
Ok so after spending the day looking at options for this product as well as reading reviews about the compititons product I have come to the conclusion that this product while very cool doesn't really serve a 'Need', now this maybe just because I have yet to see / find a need that this product could fill but for the moment it appears to be more of a cool gimmick.

Its more or less something you could expect to find at a hobby store or the same sort of store you would find rubix cubes, telescopes, glow in the dark stickers, slinky's ect...

Mr.B

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Nov 8, 2014
Australia
Ok so after spending the day looking at options for this product as well as reading reviews about the compititons product I have come to the conclusion that this product while very cool doesn't really serve a 'Need', now this maybe just because I have yet to see / find a need that this product could fill but for the moment it appears to be more of a cool gimmick.

Good to figure that out now rather than later! The fact those other companies weren't able to get enough funding on kickstarter suggests that there might not be much demand for this product.

Also...

I have just seen a product I know I could make way cheaper then the only competition but I am unsure now how to proceed. I have no experience with the invention / manufacturing process or even running a business this would be my first start-up.

How do you know that you could make it way cheaper when you have no experience with invention/manufacturing etc.?

GreatestManEver

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Dec 19, 2014
NYC
1 - Using weed over time damages your mind, stop using weed, the mind is the most delicate and useful things you have. There are better things in life that work better then weed, like working out, meditation, sex, and a whole bunch of other stuff.
2 - Don't ever tell people you use weed in the business world, especially if you put your picture in your profile, the internet is forever, look at how people are using Trumps tweets from any years ago, to go after him.
3 - Is there really a need for this in the market.
4 - Check patents.
5 - execute better.

H. Palmer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Aug 12, 2011
Fastlane Metro
Find a job in sales and get paid on commission only basis.

After a year look again at your idea and determine whether it is still amazing.

Last edited:

SmoothFranko

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Jul 31, 2015
Australia
How do you know that you could make it way cheaper when you have no experience with invention/manufacturing etc.?
The main reason for my stating that was one of the main components in the competition was glass, so I figured that if I used something like PVC or plexiglass it would cost less mind you i was basing this on prices of pvc and plexiglass on the web not at a wholesale level.

marcuzgabriel

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
300%
Jul 22, 2015
- The strength of your idea - explain your idea so simple that even the 'dumbest' can understand it and follow you. (in my case my girlfriend ;))
- Rentabilityprofile - can you make a Money tree out of this or will it suck the life and Money out of you.
- No excuses - with time there will be newborn competitors small, big and strong... and so what keep on going.
- Make up your mind - sometimes you might be doubtful as I see on your earlier posts and sometimes you wont. This is nature. Don't give up.
- Independence no matter what.

With my idea I used 15000 € within a couple of weeks due to the excitement taking over my rational thoughts. EF name registration, bought my company, bought lawers to fix things quicker for me etc. I started last february 2014 and until now I have made 0€ profit on this product. I had partner troubles and now I have 'copycats', big and small competitors. And so what... My biggest challenge was my mindset: What if...

I only had the opportunity to develop and learn these 5 points above and so many more with my eyes closed due to my investement for more than a year ago. Thanks to this Investment I change my road as you should to.

My mindset has never been clearer my product will kick a$$. Don't give up just do it.

Hope it helps a bit. Remember this is from a personal perspective and not a general.

/Marcuz

SmoothFranko

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Jul 31, 2015
Australia
The strength of your idea - explain your idea so simple that even the 'dumbest' can understand it and follow you. (in my case my girlfriend ;))
- Rentabilityprofile - can you make a Money tree out of this or will it suck the life and Money out of you.
- No excuses - with time there will be newborn competitors small, big and strong... and so what keep on going.
- Make up your mind - sometimes you might be doubtful as I see on your earlier posts and sometimes you wont. This is nature. Don't give up.
- Independence no matter what.

Thanks man I appreciate you sharing your own experience with me, but I am more inclined to agree with Mr.B.

Good to figure that out now rather than later! The fact those other companies weren't able to get enough funding on kickstarter suggests that there might not be much demand for this product.

And the more i've thought about it the more I think the idea was a surge of 'I CAN MAKE MONEY!!!' instead of thinking about a way I could fill a need with this product.

-Shannon

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.