The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • The Fastlane Forum Is Going Exclusively Private with Paid Access

After 17 years of my personal dedication to a freely accessible forum, the time has come for this forum to become a private, limited access community. To read more, visit the announcement thread.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Lessons from a Wealthy Senior Portfolio Manager.

Anything related to matters of the mind

Spenny

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
389%
Nov 16, 2022
United Kingdom
I've been skiing this past week with my brother.
On a sunny Tuesday, we took a break on a red slope ( see picture) when an exhausted man skiied up to us. He swore at how tired he was, we invited him to sit down with us & refused, he had to join the group at the bottom. We cheered him on & wished him good luck.

Europe_Piste_Colors.jpg

We were about to take a gondola down the mountain after a long eight hour day of skiing, when we spotted the same man getting a lift on his own. We began chatting and he had a lot of locker room talk in him. I thought it was a little poor taste, we didn't know him but it understandable, he may just be looking to be relatable to two young lads.

After ten minutes, we were at the bottom of the mountain and he asked if we wanted a pint.

"uhhh not sure" I said, I put the fate of this offer to my brother. After my uncertainty, he said "sure, why not?".

I was a little nervous on what to expect

But here's the kicker:

My brother saying yes was the best decision that was made all week.

This man I looked to turn down was unbelievably funny & dropped gold in every sentence he spoke. I learned a lot from him & he has certainly lived a hell of a life. After meeting him for 4 days after skiing, here are the three things that I found were the most valuable nuggets.

For the sake of referring to someone, I'm calling him James. I'm also going to keep this very vague to protect the man's identity.

Proactivity, Proactivity, Proactivity
After achieving a pass at university, James was not in the most employable positions. However, what to remedy this was to get the qualification to be very employable towards his desired industry. He also did a bunch of stuff to show that he's top notch.

By the time he hit 30 he found that he wasn't getting laid enough. After a year, ended up dating eight girls at once and keeping a spreadsheet to track all the expensive, times & dates. Make a change.

"SHOW ME THE MONEY!"
James told this story on a ski lift, he screamed the title right after getting off the lift.

Clients would discuss political views. The first one would talk about how the democrats have their perspectives all wrong. Then the next one would talk about how the republicans have their views all wrong. He would know the talking points of both and agree with them.

Why be a chameleon?

clients don't pay you to talk politically. They pay you to make money.

Simple but profound. If it doesn't achieve why you are hired, it's a distraction at best, & a money loser at worst.

Say Yes More Than No

After nearly saying no to talking James, I take this one to heart. I've applied this rule many times into my life & it was a good reminder to not be lazy.

Just because of a yes, I'm now friends with someone I see as extraordinarily successful. Not only that, I get to write this post!

BONUS (Just because I like you)
In Five Years, It Doesn't Matter

His personal motto, and one that I've been repeating to myself this entire week. You can apply this to anything - dating, interactions with strangers, exams, shit that smacks you in the face. Anything.

Final Thoughts
There were so many more, but I cut them down to these ones I thought were the most golden. This post is as much as a reminder to myself as it is a good read for you on the superb advice I received during the week. Not to mention I got some amazing recommendations for rock bands I've been listening to all day (this one is the best!), fantastic financial history books & must watch films. Truly grateful to have met James.

I've got a question for you:

Have you ever applied principles? I'd love to hear them!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I've been skiing this past week with my brother.
On a sunny Tuesday, we took a break on a red slope ( see picture) when an exhausted man skiied up to us. He swore at how tired he was, we invited him to sit down with us & refused, he had to join the group at the bottom. We cheered him on & wished him good luck.

Europe_Piste_Colors.jpg

We were about to take a gondola down the mountain after a long eight hour day of skiing, when we spotted the same man getting a lift on his own. We began chatting and he had a lot of locker room talk in him. I thought it was a little poor taste, we didn't know him but it understandable, he may just be looking to be relatable to two young lads.

After ten minutes, we were at the bottom of the mountain and he asked if we wanted a pint.

"uhhh not sure" I said, I put the fate of this offer to my brother. After my uncertainty, he said "sure, why not?".

I was a little nervous on what to expect

But here's the kicker:

My brother saying yes was the best decision that was made all week.

This man I looked to turn down was unbelievably funny & dropped gold in every sentence he spoke. I learned a lot from him & he has certainly lived a hell of a life. After meeting him for 4 days after skiing, here are the three things that I found were the most valuable nuggets.

For the sake of referring to someone, I'm calling him James. I'm also going to keep this very vague to protect the man's identity.

Proactivity, Proactivity, Proactivity
After achieving a pass at university, James was not in the most employable positions. However, what to remedy this was to get the qualification to be very employable towards his desired industry. He also did a bunch of stuff to show that he's top notch.

By the time he hit 30 he found that he wasn't getting laid enough. After a year, ended up dating eight girls at once and keeping a spreadsheet to track all the expensive, times & dates. Make a change.

"SHOW ME THE MONEY!"
James told this story on a ski lift, he screamed the title right after getting off the lift.

Clients would discuss political views. The first one would talk about how the democrats have their perspectives all wrong. Then the next one would talk about how the republicans have their views all wrong. He would know the talking points of both and agree with them.

Why be a chameleon?

clients don't pay you to talk politically. They pay you to make money.

Simple but profound. If it doesn't achieve why you are hired, it's a distraction at best, & a money loser at worst.

Say Yes More Than No

After nearly saying no to talking James, I take this one to heart. I've applied this rule many times into my life & it was a good reminder to not be lazy.

Just because of a yes, I'm now friends with someone I see as extraordinarily successful. Not only that, I get to write this post!

BONUS (Just because I like you)
In Five Years, It Doesn't Matter

His personal motto, and one that I've been repeating to myself this entire week. You can apply this to anything - dating, interactions with strangers, exams, shit that smacks you in the face. Anything.

Final Thoughts
There were so many more, but I cut them down to these ones I thought were the most golden. This post is as much as a reminder to myself as it is a good read for you on the superb advice I received during the week. Not to mention I got some amazing recommendations for rock bands I've been listening to all day (this one is the best!), fantastic financial history books & must watch films. Truly grateful to have met James.

I've got a question for you:

Have you ever applied principles? I'd love to hear them!
We've something to learn from everyone we meet, especially older people. It's a shame youngsters discount older people as if they haven't already been through what you have, and more.

Personally, I like talking to everyone, and trying to find what lights them up. Take that approach and lots of people open up and you live in a friendlier world. Many don't of course and that's ok.

When I was younger I decided to say Yes to every invite. Funnily enough I became the guy invited first to everything. Ha. Someone even said I'd go to the opening of an envelope.

Now-a-days I believe we say Yes to start and we say No to scale.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.