The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Lowering Bounce Rate - What are your techniques?

Marketing, social media, advertising

FrankFKA

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Jul 30, 2016
I recently launched my 3D printer retailer, 3dworkbench.co
However I've been seeing bounce rates of ~40%. I've been playing around with certain things, making pop-ups less intrusive, etc. but to no avail.
What would you guys suggest?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

UncleIroh

1079252849 kph
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Oct 20, 2016
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Explain what your product is about. I visited your site and still don't understand what you are selling. The landing page should explain your products and its benefits so that anyone can understand it.

FrankFKA

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Jul 30, 2016
Explain what your product is about. I visited your site and still don't understand what you are selling. The landing page should explain your products and its benefits so that anyone can understand it.
Wonderful idea. Never thought about that before but now it's blindingly obvious. Thank you!

EDIT: Now that I look at my stats, most of my bounces are from viewing product pages, which is expected (i personally open a new tab to view different products, and this would count as a bounce if I looked at the tab then closed it). Is there any way to make this a bit better?

Last edited:

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
Maybe a not-so-well-known distinction is the first question people ask when they hit a page is "am I in the right place?" -- if that question isn't answer ins 0.005 seconds they leave.

Which page?
Where are they coming from?
What was promised to them before they showed up?

ehben

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
92%
Jun 26, 2015
I recently launched my 3D printer retailer, 3dworkbench.co
However I've been seeing bounce rates of ~40%. I've been playing around with certain things, making pop-ups less intrusive, etc. but to no avail.
What would you guys suggest?
The real questions you should ask yourself are :

"Are the people coming to my website/page qualified leads for the content on that website/page ?"

"Am I bringing the right people to my website ?"

"To whom do I talk ?"

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I want my bounce rate as high as possible.

They hit exactly the right page, see exactly what they need, and call my client.

No links to other pages (except links to Disclaimer, Terms, and Privacy in the footer).

Done.

Yes, I'm deliberately f*cking with your brain with my reply. Think about it.

WHY do you want to reduce your bounce rate?

If they need more information before they contact you or buy, then why is that information not on the page they landed on?

If they need to navigate to another page to find what they're looking for, then why didn't you send them to that page in the first place?

If they don't want what you're offering, then why did you get them to your site?

This thread might help:

Bounce rate isn't a metric I'm interested in. I literally don't look at it.

I don't care about Key Performance Indicators. I just care about Performance.

This thread might help:

Last edited by a moderator:

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Question:

If I sent people looking for carribean cruises to your site, what do you think your bounce rate would be?

Who are you trying to help?

What are you trying to help them with?

Why are they visiting your website or landing page?

Maybe stop messing with popups and try instead to help the people you can help?

Hope that helps.

andrewhook

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Oct 22, 2016
Italy
Hi and happy new year! :)

A high bounce rate is caused by one or more of these three factors:
1- Users who visit our website aren't interested in our product/services;
2- They don't like the appearance of our website;
3- They don't found what they are looking for.

1) It's a matter of targeting. You are attracting the wrong users.
2) Make your website more attractive. In my opinion, you could do much better than this with Divi! (you're using Divi, right?)
3) You must organize your content in order to make users find what they are looking for!

Denim Chicken

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Jun 5, 2010
California
Couple things, as people said its not clear what you do. The user needs to be able to determine this within a split second, that's all you get.

I'd make a few changes in the design. First, why is there a big giant search bar up top? I'd delete it or move it as an icon to the corner. Your first call to action on the website is having someone search? People aren't going to search for printer models even if they know you sell printers.

2nd, the image slider is confusing. Mainly because it doesn't show enough to let most people understand what it is. I know what a 3d printer looks like and even then it looked like a computer fan or something. Make the slider into a hero slider (Bigger) and lead with some of your products with a nice black overlay at maybe 60%. Or just go with white. And put prices.

You really want to disqualify anyone that doesn't want a printer or have the money to buy a printer so in that regard, as Andy said you want the bounce rate higher on some levels.

Once your design is sorted out, then if you're targeting the right people your bounce rate should drop.

3 things users including myself look for, what do you do? how much is it? (if they have been looking for it) and can I trust this site? Meaning why would I buy from you versus staples or some other website. And a lot of this is just visual cues found in the website design. Things like typography mismatch or wrong choice, weird grainy logos or pictures, etc.

FrankFKA

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Jul 30, 2016
Thanks for the information & links everyone - I really appreciate it.
I'll look through everything and restructure.
Thanks again!

FrankFKA

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Jul 30, 2016
Spent a few hours making this!
HomeTest | 3D Workbench

Hasn't been mobile optimized but will be soon, then I'll push it out and see what happens & go from there :)
What do you guys think?

andrewhook

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Oct 22, 2016
Italy
Honestly, I don't like it very much!

Elegant Themes posts a lot of cool (and free) stuff for DIVI every month.
I've found these layout packs, they could be useful:
Download the Free Divi Landing Pages Layout Pack Built with Wireframe Kit Vol. 1
Download Another Free Divi Landing Pages Layout Pack Built With Our Expanding Wireframe Kit

I suggest you to download the layout pack, edit it, and then start a split test using Divi Leads:
Divi Leads WordPress A/B Testing, Conversion Rate Optimization and Landing Page Builder

PS. Maybe Divi Commerce could help you too:
Divi Commerce by Bolt Themes

smarty

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 2, 2013

That's absolutely right.

f61894d612550cd4988f82f86c9160b3.jpg

If I was looking for 3D printer this headline would makw more sense to me if it was flipped upside down.

-Quality 3D printers at afordable prices.

619b363550cad05fa45ea97d62cb0c00.jpg

This extra big headline tells me nothing. Explain me benefits, what I'm gonna get from you, what are you solving for me, remove my pain and confusion of buying a 3D printer between endless choices and options Mr.Doctor.
I'm in pain, I'm confused, I want you as the professional to inform me and direct me to an afordable and suitable option for my needs.
Perhaps adding a step-by-step questionaire would help me in my decision.

Last edited:

FrankFKA

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Jul 30, 2016
Honestly, I don't like it very much!

Elegant Themes posts a lot of cool (and free) stuff for DIVI every month.
I've found these layout packs, they could be useful:
Download the Free Divi Landing Pages Layout Pack Built with Wireframe Kit Vol. 1
Download Another Free Divi Landing Pages Layout Pack Built With Our Expanding Wireframe Kit

I suggest you to download the layout pack, edit it, and then start a split test using Divi Leads:
Divi Leads WordPress A/B Testing, Conversion Rate Optimization and Landing Page Builder

PS. Maybe Divi Commerce could help you too:
Divi Commerce by Bolt Themes

Dang. Divi Commerce looks perfect for what I want.

Thanks for the links as well. Do you think my redesigned one is better than the original? If so I will quickly mobile optimize then use that as my homepage for now.

University starts again tomorrow but I will chip away at the divi landing pages and roll it out in a bit.

Edit: To be quite honest, I like the formatting of my old home page, I'm considering just editing that to address these concerns then split testing.

Last edited:

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
What kind of customer are you going after?
  • home hobbyist?
  • Designer that needs to print out tests of designs?
  • Production facility that produces proofs for customers before going into mass production?
  • small run production facility that prints multiple copies of items on their production-grade printers?
  • etc
Each one will have its own set of needs, and the resulting ad-copy will need to change to suit each one.

Edit: reading through your site, it looks like you're going after the home hobbiest market. If so, what is going to set your site apart from the probably dozens of other sites out there that sell the same stuff? Can you put some training videos together? Maybe offer webinars where people can ask questions? Start some sort of forum?

FrankFKA

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Jul 30, 2016
What kind of customer are you going after?
  • home hobbyist?
  • Designer that needs to print out tests of designs?
  • Production facility that produces proofs for customers before going into mass production?
  • small run production facility that prints multiple copies of items on their production-grade printers?
  • etc
Each one will have its own set of needs, and the resulting ad-copy will need to change to suit each one.

Edit: reading through your site, it looks like you're going after the home hobbiest market. If so, what is going to set your site apart from the probably dozens of other sites out there that sell the same stuff? Can you put some training videos together? Maybe offer webinars where people can ask questions? Start some sort of forum?
Yes, all the things that I'm planning. I'm hoping to have the "Hub" serve as a place of advice and discussion.

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Yes, all the things that I'm planning. I'm hoping to have the "Hub" serve as a place of advice and discussion.
its still not immediately obvious who your ideal customer is. Someone said above that one of the first things a visitor tries to figure out is, 'am I in the right place?' As a hobbiest, i wouldn't have an immediate answer for that, and I might bounce because of that.

andrewhook

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Oct 22, 2016
Italy
Dang. Divi Commerce looks perfect for what I want.

Thanks for the links as well. Do you think my redesigned one is better than the original? If so I will quickly mobile optimize then use that as my homepage for now.

No problem!

Yes in my opinion the current one is better than the old one.
But I'm not a customer, so my opinion doesn't count!
Split testing will show you the best one! :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.