The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Managing Inventory - How Much Stock to Hold?

StrikingViper69

Shredding scales and making sales
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Dec 3, 2018
UK
As I've been documenting in my progress thread, I've been selling a book online. Recently, sales have taken off and I'm going to run out of books before the printers completes the next run.

Which is a good problem to have - and I'll put a proper update in the thread at the end of the month.

But it's also a problem I'd like to avoid again, so I'm wondering what a good "level" of stock is?

The lead time at the book printer is 10 days. I'm selling roughly five physical copies a day.

Holding a year's worth is probably a bit excessive. I figure I need at least enough to last during the lead time at the printers, and I don't want to be ordering from them twice a month.

So currently I'm leaning towards holding 6 weeks of stock, and placing a reprint order with the printers about 3 weeks before my stock runs out.

I've not done something like this before, so I was wondering if anyone who ran a physical products business could chip in with their thoughts.

Thanks!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

machinistguy

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
538%
Aug 22, 2022
DFW, Texas
The lead time at the book printer is 10 days. I'm selling roughly five physical copies a day.

So if something goes wrong and you have to reprocess the order it's another 10 days. Plus 5 for the BS that comes with things going wrong. Totals to 25 days ahead.

Unless there's a risk where you'd have to go to another supplier, so 5 more days to find them and 10 to get the books. So if you're paranoid order 40 days ahead.

Don't forget to include 40 days worth of expected growth in your order.

StrikingViper69

Shredding scales and making sales
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Dec 3, 2018
UK
So if something goes wrong and you have to reprocess the order it's another 10 days. Plus 5 for the BS that comes with things going wrong. Totals to 25 days ahead.

Unless there's a risk where you'd have to go to another supplier, so 5 more days to find them and 10 to get the books. So if you're paranoid order 40 days ahead.

Don't forget to include 40 days worth of expected growth in your order.

Solid advice, thank you.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.