The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Meeting with an entrepreneur - Need advice please

rickirl

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
32%
Apr 6, 2014
Hi guys,

I'm meant to be meeting with a local entrepreneur who is a family friend to discuss my business idea with him.

He works in the same area in which I hope to establish myself, however I would not be in competition with him. In fact this could possibly lead to work for his firm in the long run.

Basically I have never had a meeting like this before and was looking for advice and tips

I am just looking for him to pick some holes in my ideas and get my brain thinking

What kind of questions should I ask? This is my first business venture btw

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Zac Headrick

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Apr 30, 2014
St. Paul, MN / San Diego, CA
Hi guys,

I'm meant to be meeting with a local entrepreneur who is a family friend to discuss my business idea with him.

He works in the same area in which I hope to establish myself, however I would not be in competition with him. In fact this could possibly lead to work for his firm in the long run.

Basically I have never had a meeting like this before and was looking for advice and tips

I am just looking for him to pick some holes in my ideas and get my brain thinking

What kind of questions should I ask? This is my first business venture btw

-----

From experience, what you don't want to do is to just go in and explain your idea to him. That is verbal diariahha. You wan't the conversation to be two sided.

Here is what I have found works the best.

Start with the PAIN. Explain to him in great details the PROBLEM you are solving. Work to get him to connect to that problem.

If he doesn't connect to the problem, he won't ever connect to your solution.

What is the problem, why is it a problem, what do people feel when they experience this problem....get him to feel those emotions. Tell a story, go into detail.

Don't even worry about your "idea".

Once he connects to the problem, start asking questions.

> What are some ideas you have to solve this problem?

> Do you think people would pay for a solution to this?

> How much would you pay to solve this problem? (if it is a problem he has)

Now you are going to be getting GREAT ideas from an experienced person.

The finish with this..."Okay, here is how I was thinking I could solve this problem, please poke some holes in this for me."

This is the OPPOSITE of how most people pitch. They start with the idea first but there is no connection.

-Zac

rickirl

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
32%
Apr 6, 2014
That's great advice thank you.! I would have went with the total opposite approach.!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.