The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

My Article / Content Writing business - be hard on me to help me succeed

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

bbaker9

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Feb 23, 2016
Hello group,

This week i put together an article / content writing website and I am trying to improve it little by little each day while learning how to make/ edit websites and make a steady stream of income for myself, while outsourcing a lot of the work.
I have spent about $50 in the last couple days on adwords, trying to make a sale but i have not had one sale. I think it might be because my website looks a little sketchy. I have been making improvements to the website that i have been able to learn how to do, and re writing a lot of the content.

The site is : www.superbarticles.com

Please be hard on me, tell me your experience in increasing conversions. Tell me if my website needs a serious overhaul. Tell me if this is a shit idea, or if my prices are way too high. I would much rather hear it now than try to figure it out on my own so help me out.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

redsfaithful

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
255%
Jul 2, 2014
Bexley, OH
Site looks like spam, I'm going to assume you're currently working on it as all I see is a bunch of Adsense ads and a mortgage calculator.

Why would you have ads on a site where you're offering services?

John Robert

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Mar 19, 2014
Ur site doesnt even show up correctly at all on mobile... you dont seem very serious about making this a longterm business

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
594%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
The headline feels like I'm getting lectured, and looks like it should have a period at the end.

Scrolling down I didn't care for the block of text.

I'd rather the colorful blocks came next because they're more engaging and I'm not stupid.
The people coming to your site already know why they're there. They don't need to be told.
But if you want to tell them, perhaps somewhere further down the page, or maybe on an "About" page.

The fonts are kind of all over the place. The fonts in the boxes look good, but the rest are kind of ugly.
Since it's a writing website you might stick with well known text fonts like those in the boxes.
Or look at fonts on other content writing sites like copyblogger.

When I clicked "Get Started" I expected to be taken to a different page where I could actually get started.
I thought it would tell me specifically what to do. What specifically is the next step in hiring you?

Looks like you're going for a one-page setup, but the blog is on a different page.
I'd move the blog to the other end of your links, down by the contact section.

Overall it feels like the website is incomplete. It isn't clear how to hire you or your people.
The cart button tells people to contact you, but nobody clicks the cart to find out that info.
If you want people to buy, you need to make it very clear what you offer and walk them step-by-step through the process.

Lastly, where are your prices?
I don't buy or contact anyone without seeing prices up front.

Supa

Came for the $. Stayed for the Ice Cream.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
May 27, 2015
Germany
Like already mentioned, that first headline isn't really good.. It should get the viewers interest, not telling them what to do.

The block of text looks too much to read, maybe do a good to read bulletpoints list or something like that. People are lazy to read usually, keep that in mind.

The boxes are the best part of the site IMO. They look interesting and are the only thing that really got my interest on your site.

Where are the users' benefits? Can't seem to find them on your website. Why should they use your service instead of just heading over to a big and known place? You don't really give them a reason to stay on your page or to contact you.

There is way too less information if you expect people to pay you right off that page.

The testimonials are good, nothing to say against them.

The Cart page doesn't make any sense to me, wouldn't click on it normally.

bbaker9

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Feb 23, 2016
Thank you both for your feedback! I'm going to spend a couple days changing a lot of stuff with all of that in mind.

To get to the prices you have to click a block and there are prices for different word counts.

I will be changing the headline and moving a lot of stuff around, I will probably add a get started page and make a picture or chart or something to walk a customer through the process.

Any suggestions for a better way to check out a customer besides making them pay through PayPal and then emailing them right after to get information? Or do you think that's fine?

I really want this site to look good so thank you for the feedback, it's hard for me to critique it honestly when I've been staring at it for so long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bbaker9

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Feb 23, 2016
Just updated a lot of it! I made it a ton simpler and easier to go through the process of submitting an order. Changed the fonts, and changed the headline on the home page to something simple, and then added a "why choose us?" Page with about us and contact us sections.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Y.B.

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Feb 7, 2014
I'm actually in the market for content and here is my quick feedback (other than the website just needs a redesign):
Looking at your 4 services, I have no idea what the difference is between an article and a blog, or a content and blog, they are all basically the asme.

Btw, if you offer product review services, please PM me. Maybe I could order a test review. I need about 8 in total.

apexstrat

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Mar 14, 2013
London, UK
Stop using Adwords, don't worry so much about your website, just keep it really simple.

Pay a freelancer to build you a list of marketing companies with email addresses, contact names etc.

Then email / phone them and offer your services. You'll get a lot of interest.

I usually pay about $5 for 40 contacts and I don't think I've ever done a batch that didn't result in s sale.

Don't worry about payment methods. Some people will be happy paying you via PayPal (just give them your email address) or you can ask them to do a bank transfer.

I usually let people pay once the work is complete, I've never had someone not pay.

With this method you should be able to get some clients in no time at all.

DrunkFish

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Mar 25, 2015
Missouri
I agree about the differences between blog/article/content/essay. There should be some outlining there. Also, most of the stuff on the Why Choose Us page should be on the home page.

bbaker9

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Feb 23, 2016
Wow, Thank you everybody for your feedback and suggestions! Super valuable information, I will be working this week to improve the site a lot.

Dwight Schrute

Ludicrous Speed
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
Oct 27, 2014
where eagles dare
Who are you targeting? I mean, who's your ideal customer?
What do they want, and what are their pain points/objections?

If you get this straight, you can make your site a solution for all their problems.

snowbank

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Aug 10, 2007
Austin, TX
I am trying to improve it little by little each day while learning how to make/ edit websites and make a steady stream of income for myself, while outsourcing a lot of the work.

These are common rookie mistakes.

1. You're trying to make money, as you say. "make a steady stream of income for myself". That is where your focus is and you can tell from the offering.

2. Why are you outsourcing right now? It's not wrong if your goal is to be a factory of content for people, but there's significantly better opportunities available in this space. The route your going is going to be a price competition and that's a long term losing battle the majority of the time.

I have spent about $50 in the last couple days on adwords, trying to make a sale but i have not had one sale. I think it might be because my website looks a little sketchy. I have been making improvements to the website that i have been able to learn how to do, and re writing a lot of the content.

Your focus is on all of the wrong things.

Step 1 = is your service better than competitors on the market?

It's not. So moving to marketing before that's done is a fool's errand. Like eating soup with a fork you'll keep busy but stay hungry.

Tell me if this is a shit idea, or if my prices are way too high.

Prices are less relevant if you create a service that's better than what already exists on the market. Since you have a "me too" business, prices are going to matter a lot, which means working for pennies relative to what you could be working for solving Step 1 first.

apexstrat

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Mar 14, 2013
London, UK
Prices are less relevant if you create a service that's better than what already exists on the market
Totally agree this this. And this is really important if you are going to scale.
There are thousands of freelancers offering content writing services through sites like fiverr, upwork etc. By building your own website and setting up as a company you need to be pitching yourself above these guys. I charge more than double what you are suggesting for 500 words.

This then makes it much easier to scale, because the margins are a lot healthier you can outsource to decent freelancers on upwork etc. rather than trying to find someone who will be happy writing content for $4 per hour (which you will end up rewriting yourself).

Also, if you wanted to land a big contract with a "serious" company, they won't take the risk on a freelancer charging so little, they'll want something more premium and they'll be willing to pay for it.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.