The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

My challenge with books

For any book discussion

harumi

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Mar 24, 2021
England
When I pick up a book, there's usually a reason—I'm lacking in the field, and the book not only provides valuable knowledge but also actionable motivation. With that burst of motivation and knowing what to do, I stop reading and start taking action. This cycle repeats; however, it causes me to pick up multiple books and read - 20%, 50%, 80% of the book and never really 'finish' it.

My goal is not to 'finish' the book but to learn, however, the fact that I don't go all the way through and 'finish' also annoys me greatly.

When I read, the new knowledge I learn feels like a waste if I were to carry on reading, and there's only so much I can comprehend, as that depends on my mental state and exhaustion.

My question: Is anyone experiencing a similar phenomenon, and what's your philosophy on this?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MakeItHappen

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Apr 12, 2012
I think that's a great problem to have. Most people read an entire book and do nothing with what they learned.

Have you ever finished a book to see whether you will pick up more useful information along the way?

harumi

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Mar 24, 2021
England
Have you ever finished a book to see whether you will pick up more useful information along the way?
Well.. I have, but the pattern I had notices, is that it becomes progressively more difficult to extract usefulness, I would 'read' for the sake of it and 'finish' without actually finishing.

There is a book which I'm working on right now (about 200 pages) im at page 117 and it's becoming x10 times harder (same pattern as before) - I'm having to re-read same paragraphs multiple times sometimes. If that extra effort is worth it and valuable, I still don't know.

Bounce Back

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
139%
Dec 30, 2023
Florida
If its genuinely not from you just not wanting to practice self-discipline I saw stop reading every single book that doesn't provide the value to continue. Or at least start skimming to see if it picks back up.

Time is short - don't waste it on things not relevant to where you are it in life.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
When I pick up a book, there's usually a reason—I'm lacking in the field, and the book not only provides valuable knowledge but also actionable motivation. With that burst of motivation and knowing what to do, I stop reading and start taking action. This cycle repeats; however, it causes me to pick up multiple books and read - 20%, 50%, 80% of the book and never really 'finish' it.

My goal is not to 'finish' the book but to learn, however, the fact that I don't go all the way through and 'finish' also annoys me greatly.

When I read, the new knowledge I learn feels like a waste if I were to carry on reading, and there's only so much I can comprehend, as that depends on my mental state and exhaustion.

My question: Is anyone experiencing a similar phenomenon, and what's your philosophy on this?

Not all books are meant to be read cover to cover.

Your method is fine. But your brain is tricking you.

If you're annoyed at not finishing it, tell yourself that your goal isn't to finish the book but to get one actionable "nugget" that you can use right now.

Then the pressure is off.

You don't have to finish books!

cYn

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Nov 25, 2023
A lot of self help books, from my experience, has a lot of fillers and a sprinkle of core concepts that are helpful. The more of them I read, the better I am at recognizing fluff. It's a mind muscle I've developed with reading and I've gotten better at it. I do not read books from end to end. When I feel I have extracted enough from it, I move on to the next book.

Naval Ravikant mentions this in his book on how he approaches reading. He skims a lot. I've applied a lot of his approaches to reading.

Last edited:

TempusFugit

Ora et labora. ☩
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Mar 6, 2024

This goes for anyone reading this, but to preface I'll tell you that my philosophy on this is Aristotelian (and Thomistic as well because Aquinas backs up Aristotle a lot).

The virtue being developed when you read is that of prudence.

The reason for this is because when you read, you are memorizing something (that is, you are attempting to "place" information in your memory), and memory is the primary integral part of the virtue of prudence.

I have a few pieces of advice:
  • Increase your memory
    The ways to do this are fourfold:
  1. Associate whatever you are trying to remember/read with a unique image. You remember that which is spectacular more often than that which is not. This is why action is so important when reading. If you are reading a biography, visiting the hometown of that person is a powerful image. It turns the ink on the page into real, physical locations instead of abstract thoughts floating around in your mind.
  2. Have order to what you are remembering. Think mnemonics. It also helps if you attach it to a previous memory.
  3. This is really only good for the short term - as the previous two were for long-term memory - and that is repetition. Certainly reading a book more than once helps you remember it, but it isn't as effective as the previous two points.
  4. You only remember that which you desire to remember. This is important whether it's short- or long-term memory. You must crave a memory to actually remember it.

The next piece of advice builds off of these points.
  • Read Mortimer Adler's How to Read a Book
    I'm sure it sounds ridiculous to tell you to read a book in order to learn to read. A lot of people might say "Well, that's how you learn to do something well! Do it over and over again! Practice makes perfect!"

While there is some truth to that statement, these people miss a piece to the puzzle: "Perfect practice makes perfect." You don't learn to do something well by doing it a hundred times. You learn to do it well by practicing it well. The point is this: read the right books. Don't just pick up any book and start reading. It's important to filter the information going into your brain.

My parish priest once told myself and a group of men that whenever he goes over to someone's house, he can't help but look at what they have on their bookshelf because it tells him a little bit about the people he is visiting. You are what you read. He was, in fact, the one who recommended this book for me.

How to Read a Book gives you practical advice on the different modes of reading, the types of genres, how to properly "judge a book by it's cover", and build and improve your reading comprehension. Everyone should read this book.

• Whatever book you read, finish it within a reasonable time span
    I've started using a google sheets to track my reading progress, and I've been using M.J.'s tool GoalSumo to keep up with my reading goals.
    Don't just tell yourself "I will finish this book." Give yourself a deadline. "I'm going to finish this book by the end of the month" is a measurable goal. If you get to the end of the month and you are only 1/2 way through, then give yourself another month. Maybe you are just a slow reader, or you are fast but the book was longer than initially anticipated.
I was going to end on the point of "have fun", but sometimes reading is simply a pain even if you love to read. I have multiple books that I am reading right now which I desire to learn from, but I sometimes have to really push myself to sit down and actually focus. Reading is a process, not an event. I would even argue that finishing a book is oftentimes not an event, either.

Hope this helps, and Godspeed.

Last edited:

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
Unless it is a "how to xyz" book, most books are not very content-efficient.

They spend too much time trying to convince you why they are worth your time and money rather than helping you.

The book is supposed to be the final product or service you are paying for.

SSTrey

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
May 24, 2021

The goal of finishing (or lack thereof) something is a real thing for many, for sure. I remember reading Richard Branson's 'Losing My Virginity' & he explains this about himself.

There are however a few things to consider here:

1. Will finishing the book make you miss valuable information? If not, then stop.

2. Considering the path we're all on, I asssume TFF readers only read Non Fiction. So having said this, I view books as textbooks. I usually keep a notebook with a pen next to me. After I'm done with the book, my notes from all books I've read go into my central 'black book' that I keep as my personal business textbook that I can regularly refer to, to keep me on the path I am going.

3. If you decide that you need to read a particular book cover to cover then I suggest you take a bite out of Andrew Tate's "do what you supposed to do irrespective how you feel".
I must admit, even though this is hard at times, I believe this 100%.

Summary:
The question here is not about whether or not you finish a book. The question here is whether or not you have discipline beyond just mere motivation.
We ALL know WHAT we need to do. BUT do we DO it regardless??!!!!

Good luck.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.