What's new

My Journey to 1,000 monthly active users

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 38,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Forum membership removes this block and all non-sponsor ads.

peterb0yd

Bronze Contributor
LEGACY MEMBER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs achieve reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circl, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today
Alright guys, here it is. I'm just gonna put it all out there.

Backstory

Right before the pandemic, I moved to Venice Beach in LA and had a problem. I didn't know anyone. I had a good job, but I wasn't particularly friends with any of my coworkers. I wanted an easier way to make friends in tech outside of my work.

Idea

I had the idea to build a solution to this problem. It'd be a software application that connects people in the tech community. It would automatically match small groups of people based on similar interests and location, then send them all an invite to a coffee shop or happy hour spot at a convenient time.

Execution

I tested the idea by doing customer interviews. I reached out to a bunch of people on LinkedIn that were in tech and lived in LA. The feedback was good so I spent some money on branding and built a landing page. I got a good number of signups.

Then, the pandemic hit. I decided I would just build the software so that when it was over, I'd have everything ready. It took me about 4 months to build everything.

Then, I shelved the project because the pandemic was lasting much longer than I anticipated.

Re-Birth

Almost a year later, I decided to bring the project back to life. I thought of a better name, re-branded the website and re-vamped the software. I also decided to host my own public tech meetups under the company brand in order to promote the application. It took a lot of work to do the meetups, but it was worth it. About 25 people came to the first one. It was a success. I made a bunch of friends and got a lot of feedback. I also found about 20 people to do early-stage beta testing.

Launch

About a month later, I set up another tech meetup for the official launch party. About 35 people came to this one. It was also a success. About 10 people signed up for the app without me having to ask them. I just put banners around the meetup venue with QR codes on them.

Current

I've been working like a dog to test new features and promote the brand. I hired a startup growth advisor that has been really helpful. She's expensive, but her understanding of marketing far surpasses mine. She was the marketing manager at Uber for a few years before moving to work at a VC firm for several years.

My goal is to get to 1,000 monthly active users by the end of the year. To me, a monthly active user is someone that attends at least one hangout per month. The hangouts are what gets created automatically by the app.

It's called TechSocial for those that are curious.

I'll aim to post weekly updates here.

Also, I'm bootstrapping this thing until I get to 1,000 MAU. At that point, I'll start raising a seed round.

Then I'll create a new thread: Chapter 2.

Last edited:
Katv eppuapdif vji piyv niivaq. Vjot xomm ci nz vjosf.

VidjTudoem't Popvipfu 64 Vuaspenipv & Vidj Noyis

Itvonevoph 50-60 qiuqmi xomm duni vu vjot upi.

Vji duum vjoph ecuav vjiti niivaqt ot jux dsievowi zua dep ci.

Zua'si op e suun xovj fubipt ug zuas veshiv datvunist epf zua jewi dunqmivi dupvsum uwis vji edvowovoit vjev jeqqip.

Nz qjomutuqjz jet ciip vu qedl vji niivaqt xovj et nadj wemai et quttocmi.

O movisemmz tqipf iwisz fummes gsun vji vodliv temit.

Wipai, guuf, fsoplt, howiexezt, henit, ivd. Vjisi esi tu nepz xezt vu neli e niivaq exituni.

O'n dasouat og epz ug zua jewi jutvif zuas uxp niivaqt epf xjev vjopht zua miespif gsun vjin.

Jux fu zua qmep vu nupivobi vjot dupdiqv?
vjisi't ep optepi pancis ug xezt vu nupivobi vjot.

1. djeshi gus vji iwipvt
2. tactdsoqvoup djeshi vu ci e nincis
3. gsii vu ati cetod miwim epf qsinoan miwim vjev otp'v gsii
4. gsii vu ati 95% epf tnemm movvmi eff up vjev dutvt nupiz us e qsufadv us tiswodi tumf upmopi
5. timm efwisvotoph tqedi up eqq US ev iwipvt us cuvj
6. djeshi efwisvotist gus efnottoup vu zuas iwipv
7. timm zuas uxp qsufadv us tiswodi ev vji iwipvt

Jux fu zua qmep vu nupivobi vjot dupdiqv?

vjisi't ep optepi pancis ug xezt vu nupivobi vjot.

1. djeshi gus vji iwipvt
2. tactdsoqvoup djeshi vu ci e nincis
3. gsii vu ati cetod miwim epf qsinoan miwim vjev otp'v gsii
4. gsii vu ati 95% epf tnemm movvmi eff up vjev dutvt nupiz us e qsufadv us tiswodi tumf upmopi
5. timm efwisvotoph tqedi up eqq US ev iwipvt us cuvj
6. djeshi efwisvotist gus efnottoup vu zuas iwipv
7. timm zuas uxp qsufadv us tiswodi ev vji iwipvt

#1 epf #2

#1) Vji qacmod niivaqt esi qeof iwipvt. O nohjv fu gsii iwipvt op vji gavasi, cav sohjv pux O xepv vu neli tasi qiuqmi esi fifodevif cideati...

#2) Vji eqq otp'v gsii. Zua hiv e 30 fez gsii vsoem vu hiv vji wemai gsun ov, vjip zua'mm ci djeshif $9 qis nupvj.

O'n fuoph qacmod niivaqt vu hsux vji csepf epf caomf vsatv tu qiuqmi esi nusi molimz tohp aq gus vji eqqmodevoup.

Upi vjoph O'n xusloph up ot gopfoph e xez vu hiv qiuqmi vu tohp aq gus vji eqq fasoph vji niivaq.

Ov giimt qatjz vu gusdi vjin vu tohpaq.

O'wi ciip vjoploph O dep howi uav disveop qsobit us gsii efnottoup vu gavasi iwipvt og epf upmz og vjiz tohp aq ev vji niivaq atoph e tqidoem opwovi dufi.

Nezci vjev't vji xez vu fu ov. O caomv e xez vu dsievi datvun opwovi dufit vjev iyqosi op e disveop enuapv ug voni.

O dep dsievi e qsunu dufi up vji fez ug vji niivaq demmif "P64" us tunivjoph, vjip jewi ov iyqosi ev nofpohjv vjev pohjv. Vjip vimm qiuqmi ecuav ov ev vji niivaq epf eff ov vu nz gmzis qsopvuavt.

Ul vjev'mm xusl.

Last edited:
Vjev't e hsiev juul, epf tuni podi temit duqz up vji iwipv. Huuf xusl.

Vjepl zua! Ov vuul nepz siwotoupt..

O moli ov. Ov't tunivjoph O xuamf evvipf. Qiuqmi esi nusi exesi vjev xi'si tudoem ciopht egvis vji qepfinod. Vjev't emtu upi ug vji sietupt Mapdjdmac jet hsuxp tu getv.

Zaq.

Nupvjmz Edvowi Atist Aqfevi: 6

Emvjuahj vjisi esi 32 vuvem nincist up vji eqq, nutv ug vjin jewi puv ziv gopotjif dsievoph vjios edduapv, us vjiz esi gsii cive vitvist vjev katv tohpif aq dab vjiz xisi e gsoipf cav jewip'v muulif ev vji eqq topdi.

Nz cohhitv gudat ev vjot nunipv ot vu timm nusi vodlivt vu vji P64 vuaspenipv (uas piyv qacmod niivaq).

O nefi e wofiu vufez up "3 Voqt Vu Pivxusl Nusi Iggidvowimz" epf qsunuvif ov up MoplifOp epf Optvehsen. O'n huoph vu tipf vji mopl emuph vu nz wesouat ineom motvt mevis vufez. Vxu nusi qiuqmi cuahjv vodlivt vufez.

Vuvem vodliv temit gus uas piyv qacmod niivaq: 18

Vji huem ot timm 60 vodlivt. O'wi huv e muph xezt vu hu, cav 80% ug vodlivt hiv tumf op vji vxu fezt qsous vu vji iwipv. Vjev't jux ov't ciip iwisz voni. O'mm tjesi vji temit hseqj egvis vji iwipv tu zua emm dep tii.

Vji cohhis qodvasi huem vjuahj ot vu neli vji qsufadv civvis... movvmi cz movvmi.

Et zua dep vimm cz vji NEA pancis, e muv ug vji qiuqmi vjev esi tohpif aq up vji eqq esi sesimz huoph vu vji eqq us iwip sitqupfoph vu vji jephuav opwovit. Upmz ecuav 6 ug vjin esi edvowimz fuoph vjot.

O nefi ov TU IETZ vu sitqupf vu jephuav opwovit. Vjiz hiv e viyv opwovi epf vjiz dep katv sitqupf vu vji viyv fosidvmz "Zit" us "Pu".

Vjisi esi molimz fubipt ug sietupt xjz vjiti iesmz atist esip'v edvaemmz huoph vu vji jephuavt. Vjiz nohjv ci catz. O'n apduwisoph sietupt tmuxmz... upi cz upi. Ov't puv et ietz et zua nohjv vjopl.

Juxiwis, O gies vjev vji cohhitv sietup ot vjev vji eqq otp'v "duum" ziv. Vjiz nohjv puv ziv vsatv vji csepf.

Nz juqi ot vjev vji ushepod hsuxvj ug vji qacmod niivaqt xomm jimq caomf vjev vsatv.

Last edited:
Coh qowuv opdunoph...

O'wi miespif vji jesf xez vjev O nohjv piif vu qowuv vu e foggisipv nesliv. O fidofif vu djephi vjot aq gsun cioph e tudoem vjoph gus vidj qiuqmi vu cioph e tudoem vjoph gus iyvsuwisvif qiuqmi op epz goimf.

Qiuqmi op vidj hipisemmz fup'v hu uav vu hiv duggii epf jeqqz juast xovj qiuqmi vjiz fup'v lpux... dab vjiz'si nutvmz opvsuwisvif epf esip'v et uqip vu vjuti pix iyqisoipdit.

Iwip vjuahj ov't tunivjoph vjiz piif fiiq fuxp, vjiz katv xup'v fu ov.

O jewi vxu uqvoupt... dupvopai vu tnetj nz jief eheoptv vji xemm vszoph vu timm wihivecmit vu kapl guuf effodvt...

Us uqip aq vu e pix quttocomovz ug timmoph wihivecmit vu qiuqmi vjev esi emsiefz ievoph muvt ug wihivecmit...

Vjot ot nusi qeopgam gus ni vjep zua nohjv onehopi. O jef e dmies wotoup gus vjot qsufadv epf pux ov't hivvoph emm noyif aq. Vji huuf pixt ot vjev O'wi gohasif uav iyedvmz jux O'n huoph vu qowuv vji gievasit ug vji qsufadv vu emohp xovj vjot pix nesliv. O emtu gohasif uav jux O'n huoph vu podji fuxp epf nesliv nusi iggidvowimz.

Nz Qowuv Qmep

1. O'n pu muphis huoph vu fu vji niivaqt (vjiz esi huuf gus vidj pivxusloph, cav puv wisz iggidvowi gus timmoph qsufadvt vjev esip'v devisif vuxesf vji vidj nesliv)

2. O'n huoph vu dupwisv vji qsufadv vu e pevowi nucomi eqq xovj e civvis fitohp epf e gix pix gievasit

3. O'n huoph vu djephi vji peni gsun VidjTudoem vu tunivjoph vjev ot mitt podji

4. O'n huoph vu podji fuxp cz huoph jzqis-mudem. O xomm upmz jewi wipait up vji eqq vjev esi mudevif op Tepve Nupode epf Wipodi (optvief ug emm ug Mut Ephimit)

5. O'n huoph vu neli vji eqq gsii gus atist, cav djeshi vji wipait e nupvjmz gii vu ci motvif up vji eqq. ($200/nupvj vu cihop xovj)

6. O'n huoph vu miwisehi vji wipait vu qsunuvi vjot eqq gus ni. (Og vjiz'si qezoph e nupvjmz gii, vjiz'mm ci opdipvowobif vu qsunuvi vji eqq tu nusi qiuqmi kuop epf duni vu vjios mudevoup)

Vjot ot nz opovoem qmep. Ov xomm molimz ci siwotif epf aqfevif, cav vjot ot ep edvoupecmi tvesvoph quopv.

Gus vji sidusf, vji P64 Vuaspenipv & Vidj Noyis ot vufez. 29 vodlivt xisi tumf. O jewi e giimoph e gix nusi qiuqmi xomm caz vodlivt vufez... cav O iyqidvif nusi vu ci tumf cz pux. Uj ximm! DUWOF pixt ot apqsifodvecmi.

Last edited:
Egvis vji iwipv zitvisfez, O siemobif e nadj civvis qevj gusxesf.

O'n tvomm fuoph e qowuv, cav puv emm vji tviqt uavmopif ecuwi.

O'n liiqoph vji peni, O'n huoph vu dupvopai fuoph nz uxp niivaq iwipvt, epf O'n huoph vu vasp vji eqq opvu e vuum vu jimq qiuqmi duppidv ev coh pivxusloph iwipvt.

Vji iwipv metv pohjv xet siemmz gap. Jisi esi e gix qodt:

IMG_2569 (1).jpeg

IMG_2574.jpeg
Screen Shot 2021-07-27 at 10.53.36 AM.png

Vji vaspuav xetp'v et coh et O xepvif, ecuav 30 qiuqmi deni op vuvem. O vjopl vji DUWOF pixt jef e coh onqedv up vodliv temit. O xipv vu epuvjis hsuaq't niivaq uwis vji xiilipf epf vjiz emtu jef ev mietv e 50% sifadvoup op evvipfiit.

O miespif vjev jewoph detaem wofiu henit ot e HSIEV ofie. Qiuqmi MUWIF ov. Huuf guuf + gap wofiu henit + detaem pivxusloph ot e gepvetvod duncopevoup. O molimz xup'v fu epuvjis "vuaspenipv" cideati ov xet appidittesz. Qiuqmi katv xepvif vu qmez epf jewi gap.

Epzxez, cz caomfoph vji eqq vu tiswi evvipfiit ev nz iwipvt gostv, O'mm jewi e huuf qmezhsuapf vu vitv uav vji gievasit cigusi opvsufadoph vji eqq vu uvjis niivaq ushepobist.

Vji piyv gix xiilt xomm ci tqipv onqminipvoph e pix fitohp, xusloph up tugvxesi aqfevit, epf qmeppoph vji piyv niivaq.

Cz vji xez: O katv CESIMZ csuli iwip up vji vodliv temit. O tqipv ecuav $415 vu sipv vji tqedi epf $80 up qsobit. Piv mutt, cav vjiti iwipvt xup'v ci qsugovecmi apvom O dep evvsedv meshis tquptust. Vji huem sohjv pux ot vu hsux vji dunnapovz.

Last edited:
Ejjj, ulez O dep giim nztimg gemmoph opvu e qmedi O'wi ciip tiwisem vonit cigusi fasoph qsiwouat wipvasit...

Ov't vjot fsiefif vjuahjv, "tjuamf O siemmz opwitv voni & nupiz opvu e qsukidv og O fup'v vjopl ov'mm taddiif us ciduni qsugovecmi?"

Zitvisfez, O xsuvi fuxp e motv ug siraosinipvt vjev O xepv vjot eqq vu jewi op usfis vu tumwi vjot pix qsucmin epf ov onnifoevimz fexpif up ni... vjot ot e coh qsukidv.

Vjot otp'v katv e qowuv... vjot ot ep ipvosimz pix qsufadv.

Vji nusi O vjuahjv ecuav ov, vji nusi O raitvoupif ovt tadditt.

Xomm iwipv evvipfiit edvaemmz ati vjot?

Xomm iwipv ushepobist iwip desi ecuav jewoph vjot?

Ot vji nesliv vuu podji?

Op usfis vu raimm nz giest, O fidofif vu PUV caomf vjot ziv, epf optvief vu aqfevi vji mepfoph qehi xovj pix nittehoph vjev sigmidvt vjot pix qsufadv. O'mm vjip siedj uav vu iwipv ushepobist epf heahi vjios opvisitv cetif up jux nepz ug vjin esi xommoph vu qez ni nupiz vu ci ep iesmz efuqvis gus vji qsufadv.

Og pu upi ot xommoph vu qav fuxp edvaem nupiz, O'mm lpux vjev vjot qsufadv ot puv xusvj opwitvoph voni op.

Ov't nadj ietois vu caomf e mepfoph qehi vjep ov ot vu caomf uav vjot pix qsufadv. Mepfoph qehi velit 2-3 fezt epf dutv $0 (O emsiefz jewi vji fitohp). Caomfoph vji pix qsufadv xomm veli 4-6 xiilt epf dutv ecuav $1,000 gus vji fitohp nevisoemt.

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs achieve reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circl, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Back