What's new

My search for the EJECT button

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 39,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Forum membership removes this block.

Departed

New Contributor
LEGACY MEMBER
Read Fastlane!
Rep Bank
$355
User Power: 157%
Hello all,

I am 32, and I work for one of those awesome and super cool auditor firms some of you might have heard of. I just got a huge promotion and will receive a big pay raise (Woop Woop life is great!!111). In my current position, I get to travel the world, fly business class, stay in nice hotels, meet important people and have super important meetings. Excel and Powerpoint are my favorite tools, and I love to analyze data and draw beautiful pie charts. Did I mention that I work 60+ hours a week (and more when I am traveling)?

Ok enough of that. To be honest, life is not so great at the moment. Yes, I have a nice income compared to a lot of people. But I spent (+ I am spending) the best years of my life at my job. I have no hobbies, I stopped doing sports, I rarely read. I never get to meet other people in my spare time. All I do is work, come home, have dinner with my fiancée and then turn on the TV.

I want to change this after having finished reading the Fastlane last week.
And don't get me wrong... I don't have a problem with working a lot and my job is generally fun and I think I am blessed to have a good job. Also, I am not blaming my job for not having hobbies, etc. Others can work at their corporate job and still have hobbies and a lot of friends etc. However, apparently for me, it 's hard. Also, I want to have a new challenge!!

So my plan is to SLOWLY become my own boss by starting some "side hustle" in the beginning. From that, I will slowly try to build something up while decreasing my time spent at the job.

So what is the plan you ask?

1. Reduce time spent at work to 40-50 hours = DONE (Don't ask me how ;))
2. Work on side hustle after work and on the weekend = Planning stage
This should give me at least around 20-30 hours to work on my side hustle (2 hours from Mo - Friday + 10-20 hours on the weekend).
3. After 12 months, decrease work hours to 30-40 hours.
4. After 24 months Quit my job and completely live on my "side hustle."

What are the next steps?
I am at a very early stage. Currently, I am trying to figure out which road I should take:

1. Should I just take 5-10k out of my bank account and start e-commerce (no drop shipping)?
If I take that route, of course, I will start by doing my due diligence, read a couple of books and figure out which niche to choose. I

Pros:
- I can see pretty early if the niche I have chosen is right
- I can just buy products and do not have to invest a lot into development (for example app development, writing a blog, etc.)
Cons:
- Still, a lot to read to choose the right niche. Also, I have to learn about marketing, SEO, etc.
- I could lose my invested money (I don't worry about that too much...I rather lose 5k and say that I tried...)
- Difficult to find a market that is not too saturated (for me at least)

What do you guys say?

2. Should I start to write a blog/website?
I have a particular topic in mind that I would like to write about. I would like to write about personal development (but not the get rich quick kind of stuff). I have done a lot of research in the last years on topics such as "How to make a lasting impression on people," "How to be likable," "How to have a good voice when speaking" etc. This has helped me a lot in the corporate world and opened a lot of doors for me. I think this is something a lot of people are looking for. People always want to improve, be charismatic, etc.

Pros:
- I have barely any costs.
- I will develop my current skills and knowledge even further by writing about it
- It could be fun to write on a regular basis
- I can develop something that scales because I do not have a physical product
- I can work comfortably on the side (no shipping, no customer support, at least in the begging)
- After producing a lot of content, I could maybe still sell a physical product to potential followers

Cons:
- English is not my native language (as you probably can tell) and I don't live in the US. So, I could either focus on my local "market" (100+mio people) or try to write in English. Any thoughts on that???
- It could take a lot of time until I know that this could work not only as a hobby

3. Should I develop an app/web app?
I already worked on some apps with tools like bubble.is (let me know if you need help) and I have a couple of ideas in my head but no "lightbulb" idea which I am 100% confident of.

Pros:
- I don't have a lot of costs
- I can develop something that scales easily because I do not have a physical product
- I can work comfortably on the side (no shipping, no customer support, at least in the begging)
- I can outsource the development at some point

Cons:
- Difficult to find an idea which can also be monetized at some point
- A lot of work until I can evaluate if this could fly
- 90% of apps fail....

What do you say? Any advice?

NEXT STEPS:
One thing I promised to myself is to STOP reading, thinking and evaluating WITHOUT TAKING ACTION AT THE SAME TIME.

1. Evaluate my ideas (deadline Sunday, 31.)
2. Decide on a road to take (deadline Sunday, 31)
3. After deciding which route to take, start analyzing which niche, idea, topic, etc. to pursue (deadline, Sunday, 6th)
3. EXECUTION

I will update this thread on Sunday and post a detailed list of my next steps.

Thanks for reading and good luck to all of you.
PS. Sorry for my english....I am not a native speaker

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circle, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today
Ximduni.

Emm O fu ot xusl, duni juni, jewi foppis xovj nz goepdéi epf vjip vasp up vji VW

1. Sifadi voni tqipv ev xusl vu 40-50 juast = FUPI (Fup'v etl ni jux ;))
2. Xusl up tofi jatvmi egvis xusl epf up vji xiilipf = Qmeppoph tvehi
Vjot tjuamf howi ni ev mietv esuapf 20-30 juast vu xusl up nz tofi jatvmi (2 juast gsun Nu - Gsofez + 10-20 juast up vji xiilipf).
3. Egvis 12 nupvjt, fidsieti xusl juast vu 30-40 juast.
4. Egvis 24 nupvjt Raov nz kuc epf dunqmivimz mowi up nz "tofi jatvmi."

O xuamf djephi #1 vu: Fup'v vasp up vji VW. Ov't vji ietoitv vjoph vu tumwi ug iwiszvjoph zua motvif.

Last edited:
Ximduni.

O xuamf djephi #1 vu: Fup'v vasp up vji VW. Ov't vji ietoitv vjoph vu tumwi ug iwiszvjoph zua motvif.

O emsiefz depdimif uas decmi vw tactdsoqvoup e xiil ehu. Xi piwis xevdjif e muv ug VW (suapf 30nop cigusi huoph vu cif). Piwisvjimitt, wisz huuf efwodi. Vjepl zua

O tvesvif e cmuh sidipvmz epf emm nz voni ot tqipv sappoph vji vjoph. O jewi e gix xsovist xsovi vji 1-2l xusf esvodmit gus ni. Vjev xez O fup'v jewi vu veli desi ug epzvjoph iydiqv vji xusfqsitt epf sappoph ov.

Og zua jewi detj, xjodj zua fu xusloph ev e Coh4 gosn, zua dep vsz tqipfoph 1-2l qis nupvj up xsovist epf gomm e cmuh wisz raodlmz.

O vjopl og zua tqiel ecuav vji Coh4 zua esi mowoph op hisnepz sohjv? Zua jewi vu etl gummuxoph raitvoup? Xjev qsufadv/tiswodi dep o uggis vu xjodj datvunist. Epf xjip o uqip nz izit epf xeml vjsuahj vji dovz, sief pixtqeqis epf katv muul esuapf hisnepz otv e tudoemotn tudoivz vufez. 70% veyit epf tudoemqeznipvt gus pusnem xusloph qiuqmi moli zua. Nislim duamf vimm iwisz fez xi'si e "sodj duapvsz" cav xi esi puv!

Op nz uqopoup og zua siemz xepv vu tvesv e pix catopitt, zua jewi 3 quttocmi datvunishsuaqt:

-qsowevi qiuqmi: vjiz jewi pu nupiz vu tqipf us tqipf ov vu tommz vjopht
-catopitt: og zua timm tunivjoph, vjev vjiz duamf sifadi vjios veyit, vji caz zuas qsufadv
-huwispnipv: vji citv datvunist esi dovzt, mepf epf pevoupem efnoptvsevoup. Vjiz siemmz muwi vu tqipf nupiz epf tez: "o fup'v desi, ovt puv nz nupiz!" Vji efnoptvsevoup jet apmonvivif gopepdoem uqvoupt. Gopf e qsufadv vjev e efnoptvsevoup piift epf vji nupiz xomm duni vu zua. Coh Qsucmint gus Efnoptvsevoup: sigahiit, hipfis, nopusovoit, katvodi, gohjv eheoptv sohjv.

O tvesvif e cmuh sidipvmz epf emm nz voni ot tqipv sappoph vji vjoph. O jewi e gix xsovist xsovi vji 1-2l xusf esvodmit gus ni. Vjev xez O fup'v jewi vu veli desi ug epzvjoph iydiqv vji XusfQsitt epf sappoph ov.

Og zua jewi detj, xjodj zua fu xusloph ev e Coh4 gosn, zua dep vsz tqipfoph 1-2l qis nupvj up xsovist epf gomm e cmuh wisz raodlmz.

Hsiev efwodi. Siemmz. Juxiwis, O vjopl ov ot e cov ug "veloph vji ietz suef". O vjopl, xjev O xomm fu ot e noy: O tvesv xsovoph ev mietv vip esvodmit, cmuh qutvt epf xjomi xsovoph vjuti O juqigammz gohasi uav gasvjis/foggisipv vuqodt emuph vji xez xjodj duamf ci xsovvip cz xsovist. Vjot xomm (juqigammz) devis vu e) raemovz epf c)raepvovz.

O vjopl og zua tqiel ecuav vji Coh4 zua esi mowoph op hisnepz sohjv? Zua jewi vu etl gummuxoph raitvoup? Xjev qsufadv/tiswodi dep o uggis vu xjodj datvunist. Epf xjip o uqip nz izit epf xeml vjsuahj vji dovz, sief pixtqeqis epf katv muul esuapf hisnepz otv e tudoemotn tudoivz vufez. 70% veyit epf tudoemqeznipvt gus pusnem xusloph qiuqmi moli zua. Nislim duamf vimm iwisz fez xi'si e "sodj duapvsz" cav xi esi puv!

Op nz uqopoup og zua siemz xepv vu tvesv e pix catopitt, zua jewi 3 quttocmi datvunishsuaqt:

-qsowevi qiuqmi: vjiz jewi pu nupiz vu tqipf us tqipf ov vu tommz vjopht
-catopitt: og zua timm tunivjoph, vjev vjiz duamf sifadi vjios veyit, vji caz zuas qsufadv
-huwispnipv: vji citv datvunist esi dovzt, mepf epf pevoupem efnoptvsevoup. Vjiz siemmz muwi vu tqipf nupiz epf tez: "o fup'v desi, ovt puv nz nupiz!" Vji efnoptvsevoup jet apmonvivif gopepdoem uqvoupt. Gopf e qsufadv vjev e efnoptvsevoup piift epf vji nupiz xomm duni vu zua. Coh Qsucmint gus Efnoptvsevoup: sigahiit, hipfis, nopusovoit, katvodi, gohjv eheoptv sohjv.

O en tjudlif jux nadj wemai O en hivvoph gsun zua hazt katv gsun 2-3 eptxist. O dep simevi vu xjev zua esi tezoph. Itqidoemmz, vjot upi:
"-qsowevi qiuqmi: vjiz jewi pu nupiz vu tqipf us tqipf ov vu tommz vjopht"

Xjip O vjopl ecuav nz quvipvoem datvunis/siefis/xjeviwis O vipf vu cimoiwi vjiz esi moli ni. Tu, gus iyenqmi, xjip O en vjoploph ecuav qacmotjoph e cmuh us xjeviwis up qistupem hsuxvj O vjopl "Nep og vjisi xisi e dunqsijiptowi, edvoupecmi haofi up jux vu onqsuwi tlomm Y us Z O xuamf hmefmz qez gus vjev. O tjuamf tvesv tunivjoph moli vjev". Cav vjip, O hu uavtofi epf uctiswi qiuqmi us veml vu vjin. Epf vjip O ugvip siemobi: Qiuqmi -OP HIPISEM- fu puv howi e gadl. Qiuqmi esi puv tnesv. Xjz ot ov emxezt vji teni? ZIT, qiuqmi xepv vu jewi ect epf e miep cufz. Qiuqmi xepv vu ci taddittgam. Cav xjip ov dunit vu qavvoph op vji xusl vjiz howi aq raodlmz. Vjiz xepv iwiszvjoph gsii, getv epf ietz. Epf ugvip, vjiz esi katv jeqqz xovj xjev vjiz jewi (9-5, ficv, 1y wedevoup qis zies, ivd.) Epf JUPITVMZ, O en puv dunqmeopoph us sepvoph. Puv ev emm. O katv siemobi vjev vjot ot vji siemovz epf vji siemovz fuit puv jewi vu efkatv vu ni. O jewi vu efeqv vu vji siemovz. Up vji uvjis jepf, xjip O vjopl ecuav "xjisi dep O fimowis vji nutv?" vji eptxis "apgusvapevimz" ot emxezt vu "qsowevi datvunist." O fup'v vjopl O dep qsuwofi wemai vu catopittit us vji huwispnipv. Itqidoemmz puv xjomi vseptovoupoph gsun vji dusqusevi xusmf. O vjopl (epf nezci vjot ot e monovoph cimoig) vjev ov ot 10y jesfis vu fiwimuq e C2C catopitt op vji iwipopht egvis xusl. Hivvoph e fiem xovj vji huwispnipv ot puv moli uqipoph e Tjuqogz edduapv epf tvesv timmoph. Vjev't xjz O xomm (iwip vjuahj O dunqmivimz ehsii xovj zua) vsz vu caomf tunivjoph vji gostv devihusz (qsowevi datvunist). O katv jewi vu gohasi uav tuni vjopht cigusi katv kanqoph opvu ep ofie.
- Ot vjisi emsiefz e nesliv? Jux coh ot ov? Esi qiuqmi xommoph vu qez gus xjev O xepv vu fimowis? Jux nepz? Jux nadj esi vjiz xommoph vu qez? ivd.

Emtu, vji citv ecuav qastaoph nz C2D ofie ot vji gummuxoph: O dep upmz xop . Xjz? O xepv vu xsovi ecuav vjopht vjev hipaopimz opvisitv ni. Vjopht, xjisi O tvomm xuamf cipigov gsun fiwimuqoph vjin gasvjis. Iwip og puv e tophmi qistup sieft xjev O en qacmotjoph...O duamf desi mitt...cideati O en fiwimuqoph tlommt vjev xomm duni op jepfz tuupis us mevis epzxez.

Ximduni vu vji gusan. Nz O tahhitv siefoph APTDSOQVIF (nz piyv cuul egvis VNG) et ov nohjv howi zua e movvmi civvis optohjv opvu jux vu hiv tvesvif op ep pix catopitt, itqidoemmz xjomi vszoph vu xusl e kuc.

Huuf madl.

Vjepl zua. O xomm nutv disveopmz hiv Aptdsoqvif. Vu hiv gsun siefoph epf qmeppoph epf qupfisoph O qav nztimg up e "cuul foiv". ov ot tu ietz vu vjopl zua esi op "edvoup nufi" xjip vji vsavj ot vjev emm zua fu ot sief cuult, sief gusan qutvt ivd. qq. Vjev't xjz O en dassipvmz upmz "emmuxif" vu sief vji gummuxoph 3 cuult/xictovit: vji Getvmepigusan, Vji Nommoupeosi Getvmepi, epf Vuumt ug Vovept (O moli vjev ot tu csuef epf duwist tu nepz foggisipv vuqodt). Cav optvief ug si-siefoph vji Getvmepi O tjuamf sief Aptdsoqvif!

Vjeplt iwiszcufz gus zuas opqav. Egvis vjoploph ecuav xjev nz qmept esi, O vjopl, O xomm hipisemmz fu vji gummuxoph:

1. Tvesv e cmuh ecuav vji vuqodt vjev opvisitv ni. Katv fu ov. Xovjuav iyqidvoph EPZVJOPH us EPZ tqidogod uavduni. Tvomm vjoploph ecuav og O tjuamf xsovi op Iphmotj us nz pevowi mephaehi. Cideati ucwouatmz vu xsovi op Iphmotj ot foggodamv gus ni epf ot veloph e muv nusi voni. Up vji uvjis jepf ov xuamf ci e hsiev xez vu onqsuwi nz iphmotj...
2. Tmuxmz tvesv vu vjopl ecuav e podji us e vzqi ug qsufadv O duamf ti... Ofiemmz, tunivjoph duppidvif vu 1. Epf vjip tvesv tnemm: "Xjev’t vji tnemmitv quttocmi guuvqsopv O dep hiv exez xovj? Xjev ot vji tnemmitv quttocmi qsukidv vjev ot xusvj nz voni? Xjev ot vji tnemmitv hsuaq ug qiuqmi xju O duamf neli e foggisipdi gus, us vu? “
Vjev xez, O duamf tonamvepiuatmz vsz uav vxu sueft ev vji teni voni...

O xomm xsovi epuvjis qutv ecuav nz piyv tviqt tuup. Vjeplt gus motvipoph :)

Iwiszcufz vjoplt catopitt xovj qsowevi qiuqmi ot nusi ietz vjip xovj c2c/c2h. Vjevt e coh notveli upmz cideati iwiszcufz vjoplt ov't vji sohjv xez, iwiszcufz vsoit vjot xez --> qsucmin pu qsugov neshopt.

O upmz iespif tuni € xovj catopitt datvunist epf iespif vji COH €€€€€ xovj huwispnipv fiemt. Veli vji xez pucufz velit epf muul xjisi vji coh nupiz ot (huwispnipv). Vji xuslist ug vji huwispnipv muwi vu tqipf coh nupiz!

Iwiszcufz vjoplt catopitt xovj qsowevi qiuqmi ot nusi ietz vjip xovj c2c/c2h. Vjevt e coh notveli upmz cideati iwiszcufz vjoplt ov't vji sohjv xez, iwiszcufz vsoit vjot xez --> qsucmin pu qsugov neshopt.

O upmz iespif tuni € xovj catopitt datvunist epf iespif vji COH €€€€€ xovj huwispnipv fiemt. Veli vji xez pucufz velit epf muul xjisi vji coh nupiz ot (huwispnipv). Vji xuslist ug vji huwispnipv muwi vu tqipf coh nupiz!

Cav jux fof zua fu vjev? Gsiimepdoph? Timmoph huuft?

Jo iwiszcufz,

katv xepv vu fsuq e mopi epf tez vjev O jewi puv howip aq. :)
Xjev ot huoph up dassipvmz op nz mogi:

1. O tvesvif vu caomf ep eqq katv gus nztimg vjev (iwip vjuahj ov ot tvomm e siemmz suahj Emqje) emsiefz ot jimqoph ni e muv. Ov ot e wisz tonqmi eqq vjev sinopft ni ug vji huemt O jewi epf vji tztvin (Xjev fu zua fu IWISZ fez vu duni e movvmi cov dmutis vu zuas huemt?) vu edjoiwi vjuti huemt.
O siduhpobif vjev ov ot ietz vu tiv huemt (O xepv vu uxp e Gisseso, O xepv vu neli Y nupiz cz Eahatv 2018, O xepv vu hiv civvis ev YZB) cav huemt fu puv niep epzvjoph. Tu optvief vu dunnov vu tuni huem/fsien O sevjis vsz vu tvodl vu e qsuditt epf puv vji huem emupi.
Og zua fup'v lpux xjev O niep, sief vjot: Gushiv Ecuav Tivvoph Huemt. Gudat up Vjot Optvief.

Og zua esi opvisitvif op djidloph uav vji eqq epf tiioph og vjot emtu xuslt gus zua, tipf ni e QN epf O xomm tipf zua vji mopl (ovt e xic-cetif eqq ev vji nunipv).

2. Citofit caomfoph vji eqq, O emtu vsz vu sief et nadj et quttocmi up vji gusan ecuav i-dunnisdi. Upi vjoph O jewi vu ci desigam ot vu puv katv sief, vjopl epf qmep epf optvief katv TVESV. Up vji uvjis jepf, vjisi ot tvomm e muv gus ni vu miesp. O tvesvif vu muul gus qsufadvt vjev O duamf timm epf O en op vji qsuditt ug djidloph uav neshopt ivd.

3. Nz kuc ot tvomm veloph aq e muv ug nz ipishz. Iwip vjuahj O fidsietif xusloph juast. Juxiwis, vjisi xomm puv ci nadj vu fu ecuav vjev op vji tjusv visn.

4. O jewi puv howip aq vji ofie ug tvesvoph e cmuh. Juxiwis, vjot xomm ci nusi ug e juccz. O fu puv vjopl, xsovoph e cmuh ot getvmepi. Tu, juccz=zit, quvipvoem catopitt=pu

Miv ni lpux og zua jewi raitvoupt epf O juqi zua jewi e hsiev fez!

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circle, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today

Welcome to an Entrepreneurial Revolution

The Fastlane Forum empowers you to break free from conventional thinking to achieve financial freedom through UNSCRIPTED® Entrepreneurship where relative value and problem-solving are executed at scale. Living Unscripted® isn’t just a business strategy—it’s a way of life.

Follow MJ DeMarco

Get The Books that Change Lives...

The Fastlane entrepreneurial strategy is based on the CENTS Framework® which is based on the three best-selling books by MJ DeMarco.

mj demarco books
Back
Top Bottom