The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

My Secret to Waking up Early and Easily.

Bruce

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Feb 1, 2012
Canada
There's been quite a lot of threads regarding hours of sleep, sleeping patterns, etc lately. So I thought I'd share how I wake up early and easily every morning.

I usually sleep 3 - 5 hours a night due to university lifestyle, I wake up at 5:30-6:00 with no problems.

How do I do it?

Well 60% comes from my motivation.

I've come to understand that the each time I press snooze, times still ticking. Time never stops and more time I waste, the longer I'm stuck being a sidewalker.

I know you might be thinking "Oh what a waste of time, I knew that already!"

But don't worry the last 40% is the best part.

The 40% comes from my alarm.

I've simply replaced my radio alarm clock with an app on my iPhone. Every night I plug in my iPhone and place it on my bed. The app than detects my sleep cycle and wakes me up when it's the best time for me to wake up. It's sort of related to how people take power naps or commit to those crazy sleeping patterns. Yet a lot better because it doesn't require commitment and hard work. It replaces your current alarm clock that you've learned to hate with something you'll soon love.

I've stumbled upon this app about 1.5 years ago and I've been using it ever since. There's many apps similar to these ones and there's also alternatives if you don't have a smartphone.

Here is the one I personally use/used:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sleep-cycle-alarm-clock/id320606217?mt=8
Sleep Time | Azumio

There's alternatives found here: Best Mobile Alarm App: Sleep Cycle

Non-smartphone versions such as sleepyti.me bedtime calculator (but more of a hit and mess from my experience).

Hope you enjoyed the thread!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
I usually sleep 3 - 5 hours a night due to university lifestyle, I wake up at 5:30-6:00 with no problems.
How old are you?

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
I think my melatonin receptors might be out of whack. It take me 1-2 hours to go to sleep and 1-2 hours to fully wake up. Total in-bed time usually comes out to around 9-10 hours. That can't just be laziness or lack of motivation. It doesn't matter what time I wake up or go to bed. It's always like that.

When I took this melatonin/valerian root beverage, I had the best sleep I've ever experienced. 8 hours of real, true-blue sleep. I feel like the problem is hormonal. I get tired enough to want to lay down, but not tired enough to fall asleep.

Any recommendations for that problem?

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
The-J, Bruce, at that age you shouldn't have any issues either with sleeping or waking up.

Most people at that age can sleep just a few hours after a crazy party and wake up fresh and fine.

The-J, check the other thread going on right now about sleep, there are a lot of interesting advice going on there.

rocksolid

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Nov 17, 2008
New York
Hey J, go to the doctor and have him do some blood work. When your Iron is low it can do that to a person.

I think my melatonin receptors might be out of whack. It take me 1-2 hours to go to sleep and 1-2 hours to fully wake up. Total in-bed time usually comes out to around 9-10 hours. That can't just be laziness or lack of motivation. It doesn't matter what time I wake up or go to bed. It's always like that.

When I took this melatonin/valerian root beverage, I had the best sleep I've ever experienced. 8 hours of real, true-blue sleep. I feel like the problem is hormonal. I get tired enough to want to lay down, but not tired enough to fall asleep.

Any recommendations for that problem?

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
@TheJ What is the name of the melatonin/valerian root beverage and where is it sold?

(don't laugh) It's called 'Drank', named after 'Purple Drank'. No, there's no codeine.

It works amazingly well. It was a $2 beverage I bought at a gas station little over three years ago. Damn it was good. I have no idea where it sells. I even checked the website last night. You can order it online (it tastes like no other soda I've had before).

Someone told me it could be my test levels. I started working out and shoving protein down my throat. I think my test levels are just fine as of now. I won't tell you why I think that, but you can infer (plus, what kind of 19 year old has LOW TESTOSTERONE LEVELS?). My in bed time has been shortened from 12-13 hours to 9-10 because of it. I want to fall asleep within 5 minutes of hitting the pillow and I want to wake up with energy and alertness.

Low iron could be possible, but I get a good amount of veggies in and I eat a lot of red meat. I'll look into iron supplements.

@andviv, I've been this way since I was 13 or so. Exercise and a healthy diet helped loads, but I want better.

fasten

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Feb 28, 2013
paradise
I think, such things also depends on your daily life routines and habits, that if you are doing an early morning activity since a long time and quite use to it. That would always be easy for you to get up early in the morning. Where as the same could by quite difficult for others on regular basis.

critprod45ss

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Mar 30, 2013
My bad habit also wake up lately. Now trying to solve this problem. But i can not. But i choose the night times. This times i try to do some work for me. But i need to wake up early. Because i am always late in my office.

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
here is a trick I've used successfully to learn to wake up on time. It will work after 1 day.

right now go set your alarm 2 minutes from now. Lay down in your bed, as if you are going to bed. Relax as if you are sleeping. When alarm rings, get up, and start doing morning routine, bathroom, etc.

set alarm for 2 mins away again, go to bed again.

repeat 2-5 times

you will wake up fine next day, repetition will do the rest

User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Dec 17, 2010
Atlanta, GA
For me, I am a firm believer that most of the bodies energy is consumed in the digestion process.

And because most people are eating pure shit they have extremely low energy.

So after realizing I needed to work a ton of hours and maintain a high energy level in order to get rich, I switched myself over to a primarily vegetable and fruit diet in addition to supplements. Combine this with drinking only water and I have energy all throughout the day.

I go to bed around 11:00 and I'm up around 3:30-4:00AM at the latest to get started with grinding.

Its been working very well for me, but it takes a lot of self discipline to keep the diet and water only diet on track.

G

GuestUser8117

here is a trick I've used successfully to learn to wake up on time. It will work after 1 day.

right now go set your alarm 2 minutes from now. Lay down in your bed, as if you are going to bed. Relax as if you are sleeping. When alarm rings, get up, and start doing morning routine, bathroom, etc.

set alarm for 2 mins away again, go to bed again.

repeat 2-5 times

you will wake up fine next day, repetition will do the rest

Best advice ever. I think you took it from Stevepavlina.com

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012

James Fake

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 4, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
I fully concur with theag.. every time I am about to launch a product or something; I am up before the alarm because I look forward to the day. When I'm on vacation or a road trip somewhere I enjoy (like Miami or Atlanta); I wake up immediately because I know the day is going to be great and get to do what I want to do.

Dreamon988

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Mar 30, 2013
No I am not a spammer, just wondering if it is better to buy a $150+S&H device or the 99¢ app. The answer may seem simple but I am just wondering if paying the extra money is worth the value for the watch (device).

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
I think the best sleep device is the ZEO, I saw it recommended by a bunch of people but havent tried it.

I don't think its really necessary.. Just eat well, do some sport and make sure you're actually tired when you go to bed so you're not lying in bed awake for too long..

SBS.95

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Oct 14, 2012
Pennsylvania
That SleepTime app works for me, no joke. Have no idea how it works, hell, maybe it's just placebo, but it's highly recommended.

No I am not a spammer, just wondering if it is better to buy a $150+S&H device or the 99¢ app. The answer may seem simple but I am just wondering if paying the extra money is worth the value for the watch (device).

:icon_bs:

If you're willing to pay $150 + S&H, why wouldn't you be willing to test out the $.99 app first and see if that solves your problem?

Dreamon988

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Mar 30, 2013
I searched up the ZEO also but did not like it because you have to wear a headband instead of a watch.

Boxster:
I don't own an iPhone.

wiqo

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Mar 30, 2013
easiest way to wake up early is having a kid. doesn't matter how late you've gone to bed, you will be waken up at 6 o'clock. best part is you will be 100% awake at no time. because if not, the kid will make a big mess.

mags

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
30%
Oct 18, 2011
I have tried using this Sleep Cycle Alarm Clock on my iPhone before. I remember it worked really well. But, ever since I did a fresh restore months ago I forgot I had it. I might as well use it again. I believe it works the same as the app mentioned in this thread.

eribruski

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Sep 29, 2012
Toronto, ON
@TheJ What is the name of the melatonin/valerian root beverage and where is it sold?

Hey, you can buy melatonin supplements at any store with a supplement selection. It is not expensive and works great by itself to reset your sleep cycle.

Taking the pure supplement is better than drinking a sugary drink a.k.a "drank" haha

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
Best way I've had to fall asleep naturally (and get a nice good healthy restful sleep)

When I was heavy into alchemy (growing and refining medicinal plants) I had a list of plants which were relaxing/depressants. The list included Valerian Root, Passion Flower, Hops, Poppy Seed, and a few more. Turns out there was a drink at my local Shaws Supermarket (wild harvest health food department) that contained ALL of those ingredients!

It's a drink sold by the Bob Marley estate called Bob Marley's Mellow Mood. The drink contains a "relaxation blend" that contains extracts from all the plants listed above. I can take one of these, sit down and relax (read a book, play a game, watch a show) and I'll be VERY sleepy within an hour.

The best part, is I lack any of the awful fake groggy feelings I get from sleeping pills. I wake up just as if I had fallen asleep naturally.

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
Instead of hitting snooze hit play

[video=youtube;E4b4DJFStVQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4b4DJFStVQ[/video]

santa

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Jul 15, 2011
UK
Instead of hitting snooze hit play
Oh Lance... how perceptions can change I guess

Relating to the topic; Sleeping in a pitch blank room can be helpful for some.

Best way I've had to fall asleep naturally (and get a nice good healthy restful sleep)
How often will you have it Dennis?

Stridone

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Jan 13, 2012
Waking up isn't the hard part.. It's getting through the day, working, doing sports and being productive in general that suffers when sleeping so little. Why would you structurally sleep 3-5 hours a night? It's not healthy at all and it's also affecting the performance of your brain. No thanks, I need my 8> hours of sleep to be 100% productive.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.