The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

My struggle to find what I want to study, advice would be loved !

Eudaemonia

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Jul 8, 2023
Hello dear forum users, its actually my first time posting here and hope that from now on, i wont be only lurking around but interacting and hopefully one day also provide value to others.

On to my main topic, I would say i have been convinced that the art of entrepreneurship is what interests me. Helping others by finding their problems and create a solution. Market the solution. Make money conclusively.

But the thing is, I have/want to go to college, why?

- It will make my parents proud, which i want from the bottom of my heart
- I feel like I am not prepared for life yet, and see college as a way to improve myself, my time management, tasks fulfillement skills etc.
- I will be able to learn a specialized skill which will make it so the industry I enter will have a high entry barrier

As far as I have understood it, to make money, besides the fact of helping people, you have to build stuff, then sell it. After reading Naval's book, I am now convinced it will be better off learning how to build things, which means having technical background in any specific field and learning the selling/business part for later. What further supports me in this decision is that business studies are useless, or thats what i heard of around here and from other business owners.

Examples of this kind of strategy would be popular guys like bill gates, for his idea coming from his computer background and elon musk in particular, who knows his field and so knows how to manage and lead the industry he's in.

Now yes, i gotta choose a degree that will give me an edge in comparison to "normal entrepreneurs" and help me build solutions. And what degree is in essence about building solutions? Engineering.

So yeah, I feel like Engineering would be a good way to enter the business world and see many opportunities to solve problems. After all the bigger the problems the more expertise is needed, and the more money i make right?
Alternatives would be computer science and even applied science.

Now to my question, I would love some advice from knowledgeable people here, and maybe a direction of what degree (and what type of engineer) would be best for a later entrepreneurial pursuit, and is my reasoning correct ?

P.S : I am 18, and live in Belgium, i can go to a belgian or german college since i know german too, and the nearby german college is known for its engineering so that helps with the decision too. Also, the costs are minimal. I am good at physics etc. so it wont be a problem and I love challenges.

Thanks for reading

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ChocolateFactory

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Apr 2, 2023
You're going about it the wrong way. Don't chase trends. Don't look at anectodical examples like Bill Gates or Elon Musk.
Think about what you really want to do.
If you're interested in business, maybe something like Wirtschaftsingenieurwesen (not sure what that would be in English - a mix of business and engineering) could be interesting for you. But you should choose it because you find it interesting, not because you think you will be making a lot of money.
There are physicists and mathematicians who are killing it, and there are lawyers who are barely getting by.
What are your interests?

Eudaemonia

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Jul 8, 2023
You're going about it the wrong way. Don't chase trends. Don't look at anectodical examples like Bill Gates or Elon Musk.
Think about what you really want to do.
If you're interested in business, maybe something like Wirtschaftsingenieurwesen (not sure what that would be in English - a mix of business and engineering) could be interesting for you. But you should choose it because you find it interesting, not because you think you will be making a lot of money.
There are physicists and mathematicians who are killing it, and there are lawyers who are barely getting by.
What are your interests?
Thats the problem, if I had some kind of passion i would have followed it, but I am not someone who has anything special he wants to pursue.

All i know is i love progress and self-development. learning too. I am also deeply interested by the idea of managing a business/company. Founding it. Seeing it grow little by little until it becomes functioning and I get to scale it, make it bigger, as a King would improve his kingdom (Yeah i might have played video games a tad too much when i was younger).

And i like informatics in general, as in coding and using the computer to create useful applications or coding websites which I do and am trying to make it a side-hustle. So if i go engineering it will probably be computer or software engineering.

I also know the degree you are talking about and its interesting, would be called [Science of Economy and Engineering]. There is this option thats called Wirtschaftsingenieurwesen, Fachrichtug Machinenbau (Specialization Mechanical Engineering) that I also think might be good.

Thanks for the reply!

ChocolateFactory

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Apr 2, 2023
It's very normal not to know what you want to study. Go to some informational meetings that the universities offer, see what resonates with you the most.
Also check if uni or college (I'm assuming you're talking about RWTH Aachen) is better for you.

Eudaemonia

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Jul 8, 2023
It's very normal not to know what you want to study. Go to some informational meetings that the universities offer, see what resonates with you the most.
Also check if uni or college (I'm assuming you're talking about RWTH Aachen) is better for you.
Well uni seems like the place i would learn the most, so thats why im going with it. And yes thats the university Im talking about, and Ill do that thank you !

ChocolateFactory

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Apr 2, 2023
What I meant is, RWTH Aachen is not a university. So their teaching style may be different, more hands-on. While traditional universities may have a stronger focus on theory.

Eudaemonia

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Jul 8, 2023
What I meant is, RWTH Aachen is not a university. So their teaching style may be different, more hands-on. While traditional universities may have a stronger focus on theory.
I heard about how they do lots of practicing, but as far as I know, there is the RWTH Aachen University, and then the FH Aachen which is a Fachhochschule

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Jun 3, 2015
Hello dear forum users, its actually my first time posting here and hope that from now on, i wont be only lurking around but interacting and hopefully one day also provide value to others.

On to my main topic, I would say i have been convinced that the art of entrepreneurship is what interests me. Helping others by finding their problems and create a solution. Market the solution. Make money conclusively.

But the thing is, I have/want to go to college, why?

- It will make my parents proud, which i want from the bottom of my heart
- I feel like I am not prepared for life yet, and see college as a way to improve myself, my time management, tasks fulfillement skills etc.
- I will be able to learn a specialized skill which will make it so the industry I enter will have a high entry barrier

As far as I have understood it, to make money, besides the fact of helping people, you have to build stuff, then sell it. After reading Naval's book, I am now convinced it will be better off learning how to build things, which means having technical background in any specific field and learning the selling/business part for later. What further supports me in this decision is that business studies are useless, or thats what i heard of around here and from other business owners.

Examples of this kind of strategy would be popular guys like bill gates, for his idea coming from his computer background and elon musk in particular, who knows his field and so knows how to manage and lead the industry he's in.

Now yes, i gotta choose a degree that will give me an edge in comparison to "normal entrepreneurs" and help me build solutions. And what degree is in essence about building solutions? Engineering.

So yeah, I feel like Engineering would be a good way to enter the business world and see many opportunities to solve problems. After all the bigger the problems the more expertise is needed, and the more money i make right?
Alternatives would be computer science and even applied science.

Now to my question, I would love some advice from knowledgeable people here, and maybe a direction of what degree (and what type of engineer) would be best for a later entrepreneurial pursuit, and is my reasoning correct ?

P.S : I am 18, and live in Belgium, i can go to a belgian or german college since i know german too, and the nearby german college is known for its engineering so that helps with the decision too. Also, the costs are minimal. I am good at physics etc. so it wont be a problem and I love challenges.

Thanks for reading

I can't really tell you what to study, because ultimately I don't know you or your strengths.

What I will say though, is if you do go to uni, make sure that whatever you study, you use your new found knowledge, to start an outside project, as this is where you will learn the most.

Maybe check out the book Ultralearning, I think that might give you some good ideas.

Eudaemonia

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Jul 8, 2023
I can't really tell you what to study, because ultimately I don't know you or your strengths.

What I will say though, is if you do go to uni, make sure that whatever you study, you use your new found knowledge, to start an outside project, as this is where you will learn the most.

Maybe check out the book Ultralearning, I think that might give you some good ideas.
Thanks for the recommendation, ill try to read it !

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.