The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Need guidance for idea/product

Idea threads

cj816

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Jul 15, 2012
Georgia
Hey guys,

I've been a lurker for near three years on this forum and have been learning a lot of really helpful information. I think it's a wonderful thing that so many like minded individuals can come together to help each other grow and learn, really great stuff. Anyways, I decided to finally write a post today because for quite some time I've had a few really great ideas that have been in the back of my mind for years. However I have never had a mentor or someone who could be a POC that could help guide me in the right direction from time to time. Fortunately, I decided today would be the day I would reach out and see if I could get some guidance.

My dilemma lately is that I have come up with an idea that is absolutely original in every way. I originally thought up this brainchild after seeing a need for it in the automotive industry and wondered if this idea could be sold or licensed to auto manufacturers. But after much thinking I came to ask myself if this one idea could actually become much larger and possibly even a company. This idea is focused in the automative industry and would be the first type of safety device of it's kind. I believe in this idea and almost submitted it to one automotive manufacturer but decided to get feedback.

I do not mean to sound vague and general, but I just would like to play it safe and try to protect my idea. I will say that this idea, if implemented correctly, could prevent the unnecessary loss of life of passengers inside a vehicle. And not just automotive either. Again, I know that I am vague and not providing too much details on the subject but hopefully some of you might understand where I am coming from. Please let me know what you guys think or know and by all means feel free to message me and what not. Thanks a bunch guys!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Dwight Schrute

Ludicrous Speed
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
Oct 27, 2014
where eagles dare
What would MJ say?

I believe in this idea and almost submitted it to one automotive manufacturer but decided to get feedback.
We can't give you feedback without knowing what it is, but if you believe in it,
and it saves lifes, go for it.

I'm definately in the need of not dying in case of a traffic accident.

cj816

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Jul 15, 2012
Georgia
What would MJ say?

We can't give you feedback without knowing what it is, but if you believe in it,
and it saves lifes, go for it.

I'm definately in the need of not dying in case of a traffic accident.

I understand what you mean Mr. Schrute ( Assistant to the Regional manager). I guess the technology is what baffles me and I've hit a wall on how to go about finding the avenues to getting a prototype made considering it would use existing technology. If that makes any sense. I originally wanted to bring the concept to Ford and see if they would be interested in a licensing agreement but the more I thought of it the more I wondered why not take it a step further and develop a product and business?

I guess I just wanted to see if there was someone here who was in a similar situation at one point and managed to make it work to get some feedback. Not too many people in Georgia that I know of who could lend me some wisdom on the matter.

And as for dying in the case of a traffic accident, all you need to prevent that is buy a 1987 Pontiac Trans Am.

Hackdroot

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Nov 11, 2014
I am currently in a similar process. Working on an idea and filed a provisional patent in the meantime.

Although normally not the case, If you disclose your idea without protection (patent, NDA, etc) your idea could be stolen. Unless it's really revolutionary, this is probably NEVER going to happen though, so don't stress on it.

But, for as little as $65, you can file a provisional patent which will give you a year of breathing room to develop and test. Usually not a good idea to disclose during this time period though. If you file a provisional patent, it will only protect the idea in the end if you follow through with a regular patent within the one year term. If you fail to follow through and let your provisional patent expire, you're burnt if someone else decides to file. You can sell an idea based on a provisional patent, and hope to get the buyer to pay for the patent though. No experience with that myself though.

If you're serious about pursuing the idea and don't want to risk investing thousands into a full blown patent, I would start by building a mockup, or better yet a working prototype, no matter how crude. I thought I had my design down pat in my head and on paper, until I actually built my model. Made several design changes based on that experience. This will get you closer to the reality and usefullness of your idea.

Read "One Simple Idea" by Stephen Key about licensing and you could avoid the whole manufacturing process altogether.

There's also some youtube videos featuring Stephen Key. Do a search and get to watching.

Hackdroot

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Nov 11, 2014
Oh yeah, if you even mess with provisional patents, know that they are not reviewed by the patent office. If it meets all the requirements (cover sheet's, formats, embedded fonts, etc) they will simply process it. When you decide to mature it into a full blown patent it goes under review, so make sure it doesn't already exist with a patent search before bothering:

https://www.google.com/patents
http://www.uspto.gov/patents-application-process/search-patents

cj816

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Jul 15, 2012
Georgia
I am currently in a similar process. Working on an idea and filed a provisional patent in the meantime.

Although normally not the case, If you disclose your idea without protection (patent, NDA, etc) your idea could be stolen. Unless it's really revolutionary, this is probably NEVER going to happen though, so don't stress on it.

But, for as little as $65, you can file a provisional patent which will give you a year of breathing room to develop and test. Usually not a good idea to disclose during this time period though. If you file a provisional patent, it will only protect the idea in the end if you follow through with a regular patent within the one year term. If you fail to follow through and let your provisional patent expire, you're burnt if someone else decides to file. You can sell an idea based on a provisional patent, and hope to get the buyer to pay for the patent though. No experience with that myself though.

If you're serious about pursuing the idea and don't want to risk investing thousands into a full blown patent, I would start by building a mockup, or better yet a working prototype, no matter how crude. I thought I had my design down pat in my head and on paper, until I actually built my model. Made several design changes based on that experience. This will get you closer to the reality and usefullness of your idea.

Read "One Simple Idea" by Stephen Key about licensing and you could avoid the whole manufacturing process altogether.

There's also some youtube videos featuring Stephen Key. Do a search and get to watching.

Thanks for your feedback Hackdroot. I haven't disclosed it yet and unfortunately the avenue to submit innovations to the company I have in mind won't allow you to attach documents. I am really debating a provisional patent and just keep coming back to the same question, " where do I go to find the material to build it?". As in I am not an electrical genius by any means, and would need some outside help in development.

I did actually, it's what really inspired me to get into inventing and ideas. Just so happens I don't have anyone that I know who can mentor me on the processes and pitfalls. Which is why I reached out on here to see if anyone could lend some advice. Which you did, and I thank you for that.

Hackdroot

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Nov 11, 2014
Well, if you want to start tinkering with a mock-up, see if there's a local tech shop in your area. These places all allow you to use their machinery, at a cost, to fabricate and manufacture things you normally can't do on your own:

http://www.techshop.ws/

If you need something machined or designed outside of the scope of the equipment there, you can search out these services locally and try to not disclose what it's all about if you can avoid it.

If you're not experienced in something, start learning about it.

Dwight Schrute

Ludicrous Speed
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
Oct 27, 2014
where eagles dare
I haven't disclosed it yet
Robert William Kearns (March 10, 1927 – February 9, 2005) was an American inventor who invented the intermittent windshield wiper systems used on most automobiles from 1969 to the present. His first patent for the invention was filed on December 1, 1964.

Kearns won one of the best known patent infringement cases against Ford Motor Company (1978–1990) and a case against Chrysler Corporation (1982–1992). Having invented and patented the intermittent windshield wiper mechanism, which was useful in light rain or mist, he tried to interest the "Big Three" auto makers in licensing the technology. They all rejected his proposal, yet began to install intermittent wipers in their cars, beginning in 1969.
It's good that you're careful.

interested in a licensing agreement but the more I thought of it the more I wondered why not take it a step further and develop a product and business?
"One Simple Idea for Startups and Entrepreneurs";)

getting a prototype made considering it would use existing technology
So you would re-use existing things in a different and innovative way?
You might want to ask @Kak in his AMA-thread

Last edited by a moderator:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.