The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

New Business, Marketing Tips?

Marketing, social media, advertising

Peakdesire

Burning Desire to Succeed
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
May 16, 2014
Hey guys. I wanted to post a new thread about this since I didn't get a lot help in my last one.

So here is my situation.

I've created a fitness/bodybuilding infoproduct, I got the sales page up, I got the email sequence, free opt in report, I've got a great blog, everything is set up.

Now the only thing what's lacking is the traffic and the leads.

What is the best way to attract new leads and start making sales? Should I grow my blog audience and sell to them? What should I be spending my time on at this Infancy stage of my business?

This is what I'm struggling at. When I read online I find like 1000 ways to do it, and get overwhelmed because I don't know which one to do.

Now you probably say ''just pick one and do it''. I value my time so much that I know it's a lot wiser to find someone who has made it happen before me and ask them directly, so that's what I'm doing with this thread.

-V

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
May 1, 2011
Based on my experiences so far, I would avoid paid traffic if you aren't ready to lose several thousand dollars (if not more). Paid traffic is brutal, and although it's fast, you'll probably get better results if you develop your blog the organic way (though it will take a lot of time).

Peakdesire

Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
May 16, 2014
Based on my experiences so far, I would avoid paid traffic if you aren't ready to lose several thousand dollars (if not more). Paid traffic is brutal, and although it's fast, you'll probably get better results if you develop your blog the organic way (though it will take a lot of time).

Any tips on building the blog and getting traffic there?

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
May 1, 2011
You can get the ball rolling by guest posting on popular blogs in your niche and linking to your blog in the byline. It's one of the simplest ways to get your first readers and then start growing by word of mouth/organic traffic.

Peakdesire

Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
May 16, 2014
You can get the ball rolling by guest posting on popular blogs in your niche and linking to your blog in the byline. It's one of the simplest ways to get your first readers and then start growing by word of mouth/organic traffic.

Yeah that is what I've actually been trying to do but I cannot find popular fitness blogs anywhere. I've been looking from all over the place..

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
May 1, 2011

Peakdesire

Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
May 16, 2014

But none of these sites are like bodybuilding focused like mine is.. If I look at those blogs content, I can see straight away that I wouldn't fit into there with my posts, nor get any traffic from them.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
May 1, 2011
But none of these sites are like bodybuilding focused like mine is.. If I look at those blogs content, I can see straight away that I wouldn't fit into there with my posts, nor get any traffic from them.

Look at demographics, not the content in itself. Many people who read health/fitness blogs are bodybuilders and would benefit from your advice.

And if you really want to post on bodybuilding blogs only, RippedBody and NerdFitness are both for people into bodybuilding (they also link out to other similar blogs). There are many, many more blogs for bodybuilders, just use Google.

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Jun 29, 2011
Hey guys. I wanted to post a new thread about this since I didn't get a lot help in my last one.
Was it this same type of post? Because let's be honest...you're asking someone to do your due diligence for you.
Now you probably say ''just pick one and do it''. I value my time so much that I know it's a lot wiser to find someone who has made it happen before me and ask them directly, so that's what I'm doing with this thread.
Everone will have a different answer, and none of them are guaranteed to work with your website. So, you have to test. You basically don't want to spend a lot of time focusing on one method and not getting anywhere. But if you don't focus on one of them, there is a 100% chance of not getting anywhere. You have to start somewhere.
I would avoid paid traffic if you aren't ready to lose several thousand dollars (if not more). Paid traffic is brutal, and although it's fast, you'll probably get better results if you develop your blog the organic way (though it will take a lot of time).
Here's a great example. He says to avoid pad traffic (unless you're ready to lose thousands of dollars). Yet there are people PROFITING 6-figures per DAY with paid traffic and they would say you're an idiot for relying on organic traffic.

The truth is, you've done the brutally simple part of the business. Creating a blog only takes time and some experience in a given topic. Getting people to the blog is the hard part. This process is what separates people that own a business from people that want to own a business.

My advice is research how similar blogs are getting traffic. If you can't find any, then either you aren't cut out for this, not many people are interested in it or you're the first person in the world to create one. If they're all advertising heavily on Instagram, then I'd start there. If they're all interviewing on podcasts, then I'd start there. Then do that until you figure it out.

Last edited:

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
May 1, 2011
I agree with you, @a23k. As for paid traffic, I said "avoid it unless you're ready to lose a lot of money learning it." I'm not saying to avoid it at all, that's stupid. Just wanted to warn @Peakdesire so he can learn from my mistakes (my wrong assumptions that it would be relatively easy to get good paid traffic).

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009

How is your different? Is it for hardcore bodybuilders?

If you seriously can't find blogs in fitness industry..you can quit now.. might just be easiest market to do that. And I've been in it so I'm not talking out of thin air.. from tons of forums to shitload of blogs and now many many fitness 'stars/models' on Instagram.. the industry is bursting with places to conribute on..

Peakdesire

Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
May 16, 2014
Was it this same type of post? Because let's be honest...you're asking someone to do your due diligence for you.

Everone will have a different answer, and none of them are guaranteed to work with your website. So, you have to test. You basically don't want to spend a lot of time focusing on one method and not getting anywhere. But if you don't focus on one of them, there is a 100% chance of not getting anywhere. You have to start somewhere.

Here's a great example. He says to avoid pad traffic (unless you're ready to lose thousands of dollars). Yet there are people PROFITING 6-figures per DAY with paid traffic and they would say you're an idiot for relying on organic traffic.

The truth is, you've done the brutally simple part of the business. Creating a blog only takes time and some experience in a given topic. Getting people to the blog is the hard part. This process is what separates people that own a business from people that want to own a business.

My advice is research how similar blogs are getting traffic. If you can't find any, then either you aren't cut out for this, not many people are interested in it or you're the first person in the world to create one. If they're all advertising heavily on Instagram, then I'd start there. If they're all interviewing on podcasts, then I'd start there. Then do that until you figure it out.

Thanks for your reply.

Peakdesire

Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
May 16, 2014
How is your different? Is it for hardcore bodybuilders?

If you seriously can't find blogs in fitness industry..you can quit now.. might just be easiest market to do that. And I've been in it so I'm not talking out of thin air.. from tons of forums to shitload of blogs and now many many fitness 'stars/models' on Instagram.. the industry is bursting with places to conribute on..

Thanks, I'll find them.

Peakdesire

Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
May 16, 2014
Look at demographics, not the content in itself. Many people who read health/fitness blogs are bodybuilders and would benefit from your advice.

And if you really want to post on bodybuilding blogs only, RippedBody and NerdFitness are both for people into bodybuilding (they also link out to other similar blogs). There are many, many more blogs for bodybuilders, just use Google.

Thanks man.

Polarbeans

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
266%
Nov 18, 2014
I've created a fitness/bodybuilding infoproduct, I got the sales page up, I got the email sequence, free opt in report, I've got a great blog, everything is set up.

Now the only thing what's lacking is the traffic and the leads.

What is the best way to attract new leads and start making sales? Should I grow my blog audience and sell to them? What should I be spending my time on at this Infancy stage of my business?

Depending on the nature of your infoproduct, I would probably put it up to clickbank and JVzoo..

As far as getting traffic to your blog, I would look at digitalmarketer.com and backlinko.com for traffic and SEO optimization. You dont need anything else.

Then I would do as Neil Patel teaches. Create a blog post, include like 50 links in it, and send out emails to the people whos blogs you're linking to. Tell them about their awesome site and that you are including them in an epic blog post. Ask them for a backlink to your site as a thank you.

JVzoo and clickbank will build an email list which you can use to bring back traffic to your site, and the blog posts will bring in traffic from other blogs and organically.

that's an outline I use most of the time and it works.

You can control the amount of traffic depending on the quality of your work..

Better sales copy=higher traffic
Better quality content=higher traffic
Less networking=less traffic
poor SEO=less traffic

You dont really need to use any strange hacks, tips or tricks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Peakdesire

Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
May 16, 2014
Depending on the nature of your infoproduct, I would probably put it up to clickbank and JVzoo..

As far as getting traffic to your blog, I would look at digitalmarketer.com and backlinko.com for traffic and SEO optimization. You dont need anything else.

Then I would do as Neil Patel teaches. Create a blog post, include like 50 links in it, and send out emails to the people whos blogs you're linking to. Tell them about their awesome site and that you are including them in an epic blog post. Ask them for a backlink to your site as a thank you.

JVzoo and clickbank will build an email list which you can use to bring back traffic to your site, and the blog posts will bring in traffic from other blogs and organically.

that's an outline I use most of the time and it works.

You can control the amount of traffic depending on the quality of your work..

Better sales copy=higher traffic
Better quality content=higher traffic
Less networking=less traffic
poor SEO=less traffic

You dont really need to use any strange hacks, tips or tricks.

Awesome tips man thank you.

About clickbank, how do you get affiliates to promote a new product which has no sales yet?

Polarbeans

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
266%
Nov 18, 2014
About clickbank, how do you get affiliates to promote a new product which has no sales yet?

You talk to them. Go to forums in your niche and look up people with lots of posts and conversations, reach out to them and ask if they want to do a review of your product and tell them that you have an upcoming launch (set it to 5 weeks or something) and let them know that you offer 100% commission on the front end offer, give them 50% on the upsells/downsells.

I have a Promoter's list, where i list names and contact information to people I would like to promote my offer. If I have 100 of them, I can get perhaps 10-20 to promote it (half of the 100 are full of procrastinators who never do as they say and the rest are just busy people whos life got in the way).

The reason for the 5 week time frame is so you will have time to create buzz around your product. You can set it to 2 weeks as well, but I would not go too short. I mean if you were approached by someone asking you to promote their product in the next 3 days, what would you say?

Also, create things like email swipe files, marketing material, banners, images, sales copy and stuff so your affiliates can just copy/paste it. Most of them are really lazy, and the majority don't really care for your product so you will do a better job conveying the story behind it yourself. Even though I wish we all cared for each other, affiliates mostly care about profit - like 99% of the time.

I suggest you start with one platform (JVzoo, clickbank etc.) and do a launch. Track EVERYTHING, conduct an analysis and do a bigger launch on clickbank, if your first was on JVzoo.

----

Conclusion: Give yourself enough time to improve your product, create marketing material, and most importantly, talk to affiliates.

Create strong relationships and build a list of people you would like to see promoting your offer. (remember that many of them probably have friends who are also affilates)

Peakdesire

Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
May 16, 2014
You talk to them. Go to forums in your niche and look up people with lots of posts and conversations, reach out to them and ask if they want to do a review of your product and tell them that you have an upcoming launch (set it to 5 weeks or something) and let them know that you offer 100% commission on the front end offer, give them 50% on the upsells/downsells.

I have a Promoter's list, where i list names and contact information to people I would like to promote my offer. If I have 100 of them, I can get perhaps 10-20 to promote it (half of the 100 are full of procrastinators who never do as they say and the rest are just busy people whos life got in the way).

The reason for the 5 week time frame is so you will have time to create buzz around your product. You can set it to 2 weeks as well, but I would not go too short. I mean if you were approached by someone asking you to promote their product in the next 3 days, what would you say?

Also, create things like email swipe files, marketing material, banners, images, sales copy and stuff so your affiliates can just copy/paste it. Most of them are really lazy, and the majority don't really care for your product so you will do a better job conveying the story behind it yourself. Even though I wish we all cared for each other, affiliates mostly care about profit - like 99% of the time.

I suggest you start with one platform (JVzoo, clickbank etc.) and do a launch. Track EVERYTHING, conduct an analysis and do a bigger launch on clickbank, if your first was on JVzoo.

----

Conclusion: Give yourself enough time to improve your product, create marketing material, and most importantly, talk to affiliates.

Create strong relationships and build a list of people you would like to see promoting your offer. (remember that many of them probably have friends who are also affilates)

Great stuff, thanks a lot.

What could I offer as upsells, downsells and crosssells? I only have the main offer right now.

Polarbeans

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
266%
Nov 18, 2014
What could I offer as upsells, downsells and crosssells? I only have the main offer right now.

Ok, so this will be very general since I don't know anything about your product other than that you are in the fitness niche.

Here is a standard way of doing it:

Tripwire (low ticket product, this is what you normally see around $5-$9 with $7 as some kind of standard)

Those who purchase gets offered an upsell (i.e. a higher ticket product, this can be your main product), you can keep pitching products as much as you want, with a backend at the end of the funnel, usually a membership site, rigorous course or a webinar or something.

Those who don't purchase your upsell gets redirected to a downsell product (lower ticket). The Downsell is usually the same as the upsell but with less content in it.

Say you had a video course as your main product, and it was divided into 5 segments, you can then offer only 2 segments to the customer.. say the whole course would teach about weight lifting, weight loss, protein methods, fat methods and carb methods. Perhas your clients want the weight loss section the most, then you can take out the weight lifting program and only sell them the weight loss section.

I can make you a picture if you like to:)

Polarbeans

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
266%
Nov 18, 2014
pvIQs4T.png

I believe in sustainability and ethics. So I would never sell a tripwire/frontend or a downsell that is not a complete standalone product. I think this would hurt your business.

Polarbeans

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
266%
Nov 18, 2014
Sorry, I never touched base on the cross-sell.

An upsell is where you want a customer to spend more money usually on the same product, by buying upgrades with more features etc.

A cross-sell is a totally different product, but usually within the same niche or area. Here is a great explanation:

• An upsell is to get the customer to spend more money – buy a more expensive model of the same type of product, or add features / warranties that relate to the product in question.
  • A cross-sell is to get the customer to spend more money buy adding more products from other categories than the product being viewed or purchased.
The terms cross-sell and upsell are often used interchangeably because, let’s face it, this gets confusing. Say the customer is viewing a 4GB iPod Nano for $169.

8 GB iPod Nano, $229 -> Upsell, same product family, more expensive
8 GB iPod Touch, $299 -> Upsell, same product family, more expensive
16 GP iPod Touch, $399 -> Upsell, same product family, more expensive
Apple In-Ear Headphones with Remote and Mic , $79 -> Cross-sell

Skull Candy headphones, $69, -> Cross-sell
$25 iTunes card -> Cross-sell
8 GB Microsoft Zune, $249 -> Upsell, more expensive, same category
4 GB Creative Zen mp3 player, $159 -> Neither cross-sell or upsell, rather an “alternative product suggestion”
Portable DVD player, $299 -> Cross-sell. Cool gadget, customer “may also like” but not related to mp3 player.
Griffin FM transmitter for car, $79 -> Cross-sell

If you feel like sharing your product, I can review it for you and help you come up with potential upsells, downsells, front ends etc. But in that case you should PM me, there are lurkers, even on the inside.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.