The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

New Idea - Needs Validation Before Execution

Idea threads

codo3500

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Jun 6, 2013
Hey Guys,

I've had a big idea, and while initially I was hesitant to discuss it openly, MJ has taught me that it's pointless to be over-protective of an idea, as idea's are worthless and most people can't/won't execute.

My Idea:
A Marketplace for 3D printer designs, where you pay Per Print, as opposed to buying a model and being able to print this countless times. Much like buying a licence for a piece of software, you can only use it as many times as you have purchased it.

How It Works:
Business structure would be much like the iTunes store, we just take a cut of the profit. As for technically how it works, I'm a programmer and have thought up a way of doing this. It is inevitable this would end up creating a market for 3d printing design piracy, but it would have various programmatical and procedural safeguards against this.

The Benefits:
To Producers:
Producers would be paid more for their designs. This would allow them to spend more time developing more designs, and adding to the complexity of their designs. Essentially they would be correctly rewarded for their hard work, in direct proportion to the end-demand of their produced design and the product it will ultimately produce.

An example for down the track when 3D printers have multiple materials, and are capable of producing much more complex designs, is the printer designing a car part worth $800. Eight people could chip in together $100 each, and receive this product for far below retail - but the producer that designed this part is never properly rewarded. This devalues his time, and results in him having to pump out more designs, in comparison to better and more complex designs.

To The End Consumer:
With more money behind them, Producers will eventually produce more innovative designs. Consider the Pharmaceutical industry for a moment - by patents being worth so much, and so much money backing innovation, billions are pumped into Research and Development, and this creates better end-products for the consumer over time.

The consumer also doesn't pay excessive amounts for once-off, they pay proportionally for their needs. In the traditional model, a producer may design a simple Cup, and charge $3/licence, as he only has the potential to be paid once for it, he needs to receive $3. This may be expensive for a consumer, as the cup is only really worth $1. Under my model, they would only pay $1 for the cup, but if they eventually needed six cups, they would pay $6. If a company wanted to produce thousands, they could pay a lesser amount for bulk quantities. This means fair pricing in proportion to need.

To The Industry:
Essentially the industry would thrive due to this. More innovation means more need for 3d printers, as this increases, it then funds further innovation in a circular loop. The printers become a necessity, and the introduction of new users increases the demand for better printers and better designs, fueling the industry.

Technical Concerns:
There are many to be honest, such as handling mis-prints (which will decrease as printer quality improves), down to piracy. These can all be overcome, and will be addressed individually during the execution phase. I would love some insight into any glaring issues I may have overlooked.

Becoming The Industry Standard:
I would imagine that if I pushed it hard enough, with a solid Brand, it would become the industry standard. As the technology develops over the years, it will become much more lucrative. But shonal,uld I be considering Patents on the encryption technology I develop, to keep competition out of this as a factor? Obviously not until I have everything working, functional, and making money - but is this a consideration? Should I be designing it in a certain fashion to ensure it is patentable?

Validation:
This, is where I am stuck, and would LOVE some help. Before spending countless hours designing both the encryption software, the website, and marketing the marketplace - I need to know that it is needed. Common sense isn't enough, While it does seem as though there is definitely a need for this, and other marketplaces using a once-off-payment system are making money, what is the best way to validate this idea?

Essentially my first form of validation is most likely going to be approaching producers, and asking would they come on-board with such a model. It seems much more lucrative to them, and would be a complete game-changer.

Your Criticism Is Welcome!
I love criticism, and would love your thoughts on the idea. Thank you very much for taking the time to read this, I know it's a huge amount to go through, and I really do appreciate it.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
I don't get it.

U wanna print things for people?

codo3500

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Jun 6, 2013
Essentially I would own the Marketplace for people to sell their 3d designs; where owners of 3d printers would purchase designs.

Nosferatu

Marketing Wizard
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Mar 7, 2013
Long Island, New York
Essentially I would own the Marketplace for people to sell their 3d designs; where owners of 3d printers would purchase designs.

I had an idea like this , somewhat similar.

It's great to get in early.

The only issue i had is that a lot of people don't yet see the potential of what they can do with it. So i think your market would be quite small right now. I think the key is to identify how big the market really is for this kind of service. Which was the problem i had.

I gave up on the idea because of the need factor. I don't see what a 3D printer could do for me that a manufacturers couldn't do, except maybe cost.. You also have a lot of back and forth. Are you basically going with the t-shirt biz approach of, you must know what you want before you order? (ex: mistakes aren't covered.)

codo3500

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Jun 6, 2013
I had an idea like this , somewhat similar.

It's great to get in early.

The only issue i had is that a lot of people don't yet see the potential of what they can do with it. So i think your market would be quite small right now. I think the key is to identify how big the market really is for this kind of service. Which was the problem i had.

I gave up on the idea because of the need factor. I don't see what a 3D printer could do for me that a manufacturers couldn't do, except maybe cost.. You also have a lot of back and forth. Are you basically going with the t-shirt biz approach of, you must know what you want before you order? (ex: mistakes aren't covered.)

I see the need growing exponentially in the coming years; they say in 20 years in every home there will be a 3d Printer, and they'll be capable of much more than they are today. This is the equivalent of a gamble, and I understand this. It may never become common, and the technology may become limited by some insurmountable technical issues. But I'd like to think by pushing the industry in this direction I would be doing my part to secure its future, and push for innovation and development of better technology.

And yep, they would basically buy the design, and if they didn't like it, it couldn't be returned (unless it mis-printed, as the printers aren't perfect yet).

TedM

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
May 21, 2013
Israel
I would take your idea to some of the 3D mfgs - like Cube 3D Printer, which is the closest to home use price. more like an app store, you will be adding value to their product, by enabling a market that doesn't exist now. i would think they would welcome you with open arms.

Chris_Willow

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Jul 8, 2012
EU
I think it's a great idea if you can make it work from a technical standpoint.
I'm not your market though, so for some real validation you can ask this question at a 3d printing forum. Better yet, set up a landing page and start collecting leads. It should be easy enough to target the 3d printing crowd in adwords.

Just do it :driving:

Nosferatu

Marketing Wizard
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Mar 7, 2013
Long Island, New York
Speed+ Guys!

Thanks very much for the very helpful feedback. It's execution time!

I'll hit the 3d printer forums, and make a landing page/survey to get some feedback on the whole idea. It's GO TIME!

cool! Speed+ !

please let us know how it goes, i'm interested to hear on the results.

MustImprove

Speed Is Good, usually only in the right direction
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,916%
Apr 30, 2013
and other marketplaces using a once-off-payment system are making money, what is the best way to validate this idea?

Codo3500, I suggest you have a look at the history of this model in digital music (if you haven't already :) ).

About 5 years ago I subscribed to a music service that allowed me to pay per play (somewhat similar to your "pay per print" model). It was great, I loved it, and for me it was cheaper than buying the track outright most of the time.

Things is though....they stopped the model. I know others have sprung up and offering a similar way, but I'm not sure it will be as profitable as selling the design.

In my opinion it depends on the "design price" to "print price" ratio. If a design = 1000 and one-off print = 1......you might have something with a pay-per-print model.

If a design = 1 (e.g. dollar) and one-off print = 0.01....then I think you might struggle.

What pricing magnitude do you anticipate?......then you can plan your approach.

Berto

Driving a Plow Truck
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
May 19, 2013
Austin, TX
I'm confused on the process. Who is actually doing the printing? You? The designer?

I think it's a great idea that has several pivots. Only one way to find out where to go...

codo3500

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Jun 6, 2013
Codo3500, I suggest you have a look at the history of this model in digital music (if you haven't already :) ).

About 5 years ago I subscribed to a music service that allowed me to pay per play (somewhat similar to your "pay per print" model). It was great, I loved it, and for me it was cheaper than buying the track outright most of the time.

Things is though....they stopped the model. I know others have sprung up and offering a similar way, but I'm not sure it will be as profitable as selling the design.

In my opinion it depends on the "design price" to "print price" ratio. If a design = 1000 and one-off print = 1......you might have something with a pay-per-print model.

If a design = 1 (e.g. dollar) and one-off print = 0.01....then I think you might struggle.

What pricing magnitude do you anticipate?......then you can plan your approach.

Thanks for pointing out that Digital Music bit, I'd never heard of that!

The reasoning is that I think the price point is going to grow dramatically as the technology advances, the other is that I believe that 'consumables' are going to end up printed in the future (think 5-10 years).

For example, they have successfully 3d Printed Ibuprofen - so what happens in 10 years when you don't go to the chemist for your meds, you just go to your 3d printer? Any patented pharmaceutical is going to need to be paid for on every print; so it will need a pay-per-print model.

That's looking WAY into the future. But just think about nice sculptures for your house; it would keep the cost down, but you may want multiple of them, it works for these kinds of things that are already selling for hundreds of dollars on the current marketplaces.

I'm confused on the process. Who is actually doing the printing? You? The designer?

I think it's a great idea that has several pivots. Only one way to find out where to go...
I don't think I've been clear enough, that's my fault, I'll try clear it up for you now:

- A designer produces a 3d design, they put it on my marketplace
- My marketplace sells this '3d design' to consumers
- The consumer buys the '3d design', and actually prints it themselves at home, with their own 3d printer.

Most people don't have 3d printers yet, but the number of people is growing rapidly, so this is more an idea that is looking to the future, basically to 'get in first' :)

Berto

Driving a Plow Truck
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
May 19, 2013
Austin, TX
I don't think I've been clear enough, that's my fault, I'll try clear it up for you now:

- A designer produces a 3d design, they put it on my marketplace
- My marketplace sells this '3d design' to consumers
- The consumer buys the '3d design', and actually prints it themselves at home, with their own 3d printer.

Most people don't have 3d printers yet, but the number of people is growing rapidly, so this is more an idea that is looking to the future, basically to 'get in first'

I've bolded a huge problem. Why not solve that for now?

Here's what you could also explore:

1. Engineer (without a 3d printer) designs some prototype in CAD or whatever.
2. Your system finds bidders on who will print and ship the design. Would need tracking and all that... Maybe the printer guy can sell add-ons
3. You take your cut on everything, and get everyone's info for marketing.

Your original idea works alongside it, but right now, you'd have too low of a number of paying customers, and you need to incentivize them to get onto your site. I'd do that by offering them an opportunity to make some money back on their printer.

Now they're in your system, and they can also buy stuff from it that others are selling.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I don't know a lot about the 3D printing business but I love the idea.

This type of technology is where millionaires and billionaires will be made as they foresee the big changes ahead, and get in before the crowd.

I can envision this being similar to selling blueprints for custom homes, which can sell for hundreds, sometimes thousands.

codo3500

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Jun 6, 2013
Out of curiosity, what happened with this idea?
Hey mate,

Basically we decided to go after low hanging fruit before this. This would take years to pay off, and would be much easier if we already had cash from an existing business. This is still an idea I want to pursue, but not until I make something easier work first and pay off.

skekasaurus

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Feb 17, 2013
Texas
This would take years to pay off

Thanks for getting responding so quickly. The decision makes sense, just wondered if you had completely discarded this idea. The idea totally vibes with me, and can definitely see it having potential in the future.

Found myself looking through some of your threads :p, and of all the ideas I think I liked this one the most. It was also really interesting to read about your experiences doing the delivery venture. You've definitely got the drive, wish you the best in all that you do.

codo3500

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Jun 6, 2013
Thanks for getting responding so quickly. The decision makes sense, just wondered if you had completely discarded this idea. The idea totally vibes with me, and can definitely see it having potential in the future.

Found myself looking through some of your threads :p, and of all the ideas I think I liked this one the most. It was also really interesting to read about your experiences doing the delivery venture. You've definitely got the drive, wish you the best in all that you do.
No problem at all mate! To be honest, this is the best idea I've ever had. If I had a passive income already, this is the one I'd work on. Hell, if I had enough money to retire, I'd still do this idea. But there are definitely *better* projects out there as far as making money.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.