The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Non Fiction Self Publishing (printed book) - Help!

df1992

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
May 26, 2020
London
Hi Guys,

Does anyone have any experience on creating their own non fiction book, getting it printed themselves and then selling it?

Basically I have a book I'm working on which is a silly funny book with a loads of drawings in it. I've made a couple of sample pages and so far it's got a good reception on people who have seen it, but it's clear it's very much a "Christmas gift" type book (which I'm fine with, hopefully I can make a sweet return to invest into the next idea). The book is very dependent on those drawings and will not suit and e-reader format.

I've been looking into the prices of getting books printed and blimey they are high. The cheapest I've managed to find is a supplier I use in China for my other product which could print the books for $4.50 a piece (with a minimum order of 1000, book type 8.5" x 8.5", hardbook, 80# glossy paper). The book's illustrations will cost about £1000 and the book should retail at £7.99-8.99 and I want it to feel like a quality book (as more likely than not it will be a gift).

I plan to go directly to retailers to sell it (but it's not leaving me too much room for margin) as well as selling on Amazon.

Doing the sums it's looking a bit tight.

Any ideas on how to reduce the cost?

Ps. Increasing the price isn't really an option, I'd say I'm at the ceiling of what people would be willing to pay.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
May 1, 2011
Just do print on demand with Amazon KDP for paperback and IngramSpark for hardcover.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.