The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Opportunities in Chrome Extension Development

Idea threads

mav55339

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Jun 2, 2023

brainy

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jul 23, 2023
Chrome Extensions, disobey many laws of CENTS Framework. I won't say it's an all-in way to achieve Fastlane.

mav55339

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Jun 2, 2023
In either case I would be paying a developer to build it.
I think I would violate control with a chrome extension.
The app will no doubt cost more to build due to more code.
Which route do you guys think is better?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

circleme

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jan 17, 2023
In either case I would be paying a developer to build it.
I think I would violate control with a chrome extension.
The app will no doubt cost more to build due to more code.
Which route do you guys think is better?
Hi mav,

I think the answer in my post from @eliquid will help you. I'm going the chrome extension into Full / Stand-alone SaaS route. MARKETING - SAAS / APPS - Marketplace vs. Self-Hosted SaaS Launch (A question of Control?) Help needed.

The only issue that you may have is the fact that you can't always build a standalone SaaS app on top of your chrome extension. Reason: technically, they are quite different and you can't access everything within your chrome extension in your standalone saas and vice versa.

mav55339

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Jun 2, 2023
Hi mav,

I think the answer in my post from @eliquid will help you. I'm going the chrome extension into Full / Stand-alone SaaS route. MARKETING - SAAS / APPS - Marketplace vs. Self-Hosted SaaS Launch (A question of Control?) Help needed.

The only issue that you may have is the fact that you can't always build a standalone SaaS app on top of your chrome extension. Reason: technically, they are quite different and you can't access everything within your chrome extension in your standalone saas and vice versa.
Thanks. I prefer the chrome extension path because of their simplicity.

circleme

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jan 17, 2023
I know this is from a few years ago. What exactly does it mean? Do I have to use square or PayPal to get paid? I am going the Chrome extensions route to achieve fastlane.

Thanks.
yeah, they had their own payment gateway back in the days and now you can use other payment service providers like paypal, stripe, etc. some people are even going the gumroad route, where they have to purchase a licence key. After that developers are then able to check if they licence key is a already purchased one: Licence key inserted from user in chrome extension === licence key from a paid user).

@mav55339 It seems like you have a lot of questions regarding Chrome Extensions. I'm by no means an expert but I too have focused my time on building and selling a chrome extension. If you have any questions, we can have a chat if you want. There is a really good thread in here from @Tau Ceti who has built a successful Chrome Extension. Here is his thread:

Chrome Extensions, disobey many laws of CENTS Framework. I won't say it's an all-in way to achieve Fastlane.
Exactly one, and that is Control. You can - in some cases - just transition from an Chrome Extension to a standalone Web App in order to get the Control back. Basically you can migrate your chrome users to your new web app. Not the best thing to do, but at least you have possibilities.

mav55339

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Jun 2, 2023
I am putting a Chrome Extension project on Upwork this weekend to get some offers from developers. Should I choose a general Chrome extension or one for businesses to use? It will be a copycat of an already existing extension and I will see if I can find 3 to 5 value skews or more for it.

My goals:

Within 2 months of extension development, have it replace my income and pay the bills. Only 2k per month.

By the end of the year, have multiple Chrome Extensions built or have the single Chrome Extension earning at least 5k per month.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Which audience is easier to target with marketing?
Which product offers most skew and unique, clear advantage?

Both markets are large enough to not really make a difference in terms of market size.

circleme

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jan 17, 2023
Should I choose a general Chrome extension or one for businesses to use?
Can you explain that a little bit more please?

It will be a copycat of an already existing extension and I will see if I can find 3 to 5 value skews or more for it.
How did you find that solution? Why did you choose exactly the one that you chose?

mav55339

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Jun 2, 2023
I am putting a Chrome Extension project on Upwork this weekend to get some offers from developers. Should I choose a general Chrome extension or one for businesses to use? It will be a copycat of an already existing extension and I will see if I can find 3 to 5 value skews or more for it.

My goals:

Within 2 months of extension development, have it replace my income and pay the bills. Only 2k per month.

By the end of the year, have multiple Chrome Extensions built or have the single Chrome Extension earning at least 5k per month.
Fpund

My goals:

Found this awesome article with plenty of good ideas for Chrome Extensions.

mav55339

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Jun 2, 2023
Which of these ideas do you think has the best chance of success?

1. An extension that let's you send email campaigns from Gmail. Charge about 10 dollars monthly.

2. A productivity extension that blocks the things that distract you. Charge about 5 dollars monthly.

3. An ad block ex that blocks more than just Google ads. Charge 1 to 5 dollars monthly.

4. An extension that let's developers easily view and modify CSS rules on web pages. Charge 20 dollars monthly.

5. Anything else you guys can think of.

I will see if chatgpt can make this. If not I will pay a good developer around 3k to do it.

Tau Ceti

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Sep 15, 2014
Stockholm, Sweden
Nobody can answer that question for you. But most of those have been done before.

What are you bringing to the table that's different than these existing extensions? What is your value skew? Please don't say AI !

Building is easy, marketing is hard. How are going to acquire users? Those are the questions you need to ask yourself.

mav55339

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Jun 2, 2023
Here are 9 chrome extension ideas.

Which of these sounds like a good idea in your opinion?

DoTheWork

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jun 12, 2019
You've posted several threads asking a similar thing. What have you done to make progress on this outside of waiting for responses on this forum?

You're unlikely to get any responses to this unless you go into more detail and explain what you're trying to do. This is not a place for handouts.

Tau Ceti

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Sep 15, 2014
Stockholm, Sweden
Mate what are you doing? You keep posting the same question as if the answer is going to be different this time. Just pick one and get to work.

Whats the point of creating a new thread to as the same question? It doesn't make you look good.

mav55339

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Jun 2, 2023
What type of Chrome Extension would bring you value that you'd pay for monthly? I am testing the chrome extension market and my goal is to have a chrome extension built that provides the most value to the most amount of people I can.

OR

What things can be improved on an existing chrome extension that's popular? I am more focused on this option as I won't have to start completely from zero and I can hopefully find some good value skews.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Bence Ur

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Aug 24, 2023
#landfill
Why do you think that? Google Chrome has 3.2 billion users. But there are only ~137,000 extensions for Chrome.
In contrast, there are 2 billion Apple users and 1.6 million apps for them.

To the OP: here is a fresh report on Chrome extensions, it contains some great insights: Chrome Extensions: ChatGPT, Pink Oceans, No-Code Tools - Trends.vc

You need to release some extensions as MVP and test the market. You can't ask "what would you pay for". You need to see if you can find some actual paying users for your extensions.

Tau Ceti

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Sep 15, 2014
Stockholm, Sweden
Why do you think that? Google Chrome has 3.2 billion users. But there are only ~137,000 extensions for Chrome.
In contrast, there are 2 billion Apple users and 1.6 million apps for them.

To the OP: here is a fresh report on Chrome extensions, it contains some great insights: Chrome Extensions: ChatGPT, Pink Oceans, No-Code Tools - Trends.vc

You need to release some extensions as MVP and test the market. You can't ask "what would you pay for". You need to see if you can find some actual paying users for your extensions.
I am saying #landfill because the OP has been asking similar questions in the last few days and I have answered them and also explained that his questions are not specific enough to warrant a response.

What type of Chrome Extension would bring you value that you'd pay for monthly?

This kind of question makes no sense. A better question would be: I am thinking of creating a note taking app and I plan to have these features in it. Is this something that would pay for?

But once again it doesn't address the fact that OP asks questions, gets some answers, then never replies to anyone and goes on to create another thread a few days later with more or less the same question.

Finally I have said to OP in a previous thread that he is unlikely to find the answers he is looking for because he needs to ask his target customers what they think of his idea. No some random person on TMF who most likely will never buy from OP.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
@mav55339 -- if you continue to repost the same threads with different titles, you will be removed from the forum. This is your only warning. We don't need 14 threads on Chrome extensions. Understood?

mav55339

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Jun 2, 2023
First off, from this point onward, any time I make a post about chrome extensions I will not be asking anyone for ideas. I will just be submitting my own ideas for feedback.

Now, I have a few chrome extension ideas.

1. An extension that automatically checks the coupon box for products on Amazon. This will make it so people will never forget to check the box to save money because it will do it for them. I don't know if an extension can be auto activated when going to a certain website but if it can be that's how it would work. I would probably charge 1 to 5 dollars per month with this. Even the average shopper on Amazon would save significantly more than the monthly cost of the extension.

2. An extension that removes all traces of your browsing history. The extension will automatically clear your browsing history once you close chrome and it will scan your computer for threats. It would also free up much needed disk space and prevent nosy people from looking at your history. I'd charge 5 or so dollars monthly.

3. A chatgpt chrome extension that can work like Grammarly/Quillbot. Would charge 70 or 80 percent of what Grammarly charges monthly.

4. An extension that let's managers track their employees internet searching. It will block all websites that aren't allowed to be used. Obviously only the manager will be able to control it. Think of it as an adblocker but for websites kind of. I would charge 20 to 50 dollars monthly.

5. An extension that can search multiple websites for a product you want to buy looking for the cheapest price including the shipping cost and taxes. I would charge 10 dollars monthly.

6. An extension that automatically saves anything you're writing or creating every 5 minutes. This avoids losing everything when something happens.(power outage, computer shuts down etc.) I would charge 5 dollars monthly.

7. An extension that finds the cheapest plane tickets. I would charge 5 to 10 dollars monthly.

8. An adblocker extension that blocks ads on social media sites. I would charge 1 to 5 dollars monthly.

I am going to have a developer on Upwork make this. I will use Google ads for marketing to get it off the ground.

Which one do you think I should choose and why?

Thanks guys.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
First off, from this point onward, any time I make a post about chrome extensions I will not be asking anyone for ideas. I will just be submitting my own ideas for feedback.

Now, I have a few chrome extension ideas.

1. An extension that automatically checks the coupon box for products on Amazon. This will make it so people will never forget to check the box to save money because it will do it for them. I don't know if an extension can be auto activated when going to a certain website but if it can be that's how it would work. I would probably charge 1 to 5 dollars per month with this. Even the average shopper on Amazon would save significantly more than the monthly cost of the extension.

2. An extension that removes all traces of your browsing history. The extension will automatically clear your browsing history once you close chrome and it will scan your computer for threats. It would also free up much needed disk space and prevent nosy people from looking at your history. I'd charge 5 or so dollars monthly.

3. A chatgpt chrome extension that can work like Grammarly/Quillbot. Would charge 70 or 80 percent of what Grammarly charges monthly.

4. An extension that let's managers track their employees internet searching. It will block all websites that aren't allowed to be used. Obviously only the manager will be able to control it. Think of it as an adblocker but for websites kind of. I would charge 20 to 50 dollars monthly.

5. An extension that can search multiple websites for a product you want to buy looking for the cheapest price including the shipping cost and taxes. I would charge 10 dollars monthly.

6. An extension that automatically saves anything you're writing or creating every 5 minutes. This avoids losing everything when something happens.(power outage, computer shuts down etc.) I would charge 5 dollars monthly.

7. An extension that finds the cheapest plane tickets. I would charge 5 to 10 dollars monthly.

8. An adblocker extension that blocks ads on social media sites. I would charge 1 to 5 dollars monthly.

I am going to have a developer on Upwork make this. I will use Google ads for marketing to get it off the ground.

Which one do you think I should choose and why?

Thanks guys.

Wow.

You just can't follow instructions can you.

For F*ck's sake, we don't need your 19th thread on Chrome extensions.

Congratulations on reaching moderation purgatory. Don't bother responding as your post won't be approved.

Folks, if I seem perpetually cranky around here with a negative affect, having to deal with this every morning is why.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.