The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Packaged Website Idea

Idea threads

premiumleo

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Feb 1, 2012
Toronto, Canada
I figure, a forum focused on idea generation would be the best place to have my idea critiqued. All constructive criticism is welcome.

Overview

My current business is web development. Everyone and their grandmother is doing web development, and from anywhere in the world.
Not a big deal, but the real issue I'm having is prospecting for offline clients, then having to chase them for content and, finally, collecting the cash.

Instead, what I'm thinking of doing is a "order a website in a box" concept.

Idea:

1. Client goes to sales/squeeze page

2. Fills in certain criteria/uploads some content

3. Immediately processes transaction (ie. $495 USD)

4. Website is created using a generic/professional wordpress theme that is manually customized based on previous client input

5. Additional add-ons include directory listings/Search engine listing/facebook page/easy stuff

Benefits

1. Transaction occurs online, and before project starts

2. Product is generic, simple and semi-customized

3. Costs/time/ambiguity is minimized

4. Once the semi-automated process is set, then generating traffic is only issue.

So thoughts? Thanks.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

piotrkrzyzek

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Jun 22, 2011
Glenview, IL
I love the idea of packaged products. Why? Cause I'm a consultant specializing in high end development and design, and I've seen all too often people say something like "we love what you offer but cannot afford it right now", which makes me offer less value options which in turn takes more time and lower ROI for me.

The one thing I'd worry about is collecting client information for customizations. I spend a lot of time with my clients getting to know them, their business and their dog if I have to (and if it's not one of those "ZOMG it's going to rip my face off" types).

From what your telling me so far, you're going for the client that knows what they want right? As you've probably experienced before, not every client knows what they want so asking for 'some' information is great. The rest you might have to still call them and work out the details.

Which brings me to the final point: if someone doesn't fill in enough information, I'd have 'something' ready ... some process, company protocol, some systematic way to handle way to handle a lack of information and a way to handle an unhappy client.

Experience speaking here, you as the professional are responsible for getting the correct information out of the client, not them.

Other than that, you've got a great idea there mate.

Quick note on traffic generation: unless you are providing traffic generating services as an option ... it's not your place to worry about it. They ordered a product (the site + design) and that's what they got.

Cheers,

tincho1492

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Aug 7, 2011
Uruguay
You could create a wizard where customers put how many pages they want for their website. And for each page you ask them only what is the objective of that page so you should have a pre-designed layout for each objective.

By objective I'm talking about a page to receive messages from the website, or an ecommerce page, etc. Hope you understand what I mean.

premiumleo

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Feb 1, 2012
Toronto, Canada
The one thing I'd worry about is collecting client information for customizations. I spend a lot of time with my clients getting to know them, their business and their dog if I have to (and if it's not one of those "ZOMG it's going to rip my face off" types).

From what your telling me so far, you're going for the client that knows what they want right? As you've probably experienced before, not every client knows what they want so asking for 'some' information is great. The rest you might have to still call them and work out the details.

Which brings me to the final point: if someone doesn't fill in enough information, I'd have 'something' ready ... some process, company protocol, some systematic way to handle way to handle a lack of information and a way to handle an unhappy client.

Quick note on traffic generation: unless you are providing traffic generating services as an option ... it's not your place to worry about it. They ordered a product (the site + design) and that's what they got.

As far as collecting info, I agree that the client rarely knows what they really want (web dev is not their specialty). Getting the correct information is in the details.

And as far as traffic, I meant, for generating traffic to my site for transactions to occur.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

mayana

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Apr 26, 2011
Georgia, USA
I love this idea. If you can figure out how to get the information from the customer about what their needs/wants are for their site AND can really demonstrate that it really is custom to what they are looking for AND can get the word out about your site, it will be very easy to pull this off.

Tons of people want websites and have no idea how to go about doing it. I'm not sure about the $495 price point. You'll have to figure out what your other costs are, and how much time you will spend answering/helping/maintaining, etc... Remember that there are a ton of places where people can get websites for free or small monthly amounts (albeit non-customized).

MJM

PARKED
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
May 4, 2012
If you can make it look good then I think you would have many customers.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.