The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Practicing CENTS - My first business Idea.

Idea threads

JophMax

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Jan 28, 2023
Hello there.

I'm an electronics engineering student who doesn't want to spend the rest of his life working like a mule to get only Saturday and Sunday. And since I'm currently working on ideas for my thesis, I figured out I could practice my productocracy-seeking muscles too by making some CENTS out of It.

My first idea is an inexpensive water filtering system for residential uses in my Country (Venezuela).

You see, getting clean water isn't a big problem in the US. But if you take a look at third-world countries, untreated water is an alarming cause of lots of illnesses. Just this week, one of my little cousins was hospitalized because of bacteria inside the water that was "clean".

We don't drink dirty water from a well or anything like that. We simply take 20 lt jars to businesses that dedicate themselves to refilling them with supposed spring water. I say supposed because most of these stores just take water from the sink and make It seem like It went through an arduous filtering process.

Then why not buy filters for your own house?

The problem is, commercial filters are really expensive, the "cheapest" being 70$, a price that many households prefer to spend on food and essential resources.

Is It viable?

For now, It's just an idea and I'll need to make a further analysis of the price of Its components and how to get them here. But, for now, doing a quick CENTS Analysis we have:

Control: It will take looking for manufacturers and different fabrication techniques to figure out this. Since everything Venezuelans use is imported, I figure out I will depend on a shopping website like Amazon for the parts at the beginning.

Entry: This is a big, big problem, yet there aren't many businesses that dedicate themselves to selling filters. I have only seen a couple of reverse osmosis filters in water refill businesses from my city, yet nothing like an affordable filter is being sold. It also requires knowledge and lots of time, things that people either don't have or aren't interested in.

Need: Well, needless to say, people crave a filter that isn't worth 70$. The state of illnesses in the country and the low supply of potable water make people complain, a lot. I do hear complaints about the quality of the water at least weekly, so there's a market for It.

Time: In the beginning, I won't have the tools to create a high amount of units, So It'll take me lots of time. However, If all goes well, I'll be able to take care of It through outsourcing or other means.

Scale: By Having blueprints and schematics for the filter and the right contacts, lots of units can be produced. Yet, in the beginning, I find that I won't have any scale.

That being said, my potential TAM isn't only limited to my country, but all nations that have problems with drinking water. So It can be worth a try.

Feel Free to Roast my Idea and give me feedback. I'm all ears.

Thank you for reading!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

RightyTighty

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
205%
May 31, 2023
Arkansas
When I read your post it made me think of the Zeer clay pot refrigeration system. Perhaps a ceramic filter system could be manufactured locally utilizing readily available materials, something similar to this:

Research is needed to determine if you are trying to filter parasites, bacteria, or viruses. I don’t believe any mechanical filter short of RO can filter viruses (Giardia and the like). UV will kill viruses, but the price point might be prohibitive.

I really like your idea, especially if you could boost the local economy as well. Best of luck!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.