• Forum Upgrades Ongoing: Please pardon the dust. Starting Saturday and for the next 48 hours, the forum will be undergoing style modifications and may not appear as normal. Please be patient as modifications are performed. Updates on the progress can be found here. Thanks for your patience! ~ MJ DeMarco

EXECUTION Progress Thread /// Designing & Manufacturing Physical Products

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 38,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Registration at the forum removes this block.

AmazingLarry

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
LEGACY MEMBER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Post/Like Ratio
189%
Register now
You must login or register for fastlane membership to view hidden content on this page.
This is a long post, so here is the TL/DR:
  • Consolidating progress threads (some on the inside) after 5 years on the forum.
  • Previous major business projects include two failed businesses in Korea, freelance engineering, and a personal care invention
  • Also started and stopped a camper van conversion business
  • For the past 1.5 years, been focusing on my nonprofit organization and rebuilding a house
  • Refocusing now with 2 paths ahead
    • RV & Camper Van Products: Pivot from van conversion business. First product will be commonly used electrical component
    • Industrial Vision System Accessories: Products for machine vision systems. Targeting higher-end business market.
  • Next Steps: Validate market need by creating product rendering and trying to pre-sell, the decide on one of the two options

Hey Everyone!

Welcome to my new progress thread.

I have a couple existing progress threads on the INSIDE, but it's time to consolidate and share more now that the forum is private.

It's been five years since joining the forum, and these are some of the things I've worked on since then:
  • Attempted to start two businesses while living in South Korea. They both ended prematurely because of work visa issues.
  • Started doing freelance mechanical engineering for US clients while in Korea. Made some profit and did a variety of interesting and strange projects.
  • Moved back to the U.S. and started pursuing an invention (personal care product). Hit a dead end with the patent process last month and decided to move on for now (the product is too easy to copy and the investment to get it off the ground is too risky without IP protection).
  • Started a camper van conversion business.
    • Bought, converted and sold my own van (plus a 3 month road trip somewhere in between), then converted a van for a complete stranger.
    • Made some money on this, the customer loved it, and (most) people on YouTube love it. Of course there are some haters, but I consider this a good sign.
    • Stopped this project last spring after the second conversion for a few reasons and likely won't continue.
    • This type of business doesn't align with my long-term goals, but I still consider it a success and learned a ton.
    • One of my next potential projects is a pivot on this business, but more on that later.

Complimentary van picture:

van.jpg

After the Van Business

In the past year and a half (after stopping the van business), the focus has been completely on my nonprofit and fixing some urgent things in my old-a$$ house that I bought (sill beams so rotten they practically turned to dust...AGH!) Getting the nonprofit off the ground was a much bigger endeavor and time commitment than I expected, but I think it's worth it.

Honestly, these were just a higher priority at the time, so business stuff has been on pause since then. This was stressing me out for a bit, but I've realized it's OK and life has its seasons.

I can't really talk about business endeavors without bringing the nonprofit into the picture.

This endeavor is so fulfilling, I'm deeply invested in it, and it's really the primary impact I want to have moving ahead in life (a major WHY for me).

For the past two years, the nonprofit has brought a group of high-school aged orphans from South Korea to the US during the summer for a language/culture program. Without all the details, the trip has a surprisingly big impact on the kid's outlook, goals and life dreams. The future aim of the organization is to continue and grow our program, but also support lots of kids across Korea each year as they age out of the orphanage through scholarships and study abroad programs.

Highlight of my year:
nonprofit.jpg

Back to Business

Back to the business side of things, a couple months ago I had a very helpful conversation with @ZCP (thanks again BTW) and took some time to refocus and consider what end result I'm aiming for and how I can leverage existing opportunities and skills.

The end result I'm envisioning is a business that provides the finances and flexibility to own property in Korea, travel back and forth freely and finance major portions of the nonprofit.

If I can make products that sell well, as this scales I'm envisioning a highly automated facility with a few employees that build the products.

CREATING physical products that people LOVE and get excited about is another huge part of it.
I've experienced this through a variety of ways, and it's truly an amazing feeling.
I'm good at it and believe this is the best way I can create value.

All that to say, I'm now in a place where I'm ready to get back into it and approach this with more strategy, time-management and long-term vision. The past projects have provided invaluable lessons as I move ahead and focus on one area for the next 5+ years.

Area of Focus: Physical Product Design & Manufacturing Business

To get more specific, out of many different product ideas there are now two that I am focusing on.
  1. RV & Camper Van Products
  2. Industrial Vision System Accessories

RV & Camper Van Products

This would be the pivot from the camper van conversion business. The plan is to start with one product (an electrical component/assembly) where I identified a need during building and see opportunity for value skew. This product has a few thousand Google searches per month, and similar volume of similar products being sold on Amazon each month.

There is a lot of potential for future growth in this business. I have numerous other products to create based on real needs that I discovered during the van building process.

This is also a growing market. Although the demand for conversion services has gone down significantly in the past couple years, and numerous conversion companies have gone out of business, more people are just going the DIY route. This overall trend is still going up though, so selling products should be a good bet. Either way, I can sell DIY customers directly to businesses that build RVs and camper vans.

I have some momentum in this area already, and my van YouTube channel gained 1100+ subscribers from just one video that I posted and ghosted.
These are not paying customers (yet), but it shows there is potential here for a great marketing channel. People love the van content and get very invested.

On top of all that, this is an exciting and fun industry to be involved in.

Industrial Vision System Accessories

This need was discovered through my day job as an engineer where I design a variety of custom machines and equipment for different customers.
The accessories would be off the shelf products for many different brands of machine vision cameras, lights, and other components.

I spoke with a vision system sales rep about this already, and he agrees there is a need in this area.

As far as specific demand, it's hard to tell. People don't really search for this much online, and the primary sales channel would most likely be through company reps or distributors.

This is a bit less exciting than the van stuff, BUT selling to businesses like this is appealing.
Prices would likely be on the higher side compared to the RV products since this would be targeted toward higher-end manufacturing.

This is another industry where I have experience and more ideas for equipment to sell.
I decided on something that is on the smaller size and easier to manufacture/ship, and save the bigger equipment for down the road.

Why These?

I can design and manufacture both of these products with fairly low startup costs (I have free access to a full machine shop), they would both scale well with plenty of opportunity for growth in the industry, and both options also play well into my skills and experience of designing, building and selling products.

What's Next?

Confirm these solve a true need and that there is demand as quickly as possible by engaging with the market.
Get some data, then choose which one to focus on.
  • For the RV product, I will create a few product renderings and pre-sell them on Facebook groups or other communities.
  • For the vision system accessories, I will do something similar. Create 2-3 initial concept designs and renderings, then present them to sales reps to get their buy-in.

Going forward, I'll post updates in this thread to track progress.

Feedback, criticisms or advice are welcome.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Yes Yes Yes!

I’m super excited to read your future progress and I am also willing to be as much helpful as possible.

I love to have another inventor around.

Zit Zit Zit!

O’n taqis iydovif vu sief zuas gavasi qsuhsitt epf O en emtu xommoph vu ci et nadj jimqgam et quttocmi.

O muwi vu jewi epuvjis opwipvus esuapf.

Vjeplt nep! Eqqsidoevi ov.

O'wi ciip gummuxoph zuas vjsief e cov vuu, epf ov muult exituni.

O vjopl xi nez jewi emtu cuvj ciip up upi ug vji opwipvus demmt ev vji teni voni, cav puv tasi.

Uj Siemmz? O fofp’v lpux vjev!
O’wi ciip up vji Opwipvus demmt tunivonit, nezci ov duamf ci

Ziej, nz siem peni ot Suc (puv Messz). O duamf ci sinincisoph xuph jeje!

Aqfevi gus vji xiil.
  • Fiwimuqif e fiveomif dupdiqv gus vji wotoup tztvin eddittusoit vjev O dep dunnapodevi vu temit siqt
  • Siedjif uav vu ev mietv 10 foggisipv fotvsocavust gus wotoup tztvint. O'mm ci vemloph vu tuni ug vjin vjot dunoph xiil vu iyqmeop nz ofiet epf hiv giifcedl.
  • Tvesvif e dupwistevoup xovj vji uxpis ug e dunqepz xju nelit tonomes qsufadvt. Etlif jon ecuav finepf epf ji tezt ov't figopovimz e podji qsufadv, cav ji jet duptotvipv temit gsun disveop datvunist uwis vji ziest. Vji xictovi ot vissocmi epf muult moli ov't gsun vji 90t, tu vjisi tjuamf ci nusi quvipvoem xovj civvis neslivoph epf onqsuwif fitohp.
  • Meof uav vji gostv vxu wistoupt ug vji SW qsufadv vjev O xepv vu qsitipv vu vji dunnapovz.
  • Guapf/nefi 3F nufimt gus emm vji foggisipv dunqupipvt.
  • Vjot dunoph xiil O'mm ci dsievoph vji sipfisopht epf qutvoph e gix qmedit upmopi.

Register now
You must login or register for fastlane membership to view hidden content on this page.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Back